Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Outrail posted:

I bet that principal felt like a shitheel after that... Nah, self righteous assholes don't feel guilt.

I have a lot of stories like that. In retrospect I think she was a narcissistic or had some other sort of serious personality disorder.

She knew he was sick, just claimed to not know he was "that sick".

Keep in mind this is a kid who's mom carried a pager in case a liver came in when she was helpiung out the cub scout troop. We all knew.

She actually died recently. I was tempted to go to the funeral but there was no viewing. Apparently she died with no family and not many assets so they couldn't afford a normal funeral?

gently caress her.

that's dark.

i like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
*pushes up administrative glasses*

I mean how can we really be sure? Based on what you’ve told us, it sounds as though it could just as easily have been starvation.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

welcome to hell posted:

My brother (27M) is super focused on rules, and won’t let up, even with my (31F) son’s (5M) anxiety

quote:

I told him that my son needed to sit with me sometimes, and he just said, “The kids stay at the kids table.” I kept trying to argue it, but he just kept doing it until he was yelling again, and I had to give up.

quote:

Adam told me he “knows I’m a rule breaker,” and said my son can’t turn out like me if I intend for him to be a successful human.

Lol what a broken piece of garbage.

:sever: and tell him about the rule "You don't speak to me again."

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

I lied. I'm not sick and neither is my mother.

quote:

My family always holds a Christmas lunch on the 24th. I planned on going with my girlfriend but I just told my mom that I'm too sick to come and I told my girlfriend that it was called off because my mom is too sick. The truth is that I lied to both of them.
My girlfriend and I have been together for almost 18 months now. I've had several relationships before but none of them have been all that serious and although I'm 30 now, I've never introduced a girlfriend to my family—to my mothers dismay. It may not seem like a big deal to some people but it is really difficult for me to let people into my private life so it's a big step for me. Last year we'd only been together for about 6 months and I just wasn't comfortable introducing her to my family. This year I was all set to do it at Christmas lunch, but last week I found out that she lied to me about her past.
When we first got together we talked about our past relationships and she told me that she'd been with two other guys before me. Obviously I'd prefer that it was zero but I was able to push it to the back of my mind. Anyway, last week I found out from one of her friends that she used to be quite promiscuous and she slept with a lot of men before we were together. I asked her about it and she confirmed this information.
We haven't talked about it because I don't really know what to say to her. This is a big issue for me but I don't want to upset her by calling her names or anything like that so I just need some time to mull over my thoughts before we have a proper conversation. I know that some people are going to say that her past doesn't matter, but it does... There's a reason that banks look at your credit rating before giving you a loan—because your past behavior is both indicative of your character and predictive of your future behavior. I'm pretty upset at her for lying to me and I'm seriously considering breaking up with her but as I said we haven't talked about it properly so I'm not sure yet. All I know is that it was a mistake for me to think that it was appropriate to introduce her to my family at this point in time; we're just not there yet and given what I've learned about her it's possible that we never will be.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wrenever posted:

What a loving crybaby bitch loser. Well I've had previous relationships, b-b-but I learned my girlfriend has too! I wanted a virgin, not some whore! CHRISTMAS IS CANCELLED!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE LIED TO ME!

*lies to her*

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He's also thirty so finding a girl that means that criteria is going to get harder unless he goes young.

He more than likely goes young.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I feel dumb asking this, but I read an r/relationship landmine about a SAHM of 3, the husband and wife both agreed to not exchange gifts due to being a bit strapped/focus on the kids (but the MIL sent a big check in Dec).

However! The hubby would come home with office Christmas gifts and Flash them off and ignored his kids asking 'what about a gift for Mom?!' And I guess he'd either open or show-off the work-based gifts while the kids ripped open theirs and the (obviously very sad, very lonely, unappreciated SAHM) just kinda... sat there. He treated her like she was being a nag by storming out of the house and p much tossing a bag of ice cream and soda at her and saying 'don't say I never gave you a gift'.

Sorry for the summary, but either it got deleted or I'm terrible at figuring out how the reddit search function works. I saw it a few days ago, and trying to find it again, nothing. I felt bad for her and like, if you have 3 kids, are you not AT LEAST bothering to organizing the kids to make a bunch of loving drawings or like those gold-sprayed macaroni art things kids made in the 80s?!

I guess some people just suck at the idea of no gifts means not spending money. My dad helped me make gifts for my mother. One year I made a bookmark. After she passed when I was an adult, I found it and was partially like 'what the gently caress, Pom-poms means it would have never worked; but was also like 'oh she kept it for 20 years!'

So that no-effort dad sucks; at least let the kids 'buy'/make the mom some gifts. Personal experience; even if it's a lovely/impractible gift; HELP THEM MAKE MOM A GIFT

E: GBS, help me find this post again; I feel like I'm going mad or just stupid at trying to relocate it after reading it and can't find it

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 24, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

dudeness posted:

SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE LIED TO ME!

*lies to her*

Did anyone bring up this extremely obvious point?

Also lol at people who get butt hurt over their girlfriend not being a pure as driven snow. It's 2017dickhead, people like to gently caress and it's good to be with someone who likes to gently caress.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Outrail posted:

Also lol at people who get butt hurt over their girlfriend not being a pure as driven snow. It's 2017dickhead, people like to gently caress and it's good to be with someone who likes to gently caress.

NO! ONLY A PERSON WHO HAS NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND WILL BE SELF CONSCIOUS THROUGHOUT WILL DO!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

welcome to hell posted:

My brother (27M) is super focused on rules, and won’t let up, even with my (31F) son’s (5M) anxiety

I don't know the lady equivalent, but if my sibling said 20% of poo poo to me let alone my child, I think I might have immediately violated one of the obvious rules like "no expressing distaste by immediately turning around and peeing on the kitchen floor".

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Outrail posted:

They don't want to be compared and found wanting.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't know the lady equivalent, but if my sibling said 20% of poo poo to me let alone my child, I think I might have immediately violated one of the obvious rules like "no expressing distaste by immediately turning around and peeing on the kitchen floor".

I wonder what the rule is regarding murder.

sabbathi
Sep 20, 2017

maskenfreiheit posted:

My [F22] bf [M23] says me watching crime shows is annoying and means I like drama?

this reads like a control thing, literally nobody gives a poo poo about any of that. the "says a lot about you" portion is super loving ugly

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

They don't want to be compared and found wanting.
It's such a timeless self fulfilling prophecy I'm surprised there isn't a Shakespeare tragedy about it. The Rage of the Bull or something.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 24, 2017

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

welcome to hell posted:

man the follow up comments are pretty :stare:

quote:

HanabinoOto
So you just... let him tell at your 5 year old without yelling back?

hhahhh65 (OP)
Escalating with my brother doesn’t accomplish anything. He’ll shut down, or try to match my tone or aggression. Either way, nobody wins and the situation can get rockier. It doesn’t become violent but he starts to hurt himself- pulls his hair, scratches at his skin, etc.- and will start screeching. All I could do was remove my son from the situation, and try to get him to a more reasonable mindset later. Adam is very difficult to argue with.

this guy is a practicing paediatric doctor

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I guess they just never go to his house again.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

A Spherical Sponge posted:

man the follow up comments are pretty :stare:

this guy is a practicing paediatric doctor

The autistic screeching meme brought to horrible life.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If that's real then the OP really is dumb as poo poo jfc what does she do for a living?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Wrenever posted:

So he thinks because she’s hosed in the past she’ll gently caress in the future? 🤔

Isn’t that a good thing? Nothing sucks worse than women who demand commitment before sex then 🎉surprise🎉: she’s got a tiny pea sized libido and will pitch a fit if you want sex more than once every two weeks then when you break up because you’re not sexually compatible will tell all your friends you “used her” and “only want sex” and you’re a terrible person :smith:

OP found a GF who fucks - you hold onto that!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

So he thinks because she’s hosed in the past she’ll gently caress in the future? 🤔

Isn’t that a good thing? Nothing sucks worse than women who demand commitment before sex then 🎉surprise🎉: she’s got a tiny pea sized libido and will pitch a fit if you want sex more than once every two weeks then when you break up because you’re not sexually compatible will tell all your friends you “used her” and “only want sex” and you’re a terrible person :smith:

if your girlfriend has hosed she'll know you're bad at loving and getting better at loving isn't an option if you're a selfish rear end

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

if your girlfriend has hosed she'll know you're bad at loving and getting better at loving isn't an option if you're a selfish rear end

i think im terrible at loving but i am willing to go down and apparently that's rare enough i'm not bad anymore? :shrug:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

some people are just bad at loving. luck of the draw I guess

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To become a sexpert is easy, it just takes 10,000 hours of practice. The hard part of course is getting to 10,000 hours while also putting up 4,000+ points in a season, 100 points in a game, and being a 13 time NBA all star.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

mind the walrus posted:

If that's real then the OP really is dumb as poo poo

Finally, a thread title so broadly applicable no one will ever ask what story it came from.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

To become a sexpert is easy, it just takes 10,000 hours of practice. The hard part of course is getting to 10,000 hours while also putting up 4,000+ points in a season, 100 points in a game, and being a 13 time NBA all star.

i practice when im alone

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Khazar-khum posted:

I wonder what the rule is regarding murder.

"No stabbing in the kitchen"
*schit*
"No stabbing in the kitchen!"
*schit*
"NO STABBING IN THE KITCHEN!"
*schit schit*
"NO *guhhht* STABBING IN the *wheeze* kitchen"
*schit*
"No... No.. Stabbing in the *hurk* in the ki... ki... kitchen!"
*poo poo schit schit schit schit*

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Because it's Christmas, I'll play devil's advocate:

Is there a number where it starts to matter? Like, over 100? Over 1,000? 10,000!?!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

blarzgh posted:

Is there a number where it starts to matter? Like, over 100? Over 1,000? 10,000!?!

i don't know where the line is but i feel like by 10,000 the whole thing's flipped and i start admiring the amount of dedication that must have been involved

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

I mean, if you run the numbers and you get something where you either have to conclude that she’s had a different sexual partner literally every day since she turned 18 or that she’s been constantly having three ways for the last five years, then I think concern is fine.

Although even in that case it’s not really the number itself per se.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

fruit on the bottom posted:

Although even in that case it’s not really the number itself per se.

It's never the actual number, it's either a) crushing, adolescent insecurity, b) this person clearly doesn't feel the same way about sex as I do or c) uhh, do/did they have some kind of mental issue?!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
please do not ruin barudak's joke

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

I have to. It’s better than any of mine.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

sabbathi posted:

this reads like a control thing, literally nobody gives a poo poo about any of that. the "says a lot about you" portion is super loving ugly
It could be or she's just unaware of how obsessed she is with this stuff. She says she's not obsessed and it's just an interest and doesn't dictate her life in the same way an alcoholic says it's just a few drinks and not a big deal.

quote:

I binge watch Crime Watch
I spent hours on TruTv’s crime library
It’s just an interest...idk. Just stuff I like to look at on my free time? I guess these interests inspired my career path of psychiatry
I was trying to get him to watch an episode of Crime Watch with me. He pauses it halfway and says, “Why am I watching this?” And I just respond with, “Idk, look how much of a sociopath this guy is. It’s crazy!”
I get the sense she spends the average 5 hours a day watching these shows and the rest of the day talking about how crazy these people and situations are.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

maskenfreiheit posted:

[33/f] who would like her boyfriends to stop forcing sex. (self.relationship_advice)

:stare:

Catching up, just wanted to say that yeah this is common. Ok see you guys when I'm all the way caught up

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pick posted:

no joke any of us could ever make about that story would top comparing your girlfriend's vag to her credit history and your dick to a bank loan

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Brother Entropy posted:

no joke any of us could ever make about that story would top comparing your girlfriend's vag to her credit history and your dick to a bank loan

There's a joke regarding foreclosures and the financial crisis there somewhere.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Does having someone come in and gently caress your girlfriend count as a credit default swap?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

maskenfreiheit posted:

Whether or not she wants to have sex is not a thing he cares about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I [32F] am frustrated with the gender dynamics at my in-laws’ [30-60 M/F]

quote:

I’ve been with my husband [32M] for about a decade, so I know his family pretty well. And I love them; they’re great. But I’ve grown frustrated with how gender dynamics play out when we’re with them for the holidays. I don’t know if I should suck it up and try to enjoy our time with them (we only see them for a week or two a year, because we live far away), or if I should make myself annoying by addressing it.

I’ll give a couple of examples. There’s an unspoken assumption that women will do most of the housework, like cooking and cleaning. The men will frequently help—loading the dishwasher, setting the table, etc.—but it is always under the guise of “helping” and is not expected. We divvy up the cooking by families, one family each night (there are four hetero couples), and almost always it is the woman half of the couple in the kitchen while her partner sits on the couch. My husband and I are the only exception: he does at least half of the housework both here and when we’re at home.

Another example is that when we’re all hanging out together—eating a meal, sitting in the living room, whatever—the men constantly talk over the women. (Again, my husband is mostly an exception, partly because I’ve pointed this out to him.) I’m certain that none of them realize that they’re doing it. But if a dude is telling a story or making a comment, he gets to tell it from beginning to end, whereas a woman is constantly cut off, interrupted, or just talked over by a man who feels that he, too, has something to share at that precise moment in conversation. (This latter example is particularly irritating to me, because I spent years at his family’s thinking that I was just super boring, because no one was listening to me, until it suddenly clicked a few years ago that they don’t listen to any of the women very closely.)

There are other examples, but I think that’s enough to give a sense of what I mean. The thing is, his family all ostensibly believes in equality between men and women! It’s something that they’ve even brought up over the years. So in some ways it’s more annoying, because we will have these occasional conversations about how women are treated poorly in some field or other, and then we’ll have dinner and all of these same assumptions are at play.

I don’t know what to do about this, if anything. His family already kind of sees me as a raging feminist (which I am, I suppose), and I feel like they would probably secretly roll their eyes if I pointed out some of the dynamics here. And I definitely don’t want to lecture them just for the sake of lecturing. But I don’t know if I want to just keep my mouth shut and deal with this for another few decades plus, especially because I think that probably his family would WANT to change if they became more aware of what was going on. I’m sure lots of Redditors have dealt with similar dynamics…does anyone have any suggestions?

TL;DR: My in-laws talk about gender equality while still talking over women and expecting them to do most of the housework, and I don't know what to do about it.

An Insufficiently Woke Christmas