Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The original Castle Wolfenstein game was epic for it's time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein 3D was a groundbreaking FPS game, and people need to read "masters of doom".

To me, the weakest id games (pre bethseda buyout) are Quake 3: Arena, RAGE, and...Quake 2 for removing the ax/chainsaw/fist/knive melee attack option.

masters of doom is a bible to me

i agree with your picks as well

quake > ut forever tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im honestly 99% considering getting a nokia 3310 and giving my kid my iphone 8, then grabbing an ipad mini with 3g down the road if i miss navigation that much.

i read the japanese art of tidying up and trying to declutter the poo poo out of everything. i

made a new box for gaming- its a tiny case the fits my 980ti and plays everything i i want it to. i sold my ps4 because gently caress console gaming forever idiot bitches pc master race

also sold my apple watch. the notifications were making me paranoid. also the battery life kinda sucks.

idk im kinda done with new tech and im looking at best ways to move up north and buy a unabomber cabin with high speed internet and weed dispensaries. maine, new hampshire, vermont are all on my radar

remember that cabin that robert forrester put walter white into? like that, but brighter and happier

unabomber cabin with those rgb led strips everywhere for that PC GAMING aesthetic :pcgaming:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Rage had so much potential.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

Rage had so much potential.

rage had excellent shooting

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
What a mess it turned out to be, though. Even after they supposedly fixed most of the bugs, I still had issues out the wazoo. I never finished it. :(

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i say its good because john goodman was in it and he owns

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i say its good because john goodman was in it and he owns

I spent a week trying to decide if Goodman was worth buying a bad video game for.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i wish they would make an arma engined roseanne game based on the tv show and it had co-op play

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

well they’re doing a few new episode for netflix

i will watch the poo poo out of it

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Which becky

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

well they’re doing a few new episode for netflix

i will watch the poo poo out of it

Isn't Dan supposed to be canonically dead? I haven't seen the show in years.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

you shut your whore mouth

except for RAGE, RAGE was bad

All I remember about Quake 3: Arena was JUMP PADS and wishing it had Unreal Tournaments bots and/or mutators.

Before Quake 2, all the previous id first person shooters had melee weapons, Quake 2 did not. Dismembering the Strogg with a chainsaw would have been amazing(and fitting),
those Strogg were BDSM freaks & would have loved being non-consentually chainsawed....instead Quake 2 replaced the melee slot with the lamest possible lite-brite bb pistol.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Which Becky?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

quake > ut forever tho

My favorite bits from Masters of Doom will always be:
-John Carmack did time in juvie jail for stealing a computer.
-John Romero has enlisted.txt amounts of ex-wives(and a few more since that book was published)
-the entire ion storm game studio implosion

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

quake > ut forever tho

Unreal Tournament 99 wins for it's soundtrack.

I still listen to that soundtrack.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Laranzu posted:

Unreal Tournament 99 wins for it's soundtrack.

I still listen to that soundtrack.

Morpheus

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Darji 16 and Facing Worlds were, are, and always will be the best CTF maps known to man.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

both beckies are in it

not kidding

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Isn't Dan supposed to be canonically dead? I haven't seen the show in years.

yeah the last season was all just Roseanne writing a book, dan died after his heart attack

john goodman is doing the show though so maybe they made the right decision and said gently caress it

wonder if george clooney is going to make an appearance

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Roseanne voted for trump lol.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

orange juche posted:

Roseanne voted for trump lol.

shes legit crazy. schizophrenic.

funny though.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Made more progress in Ultima 8.
As horrible as Ultima 8 is, it's nice not having multiple versions of Richard Garriott in a Ultima game, and no starvation mechanic/no companions.

Unlocked 'johnny five aces' in brigador, lol at his bio. I really enjoy how the ONLY thing you don't get $$ for destroying in Brigador is utility poles.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
That is one of the few ultima games I have never played

and I kinda want to go back and play 5, 6, and 7 now

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ultima 7 was very good. Shamino & Iolo & Dupre: buzzkills, unwanted companions.

After I finish Ultima 8, planning on playing the Ultima 6 engine sidegames, then the Underworld games, then maybe ultima 9.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

The World in Conflict server code has just been released as open source.

https://github.com/ubisoftinc/massgate

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72VXMjO14oc

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i giggled

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8kp3b5h2DY

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Postin' some steamed hams itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMEAjTYwEew

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Im loving dying, because this is great

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I remember why I gave up on Ultima 8 originally: the pentagram spells that require exact placement of candles & spell components.
What the game tells you to do with the pentagram spells isn't what actually works. Ultima 8's really poor mouse controls dragging/dropping
actively messes with you, this is where another 1-3 months minimum of fine tuning was needed during U8 development.

I say this as a person who actively hates platforming in games:
it's extremely weird that the platforming segments are polished and painfree but everything else needed so much more work in Ultima 8.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Was ultima 8 the one where they tried to feature jumping?

I just remember that one wasn't reviewed well.

So in crossout, I've been seal clubbing lower strength players because high power score play isn't fun yet. I built a minivan that launches drones out that do all the work while I run around, toot horns, and shoot a machine gun to strip weapons off of people.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That was truly a masterpiece.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

:perfect:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

New Ninja Turtles van looking good.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

There was a big Xbox digital game sale and I needed some stuff to play on my Xbonx so I bought Assassin's Creed IV, Dishonored, and Life Is Strange. Been playing through Assassin's Creed and it's actually pretty decent. I've never played any of the other games before so I am not sure what the gently caress is going on with the storyline but sailing boats around and shooting poo poo is pretty fun.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Third World Reggin posted:

Yeah. Ultima 8 movement is 100% controlled by the mouse, and you jump as far away as the mouse cursor is from your character.
The mouse cursor will shorten or lengthen depending on where it is on a map.
Also, your character WILL SHAKE IT'S HEAD if you try to make a impossible jump....why don't other vastly better games have that?

Ultima 8 needed so much rework done. The camera angle is awkward, the camera itself is more zoomed on your character than any other ultima game(30 foot viewable radius),
it's realtime combat with mouse controlled movement, the mouse controls suck for fine movement/moving objects, the dungeons are modelled on actual caves with obstacles/mushrooms/crevasses which A+ for effort but D- minus for gameplay, monsters respawn within seconds out-of-camera view(but don't wander),
only one person in the game buys things from you and that person tends to wander around the main city and also only rebuys one thing from you,
potion bottles stay in your inventory after use fooling you into thinking there is a potion refilling/recharging mechanic but there is not, the teleportation between areas
gimmick is gimped to force lots of cave re-running, and finally there is 4 different spell systems (all with unique components) that you MUST master to finish the game.

The good stuff in Ultima 8: the forced platforming segments are pain-free, once you're tooled up with magic armor & weapons you can tank attacks from multiple demons/trolls, the ultra frustrating 2 create pentagram spells allow for multiple charges unlike the other spell systems, no Shamino in the game, the dispel undead spell affects multiple targets, no starvation gimmick like in ultima 7, spells hurt people real bad, no Lord British in the game, spells allow you to walk on lava + supersteal, and finally there is a special magical shield in fire-mage dungeon that stops any/all fire damage.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

There was a big Xbox digital game sale and I needed some stuff to play on my Xbonx so I bought Assassin's Creed IV, Dishonored, and Life Is Strange. Been playing through Assassin's Creed and it's actually pretty decent. I've never played any of the other games before so I am not sure what the gently caress is going on with the storyline but sailing boats around and shooting poo poo is pretty fun.

black flag is probably my favorite of the few assassin's creeds i've played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Third World Reggin posted:

So in crossout, I've been seal clubbing lower strength players because high power score play isn't fun yet. I built a minivan that launches drones out that do all the work while I run around, toot horns, and shoot a machine gun to strip weapons off of people.

They still use the geneva convention in the wasteland?