Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

il_cornuto posted:

If you like Uplink, Hacknet is a more linear, puzzleish based take on hacking that has a really cool feel. It's currently 50% off.

speaking of, I've got 2 keys for Hacknet available if anyone's interested. send me a message on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/strait_thizzin/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Planning on making one more "big" purchase (I'll probably buy a bunch of 49¢ games still this sale tho), I really loved South Park 1 RE7, and the Tomb Raider remake, in roughly that order of enamoration.

Whaddaya got, sales thread?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my wishlist sucks theres only like 1 thing i am excited to buy right now (its tangledeep) and other stuff is like "eh, maybe...i guess...."

i need to stop adding things where i think "yeah maybe ill buy that at like 75% off" because almost nothing goes that low anymore

e: maybe ill just buy hat in time at 20%

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 23, 2017

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is the Elder Scrolls Online fun, and if it is which of the 10 options should I buy?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Andrast posted:

I don't think it matters what the developers intended for the system to do if the end result is players feeling like they are being punished for having fun in the game. That will always get a negative response. It's kind of irrelevant whether it actually is punishment or not.

I've always been fascinated by the strong dislike of the chaos system. My two thoughts are that A) A lot of the raw appeal of 0451 games is constantly getting one over on the game, so having the game respond with "nice try, have some more guards" goes against that. And B) The system is fundamentally lopsided in that there isn't really a neutral point that you push towards decency or chaos; low chaos moreso preserves the status quo while indiscriminate slaughter makes everything worse. This extends to the gameplay where the low chaos enemy layouts are functionally the default while high chaos is harder. And it has to work that way in order to maintain a reasonable challenge for stealth.

I wonder exactly how different it works in 2. Not only does it add another axis so that non-lethal and stealth are no longer tied together, but I read that NPC deaths are re-weighted such that killing civilians is still chaos as gently caress, but shooting a fucker that nobody liked and already pretty much wanted dead inflicts a far smaller penalty.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Planning on making one more "big" purchase (I'll probably buy a bunch of 49¢ games still this sale tho), I really loved South Park 1 RE7, and the Tomb Raider remake, in roughly that order of enamoration.

Hellblade is one of my favorite games of the year but it's unique and hard to recommend for everyone. It's very much like a Silent Hill 2 or SotC in that everything works in service to the story and atmosphere over the actual gameplay. I think it's brilliant though.

If you liked TR2013 you will probably enjoy Rise of the Tomb Raider, it's more of the same with refined combat, better tombs, and a lackluster main story. Also still probably the best-looking game money can buy.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
How does Planescape Torment play on a tv using the steam controller? Very awkwardly or only a little bit awkwardly?

e: wait, I already have BG2 on Steam. It'll probably handle as well as that.

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 23, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Tales of Berseria is good, right?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Elizabeth Mills posted:

I got Nex Machina, Cryptark, and Monolith because apparently I can't get enough twin stick action.

Now I'm thinking of getting Salt and Sanctuary.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Yes though Velvet's default costume after the prologue is kinda eh. Good thing you can also just stick her in a different costume immediately.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It's probably the best Tales of game, if that series is familiar. If you like them, then hell yes buy it. Otherwise, be warned it is extremely anime and the characters can get to your nerves at first. They do get better once they start having more interactions between each other. The battle system works well and carries the game through the extremely boring and monotonous dungeons.

Remember to grab the free dlcs that give you free crafting materials among other things. Nothing gamebreaking, just stuff that cuts the need to farm later on. Very handy.

If you want more costumes, I recommend the pirate dlc. The outfits look really good and fit the game style well. It's all cosmetic though and costs real money.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Steam switched all my prices to local currency from usd.

The switch was done really badly with like dark souls 3 inexplicably becoming $90 pre sale, but some $40 games becoming $20

I have no idea who sets this or handles the conversions

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Mr E posted:

Is the Elder Scrolls Online fun, and if it is which of the 10 options should I buy?

I have tamriel unlimited if you want it

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Xander77 gifted Shadow Blade: Reload to me yesterday for his birthday so here are some impressions:

- It has a very XBLA-made-in-Unity aesthetic
- It may have cutscenes:

- Combat is not great

Despite that, it actually has pretty compelling platforming. Movement has very generous double-jumps and dashes. Once I started trying to get through levels fast instead of bothering to kill enemies, I found myself having some decent fun and played through all of chapter 1.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Laputanmachine posted:

It's probably the best Tales of game, if that series is familiar. If you like them, then hell yes buy it. Otherwise, be warned it is extremely anime and the characters can get to your nerves at first. They do get better once they start having more interactions between each other. The battle system works well and carries the game through the extremely boring and monotonous dungeons.

Remember to grab the free dlcs that give you free crafting materials among other things. Nothing gamebreaking, just stuff that cuts the need to farm later on. Very handy.

If you want more costumes, I recommend the pirate dlc. The outfits look really good and fit the game style well. It's all cosmetic though and costs real money.

Yeah, I really liked Tales of Symphonia when it came out, but besides playing a little of Vesperia I haven't played any other game in the series but it sounds like Berseria is a good one to go to.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Well, tried Planet Coaster and was immediately reminded that while I love the idea of construction games like that, I just don't have the mind or patience for them. So hopefully Steam hasn't cracked down on returns or made them more difficult to get, because I'm hoping to trade up for maybe Watch_Dogs 2 or something.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Well, tried Planet Coaster and was immediately reminded that while I love the idea of construction games like that, I just don't have the mind or patience for them. So hopefully Steam hasn't cracked down on returns or made them more difficult to get, because I'm hoping to trade up for maybe Watch_Dogs 2 or something.

I'm in the same boat. I hope that teased Jurassic World park building game gets made since then you always have the option then of just letting the dinos run amok and eat everyone.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Remember back in the day when sale threads had hundreds of posts in minutes all day long? :rip: dead gay forums.

King Vidiot posted:

Same rules as before and they will refund you without asking questions if you fulfill the requirements.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mystic Stylez posted:

Remember back in the day when sale threads had hundreds of posts in minutes all day long? :rip: dead gay forums.

It's not just the dead forums though, getting rid of daily deals and stuff just means you either buy the thing you wanted right away or don't when the sale starts. Most of those posts were questions about the daily deals, if they were worth buying or not.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah, also it seems like between steam and other storefronts decent sales are happening more often, making it feel less important to stock up during the 2 big sales a year.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Away all Goats posted:

It's not just the dead forums though, getting rid of daily deals and stuff just means you either buy the thing you wanted right away or don't when the sale starts. Most of those posts were questions about the daily deals, if they were worth buying or not.
pretty much

i'm nostalgic and miss the steam coal-days. it was a broken thing but a cool idea and the indie game scene was much smaller so pretty much every big indie game was in on it with xmas updates and stuff. plus tf2 was still good then

refunds are pretty nice though

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I refuse on general principle to be nostalgic for anything after the year 1999, but I admit old-school Steam Sales were pretty amazing times.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I bought Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire from GOG for $2 for the stake of nostalgia.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

The X-com 2 expansion, does it just overlay on the base game like the first expansion for original X-com did? I never played 2.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
How's Card City Nights 2 for someone who stopped playing the first one because they hit a wall in difficulty?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How is Forts?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Elizabeth Mills posted:

(I'll probably buy a bunch of 49¢ games still this sale tho)

I hope you post about those too when you do! I'm mostly looking for cheap hidden gems rather than big titles and it's good to see what others are finding.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Steam switched all my prices to local currency from usd.

The switch was done really badly with like dark souls 3 inexplicably becoming $90 pre sale, but some $40 games becoming $20

I have no idea who sets this or handles the conversions

The publishers set the prices, but if I recall correctly Valve sent them recommendations for each currency and many of them just rolled with that. In my region Capcom and Bethesda raised everything by 20-30% thus ensuring that I will never buy their games on Steam. Most indie titles went up by 5%, which isn't too bad but basically unless it's a really cheap title where the markup translates to a few cents I'm better off buying on Humble or other stores. I finally got Stardew Valley and Hollow Knight this sale but bought them both on HB. Basically all Valve did was ensure they now get less money from me. :\

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Evil Canadian posted:

The X-com 2 expansion, does it just overlay on the base game like the first expansion for original X-com did? I never played 2.

Yes it just adds more stuff to the main campaign

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Away all Goats posted:

You're forgetting fantastic posts like "Shoot-em ups are my favourite genre ever and Crimzon Clover looks amazing and is $2 with an Overwhelmingly Positive rating after 700 reviews OH GOD SHOULD I BUY IT I'VE GOT NOTHING TO GO ON"

I, however, would like to bitch into the void about developers who discount the main game but not their worth-3x-more-than-the-base-game-at-full-price DLC collections gently caress you KOEI TECMO I want to dress up all my Dynasty Warriors 8 characters like morons but I'm not paying $21 for that.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Evil Canadian posted:

It overlays and adds an entirely new game. Play the base game first, but realize that the expansion is a new beast...
It is basically an entirely new game and well worth the money.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there are so many sales on all storefronts and prices either have been the same for several sales or people already have all the games they want. Plus the gifting ban has killed it for many people I guess. I used to get great discounts with the help of goodness in the US, and we had a lot of people offering their help to others and thank you'd when that was still a thing.
RIP Holiday spirit, thanks Ogaben.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

John Murdoch posted:

I've always been fascinated by the strong dislike of the chaos system. My two thoughts are that A) A lot of the raw appeal of 0451 games is constantly getting one over on the game, so having the game respond with "nice try, have some more guards" goes against that.

I don't think this is so much of a problem since the gameplay styles that push chaos higher are more aggressive anyway, so it felt more to me like "okay, you enjoy combat, have more guards to fight." I think the thing people didn't appreciate was having the game pass moral judgement on them by having so called "high chaos" versions of levels feel like the might as well just have been called "evil mode." If instead they'd taken a more revolutionary tone where killing guards got the citizens riled up and more openly rebellious against the usurpers it probably would've upset people less.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

I think the thing people didn't appreciate was having the game pass moral judgement on them by having so called "high chaos" versions of levels feel like the might as well just have been called "evil mode."

The boatman - Samuel? - calls you out in the first Dishonored for being a bloodthirsty monster, *because of all the monstrous, bloodthirsty things you did up to that point*, even with the less bloody options available to you. It's a testament to the open(ish)-ness of the game that you can then slaughter Sam before he alerts everyone on the island that you're there, but it kind of proves his point about you being a selfish murder-lord just like the rest of your band of outlaws.

"I'm not a bad guy, stop calling me a bad guy :mad:" *straps a razorwire mine to a rat, possesses the rat and drives it into a trio of watchmen* "I'm a good guy" *pauses time, steers remaining watchmen into each others' bullets*

The game's moral judgements aren't perfect, as acknowledged by the devs - poor Lady Boyle - but complaining about Sam being a big meanie to you because of what you did seems, I dunno, hypocritical.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm not saying that it was wrong to say that going lethal was morally wrong in the context of the game world, I'm saying that building the game so that the lethal stuff is fun and all designing the marketing so that it shows off all the cool stuff that you can do with the lethal tools, and then naming the reactivity a neutral sounding "chaos system" set people up with certain expectations that were betrayed when it actually wound up being the standard black and white "murder is bad" morality instead.

As a comparison, no one complained about Undertale telling you that you were an rear end in a top hat for killing people.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 24, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Keeshhound posted:

I'm not saying that it was wrong to say that going lethal was morally wrong in the context of the game world, I'm saying that building the game so that the lethal stuff is fun and all designing the marketing so that it shows off all the cool stuff that you can do with the lethal tools, and then naming the reactivity a neutral sounding "chaos system" set people up with certain expectations that were betrayed when it actually wound up being the standard black and white "murder is bad" morality instead.

As a comparison, no one complained about Undertale telling you that you were an rear end in a top hat for killing people.
You need to kill lots and lots and lots of people to actually change things in Dishonored.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Does anyone have experience with Voidu? They have some good discounts but I've never heard of them before.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Nuramor posted:

Does anyone have experience with Voidu? They have some good discounts but I've never heard of them before.

They are greenlisted on isthereanydeal and the gamedeals reddit, so go ahead.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Let's take advantage of the thread being slow to poo poo it up a bit.

I have ~US$ 20 left on my gaming budget, give or take, and can't decide on what to get.

This is my shortlist (prices in USD)
pre:
Dark Souls 3            9.1
Dark Souls 3 + DLC     23.1
Blades of the Shogun   12.3
XCOM2	                9.3
War of the Chosen      18.1
I could stretch the budget a bit to get DS3+DLC, but XCOM2+WOTC is just a over the upper range of what I'd like to spend, tbh.

I you're bored enough to take a look at my wishlist and suggest something else, by all means go ahead, I'd appreciate any input. Prices are different in my region though, but the only things in there over 25 are rear end Origins, Automata and Nioh. (I played Hellblade on a friend's PS4, it's on the list because I'd like to get it eventually, but it's not a priority.)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

On the other hand I love how the game calls out that most people are probably too cowardly for doing the genocide run but would watch it on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Edmond Dantes posted:

Let's take advantage of the thread being slow to poo poo it up a bit.

I have ~US$ 20 left on my gaming budget, give or take, and can't decide on what to get.

This is my shortlist (prices in USD)
pre:
Dark Souls 3            9.1
Dark Souls 3 + DLC     23.1
Blades of the Shogun   12.3
XCOM2	                9.3
War of the Chosen      18.1
I could stretch the budget a bit to get DS3+DLC, but XCOM2+WOTC is just a over the upper range of what I'd like to spend, tbh.

I you're bored enough to take a look at my wishlist and suggest something else, by all means go ahead, I'd appreciate any input. Prices are different in my region though, but the only things in there over 25 are rear end Origins, Automata and Nioh. (I played Hellblade on a friend's PS4, it's on the list because I'd like to get it eventually, but it's not a priority.)

Caves of Qud and Cogmind are insanely good if you like that genre! Caves of Qud alone will take hours and hours of your life as you learn how to be a good mutant gunslinger who shoots lasers from her eyes.

• Locked thread