Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Teketeketeketeke posted:

That was pretty nakedly blowing the doors wide open for a sequel...

According to wookiepedia he was rumored to have faked his death and done stuff behind the scenes during the New Jedi Order series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
If you won the game on hard it's revealed he fakes his death to lie low.

The whole Shadows thing was pretty weird. It was hyped up to be akin to releasing a new movie and came with its own soundtrack and toy range.

This was repeated somewhat with The Force Unleashed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It came out early enough in the EU that releasing something set between two movies was considered a big thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WebDog posted:

The whole Shadows thing was pretty weird. It was hyped up to be akin to releasing a new movie and came with its own soundtrack and toy range.

It was absolutely a dry-run for Phantom Menace; basically all the marketing and tie-ins but without an actual movie.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Related content while shopping? Life Day done come early!

I'm so sick of all these space wars!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I'm so sick of all these space wars!

Did somebody say Space Wars?!?!

Also from my local China mall:

As nice as the cab is, the guy wanted the equivalent of $700 for it because "it has 2000 games". I've got MAME too, buddy, that's not how it works.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm an Englishman, I'm a legal Englishman, I'm an Alien-man in New York?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

So he's one of us is what you're saying?

Where did you guys get a gently caress robot?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

EorayMel posted:

Did it involve ghost peppers, by any chance?

Or perhaps, one of these peppers?

Holy gently caress, imagine having the balls required to put "Real Dr.", on your knockoff brand

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I'm partial to Dr A+ myself

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm not a real Dr. Pepper, but I play one on TV...

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
The funny thing is that pic only barely scratches the surface of how many drat Dr. Pepper knockoffs there are out there. Here's a couple of more obscure local ones that I've personally tried.

(Neither of these are my hand btw.)

Dr. Good Guy is awfully hard to find, and after trying it, I can see why. It basically tastes like a crappy knockoff of Dr. Thunder, and since Dr. Thunder is already a pretty mediocre knockoff to begin with, it's really not good at all. The only form I could personally find it in was a two-liter bottle, but after trying a glass of it, I just went and poured the rest down the sink.

Doc Holiday. My first, and so far only, encounter with this one was via the soda fountain at a local diner place (which has since gone out of business, sadly), and it's actually pretty good, mainly because, just like with its packaging, it doesn't try too hard to actually copy Dr. Pepper, instead going more for the general impression of being vaguely similar while doing more of its own thing, which is to say that it's a bit peppery, but has quite a bit of root beer and cherry cola flavor to it, which makes for an all-around surprising-but-nice impression.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Doctor Bishop posted:

Doc Holiday. My first, and so far only, encounter with this one was via the soda fountain at a local diner place (which has since gone out of business, sadly), and it's actually pretty good, mainly because, just like with its packaging, it doesn't try too hard to actually copy Dr. Pepper, instead going more for the general impression of being vaguely similar while doing more of its own thing, which is to say that it's a bit peppery, but has quite a bit of root beer and cherry cola flavor to it, which makes for an all-around surprising-but-nice impression.

Doc Holiday is made by a small Pepsico bottler in the southeastern AZ town where my parents grew up. I remember getting it as a kid when we would visit our grandmother, but it was impossible to find at our house in the Phoenix suburbs.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Radio Paranoia posted:

As nice as the cab is, the guy wanted the equivalent of $700 for it because "it has 2000 games". I've got MAME too, buddy, that's not how it works.

That's... actually a pretty fair price for a well-made MAME cabinet, especially if the computer has halfway decent specs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Doctor Bishop posted:

So it's knockoff Pibb, except as a knockoff Pibb, it fails to pass the "is terrible" test that would make it authentic.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Phlegmish posted:

Where did you guys get a gently caress robot?

I'm saying that if we COULD have gently caress robots we WOULD

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Isn’t that a negative of the actor in the suit? Because in that sense it makes the “because he dared to dream, and never stopped believing” kind of :3:

Also those “Space Wars” figures are Lego kits from the last year or so, I wonder how much they differ from the “real” ones.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

In case anyone was wondering, it's an art piece and not a mass produced product.

The 'Spyma' brand name is short for the artist's name, Spymagician Jones.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy poo poo I just remembered this one:

It's the US release of the Japanese film Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. They cut about half an hour from the film and re-edited it to make it a bland action-adventure film with new dialogue that had nothing to do with the original and they also dumped most of the environmentalism angle. You can imagine Miyazaki's reaction when he heard what they'd done.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's the US release of the Japanese film Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. They cut about half an hour from the film and re-edited it to make it a bland action-adventure film with new dialogue that had nothing to do with the original and they also dumped most of the environmentalism angle. You can imagine Miyazaki's reaction when he heard what they'd done.

Dunno if it's true or not but apparently for Princess Mononoke he mailed a katana with the message "no cuts" out to the localization office

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's like a poster for a Ralph Bakshi movie that never was.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

Dunno if it's true or not but apparently for Princess Mononoke he mailed a katana with the message "no cuts" out to the localization office

Yeah, sent it to Harvey Weinstein in regards to cutting the proper release of Princess Mononoke, I believe.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, sent it to Harvey Weinstein in regards to cutting the proper release of Princess Mononoke, I believe.

Which I believe was the first ghibli movie he let American distributors try to release since the mangling of Nausicaa above.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm saying that if we COULD have gently caress robots we WOULD

Stop getting my hopes up like that

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Dash Rendar's death is amazing. "whoops, flew into an asteroid, that's the end of me!"

Can we have a thread to talk about the stupidity of the Star Wars EU? Not that I hate this derail, quite the contrary, but there's not a whole lot of bootleg discussion amidst it.

There was this, which is a fun read but is goldmined now. You could probably start a new one because Goons love talking about anything Star Wars and there's a whole heap of dumb poo poo coming out of the new EU

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683428

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Choco1980 posted:

Which I believe was the first ghibli movie he let American distributors try to release since the mangling of Nausicaa above.

I think after that abomination, he had it put in all contracts after specifying no cuts.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

Nah, Disney edited Kiki a bunch before that.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Len posted:

He reportedly sent the katana directly to the head of the US distribution company, 'ol Chester the Molester himself, Harvey Weinstein.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

He reportedly sent the katana directly to the head of the US distribution company, 'ol Chester the Molester himself, Harvey Weinstein.

It's too bad one of his potential rape victims didn't end up pulling a Pulp Fiction on his rear end

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Also those “Space Wars” figures are Lego kits from the last year or so, I wonder how much they differ from the “real” ones.

Apparently, they don't usually have the right lego pieces necessary to build the models. That's anecdotal, though.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C64D-FXpSN4

Chicken from Kentucky? Nice.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

so for the office secret satan i asked for "star wars toy or whatever" because i couldn't think of anything. instead i was gifted with this thing descended from heaven

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s9sjPzyQjk

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Found this badge on a shirt

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

checks out

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Turns out, that's not a bootleg, and instead is intentional. It comes from Slightly Wrong Quotes, and it's an actual shirt you can buy.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Once you pop, That's Great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kheldarn posted:

Turns out, that's not a bootleg, and instead is intentional. It comes from Slightly Wrong Quotes, and it's an actual shirt you can buy.
that's a bummer