Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Are the whos in whoville the same microscopic whos that live on a clover blossom in a jungle held by an elephant? Are grinches microscopic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Are the whos in whoville the same microscopic whos that live on a clover blossom in a jungle held by an elephant? Are grinches microscopic?

This one is actually pretty straightforward, the original cartoon shows that all of Whoville is on a snowflake. It's a different Whoville from Horton's dust speck but they're probably the same species.

I'm wrong here, apparently the snowflake thing is from the live action movie, the original book and cartoon just don't specify where Whoville is.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 22, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So the Grinch tried to trigger a bunch of snowflakes, but then realized he is one?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think I watched the Cat in the Hat & Grinch cartoon multiple times as a kid. I have a hazy recollection of it being incredibly cool and one of the reasons I was obsessed with animation where anything was possible.

Also I found out Adventure Time is coming to an end soon, with a final episode titled "Come Along With Me" and a running time of 44 minutes. That makes it something like a mini-movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Whos in both books are completely different characters, played by the same 'cast.' They even look fairly different.

In Horton Hears a Who!, they are a diminutive race of microscopic bug people who live on a dust speck.

In How the Grinch Stole Christmas, they are a diminutive race of regular size being, rendered slightly more anthropomorphic and less insect-like.

And, of course, in the 1966 animated special, they look completely different, even more anthropomorphic, and less diminutive.

The reason the Whos share the same name is not to establish continuity. Such conceptions in the treatment of children's literature and cartoons didn't even exist yet, and attempts to retroactively conform them are inevitably insubstantial. The motivation in using the same name again is rhetorical.

In Horton Hears a Who!, the name of the 'invisible' race of people is literally a question, posing the conflict of the story, which is that the Whos need help to survive, but are unacknowledged and, therefore, treated as non-existent.

In The Grinch, the situation is completely different, as is the rhetorical nature of the name "Who." Again, we are presented with a question, but not with regards to a diminutive people vying for acknowledgment and survival. What we have is a self-sufficient society that is totally unperturbed with the outside world. "Who" now means, in effect, that they are "everybody," that they are a generic stand-in not for the marginalized and oppressed, but the dominant order.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
or the World Health Organization

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In Halloween is Grinch Night the Grinch can change his size at will :pseudo:

He can also do extremely rad poo poo with his eyebrows.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Furthermore if you play close attention, the Lorax is,

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

Furthermore if you play close attention, the Lorax is,

dannty devito

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Calaveron posted:

the Lorax is
The Lorax thinks, therefore he is

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

K. Waste posted:

Double-posting for Geisel art:

but how does The Rape of the Sabine Grinches square with my serial fanon wherein the Grinch and Horton overcome their relative size differences to form a gay relationship and flee the oppressively conservative Who community to a San Francisco studio

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Society has come to such a place that I'm pretty happy when I learn an artist I admired liked to draw women who look like they're over 12 so I'll take it.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
geisel was a madman

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
the whos remind me of the enchanting alien folk on the packaging of a sea monkeys tank, which was the first time in my life that i was aware of being fed bald-faced lies by a marketing department (but not the last)

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
how dare they tell me i can hatch smiling gill-people out of eggs and then rule their civilisation like a tyrant

they completely misled me as to my position in the world

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
lies! lies! it was all lies!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Calm the gently caress down.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
All I know about Dr Seuss is that he once wrote a book of tongue twisters, and given how much of his stuff already reads like tongue twisters, what comes out when he's trying is absolutely unfair.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ssssh........ learn to draw a horse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-5dIGJQyHg

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe

Pick posted:

Ssssh........ learn to draw a horse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-5dIGJQyHg
why would i want to do something like th-

:kiddo:!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

australiar posted:

the whos remind me of the enchanting alien folk on the packaging of a sea monkeys tank, which was the first time in my life that i was aware of being fed bald-faced lies by a marketing department (but not the last)

I knew they were lies in that they were lame little shrimp instead of monkey men society but it was only this very week that I read a thing and learned that the whole drat thing is a trick and there is no such thing as "water purifier" that you add to the water before the sea monkeys. The supposed water purifier is just the eggs and the package labeled eggs is just dye and a thing to agitate them. So the "purified water" already has sea monkeys in it then the dye makes them show up and swim around.

Also I learned that the sea monkey guy ended up becoming an honest to god actual nazi. Not like a "walt disney didn't trust jews so he's a nazi" sort of thing but like, the sea monkey guy was heiling hitler and stuff in the 1980s.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Donna Barr owns and if I ever have a skazillion dollars she will get movies.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe

Pick posted:

Donna Barr owns and if I ever have a skazillion dollars she will get movies.
"this is a good place to shoot a horse, right here - don't ask!"

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
this is amazing, thank you pick

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

australiar posted:

"this is a good place to shoot a horse, right here - don't ask!"

Get your rear end here to NAmerica when she does her con, I'll loving drive you there. You know I mean it.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
"a horse's kick unleashes as much energy as an exploding hand grenade. they can kick your head off, literally. don't get behind a horse"

i promise you that if i ever have more than a hundred dollars in the bank i will come to america and you and i and donna barr will all go out for yum cha

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Also if people are deconstructing doctor suess specials someone please explain pontoffel pock to me, it always feels like it has a moral but for the life of me I've never been able to tell what it is.

Like it almost follows the structure of a guy being bored in his simple life, wishing to get away from it all, being given a world tour and an adventure, in a careful what you wish for type way, meeting a girl who also wants to get away from it all then ending back in his simple life with a greater appreciation. But like, it doesn't follow that structure because he never wanted to get away, he WANTED to work at the pickle factory from the start, also the head angel fairy guy uses the same "I want to get away from it all" phrase it seems really negative. Like the character development seems to follow a man as he learns how to use levers more correctly?

(I have no particular opinion on The Hoober-Bloob Highway)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

australiar posted:

"a horse's kick unleashes as much energy as an exploding hand grenade. they can kick your head off, literally. don't get behind a horse"

i promise you that if i ever have more than a hundred dollars in the bank i will come to america and you and i and donna barr will all go out for yum cha

Keep your eye on Kayak, I can probably spring ~$800 towards you if the timing works.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also if people are deconstructing doctor suess specials someone please explain pontoffel pock to me, it always feels like it has a moral but for the life of me I've never been able to tell what it is.

Like it almost follows the structure of a guy being bored in his simple life, wishing to get away from it all, being given a world tour and an adventure, in a careful what you wish for type way, meeting a girl who also wants to get away from it all then ending back in his simple life with a greater appreciation. But like, it doesn't follow that structure because he never wanted to get away, he WANTED to work at the pickle factory from the start, also the head angel fairy guy uses the same "I want to get away from it all" phrase it seems really negative. Like the character development seems to follow a man as he learns how to use levers more correctly?

Oh thank you, I knew I saw this special but I could NEVER remember it's name.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's really subversive. Pock's pickle factory job is dull and dehumanizing, but necessary for him to maintain the decrepit house (read: lifestyle and social status) he inherited from his parents, which requires him to continually earn and spend to maintain it. He is a prisoner of ideology, and is willing to sacrifice his humanity to this end. When he finds himself unable to shed his individuality and adequately conform, he's fired, and wants to escape the system -- and his escapist fantasy is a place where Neefa Feefa also leads a life of suffering and exploitation by a wealthy ruling class. In an ironic twist, her fantasy of "getting away from it all" means going to Pock's industrial capitalist nightmare and being exploited in a slightly different way than she's accustomed to. Basically, the moral of the story is that there is no escape, dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 23, 2017

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Also let's judge a man who was the caretaker for his chronically ill and bedridden wife for over a decade as harshly as possible for seeking intimacy outside of his marriage, that seems fair

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's really subversive. Pock's pickle factory job is dull and dehumanizing, but necessary for him to maintain the decrepit house (read: lifestyle and social status) he inherited from his parents, which requires him to continually earn and spend to maintain it. He is a prisoner of ideology, and is willing to sacrifice his humanity to this end. When he finds himself unable to shed his individuality and adequately conform, he's fired, and wants to escape the system -- and his escapist fantasy is a place where Neefa Feefa also leads a life of suffering and exploitation by a wealthy ruling class. In an ironic twist, her fantasy of "getting away from it all" means going to Pock's industrial capitalist nightmare and being exploited in a slightly different way than she's accustomed to. Basically, the moral of the story is that there is no escape, dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

That is another way the special WOULD have made sense. But it seems like working at a pickle factory is a wonderful way to spend every day and his toes curl just thinking about how great it would be. Likewise there keeps being references to helping him being against fairy rules like maybe there could be a story where the higher up fairies won't help but the rank and file fairies do whats right, but it's only the helpers that seem to worry about the rules and the higher up fairies seem nothing but helpful.

It even thinks weird to think of this as just a "it doesn't mean anything, it's just a fun adventure" because it clearly has a bunch of themes and repeated motifs that make it feel like you need to figure out why like 4 separate characters dealing with operating levers or talking about getting or losing a job is important to the story.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yo, a while ago, someone posted Richard Williams' A Christmas Carol (1971) as YTotD and it's sick. And in a 1080p transfer of a relatively clean 16mm print!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzyC9CZuOA

Alastair Sim's voicing Scrooge here, and immediately the thing that jumps out to me is that he's not crafting Scrooge as the standard ghoul that you typically see. He's very feeble and anxious, giving the narrative a breadth of social realism that makes the character immediately identifiable and thus not just a miser to be knocked off a pedestal.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is another way the special WOULD have made sense. But it seems like working at a pickle factory is a wonderful way to spend every day and his toes curl just thinking about how great it would be.

Exactly -- it's perverse. He can't conceive of a better way to be. Subconsciously, of course, he recognizes it's a rotten existence, and self-sabotages as soon as possible.

quote:

Likewise there keeps being references to helping him being against fairy rules like maybe there could be a story where the higher up fairies won't help but the rank and file fairies do whats right, but it's only the helpers that seem to worry about the rules and the higher up fairies seem nothing but helpful.

I mean, the fairies are really just enabling him to traipse around Europe acting like an oblivious, privileged idiot and loving things up for everyone he passes. By giving him "another chance", nothing is learned. So I wouldn't call it being helpful.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm confused if Pickles was Pock's first job, or latest in the long line of gently caress ups, but boy his complete lack of awareness is astounding, given all his problems were caused by him not paying attention or not giving a flying gently caress about other people around him.

Still, no idea what the short's trying to get at.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 23, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

For British kids, it wouldn’t be Christmas without Channel 4 broadcasting Raymond Briggs’ 1982 classic The Snowman.

Original intro version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE9KpobX9J8

David Bowie intro version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEoqb0_mrg

Very good making of docu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIrbQ_9LSLU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

paradoxGentleman posted:

My theory: there are actually multiple Grinches. They see referred to as "the Grinch" by their surrounding communities because they are not aware of Grinch society at large.

This is backed up by the fact that, in "The Grinch Grinches the Cat in an Hat", the local Grinch's reflection tells "I think the time had come for thee to recite the Grinch's oath with me", which seems to imply that there is a dispersed but very real society of Grinches our there dedicated to being an asocial curmudgeon.

There's just one tiny little problem there - the Cat in the Hat ultimately defeats the Grinch by singing a song reminding him of his mother. By all logic, that should have just made him more determined to embrace his heritage and become the best rear end in a top hat he can be.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The one thing that bothers me is the Cat in the Hat basically imagined the entire psychiatry scene, and yet he somehow managed to correctly guess Grinch loves his momma due to something he completely imagined.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, if we take the Meyers movie. the Cat in the Hat is an omnipotent trickster deity, so that shouldn't be outside his power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Exactly -- it's perverse. He can't conceive of a better way to be. Subconsciously, of course, he recognizes it's a rotten existence, and self-sabotages as soon as possible.

I'm just not buying that totally external reading is what it was meant to be.

Like three people "want to get away from here" because of their job.

Puck because he has no job. Nefa because her job is weird fantasy sex slavery. And then the great fairy because he's failed his job for the first time.

Like it's a super solid literary theme and doctor seuss stories almost always are "about" something, but it doesn't clearly mean anything.

The simple answer is clearly that the special was poorly made and didn't deliver on it's theme and got muddled up in production somehow but it's hard to even figure out what it was even supposed to be without just making up some arbitrary symbolism like factory work being bad and this having a grim ending. Even the name of the thing being "where are you" doesn't tie into anything except a random scene of him flying around. It's not a "all the places you'll go" type story. The places he goes basically don't mean anything and are mostly real places.