Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Ofcourse they passed their tax changes, they control all levels of government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
CBC is platforming nazis. Can we defund now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81f748gBaTs

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/T_Cook/status/943881122982789120

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I'm actually surprised we aren't in lockstep with the US + Israel.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Why should anyone care what Canada thinks a) at all; or b) about what the capital of Israel is?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

flakeloaf posted:

Why should anyone care what Canada thinks a) at all; or b) about what the capital of Israel is?

For most of the past 50 years all countries and the UN have recognize Tel Aviv as Israel's capital because they've illegally occupied Jerusalem since the Six Days war. Trump told he would cut off countries that refuse to support recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital in a UN resolution and rather than taking a stand along with the other 190 countries in the UN against 2(US and Israel) or just going in lockstep with them we are just copping out to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.

This summarizes the debate a bit
http://time.com/4604739/david-friedman-jerusalem-jewish-israel/

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DariusLikewise posted:

For most of the past 50 years all countries and the UN have recognize Tel Aviv as Israel's capital because they've illegally occupied Jerusalem since the Six Days war. Trump told he would cut off countries that refuse to support recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital in a UN resolution and rather than taking a stand along with the other 190 countries in the UN against 2(US and Israel) or just going in lockstep with them we are just copping out to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.

Another tidbit is that the recognition of Jerusalem as capital has actually been US policy for decades but presidents past have always deferred the move in the interest of peace and stability. So in a way Trump's move isn't really that radical a change for the US government, just an incredibly stupid one.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

we are just copping out to avoid hurting anyone's feelings

The Canadianest approach.

Thanks for the good click, I am now a less-uninformed person.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

flakeloaf posted:

Agreed. I think abstaining was the right call.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MA-Horus posted:

Ehhh an abstention on this vote was just a cowardly No imo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

To the extent that a vote says we endorse land theft, we should probabooooh you almost got me there.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

It's less copping out and more we will be very specifically and directly crushed if we go against the US

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's less copping out and more we will be very specifically and directly crushed if we go against the US

You're right. I always know who my friends are by which people fail to support or condemn me.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Joke's on us, the US will crush us regardless of what we say or do. Even when doing so leaves them worse off. See: NAFTA, Boeing vs. Bombardier, etc.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

James Baud posted:

Anyway, in Canadian tax cut news, I was looking at twitter the other night and laughing at BC Liberal shills trying to take credit for MSP cuts that take effect on Jan 1 for all but the highest income 5% or so of households.

"It was in our budget, therefore it was ours" they say. However, the Liberals implementation involved some idiotic "must apply / opt-in to get discount" scheme specifically designed to gently caress over less savvy people while still buying off the people who pay attention.

Did people apply to get their bills reduced? No? Then this wasn't that hairbrained scheme, go away.

Also, shills, you can't take credit for 50% cut and then simultaneously bemoan the financial folly in the NDP saying they'll get rid of the other 50% somehow too and the funding tragedy in the making.

Coincidentally, the annual expenditure on the home owner's grant (BC property tax discount for owner-occupant, bigger for seniors) is almost a big enough expense to cover it if eliminated! (~75%)

Actually, maybe that's the spring manoeuvre that's been promised to make home ownership "less attractive"...

tfw agreeing with james baud

for some not particularly well-off people this is effectively an automatic 1% income tax cut. Or 5% if you’ll permit me to use some Fraser institute math

:hellyeah:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 21, 2017

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Reince Penis posted:

I'm actually surprised we aren't in lockstep with the US + Israel.

Reince Penis posted:

You're right. I always know who my friends are by which people fail to support or condemn me.

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/943886260661293056

Well what do ya know :thunk:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Canada even just abstaining from something Israel related is a huge thing. We're usually in perfect lockstep with whatever US/Israeli government wants.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

I don't know how anyone could look at the current US administration and think that nuance is an appropriate strategy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I was talking to my Conservative-voting Dad, who correctly identified abstention as a chickenshit move and the US's actions as stupid and hateful, but then explained how a Conservative government surely wouldn't have just voted in line with the US. I was surprised to say the least. I guess he doesn't really pay attention to anything the Conservatives have done with foreign policy.

Meanwhile, in today's edition of "Is Jason Kenney the Dumbest, Most Oblivious Fat gently caress to Ever Walk the God's Green Earth?", all signs point to yes:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3930653/twitter-mocks-jason-kenney-for-suggesting-the-left-thinks-saying-merry-christmas-is-hateful/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
In shocking news, Bombardier will miss their revised revised revised commitment for the new TTC vehicles, delivering possibly 63 total by year end, of the 150 originally agreed on.

Can we get Quebec to give them another billion or so? Maybe they'll have more luck making the trains out of bricks of hundreds.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Who did they have on? Not watching the full youtube. Please tell me you dont think some dumb 20 year old TA who shoved a TVO vid is a nazi.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Postess is often dryly sarcastic, you may have noticed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did we talk about the statement the university released?

It certainly didn't defend the faculty's actions.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I bet they don't actually change anything and they're just saying that to placate the always credulous alt-lighters and centrist discourse fuckers

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

I was talking to my Conservative-voting Dad, who correctly identified abstention as a chickenshit move and the US's actions as stupid and hateful, but then explained how a Conservative government surely wouldn't have just voted in line with the US. I was surprised to say the least. I guess he doesn't really pay attention to anything the Conservatives have done with foreign policy.

Meanwhile, in today's edition of "Is Jason Kenney the Dumbest, Most Oblivious Fat gently caress to Ever Walk the God's Green Earth?", all signs point to yes:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3930653/twitter-mocks-jason-kenney-for-suggesting-the-left-thinks-saying-merry-christmas-is-hateful/

the comments are not to be missed :discourse:

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

ahahahahahaha

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-bitcoin-1.4457486

I'm not even going to post the whole article but jesus defund the cbc and close the country

I dont get it. Why does this article upset you?

Also what went wrong in your life for you to end up living in Manitoba?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Did we talk about the statement the university released?

It certainly didn't defend the faculty's actions.

What statement? What university?

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

What statement? What university?

Laurier. Here it is.

https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2017/nov/apology-from-laurier-president-and-vice-chancellor.html

Bleu fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 22, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh that, the post made it sound like something new.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh that, the post made it sound like something new.

No that's not it, their fact finding investigation finished and apparently there wasn't even a real complaint and the TA did nothing at all wrong.

https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2017/dec/president-statement-re-independent-fact-finder-report.html

https://www.wlu.ca/news/news-releases/2017/dec/clarification-dec-18-statement.html

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Postess with the Mostest posted:

No that's not it, their fact finding investigation finished and apparently there wasn't even a real complaint and the TA did nothing at all wrong.

https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2017/dec/president-statement-re-independent-fact-finder-report.html

https://www.wlu.ca/news/news-releases/2017/dec/clarification-dec-18-statement.html

I'm not sure ever seen something so overblown in my life as this stupidity.

The media was so eager to find a case of censorship on campus to report on that they turned a god drat argument between a TA and her prof into an international headline. It's loving ridiculous.

And that's the same media accused regularly of 'liberal bias' by the (thin skinned snowflake) right. Just loving lol.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I would expect this kind of thing at Concordia or York but Wilfried Laurier? Double lol

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
WLU could not have done a better job of making a "free speech" martyr if they'd been trying. They've no one to blame but themselves for taking what should have been a minor conversation between a prof and a TA over teaching materials and turning it into this debacle.

Like, are they secretly in the bag for Jordan Peterson or something?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Entropic posted:

WLU could not have done a better job of making a "free speech" martyr if they'd been trying. They've no one to blame but themselves for taking what should have been a minor conversation between a prof and a TA over teaching materials and turning it into this debacle.

Like, are they secretly in the bag for Jordan Peterson or something?

I don't disagree. I'm reading lots of spy books so they're coloring my thinking, but the term 'willing dupes' crosses my mind.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Reince Penis posted:

I'm not sure ever seen something so overblown in my life as this stupidity.

The media was so eager to find a case of censorship on campus to report on that they turned a god drat argument between a TA and her prof into an international headline. It's loving ridiculous.

And that's the same media accused regularly of 'liberal bias' by the (thin skinned snowflake) right. Just loving lol.

liberals do be like this tho

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Motherfucker do you know how hard it is for me not to scream every time someone equates small l liberalism with social democracy

Don't even

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Reince Penis posted:

I don't disagree. I'm reading lots of spy books so they're coloring my thinking, but the term 'willing dupes' crosses my mind.

“We don’t want our TAs exposing students to hateful nonsense like Jordan Peterson! How can we stop this? I know! We’ll behave exactly like the parody of SJW thought police he claims universities are heading for! That’ll show him!”

The thing that impresses me the most about the whole debacle is that these profs who failed so spectacularly to manage a simple intra-mural communication issue and the ensuing PR around it are from the Communications faculty.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you can't do, teach.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
US: Boy the people who voted for Trump sure make us seem like a country of idiots

Canada: Hold my beer eh?

https://twitter.com/urbantoronto/status/944186340635275265

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
You're going to need to highlight the offending bit because I really don't see it