Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I saw someone saying the porgs were actually puffins that they digitally costumed rather than doing anything to interfere with them on set.

Which is cool, but the context I saw it in was patting then on the back for being so considerate to the animals as if it weren't %100 profit driven. They could have just as easily deleted them, instead they created something they could profit off of and sell tons of merchandise of.

Which is perfectly fine, it's fun to have a beat little set of characters based off a real thing, just don't pretend it's altruistic. It's a really awesome way to repurpose something they couldn't do anything about.

There's no shot where this makes sense. They aren't profligate in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Huh, I just looked it up and apparently Rian is on record saying exactly that. I guess I was wrong!

Porg/puffin supremacy!

EDIT: Which isn't to say that all the porgs are replaced puffins, just some of them.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

business hammocks posted:

Legit can't tell if you're mentioning something that happened in a novel or a comic book or doing a joke.

I quoted some excerpts earlier in the thread, it's fantastic.

Tender Bender posted:

At that very moment a large Imperial spaceship was orbiting the planet Tatooine. It was the Moffship, the official space vehicle of the Imperial grand moffs-the Imperial governors of the outer regions of space.
The grand moffs were holding a secret conference-a Mofference.

Tender Bender posted:

Leia was overcome with surprise as a woman stepped out from behind a metal barrier. The woman was a lifelike duplicate of Leia-an almost-identical-looking twin! 
"I know we all like to feel unique," the other Leia said, "but life can be full of surprises." 
"Who is that lady?" Ken asked, blinking in disbelief as he glanced from one Leia to the other. 
"I’m the newest member of SPIN, stationed here at DRAPAC," the second Leia said. 
"She’s what we call a Human Replica Droid," Fandar explained. 
"You’re a droid?" Ken gasped. 
"This is really creepy," Han said. 
"It’s fantastic!" Luke exclaimed. "Leia, she looks just like you. She even talks like you. Her smile is the same as yours, and so are her gestures." .

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, luke wanted to gently caress the Leia-bot

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

teagone posted:

I'm going to watch The Last Jedi again later today. I don't think I'll ever get tired of the throne room brawl. Love the bit when the camera focuses in on Rey grabbing her lightsaber with the force after Snoke is cut in half, and then she and Ben exchange looks before taking on the guards. So good.
I had a lot of problems with the film but this was the best scene

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I had a lot of problems with the film but this was the best scene

Yup, agreed. It definitely is my personal favorite bit from the film; tops even Luke's ascension into a legend of mythic proportions for me. The entire sequence is just so cinematically perfect entertainment. The drama, the suspense leading up to Snoke's betrayal, the adrenaline rush when, for a moment, you see the good in Ben just as Rey does — the music owns here too, and definitely helps sell you on this notion of "what if Ben is a good guy now" and "holy poo poo this is happening" perfectly. You can really just feel the weight of what had just happened and what it means to both Ben and Rey at that moment before they join forces. Love it. Then the bit just blows the door open to cinematic badassery when Rey and Ben go back to back. Not to mention the action and choreography during the brawl is the best in the entire saga so far imo. So good.

About to go see it again in a bit :neckbeard:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

so is rian a gundam fan because rey and kylo interacting across vast distances and achieving a kind of understanding in each other that they'd never be able to do if they were just physically in the same space gave me hella newtype vibes, even for force stuff

and i love me some newtype bullshit

e: oh duh there's also some emphasis on like, how the past generation and the new generation deal with each other; although TLJ's 'it's okay to fail' and 'we're there to be eventually surpassed by them' is a lot more forgiving than the early tomino view of the near inevitability of older generations exploiting the young and perverting their near-infinite potential to be more than the past

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 23, 2017

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
So who the hell is the villain now? Can't be Hux, dude is a punching bag/caricature. Phasma, even if brought back, has no real massive, foreboding presence. Kylo might be the obvious answer, yet he is the one who explicitly stated that he wants to end this cycle of violence, the forever war between Empire/First Order and Rebellion/Resistance, to stop making the war profiteers of Canto Bight wealthy, and to bring the galaxy to peace. He only turns and seeks extinction after Rey rebuffs him, vowing to continue the war to the last person if need be. It seems odd to vilify the guy who, at his ascendancy of the First Order, was willing to give it up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Watched TLJ again. Still rules. Much less jokey than I remembered.

To address a couple nitpicks I've seen:

I don't think there's as much timeline fuckery with Rey's story as everyone says. The "18 hours of fuel" isn't said until Finn and Rose are on their way to Canto Bight, which is well into the fleet chase. I think they may have fudged like a half-day to a day if Luke's planet is on a 24-hour day.

Also Rey doesn't really disappear for that long. Between the throne room and her showing up in the Millenium Falcon in the gunner's seat is awhile, but I bet it's about as long as Han disappears in "Star Wars".

Anyway, movie looks great, has a lot of really awesome action. Might have been better if they'd left out the salt planet at the end, but the salt planet does have some good poo poo.

I feel dumb for not picking this up in the first viewing, but Rose saving Finn is obviously what she wished she could have done with her sister. Finn attempts to do exactly what her sister did.

The last movie ends with her on Luke’s planet. We don’t really know how long she’s been there relative to any events she’s not there for in this movie. The timelines would only have to match if she’s in scenes with other characters. It’s not like Empire Strikes Back where you know the two stories have to take place along a similar timeline. Also movies sacrifice time to compress poo poo for narrative all the time. Does anybody ever go to bed in Star Wars?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ManifunkDestiny posted:

So who the hell is the villain now? Can't be Hux, dude is a punching bag/caricature. Phasma, even if brought back, has no real massive, foreboding presence. Kylo might be the obvious answer, yet he is the one who explicitly stated that he wants to end this cycle of violence, the forever war between Empire/First Order and Rebellion/Resistance, to stop making the war profiteers of Canto Bight wealthy, and to bring the galaxy to peace. He only turns and seeks extinction after Rey rebuffs him, vowing to continue the war to the last person if need be. It seems odd to vilify the guy who, at his ascendancy of the First Order, was willing to give it up.

It's still Kylo. He just wanted the power for himself, and did not want to have to answer to Snoke. It's basically what would have happened if Vader had succeeded in his original plan to usurp the Emperor (granted, with Luke's help) and take over the Empire. He claims he wants to destroy everything, but as far as I can tell that's a lie. He immediately takes over the First Order once Hux finds him.

I really hope to God they don't bring Phasma back again. Her appearance in this film was a joke. At least in TFA she had a story purpose at the beginning.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really hope to God they don't bring Phasma back again. Her appearance in this film was a joke. At least in TFA she had a story purpose at the beginning.

What's wrong with jokes?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Does anybody ever go to bed in Star Wars?

Yes, Rey sleeps on the bench outside Luke's hut.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

PostNouveau posted:

Yes, Rey sleeps on the bench outside Luke's hut.

Padme’s seen in bed a few times, and Anakin has nightmares at night. Twice!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Plagueis went to sleep!

It...didn't end well.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Threepio voluntarily asks to be shut down for a while in ANH, that's sleep for droids innit?

Jyn Erso tries to sleep in her prison cell in Rogue One but the alien she shares her cell with snores too loud.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't even know why you ask when we've already got the definitive source

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sleep/Legends

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Can't find the video anymore, but apparently Mark Hamill really did say #notmyluke in an interview.

quote:

“Luke would never say that, I’m talking about the George Lucas Star Wars. This is the next generation of Star Wars. I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he’s Jake Skywalker, he’s not my Luke Skywalker.”

PostNouveau posted:

I don't even know why you ask when we've already got the definitive source

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sleep/Legends
Just laughing at the list of media where sleep is portrayed or mentioned.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

An actor saying that the character they portrayed isn't how they had previously been imagining them is, of course, a rather different sentiment than fans trying to assert ownership of the character.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's interesting that Hamill liked the prequels and even as Luke Skywalker god of nerds has to pre-apologize in interviews for liking them, that's how toxic those movies have somehow become.

Movies that at the time reviewed decently and were mostly well received!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hahaha, AMC had to put this notice up because of Holdo's last scene.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's interesting that Hamill liked the prequels and even as Luke Skywalker god of nerds has to pre-apologize in interviews for liking them, that's how toxic those movies have somehow become.

Movies that at the time reviewed decently and were mostly well received!

I worked on my high-school newspaper, and the girl assigned to do the Episode I review the month it came out definitely wrote that it was plotted badly and boring to sit through, and that Samuel L Jackson was wasted in a role where he didn’t curse or do any violence. The journalism teacher told her to make it more positive before she would run it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I worked on my high-school newspaper, and the girl assigned to do the Episode I review the month it came out definitely wrote that it was plotted badly and boring to sit through, and that Samuel L Jackson was wasted in a role where he didn’t curse or do any violence. The journalism teacher told her to make it more positive before she would run it.

now that's some effective journalism teaching

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's still Kylo. He just wanted the power for himself, and did not want to have to answer to Snoke. It's basically what would have happened if Vader had succeeded in his original plan to usurp the Emperor (granted, with Luke's help) and take over the Empire. He claims he wants to destroy everything, but as far as I can tell that's a lie. He immediately takes over the First Order once Hux finds him.

The Emperor also claimed to want peace and look how that turned out.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The MSJ posted:

unreal

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The MSJ posted:

People are dumn lmao. What else is new?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

so is rian a gundam fan because rey and kylo interacting across vast distances and achieving a kind of understanding in each other that they'd never be able to do if they were just physically in the same space gave me hella newtype vibes, even for force stuff

and i love me some newtype bullshit

e: oh duh there's also some emphasis on like, how the past generation and the new generation deal with each other; although TLJ's 'it's okay to fail' and 'we're there to be eventually surpassed by them' is a lot more forgiving than the early tomino view of the near inevitability of older generations exploiting the young and perverting their near-infinite potential to be more than the past
Some people have been wondering if he's seen Zeta Gundam.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ah gently caress, i overlooked the most obvious anime identifier: wild colored hair

we did it folks, we figured out why some people are hating tlj: they haven't embraced anime into their hearts yet

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Brother Entropy posted:

ah gently caress, i overlooked the most obvious anime identifier: wild colored hair

we did it folks, we figured out why some people are hating tlj: they haven't embraced anime into their hearts yet

anime also has a lot of dark holes of temptation

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

now that's some effective journalism teaching

That girl is now on the tenure track at a well-regarded public university, and my high school was later closed down and bulldozed due to all the young people in our home town moving away and nobody new moving in. Draw your own conclusions.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
On a second viewing, Snoke being a bit underdeveloped really does feel more like a TFA problem than one with this movie. There they made him seem mysterious and unexplained, possibly as a fear of overexposition. (One of the more valid lines of criticism of the prequels is that they do take their time a bit more and have more exposition and scenes of spaceships landing and things that give them a slower pace.) If the opening crawl or a couple of extra scenes could have just said "He's a charismatic cult leader who has some force powers and enough money to buy a bunch of spaceships" then it would be more obvious that he's not the most important antagonist in the story.

As it is you have the hologram making him look gigantic and kinda shadowy and there's a sense that there is some mystery here, but TLJ makes it clear that he's a paper tiger- oddly an inversion of The Phantom Menace, where it's the killer badass Sith who's the illusion and the reality is the old politician behind the scenes.

Also generally I feel more solidly that it's a movie that works really well, the main problem is the final act is as drawn out as it is, which is a thing in modern blockbusters.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Serf posted:

My dad got me into Star Wars and I read a lot of comics and novels about the universe in the 90s and I remember mentioning how cool Boba Fett was to him once and he was like "really? why?" and it made me realize that all the cool stuff about Boba Fett is in the comics and novels. In the movies he just looks cool and has a neat voice, is bad at his job and dies in a hilarious mishap.

He sounds like any other kiwi to me

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

On a second viewing, Snoke being a bit underdeveloped really does feel more like a TFA problem than one with this movie. There they made him seem mysterious and unexplained, possibly as a fear of overexposition. (One of the more valid lines of criticism of the prequels is that they do take their time a bit more and have more exposition and scenes of spaceships landing and things that give them a slower pace.) If the opening crawl or a couple of extra scenes could have just said "He's a charismatic cult leader who has some force powers and enough money to buy a bunch of spaceships" then it would be more obvious that he's not the most important antagonist in the story.

As it is you have the hologram making him look gigantic and kinda shadowy and there's a sense that there is some mystery here, but TLJ makes it clear that he's a paper tiger- oddly an inversion of The Phantom Menace, where it's the killer badass Sith who's the illusion and the reality is the old politician behind the scenes.

Also generally I feel more solidly that it's a movie that works really well, the main problem is the final act is as drawn out as it is, which is a thing in modern blockbusters.

I do agree with what you're saying, but I also feel like there isn't anything wrong with a movie flipping expectations. Some people seem to take it as a personal affront, describing the movie as "mean" or flipping them off for being wrong. That reaction is kind of weird and telling.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

lord save me from stories that give me everything i want + expect and not a drat thing more

one of the best things a storyteller can do is give me what i didn't even know i wanted

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The popular hate that the Prequels generated helped shape the current state of Star Wars post Disney buy out.

So maybe people who watch Star Wars are conditioned to believe that if they're loud enough and angry enough about a Star War thing, they can change the future of the franchise?

It kinda helped gently caress with EA over Battlefront 2 and that bullshit. I suppose it's only natural for the upset masses who felt the subversion of expectations in TLJ were an attack on their core franchise beliefs is cause enough to try and gently caress over Disney/LucasFilm.

Spread bad word of mouth, start boycotts, petitions, rant and rave on YouTube etc etc.

I just hope it doesn't work and that Rian Johnson doesn't get shitcanned because of it. Also, gently caress those guys.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 23, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

One thing that struck me as odd: Why are Finn and Rose flying speeders in the end battle? They aren't pilots. They're janitor-warriors..

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

One thing that struck me as odd: Why are Finn and Rose flying speeders in the end battle? They aren't pilots. They're janitor-warriors..

The Resistance is down to so few people that they can all fit in the Millenium Falcon at the end

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

i imagine there were more speeders than still living pilots left and they weren't really in a position to be picky

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the last jedi isnt subversive. its about how we just have to deal with star wars being around forever and how thats a fact of life no matter how we feel about it, so might as well make the best of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

its less subversive and more tricky, in how it fools people into thinking its very conservative heart is somehow radical