Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah I forgot to post this. It's hilarious.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/942329507721117696

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

Pro click. And "hilarious" is the exact right term to describe this.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Could they be smuggled overland through Oman? They've got a large border, I know Oman is relatively stable, but Imagine that border must be porous.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Holy poo poo there need to be an edit of that where N64 era Evangelion-02 model crushes the SA tanks while Bach starts playing.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The KRSC is getting worried about the movements of Iraqi forces, claiming they're preparing for an attack to capture territory

https://twitter.com/KRSCPress/status/943438816706224128

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Thread existence justified. I dare you to post this in GBS.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Volkerball posted:

Nice Battle Isle '94 let's play my man

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Volkerball posted:

THE FRIGATE - BUILT FOR SPEED goes 14 knots

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Brown Moses posted:

The KRSC is getting worried about the movements of Iraqi forces, claiming they're preparing for an attack to capture territory

https://twitter.com/KRSCPress/status/943438816706224128

I doubt these actions are entirely uncoordinated events, and as soon as putey washes his hands the kurds are going to have noisy visitors

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Did I just watch the Saudi army roll in with tanks through Tehran with cheering Iranians holding Saudi and Iranian flags together with portraits of MBS. How could anyone older than 14 make that video? FFS

Also shouldn’t they all be slaughtered anyway since they are infidel sub-Jew taqiya scum?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
According to the Arms Control Wonks, the missile showed signs of being crudely welded back together. They figured that it could have been smuggled into Yemen in parts. But doing that felt intuitively wrong to them because of the potential to screw things up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Sinteres posted:

The media have a habit of being really gullible when the US or its allies say their missile defense systems have worked.

The US DOD has been mum on KSA intercepts last as far as I know.

KSA crews also have a mix of less effective legacy patriot and newer stuff. Notably, the US doesn’t put it’s important stuff under allied Patriot protection. The US far prefers its own crews, tactics, and equipment. But that’s expensive, so getting partners up to snuff is a longer term goal.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

The US DOD has been mum on KSA intercepts last as far as I know.

KSA crews also have a mix of less effective legacy patriot and newer stuff. Notably, the US doesn’t put it’s important stuff under allied Patriot protection. The US far prefers its own crews, tactics, and equipment. But that’s expensive, so getting partners up to snuff is a longer term goal.

Yeah I didn't mean we were lying about this one, but we lied our asses off about the Patriot's effectiveness in the Gulf War. The media were even more gullible back then of course. I assume the system is better than it was in 1991, but W Bush people said it still sucked as they walked out the door, so who knows. My understanding is that there's a lot of skepticism about Israel's much praised Iron Dome too.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sinteres posted:

Yeah I didn't mean we were lying about this one, but we lied our asses off about the Patriot's effectiveness in the Gulf War. The media were even more gullible back then of course. I assume the system is better than it was in 1991, but W Bush people said it still sucked as they walked out the door, so who knows.

In 2003 US Patriot made 9 out of 9 kinetic kill intercepts successfully. In the Gulf War, nope, pretty damned ineffective!

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Saladman posted:

Also shouldn’t they all be slaughtered anyway since they are infidel sub-Jew taqiya scum?

Saudi would call them Rafidah and begin by demolishing every Shia masjid in Iran

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

In 2003 US Patriot made 9 out of 9 kinetic kill intercepts successfully. In the Gulf War, nope, pretty damned ineffective!

Oops, yeah it looks like I got it wrong. It was Clinton's Secretary of Defense who said it didn't work, not W Bush people.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
They changed the way the Patriot works, (this was on John Dolan's show last week). It used to be an explosive warhead that was designed for shooting down fragile Soviet jets but mostly useless against a Scud. So they replaced the explosive warhead with a "kinetic warhead", which is actually just a chunk of heavy metal, and updated the guidance system to allow it to ram into Scuds, detonating their warhead or at least knocking them off course. It should, at least in theory, be a lot more effective.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Thug Lessons posted:

They changed the way the Patriot works, (this was on John Dolan's show last week). It used to be an explosive warhead that was designed for shooting down fragile Soviet jets but mostly useless against a Scud. So they replaced the explosive warhead with a "kinetic warhead", which is actually just a chunk of heavy metal, and updated the guidance system to allow it to ram into Scuds, detonating their warhead or at least knocking them off course. It should, at least in theory, be a lot more effective.

Modern patriots are way, way more effective against ballistic missiles. The legacy missiles are faster and can reach out really far against stuff like air-breathing aircraft (has engine that breathes air, rather than rocket/missile going into high altitude or space).

Legacy missiles have been upgraded in capability to be better against ballistic missiles than from the Gulf War, but they are still not as good against missiles as the new stuff.

This video has absurd music and is all kinds of overproduced, but it has some good fidelity video of a kinetic intercept, which is a hell of a lot better than the old shotgun blast shrapnel method. In the video, you can also see the attitude control motors firing just before intercept to do last-instant micro corrections to achieve point of aim on target.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HvAuIi02AE

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 20, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Isn’t the US Navy helping with the blockade though?

They're too busy colliding with fishing vessels, tankers, container ships, tugboats, and the shore to be allowed near a busy sea lane.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

They're too busy colliding with fishing vessels, tankers, container ships, tugboats, and the shore to be allowed near a busy sea lane.

Colliding with commercial ships would make for a pretty effective blockade.

Until you ran out of navy ships, of course.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if anyone is following developments in the KRG, but things have been getting progressively worse and worse there over the last 4 days. A lot of civil servants haven't been paid in months, which sparked a wave of protests. The KRG responded with force, and the protests grew. Their scope broadened to include issues with the referendum, Kirkuk, the Talabani/Barzani clan system, and general repression by the KRG. The PUK and the KDP have both been hit with them, though the PUK have taken the brunt of it. Both have their peshmerga deployed in cities all over Kurdistan, creating more anger, and the situation in some places has become very ugly. Countrywide we're talking dozens of deaths and hundreds of wounded over the last few days. This could be a precursor to a lot of bad things. While this is pushing the PUK and the KDP together, the PUK is extremely factionalized and susceptible to infighting, and people are really pissed off. Gorran has also withdrawn from the government, creating more instability, so it's a really dangerous time.

https://twitter.com/AramKrdstn/status/943083734101823488

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Saladman posted:

Did I just watch the Saudi army roll in with tanks through Tehran with cheering Iranians holding Saudi and Iranian flags together with portraits of MBS. How could anyone older than 14 make that video? FFS

"We will be greeted as liberators!"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Meanwhile, in Egypt:
https://twitter.com/Arn_Del/status/943970825996324869/video/1

quote:

Video showing the #ISIS attack on al-Arish Airbase in North #Sinai. An UH-60 that has just landed is destroyed with a 9M133 Kornet ATGM. The pilot did not survive. This helicopter was carrying the Defense & Interior Ministers #Egypt

Also the tweet says the helicopter was carrying two ministers, they had already gotten out so they haven't been killed by the attack. They returned home in another chopper (a Mi-17 this time).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/meganconnelly48/status/944291908515491840

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Barzani owned media is calling protesters terrorists, so yeah everything's going great in Iraqi Kurdistan. Turns out people are a lot less forgiving of you being a lovely dictator when you throw away their future with a stupid stunt, though admittedly the people went along with his bullshit since they overwhelmingly supported the referendum.

Meanwhile, Human Rights Watch says hundreds of prisoners held in Kirkuk while the Kurds administered it seem to have been disappeared.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/12/21/kurdistan-region-iraq-350-prisoners-disappeared

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I suppose it's not at all surprising that iraqi kurdistan is struggling to pay wages and all that follows after they've lost their biggest source of income in Kirkuk

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Surrounded on all sides by people who don't give a gently caress, along with no access to the sea. If the Kurdistan experiment ever truly gets off the ground, it could easily go the way of Bolivia a hundred years ago.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
So on a scale one 1 to Anfal, how hosed are the Kurds?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
MBS working on his next purchase.

https://twitter.com/ShibleyTelhami/status/944365142103527426

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CherryCola posted:

So on a scale one 1 to Anfal, how hosed are the Kurds?

The economic situation is exceptionally poor. The KRG would have been in a position of enormous economic difficulty even if it still had all the oil in Kirkuk.

http://www.aei.org/publication/is-the-kurdish-spring-here/

quote:

Actions have consequences. In the wake of the disputed referendum, Iraqi forces moved back into disputed areas. Before the Kirkuk crisis, the KRG was producing an average of 630,000 barrels per day (bpd) of oil, and exporting 550,000 bpd through Turkey. After the Kirkuk crisis, that amount has been halved. A back-of-the-napkin calculation of export at $45/barrel suggests the KRG now receives $375 million monthly from oil exports. But, because of KRG prepayment and financing deals, many claimants can deduct from that. Glencore, for example, reportedly has a contract with the KRG that allows it to collect on average 100,000 bpd from Kurdish oil exported through the Turkish port of Ceyhan in exchange for advances totaling $800 million.

Other buyers have paid the KRG anything between $3 billion and $7 billion in total; KRG opacity precludes an exact figure. The Russian firm Rosneft, for example, has provided the KRG with a cash advance said to be between $1.3 and $2.7 billion. Litasco, another Russian company, has taken a pre-payment deal worth $800 million. The KRG reportedly owes Vitol just short of $1 billion. Add the Swiss oil trader Trafigura into the mix and the KRG owes another $500 million. Throw in $2 billion or so to Turkey for cash advances, another $1.4 billion in transit fees to Turkey, and an interest rate of no less than 15% on the cash advance and the situation is clear. Simply put, there may not be enough KRG oil to pay off its obligations. The KRG has no income stream since October when Kirkuk oil exports stopped. In short, the KRG needs around $700 million just to pay salaries each month. At present, the KRG is burning through its reserves which analysts place at no more than $2 billion.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
One of the guys detained at the Ritz Carlton allegedly died under torture.

https://twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/944497839136178176

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Ritz Carlton Hotel company is probably delighted their brand is now named in the news as a place rich people died of torture. Is mbs an investor in Hilton Hotels?

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 23, 2017

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Toplowtech posted:

The Ritz Carlton Hotel company is probably delighted their brand is now named in the news as a place rich people died of torture. Is mbs an investor in Hilton Hotels?

I was thinking this exact same thing. Like if this doesn't scare off foreign companies from Saudi Arabia then I don't know what will.

Edit: by the way doesn't Saudi Arabia have tons of secret prisons they do all their torturing and executing in? Why did they take these guys to a swanky hotel?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Major internationals have proven very indulgent of 'domestic squabbles' so long as there's money in it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Charliegrs posted:

I was thinking this exact same thing. Like if this doesn't scare off foreign companies from Saudi Arabia then I don't know what will.

Edit: by the way doesn't Saudi Arabia have tons of secret prisons they do all their torturing and executing in? Why did they take these guys to a swanky hotel?

I don't have much to base this on but my current theory is that it was to spread the idea that these guys were being treated to 5 star accommodations, and that their "imprisonment" would be considered a vacation by most. Make that the dominant belief when the news of the arrests broke, and then if the details came out later, a lot fewer people would be paying attention. This story about deaths under torture could be false, and maybe they are living the good life, but that doesn't jive with what I think about MBS thus far. And it's certainly not the best tactic to try and extract things from detainees.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 23, 2017

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Volkerball posted:

it's certainly not the best tactic to try and extract things from detainees.

I think that it's becoming abundantly clear that the Saudis aren't really good at much besides bribery, police state tactics, and Wahabi export.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Volkerball posted:

I don't have much to base this on but my current theory is that it was to spread the idea that these guys were being treated to 5 star accommodations, and that their "imprisonment" would be considered a vacation by most. Make that the dominant belief when the news of the arrests broke, and then if the details came out later, a lot fewer people would be paying attention. This story about deaths under torture could be false, and maybe they are living the good life, but that doesn't jive with what I think about MBS thus far. And it's certainly not the best tactic to try and extract things from detainees.

I don't know how much this kind of culture holds in Saudi...but in Europe in the old days of absolute monarchies, it was not acceptable to imprison anyone with noble or especially royal blood in squalid conditions. Perhaps he's following something of that taboo, but for those with House of Saud blood?

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

When you go all out on your rich opponents, you announce that their wealth and status couldn't protect them, which is the single biggest fear of all rich people. Putting them up in hotels gives a fig leaf that you still respect the authority of money and keeps your rich allies from becoming uncomfortable.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

You can't torture a prince in any old building, it would be unseemly. You must torture them somewhere sufficiently posh and appropriate to their station.

TheBalor posted:

I don't know how much this kind of culture holds in Saudi...but in Europe in the old days of absolute monarchies, it was not acceptable to imprison anyone with noble or especially royal blood in squalid conditions. Perhaps he's following something of that taboo, but for those with House of Saud blood?

Pretty much this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
New purge happening in Turkey:

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/944795408160698368