Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

That's because it's not permanent as it will deactivate when leaving the thread view or get reset when the app is closed by the user or system.

Which should prevent the exact problem you had. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

As someone who spends a stupid amount of time on airplanes, I would give my left nut (read: a modest amount of money) to be able to download and view threads offline.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pages get cached for a week, so if you page through and let each one load, you'll be able to view those pages offline

I think the reason we don't have an automated 'cache all pages pls' option is that lowtax doesn't like that kind of behaviour? Sereri knows what's up

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I didn't think this worked when I tried it last but I'll give it another shot in a minute before I take off. I'll let you know if it worked when I land in London. Thanks!

Edit: it does work, although it's a little inconvenient. Please tell Lowtax I think he's a dickface and he should let you add the feature.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 18, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You have to actually let the page load - if it's still going when you skip to the next page, the first load gets cancelled. Once you see the text change, it should be done (but images and whatever might not have loaded into the webview cache, I don't think that should cause problems though)

It used to let you skip through billions of pages and have them all load at the same time, but that caused issues like people getting mysteriously logged out

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

baka kaba posted:

Pages get cached for a week, so if you page through and let each one load, you'll be able to view those pages offline

Discovered this by accident. Can confirm it rules for long internet-less trips or whatever with much time to be killed.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

How do I take a poo poo post a thread with this?

Maybe I am an idiot but I can't figure it out.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Go to the next apple store and buy an iPhone, then install Awful.app

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think you write a patch and a pull request....it can't be done at the moment.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just keep getting "loading failed" on everything and I suspect it's because Cloudflare is giving it a capcha page like it did me on Chrome just now. Being in the Philippines, I think the IP address I've been assigned is flagged for suspicious activity, so it'll serve me the check. Is there a fix or workaround for this? I already tried just solving the capcha on Chrome, and that doesn't work.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm not sure to be honest - right now we don't have a way to handle that kind of thing, and it's hard to develop it when you're not seeing those errors

Turning your router off for a few minutes might get you a new IP, that's all I can think of for a workaround right now :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You should allow theming or hiding of the probation message.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It's ugly af on purpose

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Over int he phone thread we where talking about those Nougat quick menus that come up when you long press on the icon and it occurred to me that it would be nice if Awful had a shortcut to launch to the bookmarks in there.

Also in the discussion was how no one knows about them so maybe it's not worth doing.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah I saw that and added an issue to the github repo about an hour ago :banjo:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

You should allow theming or hiding of the probation message.

Post better and you'll see it less frequently.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Midjack posted:

Post better and you'll see it less frequently.

Oh my god, his rap sheet has a second page. I hadn't seen anyone with that since Tenement Funster.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Oh my god, his rap sheet has a second page. I hadn't seen anyone with that since Tenement Funster.

He was the first and arguably the best but there are a number of people who have gotten there since.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Ghostpilot posted:

Does anyone else have the issue of the screen note turning off while in Awful? I thought it might be in the options, but no such luck. Uninstalling / reinstalling the app hasn't corrected it, either. I think it started some months ago.

Huge thanks for this, by the way! It's become my main way of accessing the forums for quite some time now, and easily the app I use most on my phone.

baka kaba posted:

There's a 'keep screen on' setting in the menu when you're reading a thread, make sure that isn't on

Ghostpilot posted:

Yeah, that's unchecked. I've never turned that on, but I'll see if toggling it fixes it.

Edit: toggling the option on and off fixed it. Strange place to put that option, though.

I was going to just let it go, but since I had already mentioned it I figured I'd follow up: the issue returns whenever I re-open the app.

Screen turns off just fine when typing a post, though.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is there a way to see avatars when you click their name on a post that shows the title text? Or see avatars...at all

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Is there a way to see avatars when you click their name on a post that shows the title text? Or see avatars...at all

Under Settings -> Images is a Show Avatars option, is it checked?

Load Images might also need to be checked

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Daztek posted:

Under Settings -> Images is a Show Avatars option, is it checked?

Load Images might also need to be checked

I had show avatars checked but it looks like it only works if show images is also checked.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know it's the lowest of low priorities but being (obviously) a gigantic dork, I wish there was a way for gang tags and other images in custom titles to show up on the app.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ghostpilot posted:

I was going to just let it go, but since I had already mentioned it I figured I'd follow up: the issue returns whenever I re-open the app.

Screen turns off just fine when typing a post, though.

Yeah it's only a temporary setting, so it gets reset when the app restarts. Should still be defaulting to off though! I'll have a look

(It only affects the thread view, that's why the option's in that menu)

drunken officeparty posted:

I had show avatars checked but it looks like it only works if show images is also checked.

I just checked and it's this
Well, it's actually "is show avatars on, and can we show images?" and the latter is "is show images on and do we have internet". So maybe that could be broken up, it makes more sense to me if 'show avatars' is the option that decides whether you see them or not

The Bloop posted:

I know it's the lowest of low priorities but being (obviously) a gigantic dork, I wish there was a way for gang tags and other images in custom titles to show up on the app.

I would also like this! It's mostly trying to find a good solution for handling them, and deciding the best way to display them

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 28, 2017

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

I just checked and it's this
Well, it's actually "is show avatars on, and can we show images?" and the latter is "is show images on and do we have internet". So maybe that could be broken up, it makes more sense to me if 'show avatars' is the option that decides whether you see them or not

I think it used to disable the show avatars option entirely, bringing the point across more blatantly. Personally I think 'images' qualifies all images including avatars and emoticons but if you all agree on a different way, feel free to change it.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, this is because we only parse the title text for this. It makes it easier to deal with red custom tiles and the likes.

There was this mockup in the iOS thread that I liked and will maybe take a shot at in the future:

Grace Baiting posted:

Hey this got me thinking and I threw some mockups together:

original pokeyman 2017

modification

And for a custom title from further upthread that's slightly more involved, including one of the Underwhelming Donation Awards! (does not include Mad Wack's avatar's gif animation since this was from a static screenshot!):
original Mad Wack 2017

original modification, do not steal

Basically my idea is to have a separate hidden pane that contains the full 150x150 avatar plus the full custom title. When you tap on the user's reduced 128x128 avatar or username at the top of their post, in addition to the current "Profile, Their Posts, Rap Sheet" popup appearing, the username would also slide over to make room as the hidden pane fades in (or with some fancier animation than just fading in, e.g. the 128x128 avatar gets magnified into the full 150x150 size and the rest of the pane fades in + grows from the small avatar's borders). The pane would presumably cover up the top right corner of the post, but the current popup also does that a little, and likewise it would hide when you tap outside of the popup or pane. I'm imagining this as a very quick and low-impact operation, in contrast to hitting the "Profile" button which is a bit more heavyweight. (By "heavyweight" I mostly mean that you can only dismiss the Profile pane by tapping the "Done" button in the top left corner, which takes a few extra maneuvers when browsing Awful one-handedly. Maybe some kind of gesture shortcut to dismiss the profile pane would help here regardless.)

As the Ideas Guy™ for this, please note that I am owed 50% of any revenue accrued from this Idea.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
I found a bug! If you open an image by tapping on an image and choosing "display image", you can flip it by zooming in and out.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

I think it used to disable the show avatars option entirely, bringing the point across more blatantly. Personally I think 'images' qualifies all images including avatars and emoticons but if you all agree on a different way, feel free to change it.

I feel like explicitly breaking images up into 'post images' and 'avatars' and letting people disable either is a bit clearer, and probably the general use case. If anyone's into janitoring their data usage by toggling stuff on and off they can probably just turn two switches off instead (although there is that wifi-only toggle...)

I'm being non-committal here because I haven't actually looked at what's involved and it's probably horribly complicated

On the user stuff, I was thinking of a popup dialog card when you tap someone, basically like the user profile screen. Only without the useless info (AIM username huh). Custom titles would go nice in there!

dont skimp on the shrimp posted:

I found a bug! If you open an image by tapping on an image and choosing "display image", you can flip it by zooming in and out.

Uh that's clearly a hidden feature, enjoy!!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
For what it’s worth, Awful.app has "show avatars" and "show images" as separate settings and there is no interaction between them.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have a confusing bug. There is one thread in my bookmarks that constantly shows that there is one unread post but when going to the thread there's nothing new. This is the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601247&pagenumber=113&perpage=40

It was doing it last night, then it got 5 new posts today, showed 5 on the bookmarks, went there, went back to bookmarks, it shows no new posts, refresh bookmarks, it says 1 new post, go to thread, no new posts.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 30, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

There are some threads that just do that - sometimes people make an extra post just to reveal the secret goast poast

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, it's not specific to this app...it happens on the site itself.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It has something to do with the forums going down a few months ago and a bunch of ZDR's posts being deleted. Any thread he ever posted in will show the post count anomaly.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

It has something to do with the forums going down a few months ago and a bunch of ZDR's posts being deleted. Any thread he ever posted in will show the post count anomaly.

The ghost threads where ZDR deleted all they are posts are great

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
afaik ZDR is still riding herd on this dead website so thanks to ya m8 and if you've given up, you wouldn't be the first

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Midjack posted:

Happened before that too but it got a lot worse after.

syscall girl posted:

afaik ZDR is still riding herd on this dead website so thanks to ya m8 and if you've given up, you wouldn't be the first

Or the last. XenForo 2020!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Midjack posted:

Ghost Posts have been a thing for years, son.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Ghost Posts have been a thing for years, son.

In my awareness they weren't persistent and widespread until then but apparently it's a wider problem.

That or hellbans are back in a big way.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

There was a thing where some threads wouldn't show the first post on a new page, but the list said it was there and had all the details. The thread snipes were getting sniped from the post depository

Then later ZDR's posts became black holes and ate the threads they lived in. Refugees set up new threads but brave posters still stalk the old ruins

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

Or the last. XenForo 2020!

Well it's a stressful non-paying position either way so XenForo for new Titan Manager, oi oi oi

Let's get these deck chairs in proper order mates and have a rousing version of Nearer, my Gob to Thee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I bet it's got something to do with the stupid habit some people have of editing their posts to quote something that someone else posted after them.