Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
98% of security people fall into one of two camps:

1. people without the slightest understanding of what is and isn't a security vulnerability
2. people who don't get that making something more secure is pointless if you make the thing you're securing useless in the process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

hobbesmaster posted:

linus probably saw one too many “root access allows you to run arbitrary commands” vulns and blew up at them

can’t blame him tbh, maintaining the kernel must be painful

whats painful is that hes too pigheaded to hire spender so instead gets people to reimplement his work, poorly

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boiled Water posted:

maybe it’s linux people in general hating things, people, themselves

yeah linux torvalds is kind of a derisive gently caress and so many security people are arrogant as poo poo too

linux's organizing principle is "linux gets what linux wants" and when he decides he'd rather stick his fingers in his ear and screech about how security people are bad that's what we get

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

just went public on p0: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1454

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/motherboard/status/943876599325384704

:cripes:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/hdmoore/status/943913699630346240

2017 and Math.random is still being used

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah linux torvalds is kind of a derisive gently caress and so many security people are arrogant as poo poo too

linux's organizing principle is "linux gets what linux wants" and when he decides he'd rather stick his fingers in his ear and screech about how security people are bad that's what we get

his problem is that a lot of security patches will set new rules, make the penalty for stepping over the line instant death for a process and then ask for it to be merged after barely testing it and adding last minute "oops, forgot about case x" fixes, which means that other forgotten things will almost certainly break and make life miserable for people.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
linus thinks bugs are bugs, and that includes security bugs, and would rather fix the bugs through careful engineering than add protection layers.
spender believes strongly that the right way forward is adding protection layers that make bugs in the kernel inert, and if it breaks things, he sees that as the actual bug.

both linus and spender are hotheads who will never agree on anything. linus is right when he says security people are insane, and spender is right when he says linux security is a shitshow.

your operating system is a piece of poo poo, bicth

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

linus thinks bugs are bugs, and that includes security bugs, and would rather fix the bugs through careful engineering than add protection layers.
spender believes strongly that the right way forward is adding protection layers that make bugs in the kernel inert, and if it breaks things, he sees that as the actual bug.

both linus and spender are hotheads who will never agree on anything. linus is right when he says security people are insane, and spender is right when he says linux security is a shitshow.

your operating system is a piece of poo poo, bicth

Spender is far worse than Linus, which says a lot, if he weren't such a toxic jerk in his interactions with others and actually worked to get his changes upstream instead of screaming about how right he is we might actually have those hardening changes in devices instead of angry Twitter posts about how right he is.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

an update appears:
https://twitter.com/chort0/status/943933566596952065

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

slightly related: is there tooling that allows for an audit of local CAs being used? macos compatible preferred

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

2017 and Math.random is still being used

genuine asking-from-ignorance question - what should they be doing?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

salted hash browns posted:

slightly related: is there tooling that allows for an audit of local CAs being used? macos compatible preferred

on windows you would just use gpos or wmi to enforce or audit cert stores but idk how it works for Linuxes.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

they should be using a cryptographically secure random number generator. By using math.random someone could theoretically predict a password that would be generated.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cloud flare has a wall of lava lamps which seems to work

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

they should be using a cryptographically secure random number generator. By using math.random someone could theoretically predict a password that would be generated.

yes, but instead of "could theoretically" you can assume "will definitely".

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

Shaggar posted:

yeah an example of this is that bitcoin wallet code generator that used Math.random() and someone popped by just literally running the generateCode() function for every millisecond between the time that the site started and now. Then it's just a matter of testing each code generated, which is a far smaller space than otherwise required.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

there's no generally cross-browser-compatible way

what they should probably be doing is anything other than crypto in js

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cocoa Crispies posted:

what they should probably be doing is anything other than crypto in js

it's a good thing that's not js then

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

strange that the cto isn't talking through legal:

https://twitter.com/CraigLurey/status/943948894743834624

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

https://caniuse.com/#feat=getrandomvalues

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
is that bad

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

not if you trust blizzard to
1) generate the key material for it correctly
2) not abuse it

Jewel
May 2, 2009

scam email going around "from" paypal@paypal.com

https://twitter.com/HungrySuccubus/status/943956940727525376

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I don't understand what the scam here is, and why that thread is full of furrys.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's like stuxnet only it targets mains-driven bad dragon devices

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

that looks legit but i guess they inadvertently sent it to normal customers not sellers who use their API

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you're not supposed to use GET on SOAP? how do you do GET things then

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

mrmcd posted:

I don't understand what the scam here is, and why that thread is full of furrys.

i assume the full e-mail has a link to paypal.com.totallynotascam.com or something, but it is possible paypal hosed it up

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I want to subscribe to a paid infosec magazine/journal for CISSP CPEs. Any recommendations? Preferably something without cyber in the title so I know it's not trash.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

vOv posted:

i assume the full e-mail has a link to paypal.com.totallynotascam.com or something, but it is possible paypal hosed it up

yes. there's a link down below that takes you to shady website. they spoofed the sender address

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Raere posted:

I want to subscribe to a paid infosec magazine/journal for CISSP CPEs. Any recommendations? Preferably something without cyber in the title so I know it's not trash.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
when will people stop using the "from:" field as an indicator whether a mail is supposedly good or bad

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

mrmcd posted:

it may surprise you to learn this, but furries are regular people just like you and I who use twitter and get spoofed scam emails

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Jewel posted:

scam email going around "from" paypal@paypal.com
All PayPal notifications look like crude phishing attempts. For example:

code:
Hello, Ulf Lastname

You sent $xxx.00 USDto Firstname Lastname

YOUR NOTE TO Firstname Lastname

Happy Birthday!

Money sent		
"$xxx.00 USD"

You paid		$xxx.00 USD				"Firstname Lastname will receive"		$xxx.00 USD				

Please do not reply to this email. To get in touch with us, click "
Help & Contact
https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/home?ppid=xxx

Ulf fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 22, 2017

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

tavis says what they're doing looks fine to him so i'm going to assume that the people melting down over it don't know what they're talking about

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some of you guys would be surprised at just how large a percentage of all incoming security vulnerability reports are convoluted versions of "if I have root and do [thing], I get root!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

James Baud posted:

Some of you guys would be surprised at just how large a percentage of all incoming security vulnerability reports are convoluted versions of "if I have root and do [thing], I get root!"

99%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
no they said you'd be surprised

• Locked thread