Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I was totally committed to a Cursed loadout until I found this drat anime sword. The sparkly attacks are just too good to pass up, dammit. If the First Civ weapons were this over the top I'd buy them asap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
That FFXV event was extremely disappointing compared to the AC event XV got. They couldn't even model an actual chocobo, or make it look like proper barding?

I liked all of the Trials of the Gods even if they're samey, but I hope the expansions supply more satisfying content.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

precision posted:

75 hours and I haven't found a single Legendary dual sword.

They sell some at the Store. :q:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

precision posted:

75 hours and I haven't found a single Legendary dual sword.

I've found one dual sword, period, in 23 hours so far.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I have duplicate legendary ones lol.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

On the bright side, not finding deal swords means you get to use good weapons instead.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I gave it a try and while the game seems fun, I’m not in love with the combat controls and the way it works on Steam Link, I figure I’ll just grab some of the old AC games that I only had on PS3/4 before. Replaying some of the Roger Craig Smith era games along with 4 and Syndicate should be fun, along with some DLC.

Oh how was Rogue? The narrative hook is really interesting to me.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

It has grenade launchers

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Pretty cool, Shay's got a neat story, sailing is still fun/good.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Friendly Fire posted:

Dual blades are awesome, screw the haters.

Shield break attack into light combo almost always gets you enough to do the powered up attack and go nuts shanking them into the ground.

Killing people one at a time, but a good heavy blade can take down multiple enemies with one combo

Also heavy blades have medium (not slow) speed, which I realized too late.

I haven't looked at DPS stats but they feel pretty quick for the damage output.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

The heavy blade "hold light" attack is crazy. It's a seemingly endless flail, perfect after an enemy gets knocked down

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It's pretty good and I'd recommend it, but the grapevine is suggesting that a remastering for the XBone and PS4 is happening soon so you might want to hold off.

Anyway, as an AC fan who always likes to collect the past costumes, how's that handled here? Is it like AC4 where you just had to connect to UPlay and the game would go "OK, you unlock the past ancestor costumes now" or Syndicate's style of making them UPlay unlocks? I know that at least Aguilar's costume is locked behind a Twitch Prime membership, so as one of the six people that liked the movie that's gonna suck unless Twitch Prime has a trial month.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Altair, Ezio and Edward's costumes are UPlay unlocks.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
They all suck anyway, who the hell wants to run around looking like a tampon

Best outfits in order:

1: Persian Prince
2: Black thingy after killing Phylaketes

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I used the Abyss or whatever DLC Robes for a little while but they kind of stopped interesting me after a while. I stick with Bayek's own robes now. Maybe I'll wear Altair's at some points, but I've never been a fan of Ezio's Brotherhood Robes sans his upgraded gear. Same for Edward.

I feel like Ezio's best stuff was the Armor of Altair and his denim robes from Revelations but those always get passed over for the DLC content...

also lol that they just completely skipped over Connor's robes so far.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I use that basic brown Egyptian set. Goes well with the rugged look of his hair and beard, while looking practical.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well I gave it a try and while the game seems fun, I’m not in love with the combat controls and the way it works on Steam Link, I figure I’ll just grab some of the old AC games that I only had on PS3/4 before. Replaying some of the Roger Craig Smith era games along with 4 and Syndicate should be fun, along with some DLC.

Rogue is good if you like the boat thing from ac4 because that's refined and better in it. It's shorter than other games, though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I tend to change my outfit depending on where I am in the game world.

Currently in Cyrene so I'm wearing the Roman Centurion outfit to blend in better. :shobon:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I used the bath towel outfit for probably half the game.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I got the pharaoh outfit from one of those 3000 coin mystery boxes sold at the green camel icons - I've pretty much stuck with that ever since because it actually looks like armor that'd be useful in a fight. That's said: I, too, had a bath towel phase.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you liked black flag, you will like rogue, it's essentially the exact same game with a new aesthetic and setting. The only big things I remember changing from a gameplay perspective are that you get a machine gun instead of a swivel cannon, and you get an air rifle (which shoots darts and grenades) instead of a blowgun. And the main city (New York) is bigger has some new gimmicks going on. Other than that, it's just "Black Flag: You're a Templar this time". which is not a complaint, black flag owned

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rogue is incredibly chill too, I loved just sailing around the Atlantic cracking open ice bergs and watching naval battles unfold.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How is the Ezio collection? Loved Brotherhood and never really finished Revelations. Wondered if it's worth getting on sale - that's a poo poo load of rear end.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

How is the Ezio collection? Loved Brotherhood and never really finished Revelations. Wondered if it's worth getting on sale - that's a poo poo load of rear end.

I liked revelations and never really understood why people like to dunk on it. It’s fun for the same reasons brotherhood was. The worst thing I can say about it is that the new stuff they added to the game (hook thing, tower defense, bomb crafting) is pretty underwhelming but outside of some introductory tutorials you can pretty safely ignore all of it and treat it like brotherhood: old man edition. Istanbul is very pretty and fun to run around in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

It's a very well done re-release, and you get 3 great games for like $20 which is a steal

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I liked revelations and never really understood why people like to dunk on it. It’s fun for the same reasons brotherhood was. The worst thing I can say about it is that the new stuff they added to the game (hook thing, tower defense, bomb crafting) is pretty underwhelming but outside of some introductory tutorials you can pretty safely ignore all of it and treat it like brotherhood: old man edition. Istanbul is very pretty and fun to run around in.

Gameplay wise Revelations just doesn't have a reason to exist and Brotherhood is the absolute pinnacle of Assassin's Creed storytelling (Black Sails being a close second). It gets grief because it's a game that doesn't really move the series forwards and it's a waste of time talking about how bad AC3 was because everyone already agrees.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I hope one of the DLC introduce a house for Bayak, I have so much cool stuff I never use but I want to display

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Gameplay wise Revelations just doesn't have a reason to exist and Brotherhood is the absolute pinnacle of Assassin's Creed storytelling (Black Sails being a close second). It gets grief because it's a game that doesn't really move the series forwards and it's a waste of time talking about how bad AC3 was because everyone already agrees.

I guess, but at the end of the day I like it for the same reason i like rogue. It’s just a good game, again

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I mostly liked 3 :smith:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

.....me too

Hey, maybe I do have bad taste

For real though that game is ok as long as you have the self control to ignore the optional objectives that you don’t like

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm quickly learning that Wanderer the camel is a worthy successor to Roach from the Witcher III. I was taking out a bandit camp in a little casm and accidentally got spotted. All the bandits formed a little conga line trying to search for me but there was a rope bridge going part of chasm that Wanderer decided to stand on. One by one each of the bandits tried to walk past wanderer and fell off the bridge, dying instantly. Wanderer accidentally took out a whole bandit camp by himself. A+ you stupid loving camel I'm never replacing you.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Horse supremacy!

Mainly because although I suspect they travel at the same speed, horses feel like they go faster than camels because you're closer to the ground.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Horses do indeed travel sliiiightly faster iirc.

Also having ridden both irl I'll take a horse any day. Camels are assholes - they're durable but oh my god.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ainsley McTree posted:

.....me too

Hey, maybe I do have bad taste

For real though that game is ok as long as you have the self control to ignore the optional objectives that you don’t like

AC3 is at its worst mediocre and tedious, and as you say a lot of that can be ignored. It just also doesn't have as many high points as the trilogy it came after, making it a hard sell at the time. It's an odd game because it's the clear demarcation point between "old AC" and "new AC" (and now Origins is like "AC 2.5")

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
If you ain't unicorning you aint.. yeah.

I had a horror moment when my unicorn got BURNT, poor feller had actual burn damage (in big pink splotches) across his skin.

I felt bad but they went away.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

People don't like Revelations because it was more of the same which was annoying coming in just a year after Brotherhood.

Yardbomb posted:

3 was weird because it felt like they just had a bunch of different people making modules and then a completely different group had to somehow fit them together into one game. Also Colonial America was pretty bad for AC-style gameplay and they addressed this by not doing anything different.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

muscles like this! posted:

3 was weird because it felt like they just had a bunch of different people making modules and then a completely different group had to somehow fit them together into one game. Also Colonial America was pretty bad for AC-style gameplay and they addressed this by not doing anything different.

It felt like that because that’s what happened, according to one of the developers who wrote about it on Reddit (and unfortunately has deleted his post since). Some of it is discussed here.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

They completely reworked how stealth worked compensate for the architecture differences

Hiding in bushes/trees and allowing for better ground level stealth was all something that started in AC3

They redid parkour to allow better horizontal transitions as well

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 24, 2017

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

White horse from Twitch-Prime loot + Scarab arc = New Best Friend For Life :unsmith:

He retired once I beat the campaign though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't understand how someone can complete the 1-2 hour tutorial in AC3, then get plunged immediately into a second 1-2 hour tutorial, followed by a cutscene where you are told it is time to begin your training and not go 'I might finish this game, but I've decided it is a bad game'.