Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
Accusations of not "paying attention" are not helpful. I wasn't up making a sandwich during cutscenes, I was watching and trying to process. The game is vague and enigmatic about a lot of things.

Considering it got passed over for story-related gaming awards, I may not be the only one frustrated with the presentation of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Zoe posted:

I do remember wondering what was going on with 2B when A2 found that memory suggesting that wasn't her real name, but unfortunately I didn't get to wonder long since some guy just blatantly spoiled this entire twist right here in the thread. So, much of the impact lost there, although looking back at all the hints and the way it recontextualizes a bunch of previous dialogic is still pretty neat.

If you're referring to me (I was the one who wrote "maybe 2B is an E model"), I didn't "spoil" jack poo poo, I was, and still am, exactly as blind as you, mate.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Kase moch posted:

Accusations of not "paying attention" are not helpful. I wasn't up making a sandwich during cutscenes, I was watching and trying to process. The game is vague and enigmatic about a lot of things.

Considering it got passed over for story-related gaming awards, I may not be the only one frustrated with the presentation of the story.

You just saw the game shove into your face “yo dawg 2B was 2e the whole time.” If you thought that was an unimportant revelation here, at the end of the game, then I do not know what to tell you.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Kase moch posted:

Personal opinions aside, Nier is a Japanese game not made by Nintendo so it being even nominated for some game awards is an incredible feat.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Aumanor posted:

If you're referring to me (I was the one who wrote "maybe 2B is an E model"), I didn't "spoil" jack poo poo, I was, and still am, exactly as blind as you, mate.
I think there was someone else who clearly spoiled it. The thread ended up getting locked for a while, and there were a bunch of posters mad at the dude for good reason. I think I remember your post, and I'm pretty sure everyone was cool about it then.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

EclecticTastes posted:

The way I interpreted it when I was catching up on the LP over the past few days (so everything is still fresh in my mind), is YoRHa is (was) the only remaining group that knows the truth about humanity at any level, and is the only group in regular contact with the "humans" on the moon. Therefore, by destroying YoRHa, you both eliminate all knowledge of the truth, as well as any ability to contact the "Council of Humanity" (the androids on the moon will be taken care of indefinitely by their regular shipments of water and empty crates, which are likely automated at this point). The intended result, given other information available, is to prevent a relapse of the initial despondency androids felt over the extinction of humanity, and ensure they continue to feel a sense of purpose in perpetuity.

Given that not even the commander was involved in the SS-level stuff and all the other androids are supposed to be in the dark, one can theorize that the androids behind this plot are, in fact, the very androids that are on the moon sending out "Council of Humanity" broadcasts, or else they found some other way to eliminate their own knowledge of the truth (I mean, they could just hide and keep the secret, but given the lengths they went to, it stands to reason they want their knowledge completely out of circulation, through either isolation or death).

By the way, this actually kind of mirrors Nier's plot in a way. Basically, a semi-automated system was designed to ensure the survival of a species (androids kept from falling into despair by creating and then destroying YoRHa to prevent the Terrible Secret of Space from ever getting out vs. the Gestalt System), which failed because it didn't account for the raw determination of a crazy person (9S vs. Nier). The only question now is whether or not 9S will completely follow in Nier's footsteps and end up revealing the Terrible Secret of Space to the other androids, thus ensuring their eventual demise from hopelessness, the way Nier murdering the gently caress outta the Shadowlord doomed humanity and the replicants.

Was there any evidence that there are androids on the moon base? I thought the server was autonomous and just sends vague automatic broadcasts, and the occasional message crafted by android high command, which is on earth, and the shipments were just part of the deception. The yorha project was a propaganda effort, in addition to being a test bed for the machine-core powered android models. With the bunker gone and all of yorha save 9s dead and their data lost, only the android resistance leadership know that humans are extinct.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Remember how 2B kept saying emotions are prohibited and it always seemed like she was talking to herself? Think about it in the context of her knowing she has to kill 9S over and over and over again.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

really queer Christmas posted:

You just saw the game shove into your face “yo dawg 2B was 2e the whole time.” If you thought that was an unimportant revelation here, at the end of the game, then I do not know what to tell you.

I didn't realize it was important because the ramifications were poorly emphasized. I barely remembered that E types were assassin bots, and as to who she was supposed to be assassinating all this time, well that went right over my head. As others have said, maybe a few clues or flashbacks at the time of the revelation to tie all this stuff together would've been nice? Telling a story is a little more involved than just presentation of the facts.

Kase moch fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 21, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kase moch posted:

It's actually winning awards for its story from quite a lot of well known journalistic outlets.

It didn't win the Doritopope story award, but considering that show is one long advertisement to get you to buy christmas presents where big games and developers pay money to get their trailers shown, I'm gonna go with a "well yea".

Kase moch posted:

Didn't say it was an unimportant revelation. I said the ramifications of that were poorly emphasized. I barely remembered that E types were assassin bots, and as to who she was supposed to be assassinating all this time, well that went right over my head. As others have said, maybe a few clues at the time of the revelation to tie all this stuff together would've been nice? Telling a story is a little more involved than just presentation of the facts.

The clues are widespread throughout the game, the game itself encourages you to replay it, Yoko Taro doesn't want to spoonfeed when he can avoid it. Most of the fandom have pieced this together themselves.

cirus posted:

Remember how 2B kept saying emotions are prohibited and it always seemed like she was talking to herself? Think about it in the context of her knowing she has to kill 9S over and over and over again.

And the fact that none of the other important YoRHa members adhere to this rule, including the Commander choosing to go down with the ship.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The clues are widespread throughout the game, the game itself encourages you to replay it, Yoko Taro doesn't want to spoonfeed when he can avoid it. Most of the fandom have pieced this together themselves.

Fair enough. I suppose I prefer media that doesn't require time spent "piecing together" the basic plot outside of the time I'm interacting with the media. That, or the game just didn't spark my interest enough to want to invest that kind of time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Kase moch posted:

I didn't realize it was important because the ramifications were poorly emphasized. I barely remembered that E types were assassin bots, and as to who she was supposed to be assassinating all this time, well that went right over my head. As others have said, maybe a few clues or flashbacks at the time of the revelation to tie all this stuff together would've been nice? Telling a story is a little more involved than just presentation of the facts.

But they just... she just said 2B's job was to kill him when he found out too much. They showed her strangling him.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Aumanor posted:

Nice meltdown and all but I was referring to whoever it was who directly posted '9S kept figuring things out and so had to be assigned 2B as his personal assassin' and then seemed so confused as to how that constituted a spoiler that when people got mad he went and posted it again.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Can you explain what was ambiguous or confusing about the scene?

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Momomo posted:

But they just... she just said 2B's job was to kill him when he found out too much. They showed her strangling him.

"The official designation... is 2E. Number 2, Type E.
They were a special class of members designated to execute YoRHa units."

That's what it says. Yep, it shows her strangling him, but that one seemed like it had a good reason: he was infected with a virus. There's nothing there in that cutscene that I see that would lead to the knowledge that 2B/E's special job was to follow 9S around and kill him whenever he learned the truth about humanity. I'm not debating that's what the game is saying; you guys are right about all the other little pieces throughout the rest of the game that support it. I'm only saying it seems like an obtuse way to present this very important plot point, and I'm disappointed in the game for making it non-obvious.

If this discussion is making GBS threads up the thread I'll stop immediately.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
“2B hated to keep killing you. It caused her so much pain. The 9S type is a high-end model. They knew you’d discover the truth eventually.”

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So...why not just retire the 9S model? Or is this a thing with all Scanner models and all of them have Type E's assigned to them?

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Kase moch posted:

Fair enough. I suppose I prefer media that doesn't require time spent "piecing together" the basic plot outside of the time I'm interacting with the media. That, or the game just didn't spark my interest enough to want to invest that kind of time.

I get that. Even games where I am invested there's often the case of "i'm paying attention to the story, but I'm concentrating on playing." It's why I've really enjoyed following LP threads of RPGs or other games that do foreshadowing and subtle stuff, cause there's the time and ability to pick through important moments that took like 10-20 seconds without being distracted by everything else. Or to go back and remind yourself of something that happened 20, 40, 70 gameplay hours ago.
Even if that does occasionally mean that commenters in popular threads like Id's sometimes get intensely nitpicky and retread the same ground from spending days discussing a 3-10 minute scene that the game immediately moves on from.

The Dark Id posted:

Let’s be real... the last actually dangers enemy

Zagglezig fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 21, 2017

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Kavak posted:

So...why not just retire the 9S model?
9S may be a loose cannon, but dammit, he gets results.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah, I don't think it's stated outright, but the implication is that "needs to be murdered occasionally" is basically an acceptable side effect of him being really, really good at loving up machines.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The capability level they need in a handful of Scanners is probably just above the capabilities Yorha has to keep that info hidden.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
9S gets way better combat data than anyone else, and as we know, that's what really matters

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It’s why hacking is so powerful- the game is showing you that 9S is super necessary to Yorhas plans, and in the fight against the machines. So it’s worth the extra expense to keep him “docile”.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can barely follow the story so it's not just you mate.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kase moch posted:

If this discussion is making GBS threads up the thread I'll stop immediately.

Nah, it's just interesting to see what people focus on. I thought this was pretty clearly stated, but I also missed all but the most blatant instances of the holographic red girls showing up so seeing them crop up in TDI's screenshots was pretty :aaaaa:

Essentially,

Beefstew posted:

It's like those videos that ask you to keep track of how many times a basketball is passed between players, and after counting them it then asks you if you saw the gorilla who's very conspicuously in frame.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Crigit posted:

Was there any evidence that there are androids on the moon base? I thought the server was autonomous and just sends vague automatic broadcasts, and the occasional message crafted by android high command, which is on earth, and the shipments were just part of the deception. The yorha project was a propaganda effort, in addition to being a test bed for the machine-core powered android models. With the bunker gone and all of yorha save 9s dead and their data lost, only the android resistance leadership know that humans are extinct.

A couple of crates had water and repair materials in them. Androids' fusion reactors are powered by water, so it stands to reason that there's someone up there to use the repair materials for repairs.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Scanner situation reminds me of the treatment of Peridot and the Zircons in Steven Universe - created to be a scientist/lawyer/generally smart logical person, but as soon as they start questioning their assumptions, which is literally what they are made to do, they get in trouble. (Steven Universe spoilers for those who don't watch the show, not Nier)9S/Zircon learns/figures out too much about the underlying situation and they get poo poo on, Peridot tries to present her findings to Yellow Diamond, gets poo poo on.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Crigit posted:

The fake shipments included real water, which was established as the only form of "sustenance" required by androids (to run their fusion reactors). This implies that there were still androids there that needed it. I forget what else was on the manifest, but suffice it to say, the station is very likely manned. It makes sense, because someone would need to be there to maintain the various databases, and automated messages couldn't adapt to changing situations as easily as actual agents, no matter how many contingencies were included. And where did you get the idea that the android resistance leaders know that humans are extinct? I haven't seen anything that says that.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think it's explained in extra materials that Scanner models don't have melee combat capabilities, they can't equip or wield melee weapons.
The more eagle-eyed in our audience might have noticed that 9S can; that's because he self-hacked the NCSC in himself, probably after heavily reprogramming it to his tastes. That's how good our Hackerman (HackerCaim?) is.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

EclecticTastes posted:

The fake shipments included real water, which was established as the only form of "sustenance" required by androids (to run their fusion reactors). This implies that there were still androids there that needed it. I forget what else was on the manifest, but suffice it to say, the station is very likely manned. It makes sense, because someone would need to be there to maintain the various databases, and automated messages couldn't adapt to changing situations as easily as actual agents, no matter how many contingencies were included. And where did you get the idea that the android resistance leaders know that humans are extinct? I haven't seen anything that says that.

The manifests were mostly empty space, most likely to keep a skeleton crew of androids running. If humans were really there, they'd be sending food and protein powder instead of pure water.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Omobono posted:

I think it's explained in extra materials that Scanner models don't have melee combat capabilities, they can't equip or wield melee weapons.
The more eagle-eyed in our audience might have noticed that 9S can; that's because he self-hacked the NCSC in himself, probably after heavily reprogramming it to his tastes. That's how good our Hackerman (HackerCaim?) is.
It's also why 9S' technique isn't very sophisticated. He's self-taught.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Billzasilver posted:

The manifests were mostly empty space, most likely to keep a skeleton crew of androids running. If humans were really there, they'd be sending food and protein powder instead of pure water.

That's what I was saying, though? :shrug:

When I said "manned" I was referring to androids, not men made of meat parts.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

And why he isn’t as effective. He’s not designed to hit things with swords and such so his hitting isn’t as good as 2B and A2.

Also as I recall he’s literally a physically lighter model with less mechanical muscle and such.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Maybe I skimmed over too much of the story, but I'm not understanding what YoRHa was even created for. Did YoRHa's creators ever actually have any intent of doing anything for humanity? Because every document we've found recently has suggested that YoRHa androids basically only exist to kill a bunch of machines and then each other for no real reason. What was the point of the organization in the first place?

I'm hoping this isn't spoiler territory and I just missed something over the last 100+ updates.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

To make the bulk of androids think that there are humans living on the moon, giving them something to live for.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Maybe I skimmed over too much of the story, but I'm not understanding what YoRHa was even created for. Did YoRHa's creators ever actually have any intent of doing anything for humanity? Because every document we've found recently has suggested that YoRHa androids basically only exist to kill a bunch of machines and then each other for no real reason. What was the point of the organization in the first place?

I'm hoping this isn't spoiler territory and I just missed something over the last 100+ updates.

They were essentially used to boost the morale of the other, non-YoRHa androids.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And they used fake androids to do it because it'd be cruel to do it to real androids.

Thats right, 9S's feelings are all fake and lovely, ignore him.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I don't understand how people can think there weren't enough hints about this reveal when literally the last two pages of the thread have been people posting all the implicit hints about this reveal.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Yorha was created for the glory of mankind.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The fact we are about to hit ending C and have had zero direct contact with whatever high up androids came up with Yorha is also probably a bad sign.

The machines just said that they want the war to continue enhance their network. Yorha androids use machine cores. I won’t be totally surprised if it’s basically an unwitting arm of the Machine Network.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

And they used fake androids to do it because it'd be cruel to do it to real androids.

Thats right, 9S's feelings are all fake and lovely, ignore him.

It's alright, you can't be racist against machines. They only think they have feelings!

• Locked thread