Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

powderific posted:

The focus ring rubber on my 24-70 G2 tamron fell off in the first week so I'm a little wary of their finish quality, but could have been a fluke. Their parts department is completely out of replacements though so I wonder if it's a design flaw.

edit: I've always had better AF experiences with first party lenses, but I don't remember the Sigma 35 1.4 I rented being too bad on focus. Don't want one for this cause they're heavy and expensive though.

No I had a similar issue. The plastic trim on the front element fell off. Along with other slop starting to appear in the lens I got rid of it quick. I had it for about two years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Dunno what to tell you. I've never had a problem with that, so maybe I just got lucky. It's entirely possible that my experiences aren't representative of the greater whole

My Sigma 50/1.4 autofocuses like a champ... as long as I use the center point or maybe one or two off. The focus points further to the edge just straight up don’t work.

The 35/1.4 was all sorts of terrible at auto focusing out of the box. I spent more time than I would like calibrating with the Sigma dock and think I have it down now, but it was probably more effort than it was worth.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Very happy with the Godox xpro and x1 receiver. First time with umbrellas.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 25, 2017

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Munkaboo posted:

Very happy with the Godox xpro and x1 receiver. First time with umbrellas.

https://i.imgur.com/V7NBNGJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JBtkg6u.jpg

Who's a good dog?

Not Munkaboo, who didn't embed the images. Bad munkaboo, bad.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

torgeaux posted:

Who's a good dog?

Not Munkaboo, who didn't embed the images. Bad munkaboo, bad.

On my phone :colbert:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Munkaboo posted:

On my phone :colbert:

Yeah. If there’s a way to imbed from Flickr on an iPhone/iPad using BBCode I have yet to figure it out.

Phoneposting. :negative:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Imgur makes it hard to get the source image url on a phone too. :fuckoff:

Though I guess there's an argument to be made that the forums should parse the URLs you do get into an image but that would be crazy.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The android awful app has a bbcode button, does the iphone version not?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I don’t think it does. How does is work on the Android version? Do you post the image url in a reply window and then render it in BBCode?

I’m kind of a dummy when it comes to stuff like this, so I might be overlooking something obvious.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm after a 50 mm prime for a Sony A mount for as cheap as possible. I'm recently unemployed and using a friend's old Sony a230.

I found a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 on eBay that's in my budget at around 90 AUD (70 USD) shipped to Australia and it's new old stock. I would ideally like to pay a little less, are there any good buy/sell/trade forums or stores where I might grab a bargain for a little legwork?

Megabound fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 25, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

President Beep posted:

I don’t think it does. How does is work on the Android version? Do you post the image url in a reply window and then render it in BBCode?

I’m kind of a dummy when it comes to stuff like this, so I might be overlooking something obvious.

There's a button on the reply screen that says [BB], it gives you a big list of options, for the [img] one it automatically pastes your clipboard for you. It's pretty handy.

Lowtax didn't make either app I don't think, and I think it's different goons making each app so it's probably pretty different on ios.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Megabound posted:

I'm after a 50 mm prime for a Sony A mount for as cheap as possible. I'm recently unemployed and using a friend's old Sony a230.

I found a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 on eBay that's in my budget at around 90 AUD (70 USD) shipped to Australia and it's new old stock. I would ideally like to pay a little less, are there any good buy/sell/trade forums or stores where I might grab a bargain for a little legwork?

No that's pretty much the going price for Minolta 50mm lenses, other than haunting ebay searching for a deal you wont see much better.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Even if you get the bb code you still have to post the right size too, right?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Putting a t in front of the img tag [timg][/timg] thumbnails the image.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Verman posted:

Putting a t in front of the img tag [timg][/timg] thumbnails the image.

I tried that yesterday, bit the little thumbnail box generated in post preview was blank, so I assumed it didn’t work. I’ll try again:

E: gently caress.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

President Beep posted:

I tried that yesterday, bit the little thumbnail box generated in post preview was blank, so I assumed it didn’t work. I’ll try again:

E: gently caress.

You need to use the actual image link not the flickr page the image is on

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

I fixed it!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

dupersaurus posted:

You need to use the actual image link not the flickr page the image is on

Yeah if anyone has figured out how to get Flickr images posted into the Android forums app from the Flickr app that would be really cool.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
You can't do it. The regular embed code from Flickr includes two links. One is the URL to the page where the picture is displayed, and the second is the URL to the image itself. Unlike with Imgur, the two URLs are not related to each other (with Imgur, you can just put the file extension on the end of the page URL to get the image URL). The Flickr app just gives you the page URL, there's no way to get the image URL from it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I stopped using the Flickr app and just go there by browser for just that reason.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I'm starting to look for a decent first TTL hotshoe flash for my T6i. I don't need anything too fancy--I'd just like to be able to brighten up indoor snapshots, for the most part. Ideally I'd get something I can bounce off my nice white ceilings. Very much open to third party equipment.

Any recommendations?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Get your foot in the Godox system and don't look back. I used to use first-party branded flashes but Godox is just so good, flexible, and cheap that I have a hard time recommending first-party to anything but actual working professionals (and a lot of those people are using Godox style systems too). The V860ii (or in the US, the Adorama Flashpoint R2) would be a good start with its rechargeable lithium battery.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

Get your foot in the Godox system and don't look back. I used to use first-party branded flashes but Godox is just so good, flexible, and cheap that I have a hard time recommending first-party to anything but actual working professionals (and a lot of those people are using Godox style systems too). The V860ii (or in the US, the Adorama Flashpoint R2) would be a good start with its rechargeable lithium battery.

Awesome. Thank you! I'm gonna check their stuff out.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Yeah look into the TT350, there's a canon model. I use one as my on camera complement to a pair of AD200s. It's cheap and tiny.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

President Beep posted:

I'm starting to look for a decent first TTL hotshoe flash for my T6i. I don't need anything too fancy--I'd just like to be able to brighten up indoor snapshots, for the most part. Ideally I'd get something I can bounce off my nice white ceilings. Very much open to third party equipment.

Any recommendations?
Have a look at Yungnuo. They're one of those Chinese firms that make solid copies.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Any recommendations for direct-plug battery charger brands? I hate travelling with a spaghetti bowl of charger cables so something that I can swap the plug on and just slap on to the wall would be great. Canon LP-E6 batteries if that helps.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I bought my wife a Canon T3 six or seven years ago. Since then she's picked up a few inexpensive lenses (EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EFS 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II, and another general purpose lens I can't remember the specifics of) and taken a metric poo poo ton of pictures. She is now at the point where she feels like it's time to upgrade her body and possibly pick up another lens or two. With a budget of ~$2000 usd she was looking at upgrading to a Canon 7D MkII. Even though the body was released in 2014 it doesn't look like the 7D is due for a new version until 4th quarter 2019.

She takes landscape photographs and pictures of buildings/cityscapes. She also likes to try to take pictures of my son's soccer team and expressed interest in doing some more nature photography like with birds and stuff. I realize that those are very different types of photography and require different lenses which is why I am asking for help here. Her nifty fifty is pretty cool and takes really good pictures. Her other lenses work well under the right conditions but I'd like to get her something a bit more consistent. I see the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD recommended a lot around here. Is that still a valid walking around lens? If so, does anyone have decent telephoto lens recommendations ~$500-600? That'd keep me right around 2k which would be nice.

I am of course open to any other recommendations you might have. The reason I said 7D is because she already has some (admittedly inexpensive) lenses and she knows how to work Canon cameras. Neither of us know anything about Nikon or Sony DSLRs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Compare the 7d2 to the 80d. The differences are subtle but each body has strengths and weaknesses compared to the other, giving opportunity to pick what's more important.

If you did pick the 80d, it'll free up cash for lenses which are going to be more important.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xzzy posted:

Compare the 7d2 to the 80d. The differences are subtle but each body has strengths and weaknesses compared to the other, giving opportunity to pick what's more important.

If you did pick the 80d, it'll free up cash for lenses which are going to be more important.

I'll bet that any limitations she things she has with the body are actually something that better lenses and.or a tripod will solve.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pablo Bluth posted:

Have a look at Yungnuo. They're one of those Chinese firms that make solid copies.

Specifically go to yongnuousa.net as you’ll get solid customer service there that you won’t on the eBay/Amazon reseller stores.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I see the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD recommended a lot around here. Is that still a valid walking around lens?

I have the Sigma version of this lens and it's a fantastic walking around lens for landscapes/cityscapes and general purpose work. Mine practically never leaves my 70D and I understand that the Tamron and Sigma lenses are almost entirely identical. Autofocus is sometimes a little slow but it's sharp enough even when wide open. For longer stuff, like sports or wildlife, the 70-200mm ƒ/4 is a great choice for around $600 if you can live without image stabilisation or there's a Sigma 100-400 ƒ/4-5.6 for a hundo more with IS.

You could get the 17-50, either of the long zooms and an 80D body easily within your budget.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Helen Highwater posted:

I have the Sigma version of this lens and it's a fantastic walking around lens for landscapes/cityscapes and general purpose work. Mine practically never leaves my 70D and I understand that the Tamron and Sigma lenses are almost entirely identical. Autofocus is sometimes a little slow but it's sharp enough even when wide open. For longer stuff, like sports or wildlife, the 70-200mm ƒ/4 is a great choice for around $600 if you can live without image stabilisation or there's a Sigma 100-400 ƒ/4-5.6 for a hundo more with IS.

You could get the 17-50, either of the long zooms and an 80D body easily within your budget.

This is good stuff thanks. I am going to show her these lenses when she gets home. She has friends who are into photography and has obviously been doing research on her own but it's hard to tell how biased reviews are. Goons have always shot me straight with other stuff so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask here.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I bought my wife a Canon T3 six or seven years ago. Since then she's picked up a few inexpensive lenses (EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EFS 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II, and another general purpose lens I can't remember the specifics of) and taken a metric poo poo ton of pictures. She is now at the point where she feels like it's time to upgrade her body and possibly pick up another lens or two. With a budget of ~$2000 usd she was looking at upgrading to a Canon 7D MkII. Even though the body was released in 2014 it doesn't look like the 7D is due for a new version until 4th quarter 2019.

She takes landscape photographs and pictures of buildings/cityscapes. She also likes to try to take pictures of my son's soccer team and expressed interest in doing some more nature photography like with birds and stuff. I realize that those are very different types of photography and require different lenses which is why I am asking for help here. Her nifty fifty is pretty cool and takes really good pictures. Her other lenses work well under the right conditions but I'd like to get her something a bit more consistent. I see the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD recommended a lot around here. Is that still a valid walking around lens? If so, does anyone have decent telephoto lens recommendations ~$500-600? That'd keep me right around 2k which would be nice.

I am of course open to any other recommendations you might have. The reason I said 7D is because she already has some (admittedly inexpensive) lenses and she knows how to work Canon cameras. Neither of us know anything about Nikon or Sony DSLRs.

I have little frame of reference for what a good lens looks like, but I have the VC version and it shoots great to my eye, and has saved my butt numerous times in bad lighting.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

UK goons, this site has the Retrospective 6 at a drat decent discount from £125 to £79, I ordered one yesterday and had a shipping notification today.

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/shoulder_bags/think_tank_retrospective_6_sandstone/26224_p.html

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

That's a really nice looking bag.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks to everyone for the advice on flashes. After looking at various options, I’m leaning towards eventually getting a Godox TT685c. It’s relatively cheap, and it seems as though it’ll work well if I ever want to someday move onto a more complex lighting setup. It does look bigger than some other options, but that doesn’t concern me too much.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I have a Retrospective 7 and its the best shoulder bag I've ever used. I use it daily and beat the hell out of it and its still in nearly the same shape as when I got it a year ago.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Helen Highwater posted:

I just wanted to shoot an update and thank you again for the recommendation. She wound up going with the Canon 80D and the Sigma 17-50 lens. That leaves her with ~700 USD to play around with for lenses. She said she'd rather not get another telephoto lens and is going to look around for more stuff she could use more for landscapes and architecture.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

I got a 135 F2L for 750 on Kehphoto. It was used but near mint condition. You could definitely go the used lens route on there, and they come with a nice warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I just wanted to shoot an update and thank you again for the recommendation. She wound up going with the Canon 80D and the Sigma 17-50 lens. That leaves her with ~700 USD to play around with for lenses. She said she'd rather not get another telephoto lens and is going to look around for more stuff she could use more for landscapes and architecture.

Canon 10-18mm efs, it's sharp, it has IS, and is less than $300. Downsides include a plastic lens mount and a very slow max aperture. My most used focal lengths for landscapes and editorial stuff is 14-18mm so imo an ultra wide zoom is very good buy.