Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

:lol:

the constant "WE WILL NOT FORGET THIS"

and then the "REMEMBER WHEN WE DECIDED TO STICK OUR DICK IN THE HORNET'S NEST LIKE & WEEKS AGO?"

closely followed by a "WHY WOULD YOU NOT JOIN US; LOL WE WILL NOT FORGET THIS"

This loving country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

the constant "WE WILL NOT FORGET THIS"

and then the "REMEMBER WHEN WE DECIDED TO STICK OUR DICK IN THE HORNET'S NEST LIKE & WEEKS AGO?"

closely followed by a "WHY WOULD YOU NOT JOIN US; LOL WE WILL NOT FORGET THIS"

This loving country

I just want them to shut the gently caress up. I'm so sick of this American Identity of "I DID NOTHING WRONG" that permeates and putrifies every single aspect of living in this country. Personal, communal and national self awareness and accountability is at loving zero, and any individual trying to exercise a shred of decency on the public stage gets whiplash by the mountain of op-ed think pieces that exist solely to drive page clicks.

gently caress it all, let the fires wash over us from above.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Speaking of sticking dicks in hornet's nests:

https://twitter.com/APBusiness/status/943965965288640513

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Lol good.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The last few posts remind me that villains never think they're villains, the shittiest people don't think they're lovely people, and people have an unlimited capacity to self-justify their actions.

Content: a judge tossed the first CREW Emoluments Clause lawsuit against Trump. https://twitter.com/gabrielmalor/status/943977763073069057

Justification 1 - CREW has no standing, can't prove they're personally harmed.

Justification 2 - Emoluments Clause can only be enforced by Congress, as it is a political question that courts can't decide.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

The last few posts remind me that villains never think they're villains, the shittiest people don't think they're lovely people, and people have an unlimited capacity to self-justify their actions.

Content: a judge tossed the first CREW Emoluments Clause lawsuit against Trump. https://twitter.com/gabrielmalor/status/943977763073069057

Justification 1 - CREW has no standing, can't prove they're personally harmed.

Justification 2 - Emoluments Clause can only be enforced by Congress, as it is a political question that courts can't decide.

Confused, because isn't there a co-plaintiff who runs a hospitality business that could be directly affected by shenanigans involving Trump Hotels? How could there not be standing?

edit: read through it, and apparently they couldn't prove the above well enough to the judge :/

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 22, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FAUXTON posted:

Funny thing about modern cities is that they have airports and highways, some even have ports, and the modern US military has been able to tackle maintaining/protecting supply routes for quite some time now. If the rurals want to put their farms to the torch and kill all their livestock to own the libs sure go ahead, it ain't a shipping embargo, you won't find all farmers willing to torch everything on the demands of the hicks down the road, and if it ever were to become strategically crucial to control productive hinterlands it'll take more than some ANFO and small arms to mount a defense no matter how rare your pepes are. Cities have infrastructure which allows for refrigeration, artificial lighting, warehouse space to start growing locally, plenty of people willing to lend hydroponics expertise. Cities have logistics hubs that can manage the warehousing and distribution of massive amounts of goods around the clock. Cities have huge amounts of people that can volunteer or be recruited into service for all kinds of wartime production, they have public works systems that can stand up rudimentary concrete highway barrier walls in stupidly short order, the list is super long and none of it requires the leap of logic required to satisfy so much as your first assumption that agriculture would become inaccessible once the proverbial poo poo hit the allegorical fan.

I think you're grossly overestimating how united people will be (not that the rednecks will be a whole lot better), and grossly underestimating just how horrible the situation will get. You're probably right that a lot of supplies will come in from overseas, but to stick with NYC as an example...that's an unprecedented humanitarian crisis almost no matter what. We're pretty much in gay black Hitler territory, but it wouldn't take much more than some ANFO and small arms to gently caress things up. Oh, your electricity that powers everything making it possible for 20M people to live in such proximity comes from WHERE? It all comes down to what the actual situation is and what the various factions are trying to accomplish, but yeah, if you can even gently caress up the basic medical infrastructure of a city you're looking a loving lot of casualties.

Edit: I'm not saying the rednecks will win, I'm saying the cities aren't going to have an easy time of it based on some kind of huge advantage in manufacturing. That was the statement I initially replied to.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I think we're more in danger of a French revolution type scenario than outright civil war tbh.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Good news, they kicked the shutdown can down the road until January 17th.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...m=.f1c39e4c9326

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

gently caress.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

BigDave posted:

lol daca kids are hosed.

someone photoshop the following:
Lucy with her head replaced with 🐢’s
A football labeled bipartisanship
Charlie Brown with his head replaced with Schumer’s

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol daca kids are hosed.

someone photoshop the following:
Lucy with her head replaced with 🐢’s
A football labeled bipartisanship
Charlie Brown with his head replaced with Schumer’s

As much as I want them to fix DACA, I'm a little uncomfortable with them using the budget as leverage here.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Godholio posted:

I think you're grossly overestimating how united people will be (not that the rednecks will be a whole lot better), and grossly underestimating just how horrible the situation will get. You're probably right that a lot of supplies will come in from overseas, but to stick with NYC as an example...that's an unprecedented humanitarian crisis almost no matter what. We're pretty much in gay black Hitler territory, but it wouldn't take much more than some ANFO and small arms to gently caress things up. Oh, your electricity that powers everything making it possible for 20M people to live in such proximity comes from WHERE? It all comes down to what the actual situation is and what the various factions are trying to accomplish, but yeah, if you can even gently caress up the basic medical infrastructure of a city you're looking a loving lot of casualties.

Edit: I'm not saying the rednecks will win, I'm saying the cities aren't going to have an easy time of it based on some kind of huge advantage in manufacturing. That was the statement I initially replied to.

As probably the only person here intimately familiar with modern industrial agriculture and hydroponics I can safely say that making even a moderately sized city self sustaining via hydroponics would be probably the greatest undertaking in human history and would depend on immense amounts of uninterrupted power and water.

But the whole urban vs rural war scenario is the gayest blackest Hitler so it's not really worth talking about besides as a silly thought experiment. Both sides would find themselves in a huge world of poo poo and modern life as we know it would be absolutely impossible for anyone who isn't rich as gently caress.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 22, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Bringing everything to a halt is literally the only bargaining chip the Dems have so of course I don't expect them to get anything more than a broken promise

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

BigDave posted:

14 democratic spineless senators voted for this poo poo. These 14 are banking on the "allow the republicans to skull gently caress everything willingly and maybe the generic republican voters will swap sides" strategy

gently caress

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I really hope Mueller takes everyone down.

If that poo poo gets blown off, vigilantes are gonna come out.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Y’all are just bitter that you’re not getting invited to the best party ever:

https://twitter.com/mbesheer/status/943987297019662336

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

my kinda ape posted:

As probably the only person here intimately familiar with modern industrial agriculture and hydroponics I can safely say that making even a moderately sized city self sustaining via hydroponics would be probably the greatest undertaking in human history and would depend on immense amounts of uninterrupted power and water.

But the whole urban vs rural war scenario is the gayest blackest Hitler so it's not really worth talking about besides as a silly thought experiment. Both sides would find themselves in a huge world of poo poo and modern life as we know it would be absolutely impossible for anyone who isn't rich as gently caress.

Most actual major American cities are on or relatively near large bodies of water with ports. Think the northeast, great lakes region and the west coast. Or Florida/Texas if we're counting those places. :getin:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

That's it. I think I had a stroke. That can't be real.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

This is the dumbest loving timeline.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
What was it that Trump said about other countries respecting America again? Sure seems like we got 130 respect votes today lol

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm trying to imagine what a Trump state reception looks like. I'm imagining catering by Golden Corral, chocolate wonderfall and all.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm trying to imagine what a Trump state reception looks like. I'm imagining catering by Golden Corral, chocolate wonderfall and all.

Ranch dressing waterfall.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Godholio posted:

Is it going to be worse than Sandy, for NYC? That straight up flooded the place. Is it going to be worse than any of the successful/failed terrorist attacks there over the past 16 years? Worse than 9/11?

You're missing the point. A city adapts and responds to a crisis, they have whole departments whose entire job is to draw up plans for what to do when someone blows something up, or when a massive storm shoves the ocean up into everything and your electrical infrastructure has to be repaired. You're thinking a truck of fertilizer and some AR-15s can turn Manhattan's electricity situation into something like Puerto Rico but it took Maria knocking down most of the power lines on that island and a concerted government effort to prevent competent aid deployment to bring that around. Blowing up a substation or part of a power plant (which is a scenario public safety entities certainly do not have any contingency for whatsoever) will cause inconvenience, not humanitarian disaster unless you attack at dozens of points on a near-simultaneous basis, without being found out by authorities, and then you need to cut off most assistance routes and keep them cut off. It's not that you're making entirely brainless or entirely divorced-from-reason arguments, it's just that you are sort of missing the sheer degree of redundancy that a city like NYC has baked in due to institutional longevity - it's been a huge city so long that so much poo poo has hit the fan before they've built a poo poo compendium that catalogues the smell, color, and consistency of all conceivable fan-vectored turds and has research on the most efficient way of cleaning it off the fan if not making sure it never hits the fan in the first place. Causing that kind of disruption to a city like that is in the realm of massive weather phenomena or a systemic failure cascade like that big blackout a few decades back.

The "Juche NYC" Hitler is super gay and black, agreed 100% but the "Con Ed and state/federal efforts being outmatched by militia wood elves" Hitler is so gay and black scientists haven't developed sufficient physics theory to understand it. The biggest hurdle would be humanitarian supply and the simplest solution to that would be to bring it in via ship. After that, hell, your biggest problem would probably be dealing with the fact that you're likely imposing martial law on an unheard-of scale. It's not like they aren't catching some jackass with a car full of explosives every couple/few years anyway.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

DoktorLoken posted:

Most actual major American cities are on or relatively near large bodies of water with ports. Think the northeast, great lakes region and the west coast. Or Florida/Texas if we're counting those places. :getin:

The United States is the world's largest agricultural exporter. High grain prices here go unnoticed by us but cause unrest in the third world. Taking 100% of US production off the export market and then meeting the food requirements of the majority of the US population with imports is going to make third world food prices skyrocket and domestic prices would be *insane*. You'd have poor people eating each other. The third world would be in flames. The rural areas would hardly be producing anything themselves because of a lack of gas and chemicals. Hybrid seed production couldn't be maintained without transportation which reduces yields a lot on its own.

It would be a worldwide catastrophe the likes of which we have never seen. 10s if not hundreds of millions of Americans would starve to death and even more than that would die in other countries from starvation and the wars that would start due to unrest from food prices and fights over farmland and food supplies.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

gently caress me, we think real life is like the movies...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

But only one scoop of ice cream.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

my kinda ape posted:

The United States is the world's largest agricultural exporter. High grain prices here go unnoticed by us but cause unrest in the third world. Taking 100% of US production off the export market and then meeting the food requirements of the majority of the US population with imports is going to make third world food prices skyrocket and domestic prices would be *insane*. You'd have poor people eating each other. The third world would be in flames. The rural areas would hardly be producing anything themselves because of a lack of gas and chemicals. Hybrid seed production couldn't be maintained without transportation which reduces yields a lot on its own.

It would be a worldwide catastrophe the likes of which we have never seen. 10s if not hundreds of millions of Americans would starve to death and even more than that would die in other countries from starvation and the wars that would start due to unrest from food prices and fights over farmland and food supplies.

How close to 100% cutoff could they get without a natural disaster helping out, though? How long/far would they be able to get before national guard deployment to secure what would be recognized as strategically important farmland? How many industrial farms would go along with the fentanyl soviet to begin with, signing off on the wholesale destruction of their businesses?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

14 democratic spineless senators voted for this poo poo. These 14 are banking on the "allow the republicans to skull gently caress everything willingly and maybe the generic republican voters will swap sides" strategy

gently caress

You might have had a point if the Republicans had actually needed Democratic votes (it passed 66-32). Their votes are entirely symbolic and not indicative of how they'll vote once an actual budget resolution is on the table.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You might have had a point if the Republicans had actually needed Democratic votes (it passed 66-32).

:thunk:

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

Modern US farms are, obviously, notorious for their heavy labor requirements, and of course most of them are owned, funded, and managed by people who live in close proximity to the land, so this is 100% a plausible scenario

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

The vote would've been 52-46 if every Democratic vote flipped, unless I'm missing something here

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

iirc they need 60 for this vote

Could be wrong.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Deathy McDeath posted:

What was it that Trump said about other countries respecting America again? Sure seems like we got 130 respect votes today lol

We kind of apologized to the world for Georgie W's little Mideast adventure with Obama, but I don't think we'll get a second chance for that after Trump. Every nation on earth is looking around and saying, 'Well all right, what can we do without those loving lunatics?' and every single answer that someone comes up with for that question is one step further from us being what we were as a nation.

Also Department of State has been decapitated, Trump poo poo down it's neck-hole, and the Republicans went through it's pockets before pissing on the corpse so it's infinitely worse than it appears.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

iirc they need 60 for this vote

Could be wrong.

50. They're passing it under reconciliation. Pence would tiebreak for the Republicans, so they would need to lose 3 votes from R seats, if they do not lose 3 votes, the vote passes even if every Democrat stomps their feet and says Nu-uh!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

This afternoon CNN was reporting they needed 8 (D) votes.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

FAUXTON posted:

How close to 100% cutoff could they get without a natural disaster helping out, though? How long/far would they be able to get before national guard deployment to secure what would be recognized as strategically important farmland? How many industrial farms would go along with the fentanyl soviet to begin with, signing off on the wholesale destruction of their businesses?

You're moving the gay black Hitler goal posts here. If we don't have a 100% cut and dry urban vs rural war that's being forced by alien mind control or God or something then there's no scenario where the the military (or a majority of it) doesn't side with the right.

Also for some reason everyone believes otherwise but the reality is that 97% of US farms are family owned.

edit: except for the scenario where we all band together to fight the real enemy, filthy rich people!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 22, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HE WHO CONTROLS THE MEANS OF PRODUCTION something something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

orange juche posted:

50. They're passing it under reconciliation. Pence would tiebreak for the Republicans, so they would need to lose 3 votes from R seats, if they do not lose 3 votes, the vote passes even if every Democrat stomps their feet and says Nu-uh!

You can only do one reconciliation a year and they used it on the tax cuts.

• Locked thread