Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How about anime Robin Hood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhm1z4MTbTE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is that the show where Marian wakes up Robin Hood and screams BAKA and hits him with a warhammer because he has morning wood?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Good news everyone!

Apparently ORC COP (aka Bright) is terrible!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

QuoProQuid posted:

It’s the superhero problem. How many times do I need to see Peter Parker get bit by that drat spider?

Less times than seeing Bruce Wayne's parents get shot, or Krypton blowing up.

(The last Spider-Man film briefly mentioned it, and that's it.)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Legend of Tarzan sidestepped most of the origin story because nobody needs to see that origin story again. What it did show was important to the plot and fit in nicely. It also didn't have a sequel hook.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Davros1 posted:

Less times than seeing Bruce Wayne's parents get shot, or Krypton blowing up.

(The last Spider-Man film briefly mentioned it, and that's it.)

And only two bits of dialogue, with Peter telling Ned he got bit by a spider, and Peter telling I forget who that May's had a rough time

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Good news everyone!

Netflix has already said that Will Smith has signed on for a sequel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

Remember how the last Robin Hood movie was also an origin story except for some reason they cast loving almost 50 year old Russell Crowe?

That's because that whole thing was thoroughly hosed with. When Scott was originally developing it with Crowe in mind, the script was called Nottingham, and the idea was that the Sheriff of Nottingham and Robin Hood were the same person. Scott and the studio got cold feet and it was re-tooled into a traditional story.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

DC Murderverse posted:

Good news everyone!

That is pretty good news, as the initial reviews for Greatest Showman, while not good, do not indicate the absolute train-wreck I was hoping for given the subject matter. (Seriously, PT Barnum was a bastard who exemplified the worst parts of capitalism; he should not be lionized or promoted at all and yet here we are). General consensus seems to be that it's total bullshit, but as a pure visual spectacle it isn't bad; no real vitriolic takes, yet, although this one from Vox is pretty good: "Right now there's something especially uncomfortable about watching a character based on the father of entertainment spectaculars praising exaggeration, falsehood, and ignorance for its pure pleasure value, reality be damned." Hell, :same:

OK, here's another good 'un: "In a broader sense, the mishmash does recall the real Barnum, who once sewed half a fish to half an ape and called it a mermaid." Well, at least I'm not alone.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Don't see why? The Magna Carta happened when Prince John became King.

Yeah but that movie really tried to shoehorn in US political documents without calling it as such.

I guess I should re-watch it but, naw

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

Good news everyone!

A Max Landis movie bad? NO

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

A Max Landis movie bad? NO

He's gonna get 3 million for his next script.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

That's because that whole thing was thoroughly hosed with. When Scott was originally developing it with Crowe in mind, the script was called Nottingham, and the idea was that the Sheriff of Nottingham and Robin Hood were the same person. Scott and the studio got cold feet and it was re-tooled into a traditional story.

So, the sherrif was creating a weak opposition to justify his tyranny, and then he cant stop it? Like that Force Awakens game?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Taintrunner posted:

90 minutes of tech CEOs and finance dickheads getting the guillotine one after the other? I'd watch it.

In all honesty I would totally be down for a movie about Eisenhower set in the early fifties just so there could be discussion about a republican president signing a tax bill with a 91% tax rate on the highest bracket. Just force people to talk about Keynesian economics again.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

He's gonna get 3 million for his next script.

Nepotism is a hell of a thing. Get famous even when your dad kills children.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Timby posted:

I´ve also heard that at some point it was meant to be a medieval police procedural thing with Robin Hood as a sort of mythic figure that everyone talks about but would never be shown directly.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

honestly i was having some hope for the bad orc film until the trailer shows will smith stepping on a faerie yelling "Faerie Lives Matter!" as a joke

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

honestly i was having some hope for the bad orc film until the trailer shows will smith stepping on a faerie yelling "Faerie Lives Matter!" as a joke

Of all the mythical creatures they could have used that aren't real life slurs...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

QuoProQuid posted:

how many movies are already planned for the robin hood origins expanded universe?

Lots, at first. When they first announced the movie it was going to be followed by 'origin' movies for the rest of the Merry Men and all the other characters but that quietly got dropped over time because I guess they realised that no one wants to see Friar Tuck: Origins.

There was a discussion in the Justice League thread about whether the 'Marvel Method' had really changed the face of movie making and whether there were that many shared cinematic universes planned so I went and dug up a list and the RobinHoodiverse was one of them:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well there's the Godzilla/King Kong Monsterverse, obviously. There's also the upcoming Hasbro-verse (G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionaries, M.A.S.K. and ROM: SpaceKnight), the X-Men extended cinematic universe (spinoffs including the Wolverine films and Deadpool, upcoming films including New Mutants and Gambit), The Transformers films (they've got a spinoff Bumblebee film coming up and you can bet there'll be more), an upcoming Hanna-Barbera shared cinematic universe (starting with a Scooby Doo reboot), American International (!!!!) were planning on relaunching themselves with a shared universe and Lionsgate's upcoming Robin Hood film starring Taron Egerton and Jamie Foxx was supposed to be followed up by 'origin' films of all the other characters including Friar Tuck but they seem to have dropped that idea.

That Guy Ritchie King Arthur film was also supposed to kick off an Arthurian series/shared universe but :shrug:

Valiant comics were also supposed to turned into a shared cinematic universe but it looks like they'll be TV series instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQcLClgLfkg

Edit: Sony were also pretty desperate to spin (ha) Amazing Spider-Man out into an expanded universe and had a Sinister Six hook in Amazing Spider-Man 2 but things didn't work out so well there. But they haven't quite given up and are shooting a Venom film and are also planning a Black Cat/Silver Sable spinoff.

Halloween Jack posted:

What was that British show where Marian ran the rebellion and Robin was a dopey mascot?
Maid Marian and Her Merry Men! With Tony Robinson as the Sheriff of Nottingham and Danny John-Jules as Barrington (their version of Alan-a-Dale)

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

Good news everyone!

I'm not at all shocked that it sucks, nor am I surprised at this:
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/943592160888348672

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Condorito movie already was released in Latin America iirc but will be here soon, it features a bird man and his nephew rescuing a potential mother-in-law from space aliens to try to impress her enough that he can marry her daughter. You know, a typical movie plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE2eGfHI47c

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Condorito movie already was released in Latin America iirc but will be here soon, it features a bird man and his nephew rescuing a potential mother-in-law from space aliens to try to impress her enough that he can marry her daughter. You know, a typical movie plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE2eGfHI47c

This movie is a certified ˇPLOP!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

aware of dog posted:

I'm not at all shocked that it sucks, nor am I surprised at this:
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/943592160888348672

Better be called Brighter, with a trilogy capper called Brightest.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FreudianSlippers posted:

e:
I think the oldest versions of the story we have actually have it set during the reign of Edward I (the badguy from Braveheart) so we could theoretically get a Braveheart/Robin Hood crossover. Or maybe it was one of the other Edwards, there was a few.

Different king for sure. Edward I. and the whole Scottish independence thin was late 13th to early 14th century.The first Robin Hood stories we know of are from the late 12th, early 13th century, at least 100 years before Edward I. reigned.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

Better be called Brighter, with a trilogy capper called Brightest.

No “The Brightening: The First Bright” ? Or is that the 4th part that’s a prequel.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gatts posted:

No “The Brightening: The First Bright” ? Or is that the 4th part that’s a prequel.

The Bright & The Wizardous: Narnia Drift

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

resurgam40 posted:

That is pretty good news, as the initial reviews for Greatest Showman, while not good, do not indicate the absolute train-wreck I was hoping for given the subject matter.

*snip*

I initially misread that as "The Greatest Snowman." It made me wish there was some kind of movie about people loving each other over to win a snowman making contest.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/GodsNotDeadFilm/status/943227298097983488?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E1

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Bright & The Wizardous: Narnia Drift

Bright, or the 120 Days of Sodom

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I bet you Bright is good, like every other David Ayer movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Come on, man, when has Rotten Tomatoes ever steered you wrong?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Every drat day of my life.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Oh god, apparently Bright was produced by "Trigger Warning Entertainment"

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Suicide Squad was bad. Fury was just OK.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

aware of dog posted:

Oh god, apparently Bright was produced by "Trigger Warning Entertainment"

Aw, does that mean that Will Smith is "one of the good ones" now? :smith:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Enos Cabell posted:

Suicide Squad was bad. Fury was just OK.

*good *incredible

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

*good *incredible

*bad *just OK

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Fury is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

End of Watch was fantastic, so I'm gonna give Bright a chance because of that, but I don't have high hopes.

• Locked thread