Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Any recommendations for a Zuma like game that isn't Lux. And specifically does not require you to catch things, or control even a simplified RPG, just shoot balls to make matches. Maybe I used the wrong search criteria on steam...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Dude, holy poo poo Card Quest is great.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Duck Game is hilarious and everyone should play it.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Let's take advantage of the thread being slow to poo poo it up a bit.

I have ~US$ 20 left on my gaming budget, give or take, and can't decide on what to get.

This is my shortlist (prices in USD)
pre:
Dark Souls 3            9.1
Dark Souls 3 + DLC     23.1
Blades of the Shogun   12.3
XCOM2	                9.3
War of the Chosen      18.1
I could stretch the budget a bit to get DS3+DLC, but XCOM2+WOTC is just a over the upper range of what I'd like to spend, tbh.

I you're bored enough to take a look at my wishlist and suggest something else, by all means go ahead, I'd appreciate any input. Prices are different in my region though, but the only things in there over 25 are rear end Origins, Automata and Nioh. (I played Hellblade on a friend's PS4, it's on the list because I'd like to get it eventually, but it's not a priority.)

Speaking as someone who just bought dark souls 3 several days ago: Holy poo poo if you like Souls games get it. Get it all. It's amazing.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Xander77 gifted me Game Corp DX which is on sale now for $0.74 and I would definitely recommend it if you’re looking for cheap games. My Steam Thread post provides some more details about this cute little office sim where you get to exploit the labor of nerds to shovel out bad games.

Thanks again, Xander77!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Buried alive posted:

Speaking as someone who just bought dark souls 3 several days ago: Holy poo poo if you like Souls games get it. Get it all. It's amazing.

Yeah Dark Souls 3 is fantastic

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

How is Watchdogs 2 if I'm looking for a cheap 'run around a world causing chaos and mayhem until I eventually become a god of destruction' type game? Something in the vein of FC4?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xtanstic posted:

How is Watchdogs 2 if I'm looking for a cheap 'run around a world causing chaos and mayhem until I eventually become a god of destruction' type game? Something in the vein of FC4?

It should fit the bill. The goofy sense of humor in it is also quite endearing.

Keep in mind most of your destruction is from hacking abilities and drones. Marcus doesn't really get tougher through levels.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

It should fit the bill. The goofy sense of humor in it is also quite endearing.

Keep in mind most of your destruction is from hacking abilities and drones. Marcus doesn't really get tougher through levels.

RE: Watchdogs 2
This. Also, you gain points by doing missions and finding research points. They will unlock additional things like making the remote jumper jump higher, and allowing you to control more things with your phone. Some of the good unlocks might take awhile to get to though. The game is super fun anyway, but it’s not a super fast progression, though I got distracted quite often.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Can I get some opinions on

- Bomber Crew
- Sexy Brutale
- Card Quest
- Oxygen Not Included
- Maia
- Nights of Azure
- Interstellar Transport Company
- anything else of note on my wishlist?

Like, I've gotten most of my top-shelf stuff this sale so far, but as I transition into post-xmas stuff, what should I focus on? Aside from playing more CKII/Lost Dimension/StarCrawlers/etc, I mean.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Bomber Crew - WW2 ftl with a mission based campaign. Gets incredibly tense at points.

Sexy Brutale - Hitman mixed with Groundhog Day. My only real complaint is that there's no scenarios with multiple targets in the same place.

Oxygen Not Included - fun survival management game. Takes a good while to really figure out.

Maia - great concept but glacial development as it's one guy.

Nights of Azure - fun action RPG with a surprisingly okay plot. Has some really goofy fanservice.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Opinion: You have too many games on your Wishlist.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Can anyone recommend a game with the very specific limitations of
- can run on a terrible laptop that can't even run a lot of modern 2D games, let alone 3D ones (e.g. can do Cook, Serve, Delicious and Civ IV, can't do Hearthstone or Darkest Dungeon)
- is turn based
- is playable windowed
- is £5 or less

I realise this is pretty restrictive but I figure it's worth a shot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just started playing Child of Light and I’m totally enamored by it, if that fits your criteria and specs.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I enjoyed Child of Light too. It's no game of the year but I found it very charming.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'm not sure if it would run, but I might give it a go if I can't find anything else.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Buried alive posted:

Got it gifted to me last night by Kragger99 (thanks a metric fuckton mate) and I'm already playing it! It's gorgeous and runs like a dream, but I'm getting my arse handed to me; I haven't switched off from Bloodborne's mindset and I keep pushing attacks trying to rally. :blush:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Bomber Crew - WW2 ftl with a mission based campaign. Gets incredibly tense at points.

Sexy Brutale - Hitman mixed with Groundhog Day. My only real complaint is that there's no scenarios with multiple targets in the same place.

Oxygen Not Included - fun survival management game. Takes a good while to really figure out.

Maia - great concept but glacial development as it's one guy.

Nights of Azure - fun action RPG with a surprisingly okay plot. Has some really goofy fanservice.

So I want Bomber Crew and Sexy Brutale a lot, and the rest would be "wait for a sale" if they weren't already on sale.

Thanks!

Reality Loser posted:

Opinion: You have too many games on your Wishlist.

I'm working on it, I'm working on it! I just don't have infinite money...

il_cornuto posted:

- can run on a terrible laptop that can't even run a lot of modern 2D games, let alone 3D ones (e.g. can do Cook, Serve, Delicious and Civ IV, can't do Hearthstone or Darkest Dungeon)
- is turn based
- is playable windowed
- is £5 or less

868-HACK

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

868-HACK looks interesting, I'll probably go for that. Thanks!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Xander gifted me The Grandfather. It is...super weird. Like going to one of those modern art museums where you aren't really sure what's going on.

It opens with the Grandfather on his toilet being yelled at by his wife. Then he is in the womb. Then we are walking down a butthole and find our severed right arm?

Then you control his floating severed head in a basement with the washing machine, a furnace, and a light with a switch that changes the light colors. I broke the machine with the furnace, it caught on fire, a bunch of blood was on the floor. End Scene.

Ok we are back in the house, with an umbilical cord, and a 3rd eye. Back into the butthole, we walk a bit and, oh poo poo, it's my leg.

The floating head is now in the bathroom. First I turn on the shower. Blood starts overflowing. Then the sink. Blood. The blood has gotten high enough to float the candles on the floor up to the shower curtain, which is now on fire. Finally the toilet. You guessed it - blood. BUT - it doesn't just flow out. It shoots out in big, coagulated blobs.

This game is weird as hell. Do you like art? Are you willing to gamble with 50 cents?

Not my cup of tea but I appreciated the trip. Thanks Xander!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Xtanstic posted:

Both of the Prototype games are exactly this, with the second one being slightly less aggravating with the enemy helicopters not stun-locking you. I've not played FC4 so can't compare, but I enjoyed both P1 and P2 enough to finish them both.
There is a pack of both of them on sale right now, but it looks to be more expensive than just buying them separately.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 25, 2017

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

il_cornuto posted:

- is turn based
- is playable windowed
- is £5 or less

Lisa, Sproggiwood, Dungeons of Dredmor.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Bomber Crew
- Sexy Brutale
- Card Quest
- Oxygen Not Included
- Maia
- Nights of Azure
- Interstellar Transport Company
- anything else of note on my wishlist?

Like, I've gotten most of my top-shelf stuff this sale so far, but as I transition into post-xmas stuff, what should I focus on? Aside from playing more CKII/Lost Dimension/StarCrawlers/etc, I mean.

I can tell you about Distant Worlds: Universe. It's an absolutely massive real-time 4x which focuses very heavily on the space side of things, there's buildings but they're distinctly secondary. You have a civilian infrastructure of people going around doing their things and it's important to learn how to work with that to ensure you have the resources your empire needs, while you build stations, ships, facilities, etc.. all around the galaxy. It takes a bit of getting used to because the UI isn't amazing, but you can automate essentially any aspect of your empire and it'll be handled competently. So if you only want to worry about offensive operations you can let the economy and defensive fleets and all that run themselves. Or you could automate the military and role-play as a the diplomatic corps. Or automate literally everything except a single ship and fly around being Picard.

There's ship design which is kind of clunky in pure UI terms but exceedingly good in gameplay terms, you can build radically different ships and it has big impacts on combat and stuff. There's a stupidly huge number of components to choose from, backed by a vast research tree (Or rather three parallel ones you research simultaneously).

Also they drat near never put the game on sale, I think this is the third one ever. Universe is the 'complete' edition, they spent a lot of years making it and adding stuff with expansions, but that seems to have ended a few years ago now. Anyway, game takes a little learning, but it's well worth it. (If you want space 4x you can learn far quicker, and with far more mods, look to Stellaris).

Fake edit: Why the Christ don't you have The Old Gods? It's one of the best CK2 DLCs!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

I can tell you about Distant Worlds: Universe. It's an absolutely massive real-time 4x which focuses very heavily on the space side of things, there's buildings but they're distinctly secondary. You have a civilian infrastructure of people going around doing their things and it's important to learn how to work with that to ensure you have the resources your empire needs, while you build stations, ships, facilities, etc.. all around the galaxy. It takes a bit of getting used to because the UI isn't amazing, but you can automate essentially any aspect of your empire and it'll be handled competently. So if you only want to worry about offensive operations you can let the economy and defensive fleets and all that run themselves. Or you could automate the military and role-play as a the diplomatic corps. Or automate literally everything except a single ship and fly around being Picard.

There's ship design which is kind of clunky in pure UI terms but exceedingly good in gameplay terms, you can build radically different ships and it has big impacts on combat and stuff. There's a stupidly huge number of components to choose from, backed by a vast research tree (Or rather three parallel ones you research simultaneously).

Also they drat near never put the game on sale, I think this is the third one ever. Universe is the 'complete' edition, they spent a lot of years making it and adding stuff with expansions, but that seems to have ended a few years ago now. Anyway, game takes a little learning, but it's well worth it. (If you want space 4x you can learn far quicker, and with far more mods, look to Stellaris).

Fake edit: Why the Christ don't you have The Old Gods? It's one of the best CK2 DLCs!

Oh man, that makes it sound incredible - moreso than I'd already heard! Lemme slot it it under Sexy Brutale~

Also Old Gods: I hear they're mostly a "play as [x]" DLC, and I don't want to play as the Vikings yet! I just got into CKII like a week or two ago, and I've been grabbing the more essential DLC like Way of Life and Conclave instead.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Strix I want your trip report on the WW2 FTL Bomber game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh man, that makes it sound incredible - moreso than I'd already heard! Lemme slot it it under Sexy Brutale~

Also Old Gods: I hear they're mostly a "play as [x]" DLC, and I don't want to play as the Vikings yet! I just got into CKII like a week or two ago, and I've been grabbing the more essential DLC like Way of Life and Conclave instead.

Ah okay that's fine then, yeah it's one of the "play as [x]" ones, though it's also probably the best "play as [x]" one because it adds the third-coolest dudes (After Zoroastrians and Zunists) and easily the best start date.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

Strix I want your trip report on the WW2 FTL Bomber game.

You'll have it when I pick it up! (send help my backlog isn't just flooded my review backlog is flooded)

Mister Adequate posted:

Ah okay that's fine then, yeah it's one of the "play as [x]" ones, though it's also probably the best "play as [x]" one because it adds the third-coolest dudes (After Zoroastrians and Zunists) and easily the best start date.

:psyduck: A random goon just gifted me it, so when I'm done trying to unite Ireland I'll give the Vikings a go?!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

StrixNebulosa posted:

:psyduck: A random goon just gifted me it, so when I'm done trying to unite Ireland I'll give the Vikings a go?!

Yeah enjoy :D Have fun raiding once you have the hang of the game! Happy Christmas!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah enjoy :D Have fun raiding once you have the hang of the game! Happy Christmas!

Thank you!!

aba
Oct 2, 2013

il_cornuto posted:

- is turn based
- is playable windowed
- is £5 or less

Maybe SancturaryRPG: Black Edition? It's a funny rogue-lite I've played and can recommend.

Comedy option: The Longest Journey (but you should play it anyway).

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Little King's Story is as great as people have been hyping it up, but the PC port release was, apparently, a mess. I've been playing it over the past few days and I can say the game works perfectly fine sans a few rare bugs (save often!). You can play it at 60 FPS, but don't bother, it breaks scripting. Just stick with 30 FPS, the framerate is rock-solid.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

il_cornuto posted:

- is turn based
- is playable windowed
- is £5 or less

The Steam ports of Chip's Challenge 1+2 might fit that bill, although they have an always-online requirement for some absolutely asinine reason. I... guess they're not strictly turnbased, but the majority of levels let you play at a reasonably relaxed pace.

Frozen Synapse will likely run like molasses, but should at least run.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, it turns out I might not "need" to rely on the Bad Laptop anyway, but if I end up having to I've got a few good ideas now. I played the hell out of Frozen Synapse when it first came out, that game is great.

I've beaten roguelikes that I believe are considered harder than Sproggiwood, but the twinned enemies just mess me up and I gave up trying to deal with them a couple of levels from the end.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 26, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Blattdorf posted:

Little King's Story is as great as people have been hyping it up, but the PC port release was, apparently, a mess. I've been playing it over the past few days and I can say the game works perfectly fine sans a few rare bugs (save often!). You can play it at 60 FPS, but don't bother, it breaks scripting. Just stick with 30 FPS, the framerate is rock-solid.

It was a lot worse at release, including controls to 8 directions on all schemes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Bomber Crew
- Sexy Brutale

Right.

Bomber Crew is tons of fun. You basically manage a World War II Lancaster bomber crew. You get a crew of airmen and send them out on missions, during which you have to give them orders ("pilot, ascend to medium altitude", "mechanic, fix that shorting out electric system", "gunners, target these Nazi fighter planes") and basically babysit them. The gameplay is streamlined and fairly simple, which is good as the game gets hectic as gently caress later on when you're trying to dodge massive carpet AA while German jets strafe your plane mercilessly. Very much recommended.

Sexy Brutale is basically "Clue meets Groundhog Day". You're trying to prevent a bunch of murders by living the moments over and over as you try to figure out the chains of events that led to the victims' deaths and how you can prevent them. It's a fun game, and the PC version is definitely the one to get. The console versions are kinda choppy.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've got $51.00 in my steam wallet, but I'm really out of touch with what the kids are playing these days. I don't really care about "xXxPUB6: SIEGE OF WWII" kind of games anymore. I'm looking for really quaint stuff. The most expensive thing on my wishlist right now is Civ VI but I probably won't ever buy it, then EU4 which I also probably won't buy. I'm really considering Legend of Grimrock 2 even though I never finished the first one, and basically all the games made by Zacktronics. Suggestions for cheap stuff?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Grimrock 2 was heads and shoulders above the first one, it was way better and its a tragedy that it sold maybe 10% as well and the devs pretty much ran out of money because of lackluster sales. Get it, play it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Grimrock 2 was heads and shoulders above the first one, it was way better and its a tragedy that it sold maybe 10% as well and the devs pretty much ran out of money because of lackluster sales. Get it, play it.

I was always curious about why I never heard anything about Grimrock 3 and if that is the case then that is really disappointing.

Though I'm not sure where they would go from GR2 without being just a retread.

Eternal Hobo
Nov 7, 2008
I have $45 set aside to spend and I'm looking at Hellblade, Night in the Woods, and PUBG. I can get two of the three and would like opinions. How different is PUBG compared to H1Z1? I found that game to be fun but kind of janky, is this more of the same since it was just in early access?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

drunken officeparty posted:

I've got $51.00 in my steam wallet, but I'm really out of touch with what the kids are playing these days. I don't really care about "xXxPUB6: SIEGE OF WWII" kind of games anymore. I'm looking for really quaint stuff. The most expensive thing on my wishlist right now is Civ VI but I probably won't ever buy it, then EU4 which I also probably won't buy. I'm really considering Legend of Grimrock 2 even though I never finished the first one, and basically all the games made by Zacktronics. Suggestions for cheap stuff?
Well that's pretty generic. What do you mean by quaint stuff? This is perhaps the best year for games on record and there's way too much good stuff to list.

Like if you wanted my top games of the year contenders: Prey, Hollow Knight, Night in the Woods, Cuphead, Hellblade, A Hat in Time, and many others are all excellent

• Locked thread