Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

WHOOPS posted:

playoffs require blood sacrifice, yes.

though really, it will depend on the results of today’s game. if the Eagles win/Panthers lose, the Vikings are locked at the #2 seed. in that case, i’m guessing most starters will only play the first half.

but if they have a chance at the #1 seed or still need to fight for the #2, the starters will play and likely murder poor mitch.

Okay so when you say “locked at #2” that means guaranteed in the playoffs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
they’re already guaranteed the playoffs by virtue of winning the NFC North division. that means they’ll get the #4 seed (out of 6) at minimum. final seeding is based on records and tiebreakers (if needed), which is why the outcomes of the Eagles and Panthers games matter. the Vikings want the #2 seed as it gives them a first round bye and shorter path to the Super Bowl.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wanna say the NBA thread had somebody make a nuclear apocalypse joke at the end of last season and a person grilled them about it for days at the start of the offseason thread

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I talk tons of poo poo during the season but now that the Pack will be watching from home,

Let's go the loving Vikings. NFC North Supremacy. Don't let me down in the playoffs.

E: you may be the only team left now that can prevent the disaster of yet another Patriots/Steelers super bowl win. I may hate you for 16 or 17 weeks a year but right now you can prevent the darkest timeline. Do it.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 24, 2017

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014
Don't we all wish for meteors instead of Pats wins? Nuclear holocaust is basically the same thing

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I feel like people root for the meteor if two teams they don't like make the superbowl. Regardless the whole topic of wishing for injuries, death, or nuclear holocausts is hilarious because they're mostly jokes and people shouldn't freak the gently caress out about them.

That one guy with that packer hate post really nailed it on the head I'm glad people are rooting for a nuclear holocaust if we win, it means were doing something right (or we've really hosed up)

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Dude even if you loving hate the Vikings like I do, wouldn't you rather see them pull off their first super bowl than see the pats or Steelers get their zillionth?

gently caress, paint me purple and put horns on my head. And wings on my back. Neither the Eagles nor the Vikings have ever won a super bowl. Lack of Wentz has scared me away from the Eagles. I think the Vikings or maaaaaaaaaybe the Rams are our best shot right now.

But you know what I really want? JAGS ALL DAY ERRYDAY BITCH

Seriously. I'm rooting for the Jaguars so hard it hurts. This may be a serious condition that requires medical attention.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 24, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fenrir posted:

Dude even if you loving hate the Vikings like I do, wouldn't you rather see them pull off their first super bowl than see the pats or Steelers get their zillionth?

gently caress, paint me purple and put horns on my head. And wings on my back. Neither the Eagles nor the Vikings have ever won a super bowl. Lack of Wentz has scared me away from the Eagles. I think the Vikings or maaaaaaaaaybe the Rams are our best shot right now.

But you know what I really want? JAGS ALL DAY ERRYDAY BITCH

it's going to be vikings eagles jags pats in the conference champs and the pats will win again

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I’ve never really cared about the Vikings one way or another except that I hate the loving gjallarhorn

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
A Vikings/Jags super bowl is still possible and until it isn't, you bastards can't take my dreams away.

E: I'm probably gonna catch poo poo from other Pack fans. Don't caaaaaaaare.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 24, 2017

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
i was very Go Pack Go when the alternative was Ben Roethlisberger getting another ring so i can appreciate anti-Pats support. also if one swings their support to Jacksonville should they make it.

Jags/Vikes is my ideal cause i wouldn’t feel as mad about losing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I will be happy with literally anyone but the Pats

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Soothing Vapors posted:

I will be happy with literally anyone but the Pats or Steelers

Fixed that for you, SV. You know I love you <3

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
thx u for the correction, gently caress them both <3

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

it's going to be vikings eagles jags pats in the conference champs and the pats will win again

No. Just no. Let me believe for a little bit longer that it won't be the Patriots this time. Let me believe in anything else. I know it won't last and I feel the inevitable hand of doom coming up from the crust of the earth, the claw of satan himself with Tom Brady standing tall upon the middle finger. I know what's about to happen.

Give me what little time I have to enjoy my cognitive dissonance. I know it will collapse and I accept that, but let me believe for just a little bit longer.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/944308478297780224

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

not sure if i'm less excited to explain to my bougie miami-area family who blake bortles is, or how blockchain works, this Holiday Season

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
haha

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21863467/teams-complain-nfl-green-bay-packers-violated-ir-rule-think-aaron-rodgers-released

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

So in the unlikely event this does happen, who claims him?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Anti-Hero posted:

So in the unlikely event this does happen, who claims him?

The Packers, because he would only be released when he's healthy, which would be in the new league year, so he wouldn't be subject to waivers.

There's an outside chance that Rodgers refuses to resign with the Packers if they keep McCarthy and his flunkies. In that case, he'd probably go to a team with the following: 1) $30 million in cap space 2) A good defense 3) Playoff bound 4) No long-term answer at quarterback

So, the Jaguars

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Go the loving Jaguars, bitches.

Failing that, I guess go the Vikings so people hate them as much as the Seahawks when they turn insufferable.

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Packers, because he would only be released when he's healthy, which would be in the new league year, so he wouldn't be subject to waivers.

There's an outside chance that Rodgers refuses to resign with the Packers if they keep McCarthy and his flunkies. In that case, he'd probably go to a team with the following: 1) $30 million in cap space 2) A good defense 3) Playoff bound 4) No long-term answer at quarterback

So, the Jaguars

The only way Rodgers would walk is if he is released or the team refuses to extend him. In either case, the entire front office and coaching staff would be gone the next day.

This isn't Old Man Farve on the downslope of his career here. One bad game coming back from an injury early isn't an indicator of where he's at.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 24, 2017

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Fully on board the Jaguars train. :getin:

Most I’ve cared about the Jags since running up triple digit scores in NFL video games with Fred Taylor and Mark Brunell.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This Barclay guy is the worst lineman of all time

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hope they fire Jim right now.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Lions won't still be in contention by week 17

:smug:

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Danny LaFever posted:

Hope they fire Jim right now.

Yeah, I'm fine with letting him go.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can someone photoshop pig poop balls so that the poop is the Lions logo? I'm not saying I'd buy it as an avatar but I would think about it.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I gave up on the Lions when they laid a turd on Thanksgiving, but the Bengals are a bad football team, and in a must-win game. The Lions were terrible in all aspects of the game. GTFO Jim.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My dad will be dead before the Lions win a playoff game again.

Probably my mom too.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bears literally beat the entire AFC north, crown their rear end

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

C-Euro posted:

My dad will be dead before the Lions win a playoff game again.

Probably my mom too.

We'll all be dead long before this happens

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well, this feels pretty bad, but at least it's not as hard as it is for Packers fans, who have to wake up every day knowing that they have a bad defensive coordinator.

I can't imagine what that feels like.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

All of us will be dead before the Lions win a playoff game again.

Probably the sun too.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
CJ, I've been wondering something for most of this year and now that the Lions are eliminated, I'm gonna go ahead and ask.

Why do you take so much smug catharsis in the failure of a franchise that has zero connection to yours, that's never done anything but fail?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VJeff posted:

Well, this feels pretty bad, but at least it's not as hard as it is for Packers fans, who have to wake up every day knowing that they have a bad defensive coordinator.

I can't imagine what that feels like.

Counterpoint: Rodgers beat the Bengals for the first time ever this year.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

CJ, I've been wondering something for most of this year and now that the Lions are eliminated, I'm gonna go ahead and ask.

Why do you take so much smug catharsis in the failure of a franchise that has zero connection to yours, that's never done anything but fail?

Megatron was my second-favorite player to watch (Flacco being #1, and yes I know that's sad). One of the biggest things I wanted out of this sport while I was a diehard fan was to see him get a ring

He didn't even get a playoff win, and the first thing the team did after he left was say that now they could focus on plans for multiple receivers

Schadenfreude's all I have now

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Told my dad today that the only times I watch the Lions is when I'm visiting family and he said that he was proud of me :unsmith:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I wanted Megatron to come to Green Bay

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

going to be a lonely christmas for the loved ones of the people at soldier field today who were all immediately hauled off for psychological monitoring after sitting in a snowstorm to watch the literal bears and browns play footbakk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I went to the movies and missed the Bears beating the browns and now I'm sad :(

• Locked thread