Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Blisster posted:

I have such mixed feelings about the Dirk Gently show. I really liked parts of it but as it went on I just felt like it got worse and worse. Everything related to Dirk's backstory was just atrocious.

Unrelated, but has anyone had a chance to try out Lancer? It's a beta test Mech rpg by the Kill Six Billion Demons guy. It looks very cool, particularly the mech customization and electronic warfare stuff, but I'm wondering how well it works in practice.

The game is here if you want to check it out. https://www.reddit.com/r/LancerRPG/comments/7i400h/lancer_play_test_update_3_15_released/

I've played some Lancer. The latest version has finally made a lot of strides towards making melee on par with ranged attackers (making flight more available but less potent, opening up a lot more talent trees to melee and ranged weapons both, limiting the number of weapons a mech can integrate/removing the 'whole loving bunch of bonus build points' from Scapper, thus killing the build that was literally nothing but integrated guns).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Leraika posted:

I've played some Lancer. The latest version has finally made a lot of strides towards making melee on par with ranged attackers (making flight more available but less potent, opening up a lot more talent trees to melee and ranged weapons both, limiting the number of weapons a mech can integrate/removing the 'whole loving bunch of bonus build points' from Scapper, thus killing the build that was literally nothing but integrated guns).

I've been really interested in Lancer myself, what was your take on it? Did you enjoy it? Were the systems fun to engage with?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Lancer is good but a bit rough. It also might be too crunchy for a lot of the posters here. If you want a good lighter version though, try Battle Century G.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

King of Solomon posted:

I've been really interested in Lancer myself, what was your take on it? Did you enjoy it? Were the systems fun to engage with?

It's pretty fun! Battles feel smooth and go pretty fast, even though there's a lot of attacks being thrown around.

Sadly, the biggest sticking point is the non-combat stuff - most non-combat rolls are going to be a straight 50% shot or worse because you get only get 3-4 skills (usually pretty overlappy, too) at chargen and the way to acquire new ones is basically ':shrug: ask the GM'. Also, the fact that you have to get to level 2 before you can use a non-generic suit is kind of lovely.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I dig LANCER so much I actually made an entire new mech corporation for it and I'm still tinkering with a half dozen different bits of homebrew.

I do agree that it's still a bit rough in places, though hopefully that can get smoothed out as development progresses. The thing I'm most leery about in 1.5 is the included requirement of having a target lock in order to hack an enemy, which imo adds too many steps and points of failure to hacking which was already reduced in power and efficiency from its original incarnation. It's more action efficient to just attack enemies normally than jump through the 2.5+ hoops in order to start effectively hacking targets. I've brought this up to one of the creators and it's been mentioned on the game's subreddit so hopefully he'll go back and take a look at it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Leraika posted:

It's pretty fun! Battles feel smooth and go pretty fast, even though there's a lot of attacks being thrown around.

Sadly, the biggest sticking point is the non-combat stuff - most non-combat rolls are going to be a straight 50% shot or worse because you get only get 3-4 skills (usually pretty overlappy, too) at chargen and the way to acquire new ones is basically ':shrug: ask the GM'. Also, the fact that you have to get to level 2 before you can use a non-generic suit is kind of lovely.

Yeah, when I looked at the core rulebook I felt pretty iffy about the game's progression systems. I like the simplicity of "you level up when you finish a campaign and get new skills/licenses as part of it," but it just feels wrong somehow.

I don't mind starting with a generic mech at level 1, though; it seems like a good way to ease into the systems, figure out what you like before diving into the deep end.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr. Maltose posted:

He's apparently a nice enough dude so long as you don't make the mistake of being a woman around him.

Let's be more explicit here: he's not a nice guy, he's a sexual predator that gets to continue being a Hollywood thing because his dad makes all his problems go away

Kai Tave posted:

I dig LANCER so much I actually made an entire new mech corporation for it and I'm still tinkering with a half dozen different bits of homebrew.

I do agree that it's still a bit rough in places, though hopefully that can get smoothed out as development progresses. The thing I'm most leery about in 1.5 is the included requirement of having a target lock in order to hack an enemy, which imo adds too many steps and points of failure to hacking which was already reduced in power and efficiency from its original incarnation. It's more action efficient to just attack enemies normally than jump through the 2.5+ hoops in order to start effectively hacking targets. I've brought this up to one of the creators and it's been mentioned on the game's subreddit so hopefully he'll go back and take a look at it.

Lancer is cool, and it's great that Abbadon is so receptive to feedback on how to make it better. His PbtA game set in the comic universe got a final release this month, too. Anyone know how that turned out? It's Patreon-only.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Nuns with Guns posted:

Let's be more explicit here: he's not a nice guy, he's a sexual predator that gets to continue being a Hollywood thing because his dad makes all his problems go away

He makes his problem go away to a filming studio in Florida where helicopter safety laws are more lax.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Lancer is cool, and it's great that Abbadon is so receptive to feedback on how to make it better. His PbtA game set in the comic universe got a final release this month, too. Anyone know how that turned out? It's Patreon-only.

Just give him one dollar then cancel your pledge.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Just give him one dollar then cancel your pledge.

I know i can get the game myself by giving him $2, but it's weird to suggest being a dick about it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*being smart

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
And take food out of the mouths of Abbadon's body pillow waifus?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I'm pledged to abadon at the $10 tier so if you steal from him it's basically a gift from me to you. Merry.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I have also played Broken World.

I'm not fully sold on PBTA but Broken World let me play a drunk beggar who was proficient in ladder-fu and destroying poo poo so it's basically one of my favorite games.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
The disconnect between Bright's critic score and audience score is super fascinating for me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bedlamdan posted:

The disconnect between Bright's critic score and audience score is super fascinating for me.
I'm an audience and I think the critics were too kind.

I'm presuming a lot of the positive audience reactions are due to "Orcs and elves in the modern day? What an original concept!"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm going to guess this is a better and more nuanced representation of "monstrous humanoids facing oppression in the modern world" than Bright is despite being made on a thousandth of the budget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsMKOx6fumc

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
there is no chemistry between will smith and the orc and every. single. line. has to be directly quoted from any other cop buddy movie ever

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Instead, watch Dark, it's German and slow and very good

Dark handles time loops in a very German way. Still a good drama.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Nuns with Guns posted:

For people who don't go to other sub forums, BSS poster Doogz has a great (read: terrible) story about Landis at Morrisoncon, which culminates in Max apparently forgetting his date's name and shouting "Hey, Whore" to get her attention.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Splicer posted:

"Orcs and elves in the modern day? What an original concept!"

The joke is that it actually is, because the concept is never explored all that much outside of Shadowrun and normies don't give a gently caress about rpg settings.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
the problem is that it just makes orcs and elves less cool and gets into really bizarre racial analogies.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
It's really hamfisted but I still appreciate its message that the police will one day murder me

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Doorknob Slobber posted:

there is no chemistry between will smith and the orc

I love that this sentence exists.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Villainous campaign idea: modern fantasy SWAT game.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
its just a really bad comparison to compare orcs explicitly with black people, it's not going to end well at all

E: what they should have done is made the dark lord Dr Yakub

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 23, 2017

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
The biggest disappointment is that it never used the line "around elves, watch yourselves"

Also it was sort of pointless to have the orcs as standins for existing racial minority groups when you also depict shootouts in the barrio with latin gangbangers meaning human race relations are still also hosed in largely identical ways???

Admittedly I'm still going to see the sequel anyways.

Serf
May 5, 2011

bright was decidedly average. it failed to elevate itself above a thousand other cop movies (you might as well watch 16 blocks or end of watch instead) with the same premise despite the fact that the fantasy stuff distinguishes it from them. a few interesting things but overall it wasn't great and it also didn't suck, which is less worthwhile

the only part of the movie that is really worth anything is the extremely weird racial politics of the orcs and elves

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
More dragons in the sky and beating unseelie in bird houses with shovels, and less police precinct politics for the next one please

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
You know what was a really good movie about race relations and police officers in a fantasy world? Zootopia

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what system to best run Bright the RPG? Phoenix Command

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Bright really should have been series instead of a movie. There's a lot of poo poo crammed into it that doesn't get dropped until it becomes important, such as the whole prophecy thing and an orc being the Aragorn of their world. There's also stuff that's never explained either like PMC guarded Elftown. It's pretty much the faults of David Ayer and Max Landis across two hours. Poor execution, writing, and story decisions. At one point Will Smith says, "Today, fairy lives don't matter!" It's watchable but I doubt we'll get a sequel with or without Max Landis' behavior catching up with him.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That was Smith adlibbing lmao

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Cinema Discusso in exile

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Bright really should have been series instead of a movie. There's a lot of poo poo crammed into it that doesn't get dropped until it becomes important, such as the whole prophecy thing and an orc being the Aragorn of their world. There's also stuff that's never explained either like PMC guarded Elftown. It's pretty much the faults of David Ayer and Max Landis across two hours. Poor execution, writing, and story decisions. At one point Will Smith says, "Today, fairy lives don't matter!" It's watchable but I doubt we'll get a sequel with or without Max Landis' behavior catching up with him.

A sequel's already greenlit, and Landis didn't contribute beyond the script that Ayer modified

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Bedlamdan posted:

The joke is that it actually is, because the concept is never explored all that much outside of Shadowrun and normies don't give a gently caress about rpg settings.

one of the best selling books of all time is a modern-day fantasy novel, and I don't think doing specifically tolkien-derived modern day fantasy is really that much of an extra innovation

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Harry Potter is barely modern day due to the wizard apartheid

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Apparently there's a centaur police officer which makes me want the movie where they hire the first centaur cop and it's a really clunky disability metaphor instead of a really clunky race metaphor.

Also I'm generally just immediately turned off on any premise where it's like "so something world-changing happened 2000 years ago and then nothing changes" like the whole thing in Bright is that the fight against Sauron in LOTR is like the death and martyrdom of Christ and then the world just loving happens like it did for us which is just flat bullshit and lazy writing. Details like that let me know it's just not worth my time.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Bright really should have been series instead of a movie.

I guess he managed to capture the fantasy genre's obsession with endless backstory then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

spoiler. its bad

Actually, it was pretty good. I'm interested in seeing a sequel.

• Locked thread