Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wonder Woman is average at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gatts posted:

Hey guys...I’m going to do this.

Kylo Ren is what happens if Pa Kent falters when raising Clark. If makes one singular massive misstep succumbing to fear like Luke, it’s over.

Not really. Jonathan and Martha were two loving and supportive parents. The moment his powers started manifesting, they didn't ship him off to live with his weird, severely religious uncle.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Davros1 posted:

Not really. Jonathan and Martha were two loving and supportive parents. The moment his powers started manifesting, they didn't ship him off to live with his weird, severely religious uncle.

A Superman whose father was a prepper would be really interesting

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jenny Angel posted:

Would you extend this same indignant defense to the women and girls that helped make recent superhero blockbusters starring Harley Quinn, Katniss Everdeen, and Bella Swan the runaway successes that they were? I'm honestly not trying to do any gotcha stuff here, I just think it'd legitimately rule if male feminist allies were also dedicated to protecting the honor of Team Edward. You can make this happen my guy

Up until recently I wouldn't have, but I've come to realize it's more important to understand why women like them and what they get out of it than dismiss them just because I might not like (some of) those movies personally or be uncomfortable with their success.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Look he's just a mess right now.

Seriously, people can't take anything Affleck says right now at face value. He's drinking heavily again, his support network is supposedly starting to ditch him because he won't help himself and it's really impossible to overstate the capacity of an addict for not only lying to others, but for self-delusion. There's a reason he's still babbling on about directing a Batman solo movie despite having been sacked from The Batman and his script tossed by Matt Reeves: Because doing Batman is the one thing that gets him attention from anyone right now.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

Up until recently I wouldn't have, but I've come to realize it's more important to understand why women like them and what they get out of it than dismiss them just because I might not like (some of) those movies personally or be uncomfortable with their success.

Hell yeah, I'll take it

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

Seriously, people can't take anything Affleck says right now at face value. He's drinking heavily again, his support network is supposedly starting to ditch him because he won't help himself and it's really impossible to overstate the capacity of an addict for not only lying to others, but for self-delusion. There's a reason he's still babbling on about directing a Batman solo movie despite having been sacked from The Batman and his script tossed by Matt Reeves: Because doing Batman is the one thing that gets him attention from anyone right now.

gently caress :smith:

Wait so he didn't step down on his own volition?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

It's really important for autistic children to see Ben Affleck assassinating people to know that they, too, can dream. Oh, is it bad all of a sudden that, in this day and age, just by checking their email, everyone can save up to three thousand dollars on a used or pre-owned Mazda?

Lmao

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This isn’t loving hard to understand. There are people out there that aren’t white males. They want to see protagonists and casts made up of non-white males. It doesn’t matter if it is made by big evil Disney. In fact, many people are happy it is because it can be seen as a sign of “hey. We can carry a movie too and it’s not just for white men.”

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wait so he didn't step down on his own volition?

Affleck went into inpatient alcohol rehab about a month after it was first reported that Reeves was rumored to be in negotiations to take over The Batman. Then it came out that Reeves was throwing out the Affleck / Terrio / Johns script and WB started doing damage control through their PR flacks. Then Affleck started making noise about not knowing how much longer he'd hang onto the role. And then WB announced Flashpoint, which is the perfect way to swap Batman actors. At the same time, Affleck was spotted buying literal hundreds of dollars' worth of booze--it's ghoulish that celebrities are followed like this--and he was talking about wanting to marry the SNL producer he was banging on the side.

He also puffed up considerably by the time they were doing Justice League re-shoots, and speaking from experience you don't get that puffed-up unless you're severely dehydrated, and is clearly hammered in some of the media kit pieces.

He is not in a good place right now.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

This isn’t loving hard to understand. There are people out there that aren’t white males. They want to see protagonists and casts made up of non-white males. It doesn’t matter if it is made by big evil Disney. In fact, many people are happy it is because it can be seen as a sign of “hey. We can carry a movie too and it’s not just for white men.”

I'm not white and it really pissed me off that Disney tried COPYWRITING A MEXICAN HOLIDAY for their loving movie. gently caress that and gently caress them. Oh, but they hired a Mexican street artist after the backlash so it's okay! gently caress outta here with that.

Movie was okay at least, glad I used my MoviePass to see it. Could've went a little less hard on every single stereotype imaginable Frida but no Chavela? Shameful but hey, that's Hollywood for ya.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

All those new Pixar movies are sucker poo poo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mordiceius posted:

Thing is, Coco isn't about Mexicans. Is about Mexicans filtered through Disney's lenses. It did resonate with people because it was a sappy feel good story but most of the audience has already moved on to other things.

Eugenio Derbez, Diego Luna, Gael Garcia, Iñarritu, el Chivo, Del Toro being a successful actors/directors in Hollywood is more of a positive impact for Mexican society than Coco can ever hope to be.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Zod plays a dope Frankenstein's monster.

edit:

In black-and-white, the "Let them eat cake" beat gets a lot sexier.

edit:

Take a moment to give Scoot McNairy some props, here. His performance in this movie is excellent.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 25, 2017

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

ruddiger posted:

I'm not white and it really pissed me off that Disney tried COPYWRITING A MEXICAN HOLIDAY for their loving movie. gently caress that and gently caress them. Oh, but they hired a Mexican street artist after the backlash so it's okay! gently caress outta here with that.

Movie was okay at least, glad I used my MoviePass to see it. Could've went a little less hard on every single stereotype imaginable Frida but no Chavela? Shameful but hey, that's Hollywood for ya.

Haha what? Can someone fill me in on this?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Haha what? Can someone fill me in on this?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/10/us/disney-trademark-day-dead/index.html

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Eugenio Derbez, Diego Luna, Gael Garcia, Iñarritu, el Chivo, Del Toro being a successful actors/directors in Hollywood is more of a positive impact for Mexican society than Coco can ever hope to be.

I don't think anyone's really disagreeing with this, is the thing. It's just that the existence of greater positive impacts doesn't inherently negate smaller ones. If Disney, the ur-arbiter of what is Safe for movies targeting white Americans, has decided that targeting ethnic minorities is also cool and good, then that says really good things about the direction the film industry is going. :shrug: Like, I don't think this'll necessarily lead to, as HUNDU put it, a black woman being Kevin Feige's bottle-washer; my hope is that we'll see a black woman Kevin Feige (who'll hopefully be less of a tyrannical idiot).

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

quote:

This isn't the first time Disney has sought to trademark a controversial phrase.
In 2011, it tried to secure "SEAL Team Six," the Navy SEAL team that captured and killed Osama bin Laden, seeking exclusive rights for use on items from video games to backpacks. However, after receiving an overwhelming response from critics, Disney withdrew the application "out of deference to the Navy."

hahahaha

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

I guess all those women and girls that made WW such a success were... what? Wrong about their own sense of empowerment and representation? Idiot dupes for the corporate profit gristmill? Traitors to the cause?

Women and girls have made female-led movies movies successes before, and felt empowered and represented by them. But Wonder Woman is the one that matters because white men have noticed it for the first time.

Nasgate posted:

I like how minorities becoming close to, if not as or more profitable as white men is not empowering because capitalism is bad.

This rather sums it up nicely - it doesn't matter that minorities (or women) have felt themselves empowered by movies before, what really empowers them is being "as or more profitable as white men".

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 25, 2017

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
HOW WAS THERE AN ARMADILLO ON PARADISE ISLAND

HOW

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Women and girls have made female-led movies movies successes before, and felt empowered and represented by them. But Wonder Woman is the one that matters because white men have noticed it for the first time.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't think anyone's really disagreeing with this, is the thing. It's just that the existence of greater positive impacts doesn't inherently negate smaller ones. If Disney, the ur-arbiter of what is Safe for movies targeting white Americans, has decided that targeting ethnic minorities is also cool and good, then that says really good things about the direction the film industry is going.

No it doesn't! That's my point. Targeted marketing is the goal in and of itself, changing the hue of Hollywood or whatever is something they actively resist while having Woody and Buzz Lightyear celebrate Diwali. Did the Cosby Show lead to a ton of sitcoms with black casts? Yes. What happened to the industry, then? It got richer and whiter.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Mordiceius posted:

This is hardly what is being discussed. It's prudent to ask, "To what end?" and who stands to benefit the most from these revolutionary events.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't think anyone's really disagreeing with this, is the thing. It's just that the existence of greater positive impacts doesn't inherently negate smaller ones. If Disney, the ur-arbiter of what is Safe for movies targeting white Americans, has decided that targeting ethnic minorities is also cool and good, then that says really good things about the direction the film industry is going. :shrug: Like, I don't think this'll necessarily lead to, as HUNDU put it, a black woman being Kevin Feige's bottle-washer; my hope is that we'll see a black woman Kevin Feige (who'll hopefully be less of a tyrannical idiot).

Oprah and Shonda been at that level tho.

but I guess we're talking about universal appeal (re: do straight white guys like it)

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
LMAO you motherfuckers think a prominent black director making a blockbuster featuring a predominantly POC cast is a good thing?? To what end, I say!

TO WHAT END.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

LMAO you motherfuckers think a prominent black director making a blockbuster featuring a predominantly POC cast is a good thing?? To what end, I say!

TO WHAT END.

It’s good for the director and actors certainly. And possibly for increasing black representation in Hollywood. And it’s very good for the rich white dudes running Disney.

I’m not convinced that it’s revolutionary.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Since it's not like the alternative is a bunch of progressives seizing Hollywood and churning out leftist hagiographies of Eugene Debs which become the spark that starts the revolution that topples the vampiric American oligarchy, some black dudes and lady dudes getting to direct a few 500m+ movies is a good thing, for some sense of good. Good, like, it's good when you see a bunch puppies not good like things are going to be okay.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tyler Perry would be a legit good place to go to get a black action blockbuster made. He has the money, he owns a studio in Atlanta, and has a distribution chain. The question would be if he wants to produce outside of comedy and melodrama. It would be a risky proposition for him (as all blockbuster films are)

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

TO WHAT END.

So discussion is simply off the table? Do you think corporate diversity is purely a good thing?

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 25, 2017

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

KVeezy3 posted:

So discussion is simply off the table? Do you think corporate diversity is purely a good thing?

Keeping discussions on the table only serves to enrich white table company CEOs. We need more off the table thinking, not less!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Hi guys, just gonna chime in and say not every mexican LOVES those people. Like Eugenio Derbez is a trash comedian who stole jokes from other less popular comedians (and cheated on his ex-wife with a younger lady if I remember correctly, so there might be a skeleton of sexual harassment in his closet). Most of them are seen as "white" mexicans by the general public, a group that does have a lot of privileges, but then I would have to dig on the whole thing that Televisa, the media where they majority came from, only hires people who aren't too brown, if you have blue eyes much better(the following was confirmed from a good friend of mine who got to do her practices on Televisa. There's also the stories of other girls being convinced/coerced in to sex with promises of fame and getting fired afterwards and so on).

Yeah. We still have racism and classicism problems in media and that's so loving sad. :sigh:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

KVeezy3 posted:

Not speaking for the dude you quoted but, overall, probably um....yes?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
As a poc I think of it like Wells Fargo backing an LGBT parade
It's a nice step but more potentially toxic in the long run given how such a surface level gesture of "wokeness" provides them with cover for all the actually hosed up poo poo they do (as demonstrated by all the well meaning whites itt).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Desperado Bones posted:

Hi guys, just gonna chime in and say not every mexican LOVES those people. Like Eugenio Derbez is a trash comedian who stole jokes from other less popular comedians (and cheated on his ex-wife with a younger lady if I remember correctly, so there might be a skeleton of sexual harassment in his closet). Most of them are seen as "white" mexicans by the general public, a group that does have a lot of privileges, but then I would have to dig on the whole thing that Televisa, the media where they majority came from, only hires people who aren't too brown, if you have blue eyes much better(the following was confirmed from a good friend of mine who got to do her practices on Televisa. There's also the stories of other girls being convinced/coerced in to sex with promises of fame and getting fired afterwards and so on).

Yeah. We still have racism and classicism problems in media and that's so loving sad. :sigh:

As it is with everything it depends on the demography, the average middle-low class Mexican (and thus the group most benefited by positive depictions in media) love those guys. Derbez in particular is so popular that his most recent film, How to be a Latin Lover took the #1 spot at the mexican box office at release, surpassing GOTG2 on its second week. His previous film was also a hit with mexican audiences IIRC. A lot of film Students at the UNAM (one of the two major colleges in the country)are also inspired by Iñarritu, Cuarón and Del Toro successes.

The ones who tend to be more polarizing with the mexican audience are Gael García Bernal and Diego Luna.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

As a poc I think of it like Wells Fargo backing an LGBT parade

Pinkwashing and greenwashing are well known at this point. Again, how any of this is controversial is just weird.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Not speaking for the dude you quoted but, overall, probably um....yes?

Let's not forget why these diversity programs were popularized and instituted in the first place: to avoid lawsuits. Assuagement of guilt aside (Exploitation is okay as long as women/POC are allowed to do so) , what if corporate diversity programs don't even work on a superficial level?

https://hbr.org/2016/01/diversity-policies-dont-help-women-or-minorities-and-they-make-white-men-feel-threatened

Disregarding that sorting people into categories inherently dehumanizes them, telling people what not to do and what not to say breeds feelings of ressentiment among people with actual power.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022103115300068

In celebrating the supposed positive benefits of corporate diversity programs, we do not recognize what we lose: gift wrapping corporations an easy way to symbolically purge themselves of gender/racial bias.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 25, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pinkwashing and greenwashing are well known at this point. Again, how any of this is controversial is just weird.

Talking about this sort of things when it comes to representation is walking on eggshells. On one hand, you have the very loud right wing loonies or sheltered nerds who squeal social justice this that and another thing because they had the AUDACITY to put a black man or an asian lady or a latino man in lead roles in their popcorn film. HOW DARE THEY! On the other hand, any kind of criticism against these characters is seen as an attack on said representation and you're lumped into or close to the above group. Where representation in of itself is a triumph, regardless of the quality of the characters. Kind of the bad identity politics you see in, well, politics.

And that's all within the bubble you're arguing against. I don't dare tread the ground you are because I'm a white dude and my opinions on this sort of thing are already seen as less than worthless.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

KVeezy3 posted:

Disregarding that sorting people into categories inherently dehumanizes them...

Except that already happens big time in Hollywood and has for decades? The filmmakers are usually the people saying "we can't take a risk on black film" or "we can't have an female/asian/hispanic lead". They're the ones generally making the rules about categorization and they hold all the power.

I don't see much of a path elsewhere except to play by the rules that they set. I mean, OK, you get your occasional Denzel Washington who can play anything and a guy like Spike Lee who carved his way through the indie route, but let's get real here at least and try not to pretend that these barriers don't exist and, further, that consistently (if slowly) addressing them is inherently, overall, a good a thing.

I'm not sure what you're arguing but your rationale reads a lot like folks who take issue with affirmative action and such.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Being unable to see a path elsewhere is precisely the point of political powerlessness which should embolden us to think critically instead of passively acting. It's not an accident that Trump and the alt-right has used leftist/anti-capitalist language to amass influence while corporate democrats have only ineffectual personal attacks to fall back on.

And if it matters so much, I myself am a minority in the US.

Jimbot posted:

And that's all within the bubble you're arguing against. I don't dare tread the ground you are because I'm a white dude and my opinions on this sort of thing are already seen as less than worthless.

Mark Fisher's "Exiting the Vampire Castle" is apt here.
http://www.thenorthstar.info/?p=11299

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 25, 2017

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

KVeezy3 posted:

To avoid having to get into the semanntics of what corporate diversity means in this context, I will simply state that increased representation in films, even in corporate driven popcorn films, is inherently better than the lack thereof.

I also think comparing a film like BP to a bank putting it's logo on a parade float unfairly minimizes the level of effort and talent involved from this particular cast and crew. Not to mention the importance of these kinds of films to their audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
If you find yourself using the word "important," to describe a superhero movie, something's gone way wrong.

• Locked thread