Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I'm 6'1 200lbs and have a tiny bit of extra fat in the lower stomach area, just enough to obscure those lines. I would like to be shredded, but I feel like I would look better if I slowly bulked up some more as clean as possible before doing a cut. I've always been on the thinner side, but whenever I let myself go I'd gain a little more fat around the stomach, and only there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
All I know is before I ever started lifting, 155-160 was fairly skinny, 175 was average, maybe a tiny bit of stomach fat, and for a while I hit 185 and actually had a bit of a chubby face and stomach. But I had basically no muscle then. I'm sure I've definitely put some on since I've been lifting, so perhaps 180 is my new "skinny" weight. Either way, I'll just cut for a little longer and then do a slow bulk. I'm still figuring out how to cook worth a drat anyway.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

EoRaptor posted:

I'm 6'3" and 190lbs and I'm carrying around a significant spare tire. Some people bodies just do things differently. At this weight my body doesn't put fat anywhere else, though, so even though I don't have huge legs, they are clearly defined, and the muscles that attach lats to ribs are easily visible, as is the top half of the top pair of abs. If I gained more weight, my body would put a bit more around my waist, then start on laying it down on my butt and under my chin.

Everybody is going to have distinct patterns to the way they carry fat around, just like everybody has distinct patterns to how they grow muscle.

https://giant.gfycat.com/EqualMeagerIcefish.mp4

i love watching really muscled out dudes struggle with not that much weight

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Is that 225? I can't tell

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Why do people try to rack the weight when they can't get it up? If you can't press it up, it's not going to make it in the hooks. Keep it away from your drat face/neck. up to 200 something lbs isn't going to kill you if you set it down on your stomach.
A few reasons. The bar path of a bench press isn't a straight line. Once he touches he starts to press but hits the sticking point, he gives it a little leg drive to kick the bar toward his shoulders which would allow him to flare his elbows to increase his chest's assistance to the lift. But he over shot it and instead of grinding out the rep over his shoulders he threw it at his face.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I dunno, I've gotten to where I use a lot of leg drive, and I definitely bench in an arc rather than a straight line and I've never been struggling and accidentally sent the weight hurtling toward my face. Who knows though, at least he had the clips off. I was referring to more general instances though, I've seen a lot of videos where people will grind, the bar will just stay stopped, in the same spot, then they start pushing it backward toward their face without the little kick this guy had.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I don't know about what I should go for next year. I'm 5'8", and last year I started at 170, bulked to 185, then cut to 165, and now I weigh around 175, working out 4 to 6 days a week, and I feel like I don't have much to show for it. I had a bit of love handles even at my lowest.

I think I'd need to go down to 155 even 150 or something to get shredded, but that means I have practically no muscle mass in me which is discouraging

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

UnfurledSails posted:

I don't know about what I should go for next year. I'm 5'8", and last year I started at 170, bulked to 185, then cut to 165, and now I weigh around 175, working out 4 to 6 days a week, and I feel like I don't have much to show for it. I had a bit of love handles even at my lowest.

I think I'd need to go down to 155 even 150 or something to get shredded, but that means I have practically no muscle mass in me which is discouraging

Sounds like the skinny-fat trap. If you cut to be shredded, you'll feel skinny. If you bulk, you'll feel fat. Unfortunately, you'll just have to pick one and stick with it for now. If physique re-composition is your goal (hey-o body dysmorphia) any other approach is just going to lead to wheel spinning, in my experience.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Constipated posted:

Is that 225? I can't tell

looks like 225

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Anti-Hero posted:

Sounds like the skinny-fat trap. If you cut to be shredded, you'll feel skinny. If you bulk, you'll feel fat. Unfortunately, you'll just have to pick one and stick with it for now. If physique re-composition is your goal (hey-o body dysmorphia) any other approach is just going to lead to wheel spinning, in my experience.

Yup this is it exactly. As someone said earlier, the spare tire is real. If I'm 20% BF (should be less though), that just leaves 150 or so of muscle and stuff, which is near what I started with lifting in the first place. Bodies are weird, man.

Also goddamn, that failed bench. I've definitely failed a bench, but Holy poo poo dropping it on your face :stare:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I’ve gone up from 147lb on a bulk to 158lb, and while I don’t think that’s too big at 5’9” I’m worried I’ve put on more fat that I want, so NYR is to cut back down to 147lb, see what I look like and maybe start bulking up again.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

finally joined garage gym crew

now I can go full speed toward my goal of becoming the world's most powerful hermit

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

UnfurledSails posted:

I'm 165 and in a tight vest with a pump I look good. Got a couple of juicy delt veins that pop up, and in the right light you can see all sorts of ab definition (a tan would really help I'm horribly pale atm). I fill out my jeans in ways that make me a little uncomfortable and friends and strangers alike seem to think I'm in good shape or even athletic (lol).

150 is not "practically no muscle", my friend. The "real men weigh >200lbs" crew are always big fat powerlifters who look awful and are insecure about it. 165 is overweight at 5'8, if you're pretty lean above that weight you're doing something right.

Merry Christmas.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I have squat problems. My rock climbing harness is really hard to get over my quads but too loose on my waist :(

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

lol at the idiots who come to the gym two days before Christmas and I get the big red alert "HASN'T CHECKED IN IN 313 DAYS" you gonna stick around this time buddy lmao

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Chief McHeath posted:

lol at the idiots who come to the gym two days before Christmas and I get the big red alert "HASN'T CHECKED IN IN 313 DAYS" you gonna stick around this time buddy lmao

every day is someone's first day at something.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Chief McHeath posted:

When its easier to just pay the $300 dollars on an unused membership than it is to cancel it, fu la fitness

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

sassassin posted:

I'm 165 and in a tight vest with a pump I look good. Got a couple of juicy delt veins that pop up, and in the right light you can see all sorts of ab definition (a tan would really help I'm horribly pale atm). I fill out my jeans in ways that make me a little uncomfortable and friends and strangers alike seem to think I'm in good shape or even athletic (lol).

150 is not "practically no muscle", my friend. The "real men weigh >200lbs" crew are always big fat powerlifters who look awful and are insecure about it. 165 is overweight at 5'8, if you're pretty lean above that weight you're doing something right.

Merry Christmas.

The 100 kilos thing only applies if you are 6'4''+ so don't worry about it. Merry Christmas.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No it applies to everyone because we are all of identical height, width

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My lifes ambition is to have the physique of a choad cock, or maybe a tuna can

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I want a 600lbs deadlift and a 440lbs squat in 2018

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Any suggestions for shoulder tightness while squatting? I janked my shoulder a couple of years ago when I tried to rugby tackle a dude and braced my fall on my elbow, since then I've only really been able to squat by taking my arms all the way out to the end of the bar

I don't get pain doing anything else any more, it's specifically that plane of motion that seems to cause issues

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Have you tried gentle rotator cuff stretching? I like to use a broomstick for that. I'd explain it but it might be easier to just look it up.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Any suggestions for shoulder tightness while squatting? I janked my shoulder a couple of years ago when I tried to rugby tackle a dude and braced my fall on my elbow, since then I've only really been able to squat by taking my arms all the way out to the end of the bar

I don't get pain doing anything else any more, it's specifically that plane of motion that seems to cause issues

Shoulder dislocaters. You can use something stiff or a resistance band.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I was given some resistance band stuff to do by the doctor when I did it, but I pretty much got bored of them once I realised they weren't interacting with anything that actually hurt, and since the ultrasound came out OK, I was basically just told to go home and wait until it worked properly again

Will give the dislocates a try, cheers

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Kettlebell arm bars are great too, if you have the equipment.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

sassassin posted:

Merry Christmas.

This is what I look like at 175 lbs at 5'8":
https://ibb.co/mOzwem

I'm not obviously overweight, yeah, but it's not because I'm filled to the brim with muscle mass either. If anything I think I have some skinny rear end arms that I feel like I need to focus on, but I guess I'll go down to 150s and see what happens.

You'd think after learning about caloric balances and working out regularly for more than a couple years this poo poo is easy to figure out, but nope, it's still goddamn magic

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
It would be a merry christmas if my gym were not closed.... i have a weight and bench here but ill wake everybody up

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I'm not making new years lifting resolutions because two weeks into January I'm moving to a rural as gently caress area with no gym in biking or reasonable driving distance.

Ab wheel, 30kg dumbbell, pull up bar sadness workouts for me in 2018 AMA.

Actually no don't ask me, tell me what I should do. :qq:

Vlex fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 25, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vlex posted:

I'm not making new years lifting resolutions because two months into January I'm moving to a rural as gently caress area with no gym in biking or reasonable driving distance.

Ab wheel, 30kg dumbbell, pull up bar sadness workouts for me in 2018 AMA.

Actually no don't ask me, tell me what I should do. :qq:
Get used equipment if possible.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Build your own gym

The perfect gym. A palace, a temple for your body where you perfect yourself

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

step 1: stand on ab wheel handles
step 2: db press dumbbell
step 3: while holding db extended, leap from ab wheel and do a one hand pull up
step 4: release, land on ab wheel handles and repeat

when you can do a set of 20 your training is complete

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Hadn't seen my youngest brother in 6 months. He's managed to go from 6'2 twiglet to 200lb slab in that time. Fair play.

I still bench more than you though, kid. Don't get cocky.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Breakfast All Day posted:

step 1: stand on ab wheel handles
step 2: db press dumbbell
step 3: while holding db extended, leap from ab wheel and do a one hand pull up
step 4: release, land on ab wheel handles and repeat

when you can do a set of 20 your training is complete

step 0: set up camera and livestream

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Got a nice $50 Amazon gift card for Christmas that I'd like to spend on Bluetooth headphones for the gym.

Any recommendations for over the ear ones?

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 26, 2017

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
budz or over ear?

fwiw i have had a pair of these almost 2 years of ~4 days per week and they are still going strong:

https://www.amazon.com/AYL-Headphones-Cancelling-Sweatproof-Smartphones/dp/B014EGE9G6

battery is about 2.5 hours worth of music.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

sassassin posted:

Hadn't seen my youngest brother in 6 months. He's managed to go from 6'2 twiglet to 200lb slab in that time. Fair play.

I still bench more than you though, kid. Don't get cocky.

My brother has gotten this manly man attitude ever since he got out of the Marines. He's been lifting for at the very least, 4-5 years. He looks like he lifts even though he's got a bit of fat. IIRC I think he's like 205 at 5'11 or so. But the weird thing is, I don't think he's ever done any sort of program or put any mental effort into his working out even though it seems super important to him. Either way, for whatever weird reason I'm basically as strong as he is. He benches about 10-15 more lbs but I always catch him shorting out his ROM. I think I can straight up out OHP him. It doesn't really matter but it's the attitude that gets on my nerves sometimes. I'm sure if he'd stop trying to be macho he could put on a ton of strength since he obviously has a good bit of muscle.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Grump posted:

Got a nice $50 Amazon gift card for Christmas that I'd like to spend on Bluetooth headphones for the gym.

Any recommendations for over the ear ones?

I literally just got these and gave them a go for a few minutes before heading home, and I like them:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-He...less+headphones

I also got some actual factual powerlifting shoes, ready to join the flat sole supremacy :snoop:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Today I returned to the first gym I ever lifted in when I started my ~*~*~*fitness journey*~*~*~*~ like 8 years ago

I've done it, I'm finally GoodLife Huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Ah, forgot that my parents think protein powder makes your liver and kidneys explode. And they are both MD profs too lol