Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

AbstractNapper posted:

I only saw the teaser. Do we have any more examples? It does seem terrible, but then again I'm not a fan of this mechanic anywhere that's implemented. I last saw this on Dreamfall Chapters (a crowdfunded point and click adventure game that had its share of problems and bad design choices) where arguably it was better implemented but still largely redundant and sometimes even confusing.

CIG are turning SQ42 into a point and click adventure game. Genius. Chris saw a demo of Tales from the Borderlands and, well, you know the rest of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I was going to post that TTG are good but I'll admit that I've gotten into the habit of buying them and then not playing them.

The Wolf Among Us was really really fun.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Mark Hamill's character looking absolutely nothing like Mark Hamill has got to be confirmation to the rumor that all of the months of mo-cap work had to be thrown out right?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
CIG live stream events are a lot like groundhogs day:

Livestream starts on time: footage is a pre-rendered cut scene, outsourced from another company
Livestream starts late: footage is live in-engine, and the stream is delayed due to the devs working to the last minute to get a working engine build.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Is it actually a livestream or are they going to just play a 2 hour long video?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I liked the Wolf Among Us but I wish Telltale would finish a series because I feel like they have 3-5 of them going and I've been waiting for the next Wolf Among Us since... jfc years now.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

:iiam:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

AlbieQuirky posted:

So if I had a game that I was basically advertising as "Has Mark Hamill in it!" I would want the Mark Hamill character to look and sound like Mark Hamill. What do I not understand about Mark Hamill development?

Chris doesn't think of it as people buying the game to see Mark Hamil. He sees it as people buying the game to bask in his Vision starring Mark Hamil. So all that matters is that Mark be seen to follow his glorious direction, and lend his talents to the proper delivery of Chris's wonderful dialogue.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yes

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Calling it now - they will have some kind of Xmas theme going and present it as the greatest Christmas gift of all. Sandi will have some tickle fetish Xmas tree leathers on, Ben will be Santa, only because Chris will come out wrapped in swaddling clothes in a manger.

D_smart will make a guest appearance as Pontius Pilate.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If they learned anything from last year, it would just be a 2 hour long video. But this is CIG

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

Does anyone remember back when I said that it was all bullshit? And now we can see that these clowns have made no progress, as I mentioned here and here when I said "There's more coming, just wait, two weeks." I never burn my sources by mentioning specifics - I only acknowledge the specifics after the event has occurred, which still serves to burn those exact same sources when you think about it, because even though by that time everyone knows about the event, you can still figure out who blabbed by asking who knew about it before it went public.

I may not have thought this through.

It's true. All of it. :smug:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Viscous Soda posted:

I dunno about physics. Cryengine games have been (in)famous for sudden spazzing out of vehicles as well as other occasional physics weirdness.

CryEngine is the only mainstream engine that doesn’t use PhysX. It’s hacky, unreliable, and designed for just a few specialized use cases.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
So I guess there was a trailer? How was it? Any links?

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
So was that Derek article the "big scoop" of the day? That one was lackluster so I hope it's something better.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ryde posted:

So I guess there was a trailer? How was it? Any links?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQTcf2bnRhY

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

AlbieQuirky posted:

I would watch that holiday special every Christmas until I died.

So if I had a game that I was basically advertising as "Has Mark Hamill in it!" I would want the Mark Hamill character to look and sound like Mark Hamill. What do I not understand about Mark Hamill development?

The secret best way to use Mark Hamill in your game is to not tell anyone about it, and in fact even try and convince people that no, really, he's not in it, for serious, before the game comes out.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mark Hamill's character looking absolutely nothing like Mark Hamill has got to be confirmation to the rumor that all of the months of mo-cap work had to be thrown out right?

The dumbest thing about this whole project is that fact that you don't need to mocap Mark Hamill in order to have a character that looks like him. All you need are the face scans. If you mocap a random guy walking down a hall and use that animation for Mark Hamill's character nobody is going to say "that walk is nothing like the actor at all!"

The entire mocap farce is a vanity project for Chris Roberts so he can feel like a film director. It has no technical purpose what so ever and it's just a monumental waste of money.

So to answer your question, no, it looks like poo poo because CIG are incompetent. Throwing out all the mocap work won't make any difference since it was functionally useless in the first place.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Fatkraken posted:

no

that would involve making female character models

Who says we need female bots?

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Omniblivion posted:

So was that Derek article the "big scoop" of the day? That one was lackluster so I hope it's something better.

His bag of scoops was already partially opened, so this scoop came out stale

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
idk maybe I’m (un?) biased bc I’ve tried my hand at 3d art/animation and it’s loving HARD, but think it looks like Hammil.

What bothers me most about the cutscene is how absolutely hosed the direction is. Ridiculous amateur framing/composition, camera moves so awkward and bizarre it’s like a cat wearing a go pro, and the pacing is so completely wrong it feels like an old school Sandi and Ben ATV transition.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
The worst part of that trailer is the closeup of Mark looking down the length of his laser canon. only one eye is looking to the ceiling and the other eye is looking at his crewman's rear end.

The no eyebrow movement may be because of those stupid rigs they wear blocks them from the camera lens.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
I know this sounds crazy but a friend who works for CIG just told me that they worked out some sort of cross licensing deal with SEGA? and sonic the hedgehog will be a featured NPC in sq42? Again take this with a grain of salt.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

The fact that Chris Roberts managed to get Gillian Anderson and Mark Hamill on the phone and didn't decide to make a FMV space musical pretty much speaks for itself.

Nicholas posted:

I know this sounds crazy but a friend who works for CIG just told me that they worked out some sort of cross licensing deal with SEGA? and sonic the hedgehog will be a featured NPC in sq42? Again take this with a grain of salt.

Way to burn your sources.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nicholas posted:

/me cautiously opens wallet...

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Both. Play two hour long video at start time because they're two hours late.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

did i miss the derek scoops?

also that odesnt even look remotely like mark hamill

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

big nipples big life posted:

It's probably the same redditor who wrote all the other fake keep doing what you're doing reviews.

If they had health insurance that one guy wouldn't have had to crowdfund his daughter's hospital stay.

Now that you mention it, he too got the full Ladyman sendoff. Or I guess it’s more appropriately the Wingman Honorable Discharge since his was, I think, the first such ceremonial discharge.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Lladre posted:

The no eyebrow movement may be because of those stupid rigs they wear blocks them from the camera lens.

I choose to believe that he purposefully refused to move his eyebrows throughout the entire shoot.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Witcher 3 had Charles Dance as a voice actor, and reaped tons of publicity from this, without having to do mocap or face scans. Mocap should be a tool for animators. It can be really difficult to get some motions right without mocap. I remember an episode from a game I worked on where the animators needed mocap of dumping a body in a dumpsters (not the the easiest thing to manually animate so it looks right). Problem was that humans are actually pretty heavy, so most people can't really do this without having it look silly. So a really big guy (producer, actually, I think) and a really small woman did the mocap, and animators did their magic to make it fit the body sizes in-game.

It's a monumental waste of money to drag any kind of highly paid actor, especially an A-lister, through mocap for a game. Face scanning and expression mocap makes good sense. But the pudgy-suit mocap? Not necessary for the marketing effect.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D_Smart posted:

My new article is up. It contains some Squadron 42 scoops. That game, get this, is now coming in 2019.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/943869441711976448

what was the cost of the ign fluffer piece? and if they are this far behind how can they keep pulling poo poo like this without the press jumping all over them?
I know the backers wont stop - albeit they do have a drop off and refunds along the way as they go but that is normal with any company.
I kinda find it disgusting that the media are complicit in all this when they are to be the fifth estate and not cheerleaders to autism thumb.

edit do you know the status of all that mocap and the final cost?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Oh yay a prerendered cutscene with janky graphics (that mechanic's face, lol) and no gameplay.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Mne nravitsya posted:

A song honor of the Christmas Event

Crashing through the show
In a build no-one can play
O'er the moon we go
(Goons) Laughing all the way

Alarm bells start to ring
Derek Smart was right
What fun it is to watch this poo poo
It's the E.L.E tonight

(Oh) Jingle Bells, Lesnick smells
Crytek seized the day
The Crob-Mobile lost it's wheels
And the law firms are in play

(Oh) Jingle Bells, Tanks won't sell
Chris lost his toupee
The Coutts are mad, the game is bad
And the cultists blame SA

:five::five::five::five::five:

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Nicholas posted:

This would be too good. There's no way it's true.

*thinks back to all of the other shameless product placements that CIG have cashed in on.*

There's a change this is true. And that alone is too loving funny.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Meanwhile we can all kill time buying poo poo we don't need in the Steam sale.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Furious Mittens posted:

Calling it now - they will have some kind of Xmas theme going and present it as the greatest Christmas gift of all. Sandi will have some tickle fetish Xmas tree leathers on, Ben will be Santa, only because Chris will come out wrapped in swaddling clothes in a manger.

D_smart will make a guest appearance as Pontius Pilate.

Chris will take off his wig and say the game is great and did so for the sake of transparency. Shitzens will applaud and pledge more - media will herald in new era of development.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

PederP posted:

It's a monumental waste of money to drag any kind of highly paid actor, especially an A-lister, through mocap for a game. Face scanning and expression mocap makes good sense. But the pudgy-suit mocap? Not necessary for the marketing effect.

I'd love to know how much money was wasted paying a-list celebs to waddle around in those mocap suits for no reason.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Nothing says "grizzled veteran" like a slack-jawed mouth breathing yokel expression

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Chalks posted:

I'd love to know how much money was wasted paying a-list celebs to waddle around in those mocap suits for no reason.

All will be revealed in space court discovery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

SelenicMartian posted:

Meanwhile we can all kill time buying poo poo we don't need in the Steam sale.

I must buy more games I won't ever play.