Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why don't you just get a repeater or something, and some art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I would need somewhere to plug them in. And there's a distinct lack of outlets outside here.

As far as art goes. Decoration is completely subjective, and I think it looks cool. I will get some art to put up in other places. But now I don't have to buy as much to cover my walls.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I needed a living room receiver so I can shuffle around some equipment.
Found an NR1504, no box, no remote, no audacity mic, on CL for $70. Not a bad deal, no 4k but still okay.
The guy said he sold it before I could get there. That's fine, for another $100 I can get a much newer Denon with more WPC, brand new in box.
Today I saw the exact same receiver on CL for $200 for sale from some other dude. I know it's the exact same one because they both posted the serial numbers.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/d/marantz-av-sorround-nr-1504/6424326991.html

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/d/audiophile-marantz-nr1504-3d/6426276519.html

Quite humorous. I'm tempted to call him and offer $65 without the remote since he peeled the sticker off.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I just got these speakers and I'm trying to find a receiver to go with them. I have seen good reviews for the TX-SR373 but I'm a dumbass and can't figure out if that is a good match or not. The receiver says "155 W/Ch (6 Ohms), 80 W/Ch (8 Ohms)" and the speakers are "8 Ohms Nominal." Does that mean I need to find a higher-powered receiver?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Friend posted:

I just got these speakers and I'm trying to find a receiver to go with them. I have seen good reviews for the TX-SR373 but I'm a dumbass and can't figure out if that is a good match or not. The receiver says "155 W/Ch (6 Ohms), 80 W/Ch (8 Ohms)" and the speakers are "8 Ohms Nominal." Does that mean I need to find a higher-powered receiver?

I think you'll be fine. You're most likely not ever going to be listening to the speakers above 1 watt anyways.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I needed a living room receiver so I can shuffle around some equipment.
Found an NR1504, no box, no remote, no audacity mic, on CL for $70. Not a bad deal, no 4k but still okay.
The guy said he sold it before I could get there. That's fine, for another $100 I can get a much newer Denon with more WPC, brand new in box.
Today I saw the exact same receiver on CL for $200 for sale from some other dude. I know it's the exact same one because they both posted the serial numbers.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/d/marantz-av-sorround-nr-1504/6424326991.html

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/d/audiophile-marantz-nr1504-3d/6426276519.html

Quite humorous. I'm tempted to call him and offer $65 without the remote since he peeled the sticker off.

Hey, the guy added a used 15 dollar remote control.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I hope I won't start a flame-war for asking this, I'm legit just curious ...

... why are colorful speakers a thing? I think of speakers as displays for the ears. If an LCD manufacturer made a display that mapped red to magenta, I would be pissed. Do artists intentionally record their music in such a way that the music needs to be tweaked during playback?

I hope it's obvious I don't know poo poo about audio systems.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Maybe you like magenta better than red

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Lowness 72 posted:

Maybe you like magenta better than red

No problem, but why not adjust the color balance in the options menu. That would make it a low easier if your preferences change and you don't want to buy a new display.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Keeping with our color metaphor, a certain brand might have dialed in the perfect magenta color for you. Then they designed their entire product around that color adjustment.
So even if you were willing to spend all the time in the world to reproduce that "color", you might still be at a disadvantage because the hardware would also need to be tweaked. And why spend all that time when you really like the house "color"?

It's like anything else you buy really. Brands do stuff to differentiate themselves. That's why they exist.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Lowness 72 posted:

Keeping with our color metaphor, a certain brand might have dialed in the perfect magenta color for you. Then they designed their entire product around that color adjustment.
So even if you were willing to spend all the time in the world to reproduce that "color", you might still be at a disadvantage because the hardware would also need to be tweaked. And why spend all that time when you really like the house "color"?

It's like anything else you buy really. Brands do stuff to differentiate themselves. That's why they exist.

Alright, that makes sense.

I couldn't get a decent answer from the sales rep when I was buying my first speakers (JBL 305). Their sound room was down, so I couldn't listen to some speakers, but I doubt I would have noticed a difference.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lmfao at that dude with the wires

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I've got a Harman Kardon AVR1600 at home that I think has kicked the bucket. Everytime I turn it on it goes into Protect Mode and shuts down. I've tried unplugging everything and just powering the receiver on by itself as well as doing a memory reset with the same results. Is there an easy way to fix it(like a fuse replacement) or is it something I should take to a shop? Is it even worth fixing??

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

theHUNGERian posted:

... why are colorful speakers a thing? I think of speakers as displays for the ears. If an LCD manufacturer made a display that mapped red to magenta, I would be pissed. Do artists intentionally record their music in such a way that the music needs to be tweaked during playback?

To use your analogy: red and magenta are always red and magenta objectively.
However, you might be colorblind, or colors look slightly different to you than to other people. In which case that magenta LCD might be right up your alley.

On the other hand, the red and magenta LCD's will look the same no matter what space they're in.
Speakers however, will sound very different when they are put in different spaces.

Sound engineers use very neutral and accurate monitors to mix a song. They do this because they need to be able to hear every detail in a song to weed out mistakes among other things.
Also, engineers want it to sound good on a variety of systems, so having a very flat sound curve and accurate sound reproduction as a baseline makes it much easier to mix for a variety of different sound systems. Tracks are often remastered for different mediums with certain sound systems in mind.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
And human beings as a rule have a better sense of sight than sense of hearing, and we rely on sight more often and are able to distinguish objective visual differences more easily than audio differences. We also are able to correct errors in vision much better than we can correct hearing damage (which almost 100% of the population has to some degree or another after a certain age, worse so with music and concert enthusiasts).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

theHUNGERian posted:

I don't really care how the artist thinks I should hear the music. In general, the rest of the non-audiophile masses don't either. Mostly they just crank up the bass because that's the type of sound they like to hear.

The same actually applies to displays as well. Most people are wowed by the over-saturated hues of displays in the store and keep them that way in their homes...they want them to pop.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Most people prefer a "smiley" EQ curve, with the bass and treble boosted. Yes, even audiophiles, even if they won't admit it.

As long as it's done with restraint and you don't turn the bass too boomy and the treble too shrill, that is what most people find appealing.

JBL did research and testing, which showed that most people prefer a neutral speaker, but that was at relatively loud playback levels. At lower levels, you should compensate for the ears' sensitivity drop in the high and low frequencies, to achieve an subjectively neutral presentation and avoid "thin" sound.

A lot of consumer speakers have this type of EQ dialed into them on purpose, because people like it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is there such a thing as "dynamic" EQ where the curve flattens out as volume increases? Seems like it could be a good idea. I know my system sounds quite different at low volume.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

qirex posted:

Is there such a thing as "dynamic" EQ where the curve flattens out as volume increases? Seems like it could be a good idea. I know my system sounds quite different at low volume.

Isn't that basically what "night mode" does, though? I mean, assuming you have a relatively flat EQ as your default. I have an old Sony and night mode only works up to ~25 or 30 on the knob at which point it disengages and the regular EQ takes over.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

qirex posted:

Loud modes on stuff is usually like that, boosts low end at low volume and drops it off as volume increases.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Night Mode is usually a compressor that evens out the peaks so you don't have to turn stuff up as much to hear dialog. I was thinking more of a gradual shift. I'm sure it's been done somewhere, maybe most people don't notice. I can't boost the bass much on my current system because at movie watching volumes the subwoofer will dominate everything but at normal background TV level it will actually go into standby unless it's like a luxury car commercial [they have so much bass].

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

qirex posted:

Night Mode is usually a compressor that evens out the peaks so you don't have to turn stuff up as much to hear dialog. I was thinking more of a gradual shift. I'm sure it's been done somewhere, maybe most people don't notice. I can't boost the bass much on my current system because at movie watching volumes the subwoofer will dominate everything but at normal background TV level it will actually go into standby unless it's like a luxury car commercial [they have so much bass].

Law and Order is basically a constant LFE tone for the entire episode and its maddening. It was extra bad for the Menendez miniseries.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

qirex posted:

On my Denon that feature is literally called "Dynamic EQ", it boosts the low end at low volume.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

Law and Order is basically a constant LFE tone for the entire episode and its maddening. It was extra bad for the Menendez miniseries.
There's been a couple times where action shows will do a smooth slow down while music is playing and a lot of times it's just like oh hey that's below 30 hertz. The Netflix Voltron does it fairly regularly. Also when I was setting my new system up I put the original Blade Runner on and when they're riding in the spinners there's just this insane rumble the whole time, even under the music. I ended up at -7db on it after breaking out my spl meter.

taqueso posted:

On my Denon that feature is literally called "Dynamic EQ", it boosts the low end at low volume.
:ms:

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 21, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

taqueso posted:

For a more low tech version, older amps/receivers usually have a loudness switch, and most of them fade out the effect as you increase the volume, up to around 50% on the volume dial.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

What's the correct height for the surround speakers in a 5.1 configuration? The manual that came with the speakers recommends mounting them at 150-180 cm, but I see lots of people putting them at ear level as well.
Also, should they be pointing towards the listener, or each other?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dolby recommends "just above ear height" and slightly behind the listening position for surrounds in 5.1 but a lot of people put them higher. They should point towards the listener.

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 21, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

taqueso posted:

I wonder how much difference there is between this and just running your subwoofers 3 or 6 dB hot or whatever. I guess as you approach reference level the dynamic eq would back it off but that might not always be desirable depending on your tastes.

Related: If you're going to run subs hot does it matter if you do it via the volume on the subwoofer or the subwoofer volume on the receiver? I'm trying to figure out if there'd be a difference in how the EQ curve would end up in each scenario and I'm not sure.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That would only affect your sub, but a significant part of the bass comes from your main speakers too, unless you're using tiny satellites.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I have two pioneer bookshelf speakers but that aren't going to fit on my media stand once I move. Anyone have suggestions on stands for them to keep them at the right height? I don't mind using kind of ugly ones as long as they are small enough to hide behind a plant or something.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I know nothing about nothing. A well-meaning relative got me this ( https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13194 ), which is beautiful, and I really like it, but I have no idea what to do with it.It didn't come with speakers, which I understand are, uh, necessary for it to be anything more than a pretty paperweight, but which do I buy? Can/do I attach it to my TV? My computer? I'd like to put it in an 18'x14' room, and ideally without too many extra cables screwing anything up.

what do goons :(

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bogart posted:

I know nothing about nothing. A well-meaning relative got me this ( https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13194 ), which is beautiful, and I really like it, but I have no idea what to do with it.It didn't come with speakers, which I understand are, uh, necessary for it to be anything more than a pretty paperweight, but which do I buy? Can/do I attach it to my TV? My computer? I'd like to put it in an 18'x14' room, and ideally without too many extra cables screwing anything up.

what do goons :(

It’s a 2 channel amp with 2 inputs, Bluetooth and rca. If your computer can transmit over Bluetooth you might be able to use it that way, or if your soundcard has RCA out you can use it. Most tv’s have rca out, so that’s not an issue. This is strictly 2 channel though. No surround sound or center channel.

And yeah you need speakers.

Also, 25wpc might be fine or it might be underpowered for a room that size. With efficient speakers it’s probably fine.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KozmoNaut posted:

That would only affect your sub, but a significant part of the bass comes from your main speakers too, unless you're using tiny satellites.

I was just thinking about adjusting the subwoofer level in the receiver which would also only affect the sub but you're right the better way to do it would be to use the tone controls to adjust bass up which would impact both the mains and the subs.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Apologies for what might be a stupid question but I know almost nothing about home theater and the OP looks a little outdated.

Do modern systems (and the devices connected to them, I guess) automatically detect sound formats and output correctly? Will I have to pick up a remote and tell my receiver that the Blu-ray I'm watching uses TrueHD or will it just sound right without me having to gently caress with it? And do they downmix 7.1 to 5.1 decently?

Basically I have a budget of about $1000 to build a 2.0 system (that will later expand to 5.1.2) and my main concern is having compatibility with as many formats as possible with as little headache as possible. Input devices are a cable box, Xbox One X, PS4, a PC, and a Raspberry Pi 3 (everything uses HDMI). It's going to output to a Sony X800D TV (4K, 60hz, HDR10) also via HDMI. Trying to get support for DD, True HD, Atmos, DTS, DTS-HD, DTS:X, and whatever surround formats PC games might use. Space is a bit limited so smaller speakers are better but not if they compromise on quality too much.

I'm looking at this Sony STR-DN1080 receiver and a pair of Elac B6's for L and R.

Am I on the right track here?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That receiver is decent but the Elacs are pretty inefficient and also more tuned to music than home theater. If you shop carefully you can get started well under a grand. I don't want to sound like I'm advertising Accessories4less but they have a ton of receivers in the $300-500 range [here's a 2017 Denon] and a few decent speakers [KEF, Focal, Canton]. I used to love Sony receivers because they had the best UI but that's not really the case any more. You should get a few extra features with Bravia Link if you get the 1080 though. Denon and Yamaha seem to be the most reliable nowadays but it depends on the individual model. Pretty much every receiver will adapt any sound format to the setup you have, also the newer formats are all designed to downmix properly so if you get an atmos track and don't have height speakers you'll still get the audio and won't have to do any work on the receiver.

Some other cheapish speaker options: Polk S15/S20, JBL Studio 230, Wharfdale Diamond 220, Ascend CMT-340, Canton GLE 426 [ac4l], KEF Q100 [ac4l, amazon].

e: musicdirect.com has a lot of refurb/open box speakers as well

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 3, 2018

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Not sure how the CMT-340s sound, but my Sierra towers from Ascend are absolutely fantastic. Dave is very helpful if you email him.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

qirex posted:

That receiver is decent but the Elacs are pretty inefficient and also more tuned to music than home theater. If you shop carefully you can get started well under a grand. I don't want to sound like I'm advertising Accessories4less but they have a ton of receivers in the $300-500 range [here's a 2017 Denon] and a few decent speakers [KEF, Focal, Canton]. I used to love Sony receivers because they had the best UI but that's not really the case any more. You should get a few extra features with Bravia Link if you get the 1080 though. Denon and Yamaha seem to be the most reliable nowadays but it depends on the individual model. Pretty much every receiver will adapt any sound format to the setup you have, also the newer formats are all designed to downmix properly so if you get an atmos track and don't have height speakers you'll still get the audio and won't have to do any work on the receiver.

Some other cheapish speaker options: Polk S15/S20, JBL Studio 230, Wharfdale Diamond 220, Ascend CMT-340, Canton GLE 426 [ac4l], KEF Q100 [ac4l, amazon].

e: musicdirect.com has a lot of refurb/open box speakers as well

Thanks. I'll pick up that Denon and probably the Wharfedales.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MonkeyFit posted:

Not sure how the CMT-340s sound, but my Sierra towers from Ascend are absolutely fantastic. Dave is very helpful if you email him.
I was so close to ordering Sierra 1s when I saw the speakers I bought on closeout. Couldn't turn down the deal.

I occasionally wonder how much more money Ascend could make if their website wasn't complete garbage. They seem to be doing well in spite of it but poo poo looks straight out of 2002 and they haven't even made a product page for the Lunas.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I'm working on setting up babby's first home audio system and got a Denon X1300W receiver as a Christmas gift. Thinking of getting a pair of Klipsch floor speakers, the base model R-24F. I'm a scrub when it comes to evaluating power ratings so the speaker rating of 75W and max 300W feels like it should mesh with the receiver's 80W per channel power?

Anything else I should know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I just looked at the Ascend CMT-340 (yeah, their website is definitely not good, makes it look like a fake business in this day and age) and I see that they are bi-wireable with two pairs of posts- I have no idea what that means, I've only ever used speakers with a single pair of posts. Is it difficult to bi-wire? And do I have to use both pairs of posts, or if I use one pair will the speaker default to that?