Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just search their name instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

cosmicjim posted:

Lots of people don’t like the new map, including me. I’ll play it, but it’s worse than the old one.

The abundance of line-of-sight blocking terrain features and widely dispersed cover ruins my tree peekaboo endgame strategy. Varied maneuvering options and tactics are for scrubs, scope skills and solid camping fundamentals are what really matters. New map sucks brah!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
There are definitely some aspects of the new map I don't like, such as the amount of buildings in certain areas and the added height of some buildings, but that's more on me than the map itself. I can bust out the 5-8 kill winning rounds with some regularity, but I'm also a very cautious and sneaky player so forcing me into close fights with small angles cramps my natural playstyle.

The performance bump can't be denied, though, and I think I just need more time to adjust how I play rather than making GBS threads on the map.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Ive had the circle on the new map end on a bridgeless island twice. I scoured a long swath of coast and didnt find a boat. I had to SWIM.
I dont enjoy driving over stupid bumpy mountains if I dont want to take the road. The new map is drab and depressing looking.
The map feels more scope dependent than the first map.

I do not like these things. I apologize.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Carecat posted:

Feel like the Kar98 is going to eat a headshot nerf, seems like anyone will pick one up if available.

Not gonna happen. It would be even worse than the Winchester at that point.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VikingSkull posted:

There are definitely some aspects of the new map I don't like, such as the amount of buildings in certain areas and the added height of some buildings, but that's more on me than the map itself. I can bust out the 5-8 kill winning rounds with some regularity, but I'm also a very cautious and sneaky player so forcing me into close fights with small angles cramps my natural playstyle.

The performance bump can't be denied, though, and I think I just need more time to adjust how I play rather than making GBS threads on the map.

I think the use vertical space in the new map is the best part. But I too feel like there are less vehicles than on the old map, especially along the road. They just need to add weather to the new map and get the old map with weather back in a reasonable rotation.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So I call myself Mr. Potato and I was wondering if you guys would say that BF1 would be a good game to practice? Since I get like 1 or 2 fights a game it takes long to improve.
I tried CS:GO but it's not for me.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

daslog posted:

There are vehicles everywhere on the new map. I am baffled when people say they can't find one. Literally just run along any road and stop being a loot whore.

The no-vehicle thing does happen occasionally and it's very annoying when it does. Wosrt example I've run into is a duo round the other day:

Path is the green line, we dropped late at Del Mar with one other duo who we promptly killed. The circle was up in the far NE.

Zero vehicles in all of Del Mar, which is strange for a named town, so we ran the two red line routes along the roads and didn't see a single vehicle until we hit the towns where the circles are.

Other times there are buggies and busses every 50m along every road you look at.

There are also large swathes of the map where you'll need to get between two places that aren't connected by a road and if you didn't bring a vehicle with you, then enjoy your 5 minute jog through the desert.

I definitely like the new map though. The fights you can get into inside the towns with more high buildings and elevation are fun, and picking people off from on top of a cliff is entertaining. It's a nice change from the original map, but overall I'd say I still prefer the old one slightly.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

BCRock posted:

The no-vehicle thing does happen occasionally and it's very annoying when it does. Wosrt example I've run into is a duo round the other day:

I agree that vehicles are too sparse, but sometimes I suspect someone just took them. Parachutes don't always render, there are more people out there than you can see during the initial gameplay.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Gullous posted:

I agree that vehicles are too sparse, but sometimes I suspect someone just took them. Parachutes don't always render, there are more people out there than you can see during the initial gameplay.

Definitely true, but you can also watch replays now and I've done a couple of scans for vehicles/players I missed on the one-off rounds where we just can't find a car and there's definitely times where poo poo just doesn't spawn in a pretty large radius.

Not game breaking by any means and it happens rarely enough to barely matter, but it's insanely frustrating when it does happen.

I also think that having a narrow river that cut through Miramar down the middle N to S would be an interesting way to give water transport an actual use. I've played a lot since the new map went live and haven't once had a need to hop in a boat or jet ski.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Le0 posted:

So I call myself Mr. Potato and I was wondering if you guys would say that BF1 would be a good game to practice? Since I get like 1 or 2 fights a game it takes long to improve.
I tried CS:GO but it's not for me.

I'm in a similar boat, and dropping in at the school / hacienda isn't really translating to good practice as far as time efficiency goes (especially considering that's when the rubberbanding/lag is the worst).

I recently saw this "Aim Lab" listing on steam that looks promising, but doesn't look like it's publicly available yet. I went ahead and signed up for their beta though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the bad part about new map is it isn't 2/3 to 1/2 the size of the original.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

the bad part about new map is it isn't 2/3 to 1/2 the size of the original.

Yea, seems like they could have cut out some space on the new map and shrunk it a bit. Maybe the next map will be the smaller more Thunderdomey map

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
unless you jumped way into the middle of nowhere, you're probably just the last person/duo/squad leaving an area. The first squad leaving an area often will stop at every vehicle they see to drop someone off to scoop it up. 2-3 squads leaving an area like that will clean a whole corner of the map out of vehicles

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
just got stuck in pregame purgatory. Got up to about 40 people, then just sat there and people started slowly leaving

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Y’all. I’m playing and liking Fortnite, but the more realistic graphics of PUBG are pretty compelling. That said, I’m reading a ton of bad reviews on steam about bugginess.

Is it worth it to throw down $30 right now or should I wait a few weeks or a month or w/e for things to get sorted? Or is it mostly OK and online gamers are just picky babbies?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
as far as I can tell the vast majority of the big bugs have been fixed and the ones that are left are hilarious like the plane kicks everyone out right at the start of the flight and its madness.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CitizenKain posted:

Yea, seems like they could have cut out some space on the new map and shrunk it a bit. Maybe the next map will be the smaller more Thunderdomey map

There's not a single carspawn once you get out of the highway loop so if you (stupidly) drop Ruins you're going to be walking for a while.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Dangerllama posted:

Y’all. I’m playing and liking Fortnite, but the more realistic graphics of PUBG are pretty compelling. That said, I’m reading a ton of bad reviews on steam about bugginess.

Is it worth it to throw down $30 right now or should I wait a few weeks or a month or w/e for things to get sorted? Or is it mostly OK and online gamers are just picky babbies?
Check the date of the reviews. Anything older than a few days ago is people buying an early access game and getting pissed that it was an early access game. It’s much more polished now. Still some jankiness but-

Doorknob Slobber posted:

as far as I can tell the vast majority of the big bugs have been fixed and the ones that are left are hilarious like the plane kicks everyone out right at the start of the flight and its madness.

It’s mostly stuff like this which THEY BETTER LEAVE IN BECAUSE HOLY moly it’s amazing

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

Dangerllama posted:

It's totally buggy but it's also one of the most fun games you can play right now so it's definitely worth $30.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Dangerllama posted:

The team behind PUBG are just never going to match the kind of AAA polish that a studio like Epic is able to do, and truth be told even after 1.0 and officially leaving early access the game still has jank and bugs.

That said, it's mostly OK and many of the negative reviews are internet histrionics from babies with hundreds of hours of playtime, or people not understanding that they bought an unfinished game.

The game does have problems, like the ongoing effort against hackers, network hiccups/rubberbanding issues at match start, lobby interface bugs, physics jank that frequently hurts/kills you, and some lingering issues with client stability and overall polish, but the game is still fun and its astronomical financial success ensures that the developer is committed to long term support and refinement.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

The only real bug that can ruin a game that you should be aware of is the physics / collision detection going bonkers and exploding vehicals. IF AT ANY POINT YOU SEE A VIBRATING VEHICLE STAY AWAY FROM IT

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I love playing and watching this game. It's so much fun.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ResourcefulRudeHamsterRlyTho

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Scoss posted:

The team behind PUBG are just never going to match the kind of AAA polish that a studio like Epic is able to do

the game has already made an ungodly sum of money. it's made at least half a billion buckaroos. the fixes have been slower than they should be.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

the game has already made an ungodly sum of money. it's made at least half a billion buckaroos. the fixes have been slower than they should be.

You could have infinity dollars it won’t let you hire and train new developers any faster / make the existing ones any more effective. Their pace has been fine

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Most people in software development will tell you that simply throwing fistfuls of cash at a problem is often not a solution, and PlayerUnknown himself has remarked publicly multiple times how they have had a difficult time staffing up talent in Korea because all the best people are mostly interested in working on mobile games there.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
I like the new map because it’s different, but not necessarily better. I like the 20% of games on the old map, just to see a bit of green for a change.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Dangerllama posted:

As someone who has played a fair amount but not excessively so the past few months and is still pretty awful (ask any goon in Discord who's played with me), I would absolutely say YES. Bugginess is definitely there and there are some janky aspects - for example, last week I died trying to climb onto a bale of hay and there's a thousand other examples, mostly hilarious, that you can find on Twitch or YouTube. But they are improving consistently and while I don't know if I'd go so far as to say the randomness somehow makes it better but it does add something in its own way.

I remember way back when the so-called "Battlefield Moments," just something crazy happening you would tell others about - PUBG is like that, good and hilariously bad, quite often and it somehow burnishes its appeal. I tried Fortnite and while it is more polished in some ways but I also felt like the core gameplay/style wasn't close to matching PUBG, especially the tension, that makes this game so unique, despite it also being a Battle Royale-style game. And as someone else said, it's just really fun, despite the difficulty and frustration and janky elements.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

knees of putty posted:

I like the new map because it’s different, but not necessarily better. I like the 20% of games on the old map, just to see a bit of green for a change.

The visual aesthetic of the new map suits the style of gameplay much better than the original map I find. It feels desolate and post-apocalyptic, which is the type of environment I would imagine this type of game should exist in. For those of us (all of us probably?) who are always paranoid about being shot out of nowhere from 500m away while running across an open field, we should love the terrain undulations that allow you to get cover quickly even when there's very few trees around. There's actual strategy and tactics in those open area encounters, it's not just "say 3 Hail Mary's and pray you make it across this 500m of completely flat open field before someone sees you, because otherwise you're hosed" like what happens alot on Erangel.

And I like that there seems to be less (or more spread out) loot - it makes what you do find that much more valuable. It's supposed to be a survival game, being able drop and find a good AR and sniper with attachments, lvl 2 gear, a bunch of health and a UAZ within 3 mins like you can usually do on Erangel removes the "survival" element to a certain extent.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Man I've been away from home for a week and unable to play, just read 10+ pages of this thread to make due.

Can't wait to get back into this crazy poo poo next week.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Groovelord Neato posted:

This game will probably never be fully "fixed" and additional content will come out at a snails pace because it will sell gangbusters regardless.

I've been playing a bit for the past few days and while i don't find it terrible, there are just so many better multiplayer shootmans games out there that i find it hard to stay interested in what is a rather barebones, janky experience.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think this game is good simply because it is so drat open and a lot of unexpected stuff can happen. But it's mostly only good in squads

When I play alone it just feels like I roll the dice constantly, no matter how careful I am. I spend an eternity scanning some place and see nothing, then I run up to it and it turns out a dude was hiding behind a pixel somewhere and I get shot in the back and die

At least with squads your teammates can pick you back up when bullshit happens and there's time for your team to respond to stuff

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I still get crazy jitters and adrenaline any time I play alone. In squads it feels way more relaxed so I never lose my cool in firefights and actually play better.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My 64 year old father got second in his fourth game. He never shot or saw anyone and died to the circle

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

My 64 year old father got second in his fourth game. He never shot or saw anyone and died to the circle

:patriot:

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Zzulu posted:

I think this game is good simply because it is so drat open and a lot of unexpected stuff can happen. But it's mostly only good in squads

When I play alone it just feels like I roll the dice constantly, no matter how careful I am. I spend an eternity scanning some place and see nothing, then I run up to it and it turns out a dude was hiding behind a pixel somewhere and I get shot in the back and die

At least with squads your teammates can pick you back up when bullshit happens and there's time for your team to respond to stuff

There is also the fact that 1v1 fights are extremely random because of the constant lag, constant failure for hits to reg, and constant bugs. When you have a couple players you can at least mitigate this somewhat by being tactical. With 1v1 it's pretty much just a dice roll of which player is going to get the good graces of the RNG.

Also, multiple people can search more area for loot and so there is less chance of getting RNG hosed and getting no good weapons.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Goddamn 3 2nd place solo finishes in a row. Gettin chicken dinner blueballs

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

twig1919 posted:

There is also the fact that 1v1 fights are extremely random because of the constant lag, constant failure for hits to reg, and constant bugs. When you have a couple players you can at least mitigate this somewhat by being tactical. With 1v1 it's pretty much just a dice roll of which player is going to get the good graces of the RNG.

Also, multiple people can search more area for loot and so there is less chance of getting RNG hosed and getting no good weapons.

Fwiw I almost never feel like my 1v1s are decided by luck

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

twig1919 posted:

1v1 fights immediately after the drop are sometimes luck based on RNG... but after that if you have a 1v1 it really isn't that random. You either land your shots or they land theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Alright I bought it. Is there a discord thread I haven't found because I haven't looked for it?

• Locked thread