Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I also think comparing a film like BP to a bank putting it's logo on a parade float unfairly minimizes the level of effort and talent involved from this particular cast and crew. Not to mention the importance of these kinds of films to their audience.

“Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

As it is with everything it depends on the demography, the average middle-low class Mexican (and thus the group most benefited by positive depictions in media) love those guys. Derbez in particular is so popular that his most recent film, How to be a Latin Lover took the #1 spot at the mexican box office at release, surpassing GOTG2 on its second week. His previous film was also a hit with mexican audiences IIRC. A lot of film Students at the UNAM (one of the two major colleges in the country)are also inspired by Iñarritu, Cuarón and Del Toro successes.

The ones who tend to be more polarizing with the mexican audience are Gael García Bernal and Diego Luna.

:negative: I know that. I was there~ but honestly, It makes me upset knowing people have forgotten, don't even bring the subject or care, that Derbez went so far to steal a whole character and sketch from Bustamantes. Such a fangirl I am. And yeah, Diego got some poo poo after the earthquake for even daring to help out.

But anyways, I do would love to see people from indigenous or Afro-Mexican background, or any other as we are a melting pot or many things, get more jobs in the industry, or important roles. Just. I dunno, it would be great.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

KVeezy3 posted:

“Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.”

Kay.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Talking about this sort of things when it comes to representation is walking on eggshells. On one hand, you have the very loud right wing loonies or sheltered nerds who squeal social justice this that and another thing because they had the AUDACITY to put a black man or an asian lady or a latino man in lead roles in their popcorn film. HOW DARE THEY! On the other hand, any kind of criticism against these characters is seen as an attack on said representation and you're lumped into or close to the above group. Where representation in of itself is a triumph, regardless of the quality of the characters. Kind of the bad identity politics you see in, well, politics.

And that's all within the bubble you're arguing against. I don't dare tread the ground you are because I'm a white dude and my opinions on this sort of thing are already seen as less than worthless.
It's delicate, to be sure. You have people in the Star Wars thread(s) often unfairly characterizing ANY criticisms of the new film as coming from "trolled alt right nerds". On the other hand you have imo Red Letter Media often using attacks on corporate diversity as a way to pander to their YouTube scumfuck fans who want diversity attacked in general and ending in a line of logic that included "Why would black kids want their toys to look like them? Take it from us, two old white dudes."

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

If you think I'm discussing the matter too heavy handedly or arguing in bad faith, let's not forget that this discussion was started due to people proclaiming Black Panther the movie to be a revolutionary event.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's delicate, to be sure. You have people in the Star Wars thread(s) often unfairly characterizing ANY criticisms of the new film as coming from "trolled alt right nerds". On the other hand you have imo Red Letter Media often using attacks on corporate diversity as a way to pander to their YouTube scumfuck fans who want diversity attacked in general and ending in a line of logic that included "Why would black kids want their toys to look like them? Take it from us, two old white dudes."

I recall how RLM criticized Lucas for putting Samuel Jackson in the movie, arguing he was only doing it for the "urban demographics", and then made a joke about black people stealing his tv.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The ones who tend to be more polarizing with the mexican audience are Gael García Bernal and Diego Luna.

Why?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Desperado Bones posted:

cheated on his ex-wife with a younger lady if I remember correctly, so there might be a skeleton of sexual harassment in his closet

What's your a to b on this one?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

They took a diva attitude after hitting it big that pissed a lot of people who then started to seeing them like they were "too good for Mexico".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

By comparison, Set It Off is so revolutionary it might as well star Assata Shakur (and it also made a hell of a lot of money). Girl's Trip is simply a return to something that was fairly commonplace 10 or 20 years ago. What are we talking about, exactly? Can you imagine someone talking about Drumline or Roll Bounce as if they were some watershed moment? What seems to have happened is that Hollywood got way whiter after the early 2000s but now we have PR agencies for the studios patting themselves on the back for allowing Chadwick Boseman to play every famous black man that's ever lived. Just absurd and ahistorical.

What specifically seems "new" about Black Panther is that it is a "black" film in the homogenized crossover brandscape - again, seems like a real step back.

I am talking about the movie crossing the 100mm domestic line by being a movie primarily aimed at black women and is the first movie to do so while being produced, written, and starring by black people. Here's an article abput its black producer and his strategy (seen in previous movies like Think Like A Movie) about unapologetically making movies for minorities and raking in the cash as a result: http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-will-packer-inc-20170808-story.html

The movies you mentioned are great but they do not have nearly as much cultural cachet or the uniformly brown professionals shepherding their movies into theaters.

And for this discussion to progress we need to decide what we are talking about, like you said. I am stating that greater cultural presence of black starring movies who then enrich black people is a good thing. You can talk about getting more money in an inherently corrupt capitalistic system is not a good thing, not that Im saying you are, but if you are then we are not even sharing the same terms for a debate here and discussion here.

I dont see any benefit to talking about BP if we cant agree on that otherwise we'll just be talking past each other.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Tyler Perry would be a legit good place to go to get a black action blockbuster made. He has the money, he owns a studio in Atlanta, and has a distribution chain. The question would be if he wants to produce outside of comedy and melodrama. It would be a risky proposition for him (as all blockbuster films are)

I would love Tyler Perry to create a legit competition for Hollywood and call it his own thing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gatts posted:

I would love Tyler Perry to create a legit competition for Hollywood and call it his own thing.

Peachtree Wood

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jimbot posted:

Talking about this sort of things when it comes to representation is walking on eggshells. On one hand, you have the very loud right wing loonies or sheltered nerds who squeal social justice this that and another thing because they had the AUDACITY to put a black man or an asian lady or a latino man in lead roles in their popcorn film. HOW DARE THEY! On the other hand, any kind of criticism against these characters is seen as an attack on said representation and you're lumped into or close to the above group. Where representation in of itself is a triumph, regardless of the quality of the characters. Kind of the bad identity politics you see in, well, politics.

Well, that's kinda the problem. Both are equally worthless. What nerds whining about canon think is rarely interesting, important, or consequential and anticritical acceptance of the importance of the Burger King Kids Club is completely disingenuous.

Shageletic posted:

I am talking about the movie crossing the 100mm domestic line by being a movie primarily aimed at black women and is the first movie to do so while being produced, written, and starring by black people. Here's an article abput its black producer and his strategy (seen in previous movies like Think Like A Movie) about unapologetically making movies for minorities and raking in the cash as a result: http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-will-packer-inc-20170808-story.html

And for this discussion to progress we need to decide what we are talking about, like you said. I am stating that greater cultural presence of black starring movies who then enrich black people is a good thing. You can talk about getting more money in an inherently corrupt capitalistic system is not a good thing, not that Im saying you are, but if you are then we are not even sharing the same terms for a debate here and discussion here.

While we're on the subject, then, Hollywood does not "enrich people". Hollywood makes specific people wealthy. I'm simply referring to resisting the urge to identify with corporate PR. For sure I'm not mad at Tiffany Haddish getting money, but at the same time, so what? Good for her. Jay-Z being a billionaire does not "empower" people.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Mutants motion posters.

https://twitter.com/NewMutantsFilm/status/944266831719747584

https://twitter.com/NewMutantsFilm/status/944992548275310592

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Well, that's kinda the problem. Both are equally worthless. What nerds whining about canon think is rarely interesting, important, or consequential and anticritical acceptance of the importance of the Burger King Kids Club is completely disingenuous.

While we're on the subject, then, Hollywood does not "enrich people". Hollywood makes specific people wealthy. I'm simply referring to resisting the urge to identify with corporate PR. For sure I'm not mad at Tiffany Haddish getting money, but at the same time, so what? Good for her. Jay-Z being a billionaire does not "empower" people.

Enrich means "making someone wealthy". That's the literal definition. You quoted me saying "empower" when I dont believe I used that word in my post. Im trying to get to the most basic level of agreed terms of debate here but that doesnt seem to be happening.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

Enrich means "making someone wealthy". That's the literal definition.

It's one of the definitions, the other is "improve or enhance the quality or value of". In contexts like this where we're contrasting the social and financial impact of the Hollywood machine it's maybe a bit too ambiguous

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If we're talking about "enrich" as in "make someone rich", who cares. No basis of discussion there.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Enrich means "making someone wealthy". That's the literal definition. You quoted me saying "empower" when I dont believe I used that word in my post. Im trying to get to the most basic level of agreed terms of debate here but that doesnt seem to be happening.
his terms seem pretty clear to me man i think this might be on you

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In these delicate times, would Disney have released a movie like Pocahontas as-is?

Answer: absolutely. That should illuminate every move they make "for people of color."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

In these delicate times, would Disney have released a movie like Pocahontas as-is?

Answer: absolutely. That should illuminate every move they make "for people of color."

Yup.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

If we're talking about "enrich" as in "make someone rich", who cares. No basis of discussion there.

You dont think black artists and entrepreneurs doing better and reaping the benefits of an imdustry that has traditionally gone out of its way to marginalize them is a good thing?

Black people doing well in business has been such a threat to the establishment that they would regularly go through and burn it down ala Black Wall Street. Black people gaining more wealth amd therefore more power is a challenge against the status quo.

You cited Cosby before, yes there have been rich black people before, but not ones that are explicitly making movies for other black people unapologetically while corraling the most omnipresent and culturally saturating machine ever made, Hollywood.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If you get rich off the status quo, you won't be the one who changes it. You just become another rich rear end in a top hat.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Jimbot posted:

If you get rich off the status quo, you won't be the one who changes it. You just become another rich rear end in a top hat.

Nublacks really hurt us because they're held up as bastions, and fail to recognize they only got rich by shucking and jiving.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bushisms.txt posted:

Nublacks really hurt us because they're held up as bastions, and fail to recognize they only got rich by shucking and jiving.

very true. if u aren't willing to finance your own film productions 100% staffed by the minority of my choosing, run your own cinemas, and distribute the Blu Rays in your BlackMart chain of superstores just sit he gently caress down and let the white man do his job

like lmao at the idea of moving a needle in the right direction. Fuckin SMASH THA DIAL make ur own movies mannnn or else ur just like a 2017 slave. wtf do half you retards even think you're arguing for?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As a white, 30-something middleclass male, I agree.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

If you find yourself using the word "important," to describe a superhero movie, something's gone way wrong.

Ben Hur?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
More like Spartacus. Ben Hur is bible EU fanfiction

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

bring back old gbs posted:

very true. if u aren't willing to finance your own film productions 100% staffed by the minority of my choosing, run your own cinemas, and distribute the Blu Rays in your BlackMart chain of superstores just sit he gently caress down and let the white man do his job

like lmao at the idea of moving a needle in the right direction. Fuckin SMASH THA DIAL make ur own movies mannnn or else ur just like a 2017 slave. wtf do half you retards even think you're arguing for?

There's clearly a difference between keeping your head down and down playing racism in whatever industry like Pharell, Charles Barkley, Stacey dash et al and using the system to further you and your people. It's why im hoping black panther sticks the landing and does more than fellate American capitalism.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
How can you possibly put Charles Barkley in the same category as Stacey Dash, you loon?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People seem to have the belief that he's a republican because of an offhand joke he made over a decade ago

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Al Borland Corp. posted:

People seem to have the belief that he's a republican because of an offhand joke he made over a decade ago

Uhh...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyyLF20Q_4A

He literally stumps for Democratic candidates in his home state

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

Well you've convinced me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I

For some reason I read that as Gnarls Barkley and then replaced THAT with Cee Lo Green

So I was thinking "What, because Glee covered gently caress You?"

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Rough Lobster posted:

How can you possibly put Charles Barkley in the same category as Stacey Dash, you loon?

:whitewater:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Al Borland Corp. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyyLF20Q_4A

He literally stumps for Democratic candidates in his home state

Charles Barkley is the ultimate Respectability Politics black celebrity who spends 95% of his time when he deigns to comment on society-at-large condescending to poor black people.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Charles Barkley is the ultimate Respectability Politics black celebrity who spends 95% of his time when he deigns to comment on society-at-large condescending to poor black people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Oty5qVeOc

Doesn't seem to be condescending to black people, rather telling white politicians to get their poo poo together.

Guy who posted images, those are literally unreadable to me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yes when up against Roy loving Moore.

Look up his thoughts on police brutality.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Barkley#Politics

I'll quote it for ya

quote:

Commenting on the Ferguson unrest, Barkley called the Ferguson looters "scumbags", praised the police officers who work in black neighborhoods, and said that he supports the decision made by the grand jury not to indict officer Darren Wilson in the Michael Brown shooting.[86] Previously, in 2013, Barkley expressed his agreement with the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the Trayvon Martin shooting.[86]

In 2014, when Barkley was asked about the rumor that Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson was being accused for not being "black enough" on the radio show Afternoons with Anthony and Rob Ellis, he said:

Unfortunately, as I tell my white friends, we as black people, we're never going to be successful, not because of you white people, but because of other black people. When you're black, you have to deal with so much crap in your life from other black people. It's a dirty, dark secret; I'm glad it's coming out. One of the reasons we're never going to be successful as a whole, because of other black people. And for some reason we are brainwashed to think, if you're not a thug or an idiot, you're not black enough. If you go to school, make good grades, speak intelligent, and don't break the law, you're not a good black person. And it's a dirty, dark secret. There are a lot of black people who are unintelligent, who don't have success. It's best to knock a successful black person down because they're intelligent, they speak well, they do well in school, and they're successful... We're the only ethnic group who say, 'Hey, if you go to jail, it gives you street cred.' It's just typical BS that goes on when you're black, man.[87]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Can we get back to talking about Coco?

I want to point out it's a film about stereotypical Mexican culture (which is fine latin americans loving love stereotypes especially ones that are 10x more racist than any american ones) but most non-mexican latinos don't like Mexicans. Like at all. In fact some actively hate them.

Also Dia de Los Muertos is only celebrated in Mexico. Everyone else thinks it's like super weird.

• Locked thread