Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i saw this referenced earlier and laughed because i was so certain that it WAS a parody

life is suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

it owsn that the longer this bubble lasts the more of the actual economy gets sucked into it and when it finally viciously pops like no bubble ever before its going to take down a ton of legit poo poo with it

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I wasn't economically aware during the leadup to previous crashes. Was there this sense of obvious impending doom then too, and the "nobody saw this coming" line was always bullshit? Were randos like us watching CDO transactions then like we're watching tech startup / bitcoin nonsense now?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Goon Danton posted:

I wasn't economically aware during the leadup to previous crashes. Was there this sense of obvious impending doom then too, and the "nobody saw this coming" line was always bullshit? Were randos like us watching CDO transactions then like we're watching tech startup / bitcoin nonsense now?

i remember reading d&d posts about an obvious real estate bubble in like 2007.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Goon Danton posted:

No, the financial crisis was pretty different. A lot of the poo poo today is superfluous rich people fun-money that they have trouble investing at the returns they want. Back in 2007 it was housing prices and shaky mortgages being packaged as a financial product and traded for ridiculous expected returns.

Look at the stock market from December 2007 to the crashes in Fall 2008. Volatility was loving wild, things are very stable right now in comparison. It's weird. Imo the systemic risk to average people in 2007 was way worse, but rich people have way more money doing weird poo poo today.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Goon Danton posted:

There was a much stronger sense of impending doom, imo - a lot more impending than this, which is mostly just hilarious. "Nobody saw this coming" was an absolute bullshit line from the moment it was uttered, pretty much everyone that stopped to look at what was happening saw the result coming (although it was worse in some ways than people predicted because the companies involved were acting in ways even shadier than expected - but everyone knew we were in a bubble and it was gonna collapse hard)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i remember reading d&d posts about an obvious real estate bubble in like 2007.

ive been reading d&d canada thread posts about their bubble for like 5 years

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
maybe the markets always crash every few years because people get super antsy and go "numbers cant just keep going up!" and then everythign crashes bc of low confidence and that cycle repeats itself because people keep believing in it

economic basilisk

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i saw this referenced earlier and laughed because i was so certain that it WAS a parody

life is suffering

It's not the first time this trick was tried similar trick would be randomly tossing in words like chip or silicon in a company name

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Goon Danton posted:

Jesus loving Christ, Yes

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

are auto-trading bots being programmed to buy on the word "blockchain"?

because I know finance guys are stupid and greedy but at some point someone had to realize they just bought tons of shares of a loving iced tea company right?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Christ, the Aus housing bubble is in year fuckin 15. Friends I went to school with bought a house for 90k just after they left, now I'm looking at at least 800k to avoid an hour's commute. 500k if I'm cool with that.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

anime was right posted:

maybe the markets always crash every few years because people get super antsy and go "numbers cant just keep going up!" and then everythign crashes bc of low confidence and that cycle repeats itself because people keep believing in it

economic basilisk

by making this thread i have helped doom us to another crash

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

are auto-trading bots being programmed to buy on the word "blockchain"?

because I know finance guys are stupid and greedy but at some point someone had to realize they just bought tons of shares of a loving iced tea company right?

It has reserved the web domain name https://www.longblockchain.com will still operate a ready-to-drink beverage subsidiary.

It's not a loving iced tea company anymore!!
It's a loving ready-to-drink beverage subsidiary!!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

mods please namechange me to "gently caress you and blockchain" so I can pay rent next month tia

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Goon Danton posted:

we knew that there was an obvious bubble that was bound to eventually pop but we had no clue just how levered the banks were and the subsequent calamity that caused was unexpected. the obama admin pressed mandatory 'stress testing' onto the big banks such that they had to demonstrate that future collapses wouldn't take down the entire financial sector- the trump admin has since removed that requirement iirc

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Aliquid posted:

No, the financial crisis was pretty different. A lot of the poo poo today is superfluous rich people fun-money that they have trouble investing at the returns they want. Back in 2007 it was housing prices and shaky mortgages being packaged as a financial product and traded for ridiculous expected returns.

Look at the stock market from December 2007 to the crashes in Fall 2008. Volatility was loving wild, things are very stable right now in comparison. It's weird. Imo the systemic risk to average people in 2007 was way worse, but rich people have way more money doing weird poo poo today.

it's true there's less systemic risk relative to 2007-2008 because the people hit in 2007-2008 never recovered, and its easy for growth to be regular and even when value is disconnected from any economic input or activity

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Willie Tomg posted:

it's true there's less systemic risk relative to 2007-2008 because the people hit in 2007-2008 never recovered, and its easy for growth to be regular and even when value is disconnected from any economic input or activity

i disagree. the systemic risk was entirely of the finance sector's making. the housing market is just what they happened to glomp onto to make insanely levered instruments. there's no guarantee that they haven't resumed the exact same practices on some other instrument

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

i disagree. the systemic risk was entirely of the finance sector's making. the housing market is just what they happened to glomp onto to make insanely levered instruments. there's no guarantee that they haven't resumed the exact same practices on some other instrument

Also many of the same financial investments from the 2008 crash just got re-named.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

This is gonna take some digging but I remember there was a video going around of this ron paul gold bug calling out wall st. about six months before the crash making a very reasoned argument as to why the whole thing was a house of cards. It was one of those 'stopped clock' moments and I want to try to find it because it should basically be a perfect summary of the information we had at the time.

Oh I was able to find it pretty quickly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfascZSTU4o

I'm watching it again and laughing because I forgot the naysayer against him was none other than Laffer.

edit: God drat this applies just as much to today as it did back in '06

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 21, 2017

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
that is all true, but i think the guy was focusing on the assets borne by regular-rear end people? lots of people had mortgages whose value got hosed up by the '08 crash. fewer people are holding bitcoins, or derivative securities thereof, or are reliant on VC flows or whatever. because even though there's more money in the system than ever, its held by fewer people than ever. ergo: systemic risk is minimized horizontally if not vertically

also a flu and its medicine thats been kicking my rear end all day might be making me uncharacteristically nice to a statement whose least charitable interpretation is "can't lose your house and job and 50/50 only find new employment below a living wage if it already happened ten years ago and never got better! :v: "

so there's that

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Rex-Goliath posted:

This is gonna take some digging but I remember there was a video going around of this ron paul gold bug calling out wall st. about six months before the crash making a very reasoned argument as to why the whole thing was a house of cards. It was one of those 'stopped clock' moments and I want to try to find it because it should basically be a perfect summary of the information we had at the time.

Oh I was able to find it pretty quickly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfascZSTU4o

I'm watching it again and laughing because I forgot the naysayer against him was none other than Laffer.

edit: God drat this applies just as much to today as it did back in '06

yeah schiff became a billionaire from shorting it. hes an insane austrian econ guy though

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hedge funds are getting excited over putting money into Bitcoins

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Willie Tomg posted:

that is all true, but i think the guy was focusing on the assets borne by regular-rear end people? lots of people had mortgages whose value got hosed up by the '08 crash. fewer people are holding bitcoins, or derivative securities thereof, or are reliant on VC flows or whatever. because even though there's more money in the system than ever, its held by fewer people than ever. ergo: systemic risk is minimized horizontally if not vertically

Right but I don't think less people holding on to the assets naturally translates to there also being less systemic risk. Banks could be whipping up insane financial instruments around crypto coins held be just a few thousand traders and passing those assets off as great investments to the wider population / each other. That's all I'm saying. They can all lever each other up and become toxic to each other without our help.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

We really are in the worst timeline.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I would wager that the majority of wealth created in the past 10 years is basically just on paper, and doesn't actually represent any material value increase. the systemic risk is low, but that won't stop all our retirement accounts from being decimated when the stock market "corrects"

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Goon Danton posted:

There were plenty of op-eds in 2003 when the price of real estate started to go parabolic. The line was "housing prices can't keep rising at this rate it is unsustainable" and the counter was "you're just a jealous naysayer, learn how to make $300,000 a year by flipping houses".

There is no respect for those who are right too early.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jessefelder/status/943880274655539200

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

And for what it’s worth Schiff has predicted hyperinflation around the corner any day now for close to a decade. IIRC he is a big gold bug (which would’ve been a pretty weak trade during this recovery).

So don’t give him too much credit.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/943930156300886016
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/943938735846166529

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm going to start selling $20,000 ASICs that are really just intel NUCs in a plastic box

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

another big economic crash is for sure gonna happen, and probably soon, because all the people who have all the money and are running poo poo at all levels made a loving killing as a result of it and they probably want to do it again now that they'd be paying even less tax on the profits

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

and in some cases they didn't even bother to rename their disastrous schemes

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

extremely glad I clicked on this thread again

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im scared to ask my dad if he put any money it bitcoin

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

yeah we're definitely at whatever the point is in a classic bubble/mania where suckers come flooding in

what are the analogs? house-flipping shows and radio ads in 2006-7? I need analogs!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shear Modulus posted:

im scared to ask my dad if he put any money it bitcoin

I struck up a conversation with one of my uncles at my sister's wedding back in August and he got onto the topic of how he was diversifying 15% of his money into bitcoin

he was an ER doctor for three decades so he's pretty loaded. I wonder if he's smart enough to realize he should get out soon

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Just remember that predicting crashes is like predicting weather, it'd be hilarious if the system crashed because of bitcoin but it could easily come from somewhere no one is looking like subprime auto-loans (it won't be auto-loans but still)

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

yeah we're definitely at whatever the point is in a classic bubble/mania where suckers come flooding in

what are the analogs? house-flipping shows and radio ads in 2006-7? I need analogs!

If they start having bitcoin tv shows like they did house flipping on regular cable then were hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
hen doctors invest, get out