Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

RIP The Widowmakers, may they ride into Valhalla with shiny faces.

The B-Zephyrs select 1934 Josh Gibson. My man tadashi is on the clock for trading or picking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

RIP to the Bombers/Widows. A truly great team.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am always a sucker for a princess bride reference

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

HulkaMatt posted:

RIP to the Bombers/Widows. A truly great team.

Indeed, the end of an era. A clusterfuck of an era, but an era nonetheless.

So, I suppose it's time to start a new clusterfuck of an era, with a new team!

The South Philly Exclusives are open for trading now.

I'm going to claim the following feeder teams:

1881 Grays (3)
1942 Giants (2)
1976 Twins (1)
1934 Red Sox (1)
1967 AL All-Stars (4)

And take '06 Ed Walsh, '15 Ed Walsh, and '51 Yogi Berra with me from the Widowmakers. There's a preliminary roster here.

In terms of trades, I need a couple shortstops, probably a centerfielder, and a good chunk of relievers; I'm going to place an emphasis on home run power out of hitters and strikeouts out of the relievers. I will contact some people that I'm interested in trading with probably after the Christmas holiday.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I love The Princess Bride.

Thank you for another fun season, smasher. I know how taxing this is, but it also absolutely brings me a great deal of joy.

And thanks everyone else. In a world of poo poo, I really love this league.

And now back to trying to kill all of you. Especially you, Shepard.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

rabidsquid posted:

i am always a sucker for a princess bride reference

*ambi dextro gives up seven home runs in a start*

"i know something you do not know. i am not left handed"

*ambi dextro gives up five home runs in the next start*

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Oh yeah, I wanted to thank you too Smasher, your writing is superb as usual and this continues to be an absolute joy to be involved in. I know it can be incredibly stressful but your work is very appreciated.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

FairGame posted:

And now back to trying to kill all of you. Especially you, Shepard.

Just remember , in non xcom it is
much harder to get me near a forklift !

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A trade!

Generics send:
1949 Roy Campanella
1996 Ken Griffey Jr.

for,
1967 Mickey Mantle
1967 Bill Freehan

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

kw0134 posted:

A trade!

Generics send:
1949 Roy Campanella
1996 Ken Griffey Jr.

for,
1967 Mickey Mantle
1967 Bill Freehan

Approved!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Can't believe I missed out on doing almost this exact trade with you

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

kw0134 posted:

A trade!

Generics send:
1949 Roy Campanella
1996 Ken Griffey Jr.

for,
1967 Mickey Mantle
1967 Bill Freehan

Mantle was still playing baseball in 67? His poor poor knee.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Thank you for the season, Smasher!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Chicago Cubs take 1934 Satchel Paige with pick #2.

Grinnblade is up.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Another :siren: TRADE! :siren:

The Towa City Demon Hunters send:

2001 Alex Rodriguez

to the South Philly Exclusives for:

1881 Bobby Mathews

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

mentholmoose posted:

Another :siren: TRADE! :siren:

The Towa City Demon Hunters send:

2001 Alex Rodriguez

to the South Philly Exclusives for:

1881 Bobby Mathews

Accepted.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Jesus that's quite the price drop from kimbrel

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

FairGame posted:

Jesus that's quite the price drop from kimbrel

It's also quite the price drop from Jack Powell and Joe Morgan. Never underestimate the power of wanting a specific kind of player!

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
alright guys

At this point I got the strangest sense of deja vu...

Grinnblade posted:

<mentholmoose> don't do it
<mentholmoose> take teddy

<mentholmoose> take teddy

<Monicro> Yeah But Ted Williams
<Monicro> (tm)
<mentholmoose> he's ted goddamn williams, pick him

<mentholmoose> grinnblade pick the teddy

ALRIGHT ALREADY

:magical:

mrnoun offers
Pete Alexander
Walter Johnson
Tom Seaver
Manny Ramirez
Johnny Bench
Lee Smith

Idaho offers
1st, 2nd, and 4th Round Dispersal Draft picks

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Grinnblade posted:

mrnoun offers
Pete Alexander
Walter Johnson
Tom Seaver
Manny Ramirez
Johnny Bench
Lee Smith

Idaho offers
1st, 2nd, and 4th Round Dispersal Draft picks

That's...
1922 Pete
1916 Johnson
1976 Seaver
1999 Manny
1974 Bench
and 1983 Smith.

With the 3rd pick, The Luna Landers select 1947 Ted Williams. That puts Venice and frankenfreak on the clock, except there's no clock, so, uh, just do whatever.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I watched this trade go down live in the discord and I still didn't believe it was happening. :suspense:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
First three players taken were Pippoes! I've never felt more validated in the Super League.

Another great season, Smasher. Always love the writing, especially when it gets self-deprecating. Like the more you say you hate it, the more I like it.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I got someone in mind one of the Pedros, but if someone wants to make another outrageous pick, I'm listening. What I'm looking for most is:
- starting pitchers with high K/9 (and not too shabby ERA etc. of course)
- a lefty 1B and/or RF
- a right-handed 3B who's better than my Bob Elliott
- relievers, just like everyone else

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hot take that's a really bad trade for Grinnblade, fight me.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Faustoan Bargain posted:

I'm either saving my franchise or blowing a hard-earned-by-way-of-being-awful pick.

Zephyrs get
#1 pick

Kestrels get
1906 Mordecai Brown
1895 Cy Young
1999 Mike Piazza
1912 Joe Jackson
2013 Aroldis Chapman

mrnoun posted:

That's...
1922 Pete
1916 Johnson
1976 Seaver
1999 Manny
1974 Bench
and 1983 Smith.

With the 3rd pick, The Luna Landers select 1947 Ted Williams. That puts Venice and frankenfreak on the clock, except there's no clock, so, uh, just do whatever.

:thunk:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hot take that's a really bad trade for Grinnblade, fight me.

Nah. That's pretty good value for the picks. Ole Pete works well, it's a prime Johnson (who's still alright, if not an SP1), Seaver can pull out good seasons, Manny's a good age, Bench can hold C down okay...Smith's a bit young but not awfully so.

If he got a better deal, it'd be because someone was desperate and silly. I wouldn't wait around for that kind of moment to happen, and instead take 3/5 of a rotation and other goodies.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pander posted:

Nah. That's pretty good value for the picks. Ole Pete works well, it's a prime Johnson (who's still alright, if not an SP1), Seaver can pull out good seasons, Manny's a good age, Bench can hold C down okay...Smith's a bit young but not awfully so.

If he got a better deal, it'd be because someone was desperate and silly. I wouldn't wait around for that kind of moment to happen, and instead take 3/5 of a rotation and other goodies.

It's 3/5 of a rotation for 3 picks.

It's not a terrible deal, since all 3 pitchers are probably 3rd round talent or higher, but I see where mks is coming from.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

FairGame posted:

It's 3/5 of a rotation for 3 picks.

It's not a terrible deal, since all 3 pitchers are probably 3rd round talent or higher, but I see where mks is coming from.

Here are grinnblade's choices

1) Take deal in hand from mrnoun that's pretty good value
2) try to find another deal (???)
3) use picks to take players

When a team has a few big holes and needs pitching badly, turning 3 picks into 4 quality arms, a quality bat, and a quality glove at a defense-first position? I just don't see how that's bad. If you can't bring another deal forward, then you're just talking out your rear end assuming you can somehow finagle a better deal than he did. I just don't put stock in revisionist trading like that. If it's a bad deal that's one thing, but even if you don't *like* the trade it's hard to say it's worse than fair value.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I wasn't there when the trade was being discussed, but I find it hard to believe that he could not have gotten Johnson/Manny/Bench/Lee for the first rounder alone. Its the 2nd and 4th rounders that make this trade bad, not the ted williams part.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Wait, you'd be okay with that trade, but would find Pete plus seaver isn't worth a 2nd and 4th rounders?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I do think you can argue that grinnblade could have gotten more than pete/seaver for the 2nd/4th rounders if he'd traded them separately. However, given the way mrnoun trades, I'm not sure that spiting up the deal that way would have been possible.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pander posted:

Wait, you'd be okay with that trade, but would find Pete plus seaver isn't worth a 2nd and 4th rounders?

That Pete is old, and averages like 173 innings a year with a whip of about 1.3, he's not an ace. His 2nd rounder is the de-facto 14th pick, and Seaver has had 5 seasons above an ERA+100 since SL 20. 5/16. He's the equivalent of a super league innings eater, which is like fine.

That 14th pick could be a Barry Bonds or an Albert Pujols, that's an extremely good pick in this draft.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I wasn't there when the trade was being discussed, but I find it hard to believe that he could not have gotten Johnson/Manny/Bench/Lee for the first rounder alone. Its the 2nd and 4th rounders that make this trade bad, not the ted williams part.

For reference, I would not have done that deal.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pander posted:

Here are grinnblade's choices

1) Take deal in hand from mrnoun that's pretty good value
2) try to find another deal (???)
3) use picks to take players

When a team has a few big holes and needs pitching badly, turning 3 picks into 4 quality arms, a quality bat, and a quality glove at a defense-first position? I just don't see how that's bad. If you can't bring another deal forward, then you're just talking out your rear end assuming you can somehow finagle a better deal than he did. I just don't put stock in revisionist trading like that. If it's a bad deal that's one thing, but even if you don't *like* the trade it's hard to say it's worse than fair value.

This is exactly why I think mks is being stupid about the trade. The situation that lead to it was mrnoun one-upping an offer Grinn refused to take for his first rounder by Shepard. It was a good deal for the value, and there was a pretty implicit mood of 'you can take it or you can leave it'. mrnoun gives up most of his usable depth and 2/5ths of his starting rotation for a bid.

No one was going to come in offering a better deal than what mrnoun had to offer, and the idea of grinn trying to get 'more' out of this deal as the situation unfolded would have just led to the deal blowing up in his face, and him having to force option 3. It's not a bad deal for the value, and helps grinnblade's team way more in the long run than the draft picks probably would have.

If you think grinnblade's getting 'ripped off', or however you wanna phrase it, in this deal, you can always try and offer better deals. If you don't, then I don't see why you think you're entitled to bitch about that trade.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I don't think anyone is bitching. People are gonna evaluate trades. It happens in MLB. It happens here. It's not anything personal I'm sure. People have different opinions of the values of various players--which is why the draft board doesn't go in order by position ranking each year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You are extremely upset about me thinking this is a bad trade for Grinnblade and it confuses me a lot

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i like trades

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Craig K posted:

i like trades

Trade me Billy Wagner

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

I AM INTERNET MAD THAT SOMEONE DISAGREES WITH MY OPINION ON A TRADE FIGHT ME BITCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
all trades are bad

except trades where people give me something I want for a reasonable price I can afford, which do not actually exist

therefore all trades are bad