Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Pick posted:

that's bullshit, forensic files owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

maskenfreiheit posted:

if i lived in a legal state i'd probably put a few of those 500mg pot brownies in my fridge in my room.

if you keep it in the labeled container she can't go after you for poisoning, it's not your fault someone broke into your room and ate clearly labeled stuff.

Just label all your food POISON but only poison about 15% of it. Just make sure you remember which food isn't actually poisoned.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Am I (24/F) wrong for not wanting to get to know someone(30s/M) my friend (30/F) is trying to set me up with?

quote:

My friend has been trying to set me up to get to know a friend of her husband and at first I was interested, but the next morning, I didn't feel it was a good idea (he is 8 years older/I don't like dating men above 30s), I plan on getting two masters, go to medical school and I need to mature, I just got out an emotionally abusive relationship) I told her this about a month ago. She called me recently and asked me if it was okay to give him my number, but I told her that I told her I wasn't interested and I had a feeling she was gonna call me about it. She felt bad after.

However, this situation really annoys me because I feel guilty from my parents and her and other friends for not being interested into getting to know him. When I met him, I really didn't feel like he was someone Id see myself with. Am I being unreasonable? Its like all this pressure makes me feel guilty.

tl;dr: Friend tried to set me up with someone and told her I am not interested a month ago and she called me today asking if it was okay to give him my number. My parents and friends made me feel guilty that I wasn't at least trying to getting to know him.

Why won't you saddle yourself with an older guy you don't like?! You're so selfish!!! :qq:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Am I (24/F) wrong for not wanting to get to know someone(30s/M) my friend (30/F) is trying to set me up with?

Why won't you saddle yourself with an older guy you don't like?! You're so selfish!!! :qq:

It'd be a real lovely friends and parents who pressured someone into doing that but she forgot to describe any way in which they are doing so besides calling her one time and apologizing when she said no.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doc Hawkins posted:

It'd be a real lovely friends and parents who pressured someone into doing that but she forgot to describe any way in which they are doing so besides calling her one time and apologizing when she said no.

She did say she just came out of an abusive relationship. Those can get you to be very aggro about people even looking like they're pressuring or trying to control you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pick posted:

Who watches that much loving tv? I watch like 2-3 hours a week, max.
Me too but the numbers I've seen quoted are obscene even if mine are further exaggerated. Like 5 hours a day is the stated average I saw. I presume that's increased by some tv hog outliers but still, insane.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/business/media/nielsen-survey-media-viewing.html

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Me too but the numbers I've seen quoted are obscene even if mine are further exaggerated. Like 5 hours a day is the stated average I saw. I presume that's increased by some tv hog outliers but still, insane.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/business/media/nielsen-survey-media-viewing.html

I have my TV on a lot but I'm usually doing something else and it's just background noise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In 2014 a heavy tv viewer was defined as watching 705 minutes of tv or more.

A day.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

A day.

....................?!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Barudak posted:

A day.
What kind of situation would allow that much free time? I consider myself pro at squandering the life I've been given and 11.75 hours a day still seems like an active commitment.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
stay at home wives

retired people who hoping/waiting to die and have no money or desire to do anything else

crabs

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
What do crabs watch? Are they the ones people keep making police procedurals for?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey, wanna get depressed just before Christmas?

My [17m] sister [17f] and I found out the truth about how we came into this world, and we don't know how to handle it. At all. Should I bring it back up or drop it?

:smithicide:

My mother sometimes overshares and during "the sex talk" brought up the fact that I was an accident (which forced my mom and dad to get married, which resulted in a divorce and at least one incident of physical violence between them) as an argument for avoiding sex before marriage. That hosed me up.

But this? This is even worse. You can't unfuck that, either. They need to seek some therapy or counseling.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Pick posted:

stay at home wives

retired people who hoping/waiting to die and have no money or desire to do anything else

crabs

this thrills the crab

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's a bank, and banks tend to be extra leery of people with records, because they don't want any theft or fraud of the money that they keep around.

A bit ago but, at a bank you can't really hire anyone who has been convicted of "crimes of dishonesty" (stealing, embezzling, fraud etc.) The reason being is that if you know about it you need to ask for an exception to have them work there from the feds (fdic or federal reserve board or some poo poo like that).

There's a story of someone who worked at BofA for 20 years or something and they were redoing background checks on everyone and turned out she got fired because she shoplifted a candy bar or some poo poo at 18 (usually juvenile records are sealed / expunged if you did one minor dumb thing and and didn't do anything more by the time you turn 18 or within x years). She was a call center worker and they probably didn't want to deal with filing a waiver over and over.

Not the exact case... Also apparently this isn't a thing as much anymore

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bottomline/article/Bank-worker-fired-for-crime-long-ago-3829092.php

Dude should ask an attorney or his attorney from the case about if he should share his conviction for being a dumb teenager, the answer is probably no, but "I anal'

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pick posted:

stay at home wives

crabs

I know several folks that will leave the TV on for their pets while they are at work.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

tater_salad posted:

the answer is probably no, but "I anal'

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

What kind of situation would allow that much free time? I consider myself pro at squandering the life I've been given and 11.75 hours a day still seems like an active commitment.

being the president

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's how I read it every single time I see it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pick posted:

My bf [25M] of 5 years is threatening to sue me [25F] for throwing away his old soda bottlesRelationships
672 points 916 comments submitted 1 year ago by Smushy010 to r/relationships

1...2...3...400. thats a lot of cans.
It's really confusing why she keeps calling him her boyfriend instead of her ex-boyfriend.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Khorne posted:

It's really confusing why she keeps calling him her boyfriend instead of her ex-boyfriend.
It's like an /r/relationships rule that the need to break up is inversely proportional to the speed at which the break up occurs.

Is someone having their first jealous episode or drama with their friends? They broke up before the OP hit 'post.' Does their partner literally rape them every time he wants sex? You'd best believe that relationship is going from here to the grave.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I(27f) think I just caught my nephew(18m) trying to record me in the bathroom.Non-Romantic (self.relationships)

quote:

I'm sorry idk where else to post this..

So backstory is, my nephew is spending the night, everyone else is asleep and we're both night hawks. Nephew is my fiancé sisters kid, I've been in his life since he was in diapers. He's never acted weird around me at all or anything like that..

Tonight I decided to do my nails and my nail stuff is kept in the bathroom, nephew was in the bathroom so I waited, when he was out I went to get my stuff and my daughters(7) old iPod fell out from under the bag.. I noticed it was on and recording. At first I thought my daughter was trying to play a prank or catch a ghost or something but the video was only -5 minutes long so far... I watched the video and it's pointed directly at the toilet, the video would have caught my rear end going to sit on the toilet.. I put the iPod away in my purse right away and maybe 3 minutes after I got out of the bathroom my nephew went to the bathroom again. He came out and went straight to the spare room.. I didn't say anything and he didn't either.. idk if I should just ignore this or should I bring it up with my fiancé in the morning?! WTF!!!!

Sorry for the long rear end story but I'm weirded the gently caress out right now.. what the hell do I do?! I still think of him as a kid even if he's legally an adult now..

Also sorry for how it's written. I wrote it last night but couldn't make an throwaway for some reason.

TL;DR Found an iPod on record in the bathroom pointing at the toilet after nephew had been in there. Pretty sure he was trying to record my rear end.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Khorne posted:

The coke bottle guy was going to put pieces of her in each bottle as a way to show his love.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

maskenfreiheit posted:

I(27f) think I just caught my nephew(18m) trying to record me in the bathroom.Non-Romantic (self.relationships)

now she has a christmas present for her nephew

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

So a lot of it is a mixture of stay at home, unemployed, and collecting settlement money.

To further blow minds african americans in that quintile were averaging 917 minutes a day.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
My brother (27M) is super focused on rules, and won’t let up, even with my (31F) son’s (5M) anxiety

quote:

Here’s some backstory, it’s a lot, and mostly relevant. Sorry if this gets long, I can be a blabberer. I have a younger brother, I’ll call him Adam. Our parents divorced when I was 12, and he was 8. For the most part, I was okay. Adam was the one who really struggled. He got really anxious, and desperate for structure. Our parents had a system where one week, one parent got the kids for 3 days, the other got them for 4, and the next week, they’d switch up the amount. However, it was never the same days. So one week, we could be at our dads house on Monday, our mom’s on Tuesday to Thursday, then with our dad the rest of the week. The next, we’d be at Mom’s Monday and Tuesday, Dad’s on Wednesday, Mom’s on Thursday, Dad’s on Friday and Saturday, and back to mom on Sunday. Our parents both worked a lot, so Adam regulated himself and me. He would write it before the start of the day, plan it by the half hour increments, and make sure he held himself to it, and tried to make me do the same. It was kind of a pain in the rear end, and at that point, I didn’t realize the importance of it so I was kind of mean to him about it, and didn’t want to follow the schedule. Adam would write rules for whichever house we were at, and that’s what he really held me to. If I was still walking around at 9:30, he would come up to me and tell me to go to bed, because according to the rules, it was bedtime.

Adam is married, with 3 kids, and is in his pediatrics residency. When he and his girlfriend got pregnant with their first (8M), they were both still in college. It freaked him the hell out. He’d call me like clockwork, and was always Googling what to do, because he needed an answer. Our parents gave him a huge chunk of money when they decided to keep their baby, and continued to give him $1,000 a month until their son turned 5. His second (5F) was born right after they graduated, and before my brother went to med school. I stayed with his wife after their second was born (he married her shortly before their first was born- to “follow the rules”), and I noticed that there was a whiteboard just of rules and policies, and his wife told me that Adam gets very serious about it, so it’s hard for him to raise their children, because it stresses him out when they break rules. They had their third last year, and she turned 1 over the summer.

I have my own son, he’s also 5. He’s a sensitive, anxious little kid. Like, roadkill makes him feel like he’s going to cry. If he spends too much time thinking, he starts shaking and pulling his hair. We work with a therapist, and we have strategies in place to help him with his anxiety. His big tactic is to come find us when he’s getting stressed, and we try to talk it out with him. If he can’t get calm from that, then we try other techniques, like lying down with him, trying to get his mind off of it. We’re spending the holidays at Adam’s house, and it’s already getting on my nerves.

Adam has a rule that kids eat at the kids table, adults eat at the adult table. Kids don’t get up from the kids table, they don’t come to the adult table. My nephew has hit the stage where he loves to talk about guns and violence, and it stresses my son out. It was giving him anxiety, so he came to go find me. The second he got out of his chair, Adam went, “Kids stay at the kid table.” Adam does this irritating thing where if someone does something “against the rules”, he says the rule, and if anyone argues or keeps doing it, he repeats it in a louder voice. If they continue, he keeps repeating it until he ends up shouting. My son said he needed me, and Adam repeated himself. He kept going, climbed up into my lap, and Adam repeated it until he was yelling at my son. I had to leave the room, covering my son’s ears while my son was pulling his hair and crying.

Once I got my son calmed, I asked Adam to come into the living room with me. I told him that my son needed to sit with me sometimes, and he just said, “The kids stay at the kids table.” I kept trying to argue it, but he just kept doing it until he was yelling again, and I had to give up. Adam also does taxidermy in his basement, but they’re in the process of redoing the area of their home where the kids’ rooms were to make more space, so all their children sleep in the basement, and my son is expected to sleep with them. Adam’s rule is “kids stay in the basement past 8pm.” His taxidermy is right across from where my son sleeps, and it scares him. So, my son will go try to find me or my fiancée, and will instead be met with Adam going, “kids stay in the basement past 8pm.”

Adam told me he “knows I’m a rule breaker,” and said my son can’t turn out like me if I intend for him to be a successful human. I know this is likely trauma from his childhood, and he should go to therapy- but I can’t make him do anything about that. I just need help getting through this holiday. My son is actively going to be harmed by these rules, if he can’t come to me for anxiety relief or be able to be in an environment where he feels safe and comfortable. How can I try to get Adam to lower his boundaries? Am I being unreasonable in asking him to change things up for my son? His kids are disciplined as hell, it’s not like letting my son crawl up in my lap when he’s anxious will make his house go to poo poo.

TLDR: My brother is super centered on rules, and has been making my son follow the rules even when it’s not beneficial.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
The mentally ill who lack insight and self reflection aren’t usually able to regulate their mental illness for the benefit of other mentally ill people

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Barudak posted:

A day.

i wonder what the parameters are of that. people who have a tv on while theyre doing something else? or someone who is actively and exclusively watching shows?

i mean i leave the tv on all the time while im doing stuff. by that measure i probably watch like 30 hours a week

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

welcome to hell posted:

My brother (27M) is super focused on rules, and won’t let up, even with my (31F) son’s (5M) anxiety

This is loving sick and sounds like a loving gulag.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there a rule about beating the poo poo out of your dumbass brother?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

welcome to hell posted:

The temptation to keep breaking the rule yo see what happens would be too much. I wonder if he'd snap or pass out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It already sounded bad and then suddenly taxidermy. I don't care how legit an art form it is, when a mentally broken control freak does it then it amplifies their creepiness threefold.

The OP sounds dumb as poo poo too, to the point of stdh.txt. How did she get through adolesence without her brother's behavior coming to a head? There really wasn't any time as teenagers where she broke one of his rules and poo poo got real crazy?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

welcome to hell posted:

She should get a hotel room, regardless of cost.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
also sever.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

welcome to hell posted:

his brother reminds me of my catholic elementary school principal.

being catholic they were weird about "wasting food" and sometimes would hound you to eat your lunch.

usually what they did is if you didn't want something you put it on a table between the two garbage cans and if someone else wanted it they could grab it - if you threw your food directly into the trash it would mean you stayed in for recess. you also had to eat "at least some" of your food (i guess kids were refusing to eat their lovely food then whining they were hungry later in the day? I forget the details but you HAD to eat SOME of the food and the definition of SOME changed often)

well anyways one day in 3rd grade this one kid, who was battling some serious illnesses (he needed a new liver) didn't eat ANY of his food so the principal kept repeating "you can't waste food it's a sin" and "you have to eat some of your food if you want to go outside". She kept repeating this louder and louder until the kid yells "FINE I DON'T WANNA GO OUTSIDE", dumps the tray in the trash, and puts his head in his hands sobbing.

So of course the principal start actually screaming at him that he's in for the rest of the month and how dare he take that tone etc etc.

Joe felt ill because he needed a new liver. He didn't come back after summer vacation and was dead by the following spring.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My (19f) roommate (18f) acts like our dorm room is only hers and only wants things her way.

quote:

I (19f) was originally placed in a dorm room with 5 other girls, but requested a new room due to anxiety and switched rooms a week and a half into the semester. My roommate (18f), Ally, and I were randomly put together. Before I moved into our dorm, my roommate didn't have a roommate and lived in the room by herself.

Ally seems to think that since she has lived there a week and a half longer than me, she has seniority over me or something; she literally said to me "it was my room first" a couple of times (we pay the same amount for housing....)

She's pretty controlling about our room, doesn't really compromise, -and wants her terms and conditions to be absolute.

For example, at the beginning of the semester, Ally emphasized the fact that she didn't want any alcohol in our room whatsoever. I was disappointed, but I said fine. Then, about three weeks ago, she briefly mentions in passing that her boyfriend (21m) is going to bring her alcohol. I was and still kind of am livid; she made a whole big deal about there being no alcohol in our room and didn't even discuss with me changing the rules about it.

She also goes to bed every night around 10 and wants lights out by 9:30 every night. She wakes up via an alarm at 7 AM, turns on the lights, and makes a lot of noise getting ready. I've told her that she wakes me up and to please not turn the lights on, but she still does it.

The only time I'm ever woken up before her was when I was going home for the weekend. I dropped a metal water bottle, it made a loud noise, and she later made a snarky comment to me about how I woke her up.

She also FaceTimes her bf in our room every night from like 6 to 9:30. It gets kind of annoying after a while, but I don't say anything and just deal with it. I was pissed though because during finals week, I was in the library all day, came back to our dorm, and texted my roommate that I was studying in our room and I'd prefer it to be quiet so I could focus. She comes back like 20 minutes later, face timing her bf in our dorm.

This annoys me because I have come into the room before and said a brief hi to her, only for her to say "I'm doing work right now, don't talk to me"

I'm on winter break right now and want to know how I should deal with this next semester because I'm getting tired of it real fast.

TL;DR: my (19f) roommate (18f) wants things her way and only her way. I'm tired of it. What do I do?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

maskenfreiheit posted:

Joe felt ill because he needed a new liver. He didn't come back after summer vacation and was dead by the following spring.

I bet that principal felt like a shitheel after that... Nah, self righteous assholes don't feel guilt.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

maskenfreiheit posted:

My (19f) roommate (18f) acts like our dorm room is only hers and only wants things her way.

Change the rules. Enforce them by repeating them louder and louder until she acquiesces.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

i wonder what the parameters are of that. people who have a tv on while theyre doing something else? or someone who is actively and exclusively watching shows?

i mean i leave the tv on all the time while im doing stuff. by that measure i probably watch like 30 hours a week

For metered markets it was TV on, monitoring device on. Since the monitoring device auto uploads it logs being powered on or off, channel changes, muting, etc. So while its possible a contingent of these turn on the tv and walk away, theyre still turning on the TV reliably to have on all day with volume on purpose. You sound like you would count, you have the device on with sound, with intention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

I bet that principal felt like a shitheel after that... Nah, self righteous assholes don't feel guilt.