Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Did we ever track down what trailer started this recent trend? It used to be used pretty sparingly and had an impact for certain movies, but god it just so tiresome now.

FWIW the cover of Creep for The Social Network is my favorite trailer song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FCKGW posted:

Did we ever track down what trailer started this recent trend?
Age of Ultron ( Pinocchio song) or San Andreas (California Dreaming) were the two I remember being noticeable

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Did we ever track down what trailer started this recent trend? It used to be used pretty sparingly and had an impact for certain movies, but god it just so tiresome now.

FWIW the cover of Creep for The Social Network is my favorite trailer song.

It is appropriate. (fuckerberg)

Earliest one I remember was Mad World for Donnie Darko.

And I enjoyed the Lana Del Rey cover for Malificent.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The trailer for A Cure For Wellness is probably my least favorite example of this. That, and Donnie Darko, although that song was in the movie instead of the trailer.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Justice League was a mess but Gary Clark Jr.'s cover of "Come Together" featured in the trailer is amazing in my opinion

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Alternatively:
A ska cover of the MASH theme.

Polka cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Just Entry of the Gladiators playing throughout the entire trailer.

Weird Al, your country needs you.

And the last one makes me think a clown superhero movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Alternatively:
A ska cover of the MASH theme.

Polka cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Just Entry of the Gladiators playing throughout the entire trailer.

It's not Weird Al but https://youtu.be/URz9H-t58Xk

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

Weird Al, your country needs you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t039p6xqutU

topical?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FCKGW posted:

Also EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN TRAILER in front of Star Wars had some slowed down pop song. I really hate this trend.

That's Donnie Darko's fault.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its amazing how hollywood found something more annoying than when every trailer had inception horns in it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Justice League was a mess but Gary Clark Jr.'s cover of "Come Together" featured in the trailer is amazing in my opinion

Justice League didn't have a single Steppenwolf song in it'S trailers or the movie itself.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Skwirl posted:

I heard more movies using songs like that after The Social Network came out than Donnie Darko.

Altared State fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 25, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

Actually no, it's Gears of War's fault if anything.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

We Know Catheters posted:

I heard more movies using songs like that after The Social Network came out than Donnie Darko.

The Social Network did it first when it comes to trailers, but odds are "Mad World" at the end of Donnie Darko was an inspiration for (more) moody covers like that.

We've talked about once before in this thread (like a year ago), back then I compiled this quick list:

Odds are that you can find way more examples, especially if you add trailers/commercials for TV series and video games to the mix.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Wasn't the slowed down Enjoy the Silence in I think the ghost in the shell trailers like the same bpm as the original song or something like that?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Actually no, it's Gears of War's fault if anything.

Yeah, that's what I'd say kicked off the trend, although it would take a few more years for it to be common in trailers (that Social Network one is the first I can think of).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Donnie Darko was 2001, Gears was 2007, Social Network was 2010.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Farm Frenzy posted:

its amazing how hollywood found something more annoying than when every trailer had inception horns in it

To be fair the inception horns are a great stinger,but i want to see the trailers where everyone started using the big loving church organs of interstellar.man,that soundtrack is great.

Since this poo poo is cyclical in 5 years every trailer will be using speeded up versions of 90s pop songs ,finally children of bodoms cover of "oops i did it again" will be topical.

Or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdhBiCNT85c

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I remember people complaining about the "slowed down cover" of the Beatles' "Because" in the trailers for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, but it was literally the master recording of the song with some verses swapped around and some percussion added in. It was even a big deal because it was apparently the first time a master recording of the Beatles had ever been approved for that use and Paul McCartney was a fan of the project. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BszXhUjJz00

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 25, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How long til we get over-narrated trailers again

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

The Social Network did it first when it comes to trailers, but odds are "Mad World" at the end of Donnie Darko was an inspiration for (more) moody covers like that.

We've talked about once before in this thread (like a year ago), back then I compiled this quick list:

Odds are that you can find way more examples, especially if you add trailers/commercials for TV series and video games to the mix.

Karen O's cover of "Immigrant Song" from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo shouldn't be there. If anything that's like an antithesis of the "slowed down" cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVLvMg62RPA

The full-length trailer used a song from the soundtrack. I'm not sure who edited these together (probably Fincher) but they aren't you're typical trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqQe3OrsMKI

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

got any sevens posted:

How long til we get over-narrated trailers again

As soon as we can find someone with the same voice as Don LaFontaine.

Which is impossible, that man was irreplaceable. :smith:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Donnie Darko was 2001, Gears was 2007, Social Network was 2010.

..and the WWE build a whole feud around "running up that hill" by placebo in 2005, it has a long history.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked that Valarian used a slow downed orchestral version of Gangsters Paradise. Not enough to see the movie though

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

The Prep School cover of Come As You Are is so misguided and obviously created by the Quantum Break marketing team (seriously, does this band even have any other songs?) that I kind of love it. You can pinpoint to the second the part where you might as well scream "THIS IS WHERE WE PUT PEOPLE SHOOTING GUNS IN SLOW MOTION":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZMS1di6Mc

If we are adding video game trailers to the mix there is also Disturbed's cover of Sound of Silence (Gears 4):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

And Hit House's cover of Ordinary World (The Evil Within 2):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYf-EsadU7I

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Dark Souls doing slowed down pop music actually kind of fit. Same with Final Fantasy XV doing a dramatic orchestral cover of Stand By Me.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

..and the WWE build a whole feud around "running up that hill" by placebo in 2005, it has a long history.

And that was one of their best video packages.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

As soon as we can find someone with the same voice as Don LaFontaine.

Which is impossible, that man was irreplaceable. :smith:

In a world... :smith:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Jfc three horror trailers before Shape of Water. Its christmas you fuckers, not halloween

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

got any sevens posted:

Jfc three horror trailers before Shape of Water. Its christmas you fuckers, not halloween
Christmas horror movies exist too :getin:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alehkhs posted:

I remember people complaining about the "slowed down cover" of the Beatles' "Because" in the trailers for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, but it was literally the master recording of the song with some verses swapped around and some percussion added in. It was even a big deal because it was apparently the first time a master recording of the Beatles had ever been approved for that use and Paul McCartney was a fan of the project. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BszXhUjJz00

I think either it's either the a cappella mix with rerecorded guitars under it or the instruments might just be mixed down lower. Either way it's not the album mix but it definitely is from the original source tapes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, I think Gears of War was the first that stuck in my craw. The Social Network is more a cover of a slow song, not so much one slowed down. San Andreas was the first one that really stuck out and I will blame them for really ramping up the trend.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 25, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

got any sevens posted:

At least you can see Shape of Water. I have to drive an hour to see it and that's more effort than I'm willing to do.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvmAa1cYZK4

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I think Gears of War was the first that stuck in my craw. The Social Network is more a cover of a slow song, not so much one slowed down. San Andreas was the first one that really stuck out and I will blame them for really ramping up the trend.

Was San Andreas even all that popular? I remember the trailers but I never went to see it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

got any sevens posted:

Christmas and horror go way back. Christmas Carol is basically a horror story.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, the trailers are at least partly affected by what you're seeing- Shape of Water probably has horror trailers attached because it's being pushed to horror fans.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can I ask a question in this thread (because it's about 2017 movies): how far wrong am I in presuming that Star Wars will fall short of a billion dollars this time round? I think it will end up in the $900 million region. According to Wikipedia, it's on $775 million at the moment, and based on what I've read about it, the fact that it had a very steep drop in its second week seems to me to indicate that most people who want to see it have already seen it and aren't interested in seeing it again (which its poor word of mouth will surely exacerbate). Are there still $300 million left for it make?

I think it will finish off as the second or third biggest movie of the year (in terms of money earned) behind Beauty and the Bast and Fate of the Furious and coming in fourth seems like a possibility as well.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Slashers feel a little too mean spirited for Christmas. I do love Gremlins, Rare Exports, and Krampus though. I want more like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I think Gears of War was the first that stuck in my craw.

Yeah, it was a rather cheap move to give the game some emotional gravitas. Trust me, no one is playing GOW for a study in how constant conflict wears down on a soldier's psyche, they're playing it because you can chainsaw dudes then blow them clear with your oversized automatic rifle.

• Locked thread