Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Fast & the Furious, most of 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think James Mangold's X-23 movie still has Dafnee Keen as the lead. I don't mind, though, as I love seeing her stabbing people and ripping out throats.

Netflix's upcoming Sabrina series seems to be attempting a look similar to The Chilling Adventures comic, judging from its concept art.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Obviously if you think Hollywood as a concept is inherently fatally flawed, this doesn't really mean anything, but a lot of folks don't see it that way and are really loving excited about this.

That's no lie, they are hyped.
https://www.essence.com/entertainment/what-wear-watch-black-panther-black-twitter-fashion

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nasgate posted:

When are we going to get a Latinx blockbuster? And what superhero would that be?

Captain America 4 after Steve dies in Infinity War and Falcon takes up the shield. :getin:

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Yeah tbh I was pretty surprised to see how much BP is being poo poo on and minimized here, when I've not seen or heard anything like that out in the wild. Then I remembered it's a thread in CD so :allears:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Advertorial placement (and they are placed, typically magazines don't just devote columns to mentioning upcoming film releases out of the blue) aside, I don't think anyone ever claimed that no one was interested or excited for this movie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Advertorial placement (and they are placed, typically magazines don't just devote columns to mentioning upcoming film releases out of the blue) aside, I don't think anyone ever claimed that no one was interested or excited for this movie.

My fiance works in advertising as an analyst atm and apparently if something mentions a product or service even broadly in a positive note someone probably paid for it. Even if it's just in passing.

Aladdin
Feb 16, 2011

I only ever really find the budget of a movie impressive if it's really low.

Yeah uh, that’s cool, but I was pointing out why the movie is more or less objectively unprecedented, not whether or not you find the budget impressive.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Aladdin posted:

Yeah uh, that’s cool, but I was pointing out why the movie is more or less objectively unprecedented, not whether or not you find the budget impressive.

Again: so what.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Speaking of, this owns
https://twitter.com/ava/status/944258928715513856

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Nasgate posted:

When are we going to get a Latinx blockbuster? And what superhero would that be?

Jaime Reyes would be a good choice if DC ever figures out how to make a popular movie.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Jaime Reyes would be a good choice if DC ever figures out how to make a popular movie.

To be a bit cynical, with the DACA tension and the hype of Black Panther, releasing a (well made)Blue Beetle movie would probably print money. Can't believe I forgot about him.

That's one thing Agents of Shield was pretty good for, for a couple seasons a lot of the cool characters were Latinx and their usage of Spanish with purposefully limited translation was really cool. Especially since multiple other characters started learning Spanish to better communicate with their new team members.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

They’re right. It does feel very good to be white.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Again, you're sort of missing the broader point.

Yeah, the movie's probably gonna be somewhat reactionary, just by the nature of BP as a character (setting aside the general political trend of Marvel's movies). It'll probably be Coogler's worst movie, though I doubt it'll be outright bad simply because I don't think Coogler is capable of making an outright bad movie.

That has nothing to do with the importance of it, though; the importance of it is in the fact that it exists, period. People have been complaining that Hollywood isn't hiring black directors or actors, or making things targeted at black people, for years, and it's arguably part of why Get Out was a smash hit and Tyler Perry's films consistently turn a profit. Hollywood is finally, finally getting the hint and trying to change, and if BP pays off for Disney, there's probably going to be a metric poo poo-ton of other studios hiring black writers and directors and stars to try and chase the money.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Hollywood is finally, finally getting the hint and trying to change, and if BP pays off for Disney, there's probably going to be a metric poo poo-ton of other studios hiring black writers and directors and stars to try and chase the money.

This is not encouraging, particularly given what usually happens when Hollywood starts "chasing the money".

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

PM me your email address if you want a very special Christmas gift tomorrow.

If you've already given me your email for the proof-of-concept, please send it again so I have a consistent record of who wants in.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

This is not encouraging, particularly given what usually happens when Hollywood starts "chasing the money".

So what do you assume happens if chasing the money means putting great expenditure into diversifying their cast & crew, what exactly is the downside? A whole lot of people of colour get work, their voices become stronger in the creative process, and the needle shifts towards more representation.

You can’t fake this, putting a whole lot of folk in blackface isn’t exactly gonna cut it for trying to ‘cash in’ on the desire for more diversity in film, so no matter how crass and self serving the motives, increasing the presence of people of colour in the industry is pretty much a given side effect.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

On the one hand I think it’s really good that Hollywood is finally kind of sort of opening up to women and people of color, on the other hand the argument that it’s good that “black people and women finally get to make their own reactionary, neo-liberal superhero films, which are indistinguishable from the same films white actors have made for a decade now, because they represent an untapped market that capital has yet to fully commodify” is not compelling to me.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Kind of an epic scenario where whether or not you see a Marvel movie determines whether or not black people get jobs. Thank u Marvel for making the scary move of lettin non-whites make a thing hope ur shining model of bravery pays off 🙏

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the 'more female prison guards' tweet, but it's about black tony starks

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Maluco Marinero posted:

So what do you assume happens if chasing the money means putting great expenditure into diversifying their cast & crew, what exactly is the downside? A whole lot of people of colour get work, their voices become stronger in the creative process, and the needle shifts towards more representation.

You can’t fake this, putting a whole lot of folk in blackface isn’t exactly gonna cut it for trying to ‘cash in’ on the desire for more diversity in film, so no matter how crass and self serving the motives, increasing the presence of people of colour in the industry is pretty much a given side effect.

Well firstly, because it already happened in the 70's and 90's, and they took it back just as fast because "representation" means jack poo poo. I'm obviously not mad that Julie Dash gets a paycheck for directing on Ava DuVernay's show, for sure. "Representation" is not the problem, though, "representation" is the fakery. Disney is more than happy to co-opt whatever to perpetuate its monopoly into other spheres and sell it right back to you.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Nasgate posted:

To be a bit cynical, with the DACA tension and the hype of Black Panther, releasing a (well made)Blue Beetle movie would probably print money. Can't believe I forgot about him.

That's one thing Agents of Shield was pretty good for, for a couple seasons a lot of the cool characters were Latinx and their usage of Spanish with purposefully limited translation was really cool. Especially since multiple other characters started learning Spanish to better communicate with their new team members.

I'm all for Jamie Reyes getting a movie. Hell, make it a back-door into Booster Gold getting a movie.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I don't have PM's, but I'd be very excited to be shot a link at josh04 at gmail dot com.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

YOLOsubmarine posted:

On the one hand I think it’s really good that Hollywood is finally kind of sort of opening up to women and people of color, on the other hand the argument that it’s good that “black people and women finally get to make their own reactionary, neo-liberal superhero films, which are indistinguishable from the same films white actors have made for a decade now, because they represent an untapped market that capital has yet to fully commodify” is not compelling to me.

My hope is more that if the reactionary, neoliberal superhero films do well, it'll open the door for black people and women to make more stuff that both a) isn't a reactionary neoliberal superhero film and b) has the full force of the studio system behind it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Once you set the tone for that poo poo, it's hard to break. There's a reason why the whole quip nonsense became a meme at this point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also, why in the hell would larger budgets (bestowed by Disney!) reverse the trend rather than perpetuate it? Promoting a black woman to the position of chief bottle washer to Feige's bullshit doesn't inspire confidence.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

My hope is more that if the reactionary, neoliberal superhero films do well, it'll open the door for black people and women to make more stuff that both a) isn't a reactionary neoliberal superhero film and b) has the full force of the studio system behind it.

Now tell us how trickle down economics is good.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 24, 2017

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

wyoming posted:

Now tell us how trickle down economics is good.

If anything, last year's moonlight and hidden figures already did this. Black panther is still iffy for me because unlike every other hero that got introduced in the mcu, including Spider-Man, black panther didn't get a "next time" credit note. And the whole framing of someone exiled to America not wanting to be a part of that society being the bad guy doesn't help. I'm not worried about ticket sales, but I hope coogler can pull off the movie beyond being a marvel film in another country.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 24, 2017

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nasgate posted:

Bueno excelente?

Aladdin
Feb 16, 2011
Alright, so we’re gonna take the cynical “all superhero movies are poo poo for sheeple, and nothing ever changes” route, so this argument was never going to get anywhere. We need more people like you to convince the black community that any hope or excitement they’ll ever have is a lie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean... yeah. These aren't things that are necessarily meaningful for the quality of the movie, but they're meaningful for the state of the film industry- black actors and directors are finally being given access to "the big time," the same way white actors and directors have been. Black Panther doing well could cause an actual, meaningful sea change regarding the racism that Hollywood has historically exhibited; it won't end racism, but it'll certainly be a step in the correct direction.

Obviously if you think Hollywood as a concept is inherently fatally flawed, this doesn't really mean anything, but a lot of folks don't see it that way and are really loving excited about this.

Yup. Its about the film industry. We're reaching a point that it has to recognize the logic of having black created media, and how financially rewarding it is.

If you wanna talk about revolutionary, you've gotta talk about Girl's Trip.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/ClarkDoom/status/944394168758976512?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E0

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Aladdin posted:

Alright, so we’re gonna take the cynical “all superhero movies are poo poo for sheeple, and nothing ever changes” route, so this argument was never going to get anywhere. We need more people like you to convince the black community that any hope or excitement they’ll ever have is a lie.

No, it is only Black Panther, the object of critique, that looks like mediocre escapism. In contrast, Hancock and After Earth are still really good.

You are conflating a critique of dominant ideology with cynicism, but the goal of ideological critique is actually to even further empower the spectator. I don't care if people like Black Panther or not. What I care about is that they don't suddenly start thinking that trickle-down economics works, that their capacity to criticize is ultimately able to transcend the mere wish-fulfillment to "feel like white people," as opposed to tearing down white supremacy by any means necessary. It's all about raising a few black folks to the pedestal of whiteness, rather than rebuking this paradigm altogether in the interest of socioeconomic justice.

As with Wonder Woman, part of the reason that Black Panther is able to accrue this much cultural currency is not just a spontaneous, natural reaction of "the black community." Desire is manufactured by years of capitalist, white supremacist hegemony. There have already been plenty of POC-helmed and POC-starring movies of every genre, we've been around this tree before, and all it ever does is briefly invigorate, not POC Power, but POC culturalism, the propping up of a separate-but-equal film market, while it is economically viable.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Again.

Actually.....

:smug:

Actually you should feel lovely about BP

:smug:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I did a double take at "after earth is really good" but then remembered what subforum this is

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I know we've got some weirdass motherfuckers here, but actively going out of your way to argue people out of their excitement and argue for a fuckin separate and equal line of work for black people is a whole nother level.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I need to revisit Bamboozled by Spike Lee.

When I was a kid in High School I read "Black like Me" and it was a seriously good read of the experiences and dealing with racism and culture in the 50s. The image of the black man seen as some kind of animalistic other or entertainment and I kind of think about it when I see the NFL combine and "scouting reviews" of the athletes or the clownish rappers selling some kind of image.

Even Dave Chappelle had that moment of "What am I actually doing here?"

But then again watching of the bigger blockbuster movies like Last Jedi and Fast and Furious I think there is a good trend of having multicultural casts even if its intended as a global cash in. It just needs to built on properly.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 24, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shageletic posted:

If you wanna talk about revolutionary, you've gotta talk about Girl's Trip.

By comparison, Set It Off is so revolutionary it might as well star Assata Shakur (and it also made a hell of a lot of money). Girl's Trip is simply a return to something that was fairly commonplace 10 or 20 years ago. What are we talking about, exactly? Can you imagine someone talking about Drumline or Roll Bounce as if they were some watershed moment? What seems to have happened is that Hollywood got way whiter after the early 2000s but now we have PR agencies for the studios patting themselves on the back for allowing Chadwick Boseman to play every famous black man that's ever lived. Just absurd and ahistorical.

What specifically seems "new" about Black Panther is that it is a "black" film in the homogenized crossover brandscape - again, seems like a real step back.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Shageletic posted:

I know we've got some weirdass motherfuckers here, but actively going out of your way to argue people out of their excitement and argue for a fuckin separate and equal line of work for black people is a whole nother level.

Good thing no one has argued either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Aladdin posted:

We need more people like you to convince the black community that any hope or excitement they’ll ever have is a lie.

Lmfao.

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm not worried about ticket sales, but I hope coogler can pull off the movie beyond being a marvel film in another country.

Creed whipped rear end, and while Fruitvale Station has its share of groaners I have nothing but love for Coogler.

Edward Mass posted:

I'm all for Jamie Reyes getting a movie. Hell, make it a back-door into Booster Gold getting a movie.

Yes to the first, hell no to the second.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 24, 2017

• Locked thread