Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I really enjoyed Bright. It's obviously not like Oscar material but it was a pretty good movie. I'd love to see a District 9-style documentary series about that world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Looks like Max Landis has been publicly accused of sexual assault. This is possibly the least surprising headline ever written, but it still sucks to hear.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Finished Godless today and I thought it was pretty decent up until the last episode. What a train wreck of a finale.

They went the Ramsay Bolton route, making the villain an inverse Mary Sue that's hyper competent at everything and immortal up until the point where it's cinematically appropriate for him to die. The final shootout scene was beyond ridiculous- an armed gang gets massacred and fights to the very last man standing in an open kill zone, while the Super Villain sits stationary on his horse doing nothing throughout. At some point the Super Villain leaves unscathed and is the only survivor, and is instantly tracked down by the hero who kills him in a stylized pistol draw standoff.

Also the built-up bad rear end Black veteran soldiers all died in like 2 seconds without inflicting any noticeable losses on the Super Villain, just to make the Super Villain that much more villainous. All in all I think it ruined the whole series.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

This was it. Thanks!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Finished Godless today and I thought it was pretty decent up until the last episode. What a train wreck of a finale.

They went the Ramsay Bolton route, making the villain an inverse Mary Sue that's hyper competent at everything and immortal up until the point where it's cinematically appropriate for him to die. The final shootout scene was beyond ridiculous- an armed gang gets massacred and fights to the very last man standing in an open kill zone, while the Super Villain sits stationary on his horse doing nothing throughout. At some point the Super Villain leaves unscathed and is the only survivor, and is instantly tracked down by the hero who kills him in a stylized pistol draw standoff.

Also the built-up bad rear end Black veteran soldiers all died in like 2 seconds without inflicting any noticeable losses on the Super Villain, just to make the Super Villain that much more villainous. All in all I think it ruined the whole series.

I was confused why:

Whitey was at the Sheriff's office instead of the hotel for no reason.

The German girl's Pinkerton boyfriend was left to sleep and stumble out in his pajamas during the battle instead of being another defender in the hotel.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Lycus posted:

I was confused why:

Whitey was at the Sheriff's office instead of the hotel for no reason.

The German girl's Pinkerton boyfriend was left to sleep and stumble out in his pajamas during the battle instead of being another defender in the hotel.

These are valid points I hadn't even considered. There was so much terrible poo poo to unpack, I'm sure I missed a lot more than that too.

Also, it makes no sense that they holed up in the hotel but didn't barricade the entrance at all (even though that had a huge amount of large furniture or other poo poo that would have made the hotel a fortress), so that multiple men on horseback were able to rush in and go up multiple flights of stairs on horseback casually gunning down people through a hail of gunfire. It was one of the most outrageously stupid gunfight scenes I've ever seen on screen. Absolutely no one was affected by any sort of gun fire suppression and almost no one made use of cover- multiple people were actually shown to actively abandon cover to rush out into the open and be shot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Godless was pretty bad from beginning to end .

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Watching La Casa de Papel. Will someone please shoot Berlin?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Same, but with Hacksaw Ridge and Andrew Garfield. Damnit enough of the dating stuff and get to the proper action.

Edit: Well shucks, a movie improved by Vince Vaughn? Impressive!

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 24, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Marmaduke! posted:

Same, but with Hacksaw Ridge and Andrew Garfield. Damnit enough of the dating stuff and get to the proper action.

Edit: Well shucks, a movie improved by Vince Vaughn? Impressive!

God that was an atrocious movie and I don't understand how it was nominated for so many awards. It was so hokey and cheesy. And despite the fact that he is half American, Andrew Garfield's American accent has never been that good, particularly when he's portraying a southerner like he is here.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I kind of appreciated it on the level of mel Gibson (potentially) intentionally making the type of film with Classic (read: corny and shallow) characters and over the top performances. It's just that Garfield isn't good at accents (the performance made me leery of Silence, which I have yet to see). I thought Vince Vaughn was laughably miscast, I can't imagine thinking he improved the movie. Anyway you've got your classic "I'm Tex! I'm Brooklyn!" Type cliche ww2 movie squad and schmaltzy romance.
I thought it was an okay film overall, helped a lot by the magnificent true story and a great character/performance from Hugo Weaving.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

So I finished watching Patriot, which was pretty great, the other day, but I'm kind of confused about part of the ending. Was Agathe just running off with the money, or what exactly was she planning on doing? I didn't quite get her motivation. Anyway, cool show, I think the prolonged rock-paper-scissors scene was my favorite. Hopefully season 2 will come out relatively soon.

I also finally finished this. Goddamn what an amazing show.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I just saw that Kanopy now has an Apple TV app if any of you use that service.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Nihonniboku posted:

God that was an atrocious movie and I don't understand how it was nominated for so many awards. It was so hokey and cheesy. And despite the fact that he is half American, Andrew Garfield's American accent has never been that good, particularly when he's portraying a southerner like he is here.

I was really put off by Garfield's southern accent the whole time I watched it; but went :aaaaa: when they had that clip of the actual Desmond Doss speaking at the end and he sounded just as ridiculous.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Unzip and Attack posted:

These are valid points I hadn't even considered. There was so much terrible poo poo to unpack, I'm sure I missed a lot more than that too.

Also, it makes no sense that they holed up in the hotel but didn't barricade the entrance at all (even though that had a huge amount of large furniture or other poo poo that would have made the hotel a fortress), so that multiple men on horseback were able to rush in and go up multiple flights of stairs on horseback casually gunning down people through a hail of gunfire. It was one of the most outrageously stupid gunfight scenes I've ever seen on screen. Absolutely no one was affected by any sort of gun fire suppression and almost no one made use of cover- multiple people were actually shown to actively abandon cover to rush out into the open and be shot.

I wondered why Whitey walked out of the sheriff's office/jail or whatever, spinning his guns around like an rear end in a top hat and instantly getting killed instead of going to the building where the huge set up was ready to go.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Creep 2 is up on Netflix. haven't watched it yet and I really can't believe they made a sequel to it but I loved the first one so I'll give it a shot for sure.

Field Mousepad posted:

I wondered why Whitey walked out of the sheriff's office/jail or whatever, spinning his guns around like an rear end in a top hat and instantly getting killed instead of going to the building where the huge set up was ready to go.

I thought about that too, but so much of Godless made zero sense it was very fleeting.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 25, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Creep 2 is up on Netflix. haven't watched it yet and I really can't believe they made a sequel to it but I loved the first one so I'll give it a shot for sure

It is, against all odds, much better than the original (but depends completely on having seen it)

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Field Mousepad posted:

I think we'll see a host of shows "undermining tropes" ala GoT but unless it's done well, it falls flat and feels extremely cheap, as it did here.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you thought the Hellboy movies were entertaining, you'll probably like Bright well enough.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Netflix Goes After the Movie Business With a Big-Budget Will Smith Film

Bloomberg posted:

Company’s $8 billion budget includes 80-movie slate for 2018
“Bright” is the company’s first attempt at a big-budget Hollywood production, bringing together a bona fide movie star in a fantasy, buddy-cop tale that could have come from any studio playbook. Directed by David Ayer, who also made “Suicide Squad,” it’s a warning shot to studios and theater owners that Netflix is targeting a big chunk of the $38.6 billion global box office. To underscore the commitment, the company has already ordered a sequel with Smith signed on.

:getin:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alterian posted:

If you thought the Hellboy movies were entertaining, you'll probably like Bright well enough.

Bright is Lethal Weapon + Hellboy and the more I think about it, the more I like it. I even watched it again last night.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Bright wasn't half bad...

wasn't half good either though

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching Sahara on Netflix...

Why exactly is this film despised but National Treasure liked? Is Cage really more likeable than McConaughey?

TheNewt fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 25, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheNewt posted:

I'm watching Safari on Netflix...

Why exactly is this film despised but National Treasure liked? Is Cage really more likeable than McConaughey?

You mean Sahara? Breck Eisner is not going to get confused for a good director anytime soon. (Not that Turteltaub is any great shakes, either, but he can produce some enjoyable fluff.)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I watched Bright last night. It wasn't as bad as people say, but it's full of plot holes and bad parts.

For example, If the elves have magic, why is society similar to how it is now? Why don't elves just wish for an infinite energy supply or luxurious gay space communism to become a reality? In a world where magic exists, technology shouldn't be as strong. Also why did the Orc clan treat Jacoby like Jesus when he came back from the dead? They saw that he was brought back to life by magic by the elf girl. SO where's the miracle? Also, why does everyone want the wand if they know there is only .000000001% chance that they won't instantly explode if they touch it? Why didn't Ward and Jacoby just let the gang banger have the wand so that he can grab it, explode, and then they could just take the wand back?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

TheNewt posted:

I'm watching Sahara on Netflix...

I don't know? :shrug: I like Sahara too.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

I watched Bright last night. It wasn't as bad as people say, but it's full of plot holes and bad parts.

For example, If the elves have magic, why is society similar to how it is now? Why don't elves just wish for an infinite energy supply or luxurious gay space communism to become a reality? In a world where magic exists, technology shouldn't be as strong. Also why did the Orc clan treat Jacoby like Jesus when he came back from the dead? They saw that he was brought back to life by magic by the elf girl. SO where's the miracle? Also, why does everyone want the wand if they know there is only .000000001% chance that they won't instantly explode if they touch it? Why didn't Ward and Jacoby just let the gang banger have the wand so that he can grab it, explode, and then they could just take the wand back?

Probably something along the lines of "Why don't rich people kill us all off?" They address it while interrogating the hobo--"most brights are elves, and elves control the world." Since the wand in the movie is such a big deal, and there are government agents hell bent on tracking them down, it sounds like they are super rare and therefore there's less opportunity for magic scrooge mcducks.

The ill-communicated "great prophecy," they just hint at it a few times without telling us what it's all about.

....I'd want it. Also, one of scarface's dudes might have had gloves or something so just tossing it to them would have been risky.

I thought the biggest holes were not telling us as much about jakoby as I would have liked, just sending the wife and daughter out of town at the beginning, sort of like "placeholder, they exist but we couldn't think of anything for them to do in this one," and basically everything having to do with the feds' interaction with the hobo

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Inspector Hound posted:

Probably something along the lines of "Why don't rich people kill us all off?" They address it while interrogating the hobo--"most brights are elves, and elves control the world." Since the wand in the movie is such a big deal, and there are government agents hell bent on tracking them down, it sounds like they are super rare and therefore there's less opportunity for magic scrooge mcducks.

I mean all it take for one to say "I wish for full communism now!" and that will be it.

Inspector Hound posted:

I thought the biggest holes were not telling us as much about jakoby as I would have liked, just sending the wife and daughter out of town at the beginning, sort of like "placeholder, they exist but we couldn't think of anything for them to do in this one," and basically everything having to do with the feds' interaction with the hobo

I agree. Jakoby's backstory is pretty much non-existent and the wife and child just were placeholders.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

It is, against all odds, much better than the original (but depends completely on having seen it)

Yeah it was pretty great. Not sure if I like it better than the original or not but against all odds it was a solid sequel.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bright felt like it was missing chemistry and a 2nd act

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Planet Earth II just went up on US Netflix.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Erebus posted:

Planet Earth II just went up on US Netflix.

gently caress YES

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

For example, If the elves have magic, why is society similar to how it is now? Why don't elves just wish for an infinite energy supply or luxurious gay space communism to become a reality? In a world where magic exists, technology shouldn't be as strong.

That's not really a plot hole. That's a conceit.

Maybe we would've learned more about Jakoby if it was about his first day on the job instead of Will Smith's return.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yeah, Bright wasn't as terrible as everyone is saying. It wasn't great, but my mom and I enjoyed watching it enough.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Timby posted:

You mean Sahara? Breck Eisner is not going to get confused for a good director anytime soon. (Not that Turteltaub is any great shakes, either, but he can produce some enjoyable fluff.)

Hey the Crazies remake was entertaining.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Tikka felt super-derivative of Leeloo Dallas Multipass. Right down to her being in the back of the car exclaiming things in her language during a chase.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Lycus posted:

Tikka felt super-derivative of Leeloo Dallas Multipass. Right down to her being in the back of the car exclaiming things in her language during a chase.

Yeah I had the same thought. There were more parallels to Fifth element that I noticed but I forgot them already

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It was so blatant I think it was intentional

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Ghost World is on STARZ and I really regret all the times I've missed watching this in the theater and on streaming. It's really good. It's a quirky indie feeling movie about quirky people but it's not just up its own rear end and cynical and smirky about all the characters, it has genuine affection for its main characters.

As to the poster who asked about movies that are good while working out: I just watched Wheelman from Netflix today while working out and it's perfect. I think seeing it in a theater or something would be annoying (it's mostly action that takes place in a car, but 99 percent of the drama comes from cell phone conversations and if I wasn't semi occupied/distracted by working out I think that part would have been more tiresome to me.

I actually feel like documentaries and documentary series, like the Ken Burns stuff on Vietnam, Civil War, WWII etc. are actually well suited for working out but that's me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Ghost World is loving fantastic