Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Good advice.
Pick Your Poison in Puzzle Strike seems hilariously broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Moriatti posted:

Guys I was given 20 Switchbux what do I spend it on?

EDIT: Wrong Thread
Fake Second Edit: Fuckit answer me anyways.

Earthbound.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dirk Gently was fantastic so Max Landis is at least capable of writing well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dirk Gently had some good individual scenes and characters but I disagree in the strongest possible terms that it was fantastic.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Dirk Gently is an probably the strongest possible example of an adaption being the exact opposite of it's source material to a spiteful degree while still insisting it exists in the same framework.

Also the BBC version from like 2006 was far superior and the fact it only had seven episodes is a crime.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

that's a big if

Dec 26, 2012

He rules

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Dirk Gently is an probably the strongest possible example of an adaption being the exact opposite of it's source material to a spiteful degree while still insisting it exists in the same framework.

Also the BBC version from like 2006 was far superior and the fact it only had seven episodes is a crime.

Yeah, the books were full of observational humor quietly poking fun at the absurdity of life. The TV show was as if an idiot watched a bunch of Terry Gilliam movies and took away only the surface level absurdism, then added in a bunch of guns and violence. In fact, the only laughs in the show came from the atrocious acting.

"It stinks!"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Contrast the last series, which had a pilot about a reverse-conspiracy theorist who developed a Casus Belli machine that would allow you to justify anyone going to war with anyone else.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Weirdo posted:

I met him in Vancouver and to his credit he was very friendly and nice, but man he is living in another world, where a $700 USD hoodie barely registers as an expense.

He seems like a nice enough dude who has some wild ideas that I'd normally be genuinely interested in but the actual execution of said ideas has always left me wanting.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Slimnoid posted:

He seems like a nice enough dude who has some wild ideas that I'd normally be genuinely interested in but the actual execution of said ideas has always left me wanting.

He strikes me as one of those types who can't take any criticism, constructive or otherwise, because he's lived in the shadow of his dad and has had, and continues to have, a charmed existence. He talks up every one of his ideas as it being the best thing ever and anyone who thinks otherwise is blind to his vision or a coward. You can make the argument that he's just doing self promotion and damage control but I honestly feel like he believes for instance that his Fantastic Four script would have been the greatest superhero movie ever. He also wouldn't have a career right now if he wasn't John Landis' son and a minor member of Hollywood nobility.

It's still hilarious and somewhat fitting that Lex Luthor in the current DC movies is based on him. It's completely unacceptable to me because Clancy Brown's voice and that characterization of Lex Luthor is how I read Lex Luthor but it fits the character of a rich genius who can't take his genius being denied and someone upstaging him, especially someone who he feels didn't work as hard as him to gain that status.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Malicious Djinn smiles as he didn't specify which star wars at the point theres five times as much bad movies than good

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Slimnoid posted:

He's apparently a nice enough dude so long as you don't make the mistake of being a woman around him.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hey, since we were talking about reskinning, I'd like some ideas for a certain thing - the damage buff. In fantasy games, the cleric casts a spell to make you stronger so you hit harder and do more damage. How does that translate to a game where you are shooting bullets at enemies? How can a buffing class buff an ally's damage and have it "make sense"?

(The one explanation I don't want is "they point out the enemy's weak points" because that fits better with causing vulnerability or increasing the odds of critical hits, which are also cool buffs that the same class could have and having 3 distinct powers with the same fluff is dumb)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, since we were talking about reskinning, I'd like some ideas for a certain thing - the damage buff. In fantasy games, the cleric casts a spell to make you stronger so you hit harder and do more damage. How does that translate to a game where you are shooting bullets at enemies? How can a buffing class buff an ally's damage and have it "make sense"?

(The one explanation I don't want is "they point out the enemy's weak points" because that fits better with causing vulnerability or increasing the odds of critical hits, which are also cool buffs that the same class could have and having 3 distinct powers with the same fluff is dumb)

they toss you some of the good ammo. the better bullets. the super shells

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The gear monkey tosses you a clip of custom-made ununoctium bullets

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdaZZanDI34&t=22s

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

He strikes me as one of those types who can't take any criticism, constructive or otherwise, because he's lived in the shadow of his dad and has had, and continues to have, a charmed existence. He talks up every one of his ideas as it being the best thing ever and anyone who thinks otherwise is blind to his vision or a coward. You can make the argument that he's just doing self promotion and damage control but I honestly feel like he believes for instance that his Fantastic Four script would have been the greatest superhero movie ever. He also wouldn't have a career right now if he wasn't John Landis' son and a minor member of Hollywood nobility.

It's still hilarious and somewhat fitting that Lex Luthor in the current DC movies is based on him. It's completely unacceptable to me because Clancy Brown's voice and that characterization of Lex Luthor is how I read Lex Luthor but it fits the character of a rich genius who can't take his genius being denied and someone upstaging him, especially someone who he feels didn't work as hard as him to gain that status.

That's more or less my thoughts on him, yeah. He's the consummate "idea guy" who can't actually implement his idea properly and gets pissed when no one agrees with him/doesn't live up to his exacting expectations.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Jimbozig posted:

"Here's a laser-sight/AP ammo" or you go the Warlord option, ala Tombstone's reckoning scene.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Jimbozig posted:

When shot the bullets are temporarily sent to a dimension where the atmosphere's coefficient of friction is smaller.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Jimbozig posted:

Temporal distortion allows your shooter to move slightly faster than their target, increasing relative velocity of the shot and decreasing the opponent's ability to get out of the way.

God miraculously guides your bullets straight and true.

The buffing character's powers work by tinkering with causality, shutting down entire paths of existence where the bullets did less damage.

An application of micro-sized contact-fuzed explosive coating increases damage when the slug hits.

The caster increases localized entropy around the bullet during flight, which aggravates any wound or damage it causes.

The engineer temporarily overcharges the shooter's railgun.

How does the original flavor work?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

after watching bright, lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ProfessorCirno posted:

"There’s boring, there’s bad, and then there’s “Bright,” a movie so profoundly awful that Republicans will probably try to pass it into law over Christmas break."

I won't bother linking any full reviews of the movie because nothing can top that line.
I just watched it. That burn is, if anything, far too kind.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimbozig posted:

"Teamwork" -> The next time the target character attacks something, the activating character also shoots that thing, dealing additional damage.
"Flushed out" -> Target mob is driven into a less advantageous position, dealing additional damage.
"Get your head in the game" -> Target character gets their head in the game, dealing additional damage.
"A grenade" -> Target character gains a grenade, dealing additional damage

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I have yet to see Bright, but I do think that Dirk Gently is a bad adaptation that is also in and of itself a good and interesting show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdhQMwtskpE

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

The buffee gets really jazzed about inflicting pain and the bad vibes cause whatever's shot to take more damage.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Plutonis posted:

The shadowrun movie starring Will Smith, directed by David Ayer and written by Max Landis is out. Anyone streaming it?

It looks promising from the previews. I'm going to stream it with a bunch of buddies tomorrow. Will report back.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Halloween Jack posted:

For one, so much of the game is customizable that it takes a long time to read through and digest. I find myself having this problem with a lot of newer, better-designed games, including Fragged Empire and Let Thrones Beware. They are easy to reference but difficult to chew through and fully digest.

A public compliment? This is fuel for literally months more of development!

Can you unpack what you mean by difficult to chew through? I'm sure interested in hearing stumbling blocks so I can make it easier for people to pick up.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Jimbozig posted:

The bullets glow now. And everyone knows glowing weapons do more damage.

If the buff is really strong maybe they'll be some kind of floating symbol things in front of the gun barrel, everyone knows those sting like hell.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
The buffer cranks off a snap shot at the buffee's target, causing it to flinch/pop out of cover and let the recipient land a better shot.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

"That rifle has sights you loving moron, try aiming next time!"

"I swear to Christ that if you miss, I'm putting a bullet in your back myself!"

"Hey, that rear end in a top hat's foot's sticking out of cover. Take it off."

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blasphemeral posted:

It looks promising from the previews. I'm going to stream it with a bunch of buddies tomorrow. Will report back.

spoiler. its bad

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

spoiler. its bad

Instead, watch Dark, it's German and slow and very good

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I have such mixed feelings about the Dirk Gently show. I really liked parts of it but as it went on I just felt like it got worse and worse. Everything related to Dirk's backstory was just atrocious.

Unrelated, but has anyone had a chance to try out Lancer? It's a beta test Mech rpg by the Kill Six Billion Demons guy. It looks very cool, particularly the mech customization and electronic warfare stuff, but I'm wondering how well it works in practice.

The game is here if you want to check it out. https://www.reddit.com/r/LancerRPG/comments/7i400h/lancer_play_test_update_3_15_released/

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

slap me and kiss me posted:

A public compliment? This is fuel for literally months more of development!

Can you unpack what you mean by difficult to chew through? I'm sure interested in hearing stumbling blocks so I can make it easier for people to pick up.

Dunno what the OP meant, but my experience with the Fragged games is that the lists o' traits can take a while to parse through upfront. They're presented without commentary or much description in most cases, so the reader has to kind of work through in their head what each will effectively do in game. Contrast that with other games where powers/traits/etc. usually have flavor text or commentary that describes at least generally what the design intent of the object in question is.

Mind, I don't know if its a disadvantage so much as that it makes the learning curve a little different from most other RPGs. I think it does have several advantages doing it this way.
It avoids the problem a lot of RPG descriptive text has where the narration gives you a false or misleading impression, for one. It also makes it very easy to reference mechanically once you already know the game for another. Its just in that learning bit, where you're trying to absorb what traits are supposed to do alongside all the other mechanics, that it can take a little longer, and a lot more flipping back and forth between the base rules and the traits, to puzzle through.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Blisster posted:

I have such mixed feelings about the Dirk Gently show. I really liked parts of it but as it went on I just felt like it got worse and worse. Everything related to Dirk's backstory was just atrocious.

Unrelated, but has anyone had a chance to try out Lancer? It's a beta test Mech rpg by the Kill Six Billion Demons guy. It looks very cool, particularly the mech customization and electronic warfare stuff, but I'm wondering how well it works in practice.

The game is here if you want to check it out. https://www.reddit.com/r/LancerRPG/comments/7i400h/lancer_play_test_update_3_15_released/

Were you a fan of the books before? I think part of the problem is how different from the material it is - I've never read the books, so was taking the show as the American version of Utopia, and it owns. If I was expecting something Douglas Adamsy id have been well pissed.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Was tempted to watch Bright, hit the name of the production company and turned it off. "Trigger Warning Pictures" might be a thoughtful message of "We're going to make films that could be triggering for those with certain kinds of Post Traumatic Stress" but you know, given it's Max Landis and the Suicide Squad guy, kinda low on benefit of the doubt there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think that's the entirety of the problem and kinda hard to ignore. Like, it's nominally an adaptation of Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently, I don't think you'd be wrong to expect something similar in tone to Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently books under any definition of an adaptation.

Okay, that's not the entirety of the problem. There's also the fact that it feels like a third rate Doctor Who knockoff, that it's obnoxiously tailored to the Quirky Detective focus group, and that, left to his own devices and in face of the fact that generations of writers had to fight that exact thing, Max Landis wrote an ending that feels in every way like it was forced into the show by the studio as a sequel hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Watched it. Landis was right, this was his Star Wars. Indeed it's as good as the Last Jedi and Revenge of the Sith.

• Locked thread