Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/945126026824298497

Remember when Obama was President and we had to say “Hail Bin Laden, Christ-Killer Extraordinaire!” between November and January or risk having our families shot and dumped in a shallow grave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Hail Satan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdSqLfuRN18

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Welp

quote:

A Marine Corps commandant on Thursday warned U.S. troops stationed in Norway to be prepared for a coming war.

At a Q&A session with the troops in the Norwegian Home Guard base near Trondheim, Neller said that the U.S. could shift its focus from the Middle East to Eastern Europe, citing Russia’s conflicts with Ukraine and Georgia as justification. He told the Marines that they should be prepared for a “big-rear end fight” on the horizon.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/23/theres-war-coming-marine-corps-general-warns-us-troops.html

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm glad the collective leadership of the entire world is at an unprecedented level of competent. I've got good feelings about the future folks.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/945126026824298497

Remember when Obama was President and we had to say “Hail Bin Laden, Christ-Killer Extraordinaire!” between November and January or risk having our families shot and dumped in a shallow grave?

Remember when Trump won a war

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Imagine being a person that can concoct this sort of insane narrative to live in. The extent of the "war on christmas" was a few retailers training cashiers to say happy holidays and some suburbs putting up menorahs and snowflakes next to the christmas trees. Yet you have managed to create a world in your mind where people are being suppressed from saying merry christmas by some nefarious pc forces, and it just gets you so mad.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Imagine being a person that can concoct this sort of insane narrative to live in. The extent of the "war on christmas" was a few retailers training cashiers to say happy holidays and some suburbs putting up menorahs and snowflakes next to the christmas trees. Yet you have managed to create a world in your mind where people are being suppressed from saying merry christmas by some nefarious pc forces, and it just gets you so mad.

It's surreal. I can't count the number of people I've seen on TV/print, social media, or even in person who have said something to the effect of "We can say Merry Christmas again!" in the past month or two. WHO THE gently caress WAS STOPPING YOU YOU IDIOT

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I always thought the happy holidays thing was started by big companies telling their employees to say happy holidays instead of merry christmas, nothing to do with the government cause christmas is celebrated at the white house every year and there's nothing controversial about it

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
even in the 90s i heard "happy holidays" and i thought it was just inclusive of christmas and new years since i wasn't in school for those two holidays (plural -- hence happy holidays). i didn't know it was some big liberal conspiracy to wipe christmas out completely.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I've been petting my cat for like twenty minutes and he hasn't said Merry Christmas yet. I'm now yelling at him about how Trump won, so get over it.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
In high school, I would suddenly and conveniently get super Catholic whenever somebody pointedly wished me merry Christmas before sundown on December 24th, and would take the opportunity to let them know that it was Advent, not Christmas, and would they please have some loving respect, just because they were a godless loving heathen doesn't mean that they get to reduce the season of Christ's coming to just one day. rear end in a top hat. Later I would arbitrarily pretend to follow the Eastern liturgical calendar, so Christmas was actually January 7th, please don't impose your Romist heresy on me just because you don't give a poo poo about Jesus. If nothing else, I confused a lot of people who thought they were letting me know that Jesus was the reason for the season.

It was a weird phase.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

When your entire lifestyle is built around excluding others and denying them the various benefits your in-group enjoys, you assume that including others can only be done by your group being excluded.

In this case, they’re so used to having Christmas dominate this entire season that even acknowledging that there are other holidays in the winter is taking away from their culture.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

When your entire lifestyle is built around excluding others and denying them the various benefits your in-group enjoys, you assume that including others can only be done by your group being excluded.

In this case, they’re so used to having Christmas dominate this entire season that even acknowledging that there are other holidays in the winter is taking away from their culture.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

This feels like one of this bn formations where the co and Sgt maj always have drop a shout out to train how we fight and “the balloon could go up any day” always be prepared etc etc. and then you hear that once or twice a month for three years and kind of just tune out.

We’re going to be caught flat footed when we do go to war

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Soylent's Guide to surviving crazy rightwing family Christmas parties:

0) Be told over and over again how Trump is supporting "my people" by moving the embassy to Jerusalem.
1) Drink every time the above happens.
2) Wish people Happy Holidays.
3) When called out apologize and wish them a Happy Hanukkah.
4) When called out a second time explain you don't acknowledge Christmas because Christianity is just an idol worshiping Jewish heresy that fundamentally misunderstands the messianic prophesy.
5) Uber back to my sister's apartment and pet her doggo while marathoning Law & Order.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

FastestGunAlive posted:

This feels like one of this bn formations where the co and Sgt maj always have drop a shout out to train how we fight and “the balloon could go up any day” always be prepared etc etc. and then you hear that once or twice a month for three years and kind of just tune out.

We’re going to be caught flat footed when we do go to war

I mean, I basically agree with the former, but is the actual loving commandant of the cropse supposed to go around saying that poo poo?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I mean, I basically agree with the former, but is the actual loving commandant of the cropse supposed to go around saying that poo poo?

Marines

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The specificity of naming Russia, no definitely not a good idea. I’m trying to recall what he said when he came and spoke to my unit on deployment but I can’t recall as I was standing in formation and thus not paying attention.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If you really want to gently caress with "christians" in America start a conversation educating them about the pagan origins of the cross and the biological impossibility of having been nailed through the palms.

They're so wrapped up in the iconography it's hilarious, especially when their own book calls them out on it.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/944205214147588096

what the gently caress is even going on in this tweet. digital cats worth thousands?

edit: they gave one to clinton too?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bird food bathtub posted:

If you really want to gently caress with "christians" in America start a conversation educating them about the pagan origins of the cross and the biological impossibility of having been nailed through the palms.

They're so wrapped up in the iconography it's hilarious, especially when their own book calls them out on it.

This only works with some denominations, though. Mormons, for example, reject the cross iconography, hold that the nails were driven through both the palms and the wrist, and acknowledge that the actual birth was in the spring and that the modern observance in December is as much a secular/pagan practice as it is a Christian one.

Although pointing out that the Mormons are more reasonable with their observance of a holiday than Protestants/Catholics/whathaveyou can also get good reactions from the sort of person that gets worked up about that.

DKD posted:

In high school, I would suddenly and conveniently get super Catholic whenever somebody pointedly wished me merry Christmas before sundown on December 24th, and would take the opportunity to let them know that it was Advent, not Christmas, and would they please have some loving respect, just because they were a godless loving heathen doesn't mean that they get to reduce the season of Christ's coming to just one day. rear end in a top hat. Later I would arbitrarily pretend to follow the Eastern liturgical calendar, so Christmas was actually January 7th, please don't impose your Romist heresy on me just because you don't give a poo poo about Jesus. If nothing else, I confused a lot of people who thought they were letting me know that Jesus was the reason for the season.

It was a weird phase.

If you were Muslim you could double-dip on acknowledging that the birth of the Prophet Jesus was indeed very important, but also get out of your unit's mando fun Christmas party by saying that it's kufr to celebrate it like that.

In actual current events, Haley announced a $285 million cut to the UN budget, and Guatemala has also recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel now.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Merry Holidays and poo poo you dweebs

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The people who buy into the war on Christmas won’t give a poo poo.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Y'all should listen to Christian talk radio if it's available. We have like 3 stations here on FM, no idea about AM, but every drat time I hear any of it its about how American Christians are the most persecuted group in history or something.

Though, to be fair, I haven't listened to any since the election so who knows what they talk about now.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
If you believe your faith is exclusively correct, evangelical, and the bedrock of the nation, then yeah, being forced in any way to back down from your position of unquestioned cultural dominance in order to make room for and validate those with false beliefs is a massive affront. For some folks, Christianity is every bit as real and true as the scientific consensus on gravity. AM talk radio is their version of the D&D "how will I ever survive the holidays with my republican relatives?" thread.

Or you could just leave people alone and let them enjoy their holiday, since nothing is more tiresome than someone trying to "well actually its a pagan celebration :smug:".

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mods change my name posted:

Y'all should listen to Christian talk radio if it's available. We have like 3 stations here on FM, no idea about AM, but every drat time I hear any of it its about how American Christians are the most persecuted group in history or something.

Though, to be fair, I haven't listened to any since the election so who knows what they talk about now.

Christian persecution. I grew up listening to that stuff, particularly the stuff put out by Focus on the Family

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dead Reckoning posted:

Or you could just leave people alone and let them enjoy their holiday, since nothing is more tiresome than someone trying to "well actually its a pagan celebration :smug:".

Hey if they want to leave me alone I'm all for returning the favor. As long as they're trying to vote Christian ISIS Teahadists into office to implement white people sharia then gently caress 'em.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
teahadist is my new favorite word

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mods change my name posted:

teahadist is my new favorite word

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Dumb people don't know they're dumb, right-wing Christians are the snowflakiest of them all, and people desperately want to be heroes of their own story even if their story sucks.

And Julian Assange's Twitter is back :gonk:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

And Julian Assange's Twitter is back :gonk:

Truly the darkest timeline.

Blessed yule to you all.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The church i went to growing up encouraged us to say happy holidays, and to remember the people who had different faiths and holidays during the season. it was about everyone coming together to make the world a better place whether you did it in Jesus name or not.

also Jesus was tied to the cross before the nails were driven.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

RFC2324 posted:

The church i went to growing up encouraged us to say happy holidays, and to remember the people who had different faiths and holidays during the season. it was about everyone coming together to make the world a better place whether you did it in Jesus name or not.

Kinda :same:, but this is how you raise atheists.

You're basically telling kids that what's important is how people treat each other, not what they believe in, and some of them will gradually realize, as Socrates put it before he was executed for spreading atheism among the youth, that that wise man would not need Zeus, or as we might say, the good man, Christ. Even if they don't realize it, they'll act like it.

On the other hand, if you tell kids that only their church are the real Christians, and everyone's out to get them, and that adherence to correct ritual demands they sacrifice friendships and opportunities, then you encourage them to stay close, foster social and psychological dependence on the in-group, and keep traditions alive for generations even in the face of societal pressure.

Merry Christmas!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/12/25/haley-announces-285m-cut-in-2018-19-un-operating-budget.html

quote:

Calling it “a big step in the right direction,” U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley on Sunday night announced a historic reduction in the U.N. biennial operating budget.

Haley said the plan calls for a $285 million cut for the 2018-19 fiscal year.

“The inefficiency and overspending of the United Nations are well known,” Haley said. “We will no longer let the generosity of the American people be taken advantage of or remain unchecked."

lol

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
so that's like what, $1.50 a year back into every taxpayer's pocket? goddamn economy is about to fuckin flourish.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

so that's like what, $1.50 a year back into every taxpayer's pocket? goddamn economy is about to fuckin flourish.

No, it's $285k in 100 rich gently caress's pockets. You don't get poo poo.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

$285 million of what? Can't click/otherwise check atm.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Nephzinho posted:

$285 million of what? Can't click/otherwise check atm.

US budget towards the U.N.

Lol at our fee fees getting so butt hurt that we had to claim we are persecuted, throw a party for our real friends only, and now this. Leader of the free world y’all

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

boop the snoot posted:

Remember when Trump won a war

Depending on how you define victory, the last time we won anything was either Bush 1 (Desert Storm), Clinton (stopping genocide in the Balkans), or Bush 2 (step 1 and only step 1 of OIF and OEF). Everything else has been an outright dumpster fire.

boop the snoot posted:

even in the 90s i heard "happy holidays" and i thought it was just inclusive of christmas and new years since i wasn't in school for those two holidays (plural -- hence happy holidays). i didn't know it was some big liberal conspiracy to wipe christmas out completely.

If you recognize the legitimacy of other religions (except sometimes Jews) it means you hate Jesus.

Edit: :downs:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

What's soft power and diplomacy? I am a Fox watcher with a world view about as complicated as a Saturday morning cartoon and do not understand something that takes more than three seconds to explain. Obviously I think this is a good thing. Use that money here in the states, gently caress the rest of the world.

• Locked thread