Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think the shared universe thing is not going to work for long.

Just look at where several of them are now-

DCCU- Back to the drawing board after JL tanked

‘Dark Universe’- probably dead

Sony and their Spider-Man related things- Venom will likely get made, but I doubt much will happen beyond that

Fox Marvel stuff- Fantastic Four bombed, which scrapped their plans for a shared universe with the X-Men properties. Whatever is not already in production is probably going to get killed by the merger. Gambit is probably one of those casualties since i know Deadpool 2/X-Men Dark Phoenix/New Mutants are all coming out in 2018 and are virtually finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fox Marvel stuff- Fantastic Four bombed, which scrapped their plans for a shared universe with the X-Men properties. Whatever is not already in production is probably going to get killed by the merger. Gambit is probably one of those casualties since i know Deadpool 2/X-Men Dark Phoenix/New Mutants are all coming out in 2018 and are virtually finished.

Gambit (lol, still can't believe this is a thing) starts shooting in February and the soonest the Disney / Fox deal will close is 2019, with Disney probably not taking full operational control until 2020 or 2021, so that's safe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Fury pweened, sorry for your bad taste, folks.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm gonna wait till I see Bright before I take those critics words, cause honestly those blurbs seem pretty far up their own asses.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Shared universe can work and work very well but Marvel establishes their foothold properly for family entertainment and built a sort of brand of approvals with their name. People seem to know what to expect from their studio movies and it satisfies them. Even the others work well as far as money but it doesn’t have the prestige or desired buzz like Marvels brand does.

Marvel doesn’t even do the shares universe as well as it could be done to achieve potential even.

And shared universe has even been done in TV before and well, they’re called crossovers.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

K. Waste posted:

Come on, man, when has Rotten Tomatoes ever steered you wrong?

RT is one of those weird beasts that can be very good, but only if you use it right. Not very many people do, and thus the "Certified Fresh" label is lauded and followed like a guiding star by most who forget some very important things: 1) there are a lot of reviewers, and even though some are certified, anyone can become one; 2) critics are just as capable as anyone else of being swept up in a wave of undeserved praise or scorn; 3) a final score being a binary between good and un-good is a damned terrible way to evaluate something like movies. Thus, a lot of boring heinous poo poo is lauded as mostly good while truly interesting and visionary movies get lumped mostly in the middle because those sorts of movies usually defy consensus. Yet, RT keeps being brought up because it's an easy site in which to find, and follow, good critics that you like individually; Metacritic has far too small a pool of critics, and though they list the name of their critics now, they didn't always used to, and iMDB, despite having the greatest collection of movies due to being one of the oldest sites on the Internet, cuts out the critical element altogether. So Rotten Tomatoes is imperfect, but since it has allowed me to find and follow critics that seem to have actually watched movies before, who don't dismiss melodrama because it's melodrama, who see cliches and tropes as tools and not missteps to be dinged, and who do not frequently fall into the gapingly obvious traps laid by a half-good satirist, well... I can't really say it's been a blight on my life.

(Though that other type of critic can be fun to read and follow, in a "point and laugh at this horrible idiot" way... though I have to be in the right mood for that. Can't watch CinemaSins anymore, for example; Jeremy has broken me.)

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

feedmyleg posted:

Better be called Brighter, with a trilogy capper called Brightest.

50 Shades Brighter

Timby posted:

Gambit (lol, still can't believe this is a thing) starts shooting in February and the soonest the Disney / Fox deal will close is 2019, with Disney probably not taking full operational control until 2020 or 2021, so that's safe.

I refuse to believe this is a thing until the movie is out on Blu-ray.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gambit is awesome people. I don't understand how YOU don't understand that. A ragin Cajun master theif who fights with a bo staff, and has the power to charge up things and make them explode, and throws playing cards as if they were Ninja stars? Played by Channing Tatum?!

What kind of cynical jaded fucker doesn't want that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Enos Cabell posted:

Suicide Squad was bad. Fury was just OK.

Sabotage sucked

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Gambit is awesome people. I don't understand how YOU don't understand that. A ragin Cajun master theif who fights with a bo staff, and has the power to charge up things and make them explode, and throws playing cards as if they were Ninja stars? Played by Channing Tatum?!

quote:

I don't think so Tim

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I were Gambit I would charge up your post and make it explode

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gatts posted:

No “The Brightening: The First Bright” ? Or is that the 4th part that’s a prequel.

Bright with a Vengeance

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

end of watch was basically the scene in tropic thunder where RDJ and Stiller are crying and mumbling "you're my brother" stretched into an entire movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

Sabotage sucked

Wrong.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Sabotage sucked
Worst movie I've seen in the last 10 years.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

sabotage was p bad

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
If Arnold is in it, I watched it and liked it. Yes, even that lovely movie you are thinking of.

E: I immediately thought of that Gunther movie and want to adjust this post, but here we are

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Firstborn posted:

If Arnold is in it, I watched it and liked it. Yes, even that lovely movie you are thinking of.

E: I immediately thought of that Gunther movie and want to adjust this post, but here we are

Is that the plane crash revenge movie?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is that the plane crash revenge movie?

No, that’s Aftermath. I get them confused all the time as well, for some reason.

Sabotage is the one where he’s a dirty DEA agent who steals millions from drug dealers and then his team starts getting picked off one by one.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I really liked how grossly violent and grungy Sabotage was. Felt very early-90s to me. It also made Sam Worthington interesting.

I didn't really care for the ending and the whole thing felt a little choppy, like they just excised chunks of it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

AceOfFlames posted:

Sabotage is the one where he’s a dirty DEA agent who steals millions from drug dealers and then his team starts getting picked off one by one.

I know full well what Sabotage is.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Gunther is that mockumentary that looked awful about a lot of assassins trying to kill another assassin, I believe.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Sabotage is easily Ayers' worst film, but still pretty good.

Fury is magnificent, though. One of the best of 2014, a tough year.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

K. Waste posted:

Sabotage is easily Ayers' worst film, but still pretty good.

Sabotage is absolute garbage and repeating the phrase "droppin rear end" does not make a movie good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Having recently caught up on Fury and Sabotage (Sabotage good, Fury excellent), I'm starting to think Ayer is at least as good at casting as Zack Snyder.

Dude made Joe Manganiello interesting to me, and that guy is almost always a complete non-starter for me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Unoriginal Name posted:

Sabotage is absolute garbage and repeating the phrase "droppin rear end" does not make a movie good.

I thought the mustaches were a nice touch.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dear Netflix

My stupid kids have expensive tastes

-Will Smith

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Casimir Radon posted:

Dear Netflix

My stupid kids have expensive tastes

-Will Smith

Will Smith's kids own.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Timby posted:

Having recently caught up on Fury and Sabotage (Sabotage good, Fury excellent), I'm starting to think Ayer is at least as good at casting as Zack Snyder.

Dude made Joe Manganiello interesting to me, and that guy is almost always a complete non-starter for me.

He made Jai Courtney in Suicide Squad and Sam Worthington in Sabotage (someone here called him "white supremacist Fred Durst" I believe) actually interesting. He's kind of a miracle worker.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

He made Jai Courtney in Suicide Squad and Sam Worthington in Sabotage (someone here called him "white supremacist Fred Durst" I believe) actually interesting. He's kind of a miracle worker.

And in Suicide Squad, he immediately kills off Adam Beach, one of the worst nothingburger actors ever, which is amazing.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Fury was pretty great but that third act completely undermined the entire theme of the movie up to that point, IMHO. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the result of studio interference: "Welp, we can't have an entire movie of showing Allied soldiers as little better than their enemy so here's a rah-rah Nazi murder fest for the third act!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Even if that were the theme of the movie (it isn't), it reinforces it, not undermines it.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcSMdhfKga4

Mama Mia 2: Here we Go Again with a post trailer cameo reveal that left me shaking

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Gambit hasn't been relevant in like 20 years

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcSMdhfKga4

Mama Mia 2: Here we Go Again with a post trailer cameo reveal that left me shaking

I can't wait to hear Pierce Brosnan sing like a bear defending its young again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nostalgia is based on 20 year cycles. Everyone going to movies now watched him 20 years ago in a cartoon

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

A movie where a hunky dude makes funny quips at the camera?

Pshh that'll never work!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The Saddest Rhino posted:

honestly i was having some hope for the bad orc film until the trailer shows will smith stepping on a faerie yelling "Faerie Lives Matter!" as a joke

Yikes! I know he's playing a fictional character in this, but man do I get a "I'm not black, I'm OJ Will Smith!" vibe from alot of his roles these days.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh Jesus I had not heard of that line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

Yikes! I know he's playing a fictional character in this, but man do I get a "I'm not black, I'm OJ Will Smith!" vibe from alot of his roles these days.
I haven't gotten that sense from him, mostly that he's just been taking bad roles in general.

Maybe playing the genie will get him back on track. Guy Ritchie's shtick works a lot better with Aladdin than it does with King Arthur.

• Locked thread