Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

whatever her line is, rose could only reasonably expect her decision to end in both their deaths for no gain. She couldn't have known a literal space wizard would literally appear out of nowhere to save the day.

It's such a lovely message.

gently caress that a wing pilot in Jedi, he should have known that someone else was gonna make that sacrifice. Probably should have parked his spaceship and gone off to kindle hope in a little slave kid. That's what's really important, not standing up to fight fascism, just kiss someone and have hope that the next generation will sort it out.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Brother Entropy posted:

everyone is saved from what looks like a hopeless situation

buddy, I have some bad news about what happens in this movie

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Star Wars really only knows one story to tell and every movie from this point onward will just be endlessly spinning its wheels in "outmatched rebels barely scrape by against a relentless evil empire" so Disney can keep making them forever.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
From Botnik Studios:

just another posted:

The message is to be motivated by love (ie. the light side) and not hate (ie. the dark side). This is not a "centrist" message.

The light side that promotes love doesn't exist. The heroes of Star Wars have never fought for love. In almost every movie the heroes have been idiots who imagine that they're on a crusade against evil. Sometimes the diegetic universe of the movies agrees with this statement, more so in the sequel movies. With the Last Jedi, the conflict has become preserving Star Wars itself from people who would end it: Kylo Ren declares that he will destroy the Jedi, Sith, and the rest - in other words, stupid institutions of Star Wars. He's basically saying that he is going to end Star Wars itself so that something else can be born in its place.

This is why hope is symbolized by a kid putting on the Official Star Wars Decoder Ring (Resistance Side). When Rose talks about saving what you love, she means saving a Star Wars hero - she's explicitly introduced as a fan.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 26, 2017

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I read Finn's attempted suicide run as being doomed to failure even if he had succeeded in crashing into the beam as it fired, the top of his skimmer was already disintegrating from being near the beam, and he was bumped out of the way right as it went to full power. I didn't see that scene being like Mr. A Wing from ROTJ (remember how the bridge crew on the Executor were talking about how the shields were down?) Finn thought it was that kind of situation, but everything else in the scene was telling you he was wrong.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ATP_Power posted:

I read Finn's attempted suicide run as being doomed to failure even if he had succeeded in crashing into the beam as it fired, the top of his skimmer was already disintegrating from being near the beam, and he was bumped out of the way right as it went to full power. I didn't see that scene being like Mr. A Wing from ROTJ (remember how the bridge crew on the Executor were talking about how the shields were down?) Finn thought it was that kind of situation, but everything else in the scene was telling you he was wrong.

So, what, he shouldn't even try if there's a chance of failure?

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

I think Star Wars really only knows one story to tell and every movie from this point onward will just be endlessly spinning its wheels in "outmatched rebels barely scrape by against a relentless evil empire" so Disney can keep making them forever.

Pisses me off really.

There are great stories to be told from the point of view of the large political organization fighting rebels or terrorists.

There are really good references in modern film for Star Wars to take from. Be it the films of Nolan or Spielberg or Del Torro or even De Palma.

"Han Solo is a hero. A war hero...this is peacetime." Would have sold me so hard.

TheNewt fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 26, 2017

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

From Botnik Studios:

The light side that promotes love doesn't exist. The heroes of Star Wars have never fought for love. In almost every movie the heroes have been idiots who imagine that they're on a crusade against evil. Sometimes the diegetic universe of the movies agrees with this statement, more so in the sequel movies. With the Last Jedi, the conflict has become preserving Star Wars itself from people who would end it: Kylo Ren declares that he will destroy the Jedi, Sith, and the rest - in other words, stupid institutions of Star Wars. He's basically saying that he is going to end Star Wars itself so that something else can be born in its place.

This is why hope is symbolized by a kid putting on the Official Star Wars Decoder Ring (Resistance Side). When Rose talks about saving what you love, she means saving a Star Wars hero - she's explicitly introduced as a fan.

Okay but on the other hand, Rose's message is that you should be motivated by love and not hate. This is not a "centrist" message.

Also IIRC it was stated outright that Finn would not have succeeded ("It's too late!"), and that he was told to turn back only after everyone else died and it was clear they failed. Rose saved him from a heroic but fruitless sacrifice, which was in keeping with her message (and a message of Poe's arc as well) that acts of individual "heroism" oriented towards selfish gratification are actually a net loss for the people you're ostensibly helping.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Arglebargle III posted:

So, what, he shouldn't even try if there's a chance of failure?

You could read it that way, my interpretation was closer to "listen to your friends and don't throw your life away simply because you think the cause demands it."

Regardless of whether you think it was right or a good message is one thing, but my point was that I think the scene was very clear in conveying the fact that Finn would have died and not stopped the shot if he had not been knocked out of the way at the last minute.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You know in a way Del Torro Is the modern George Lucas.

gently caress take Pacific Rim and make it in the star wars universe and that would be pretty drat awesome.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheNewt posted:

You know in a way Del Torro Is the modern George Lucas.

Surely that must be Peter Jackson? He even went back and made a prequel trilogy that made loads of money despite people who enjoyed the original trilogy not liking it. :v:

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

TheNewt posted:

Do you understand choke points and defensive battle tactics at all?

new thread title please

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ATP_Power posted:

The beam doesn't go full power until literally the moment Rose kisses him. The kiss of wisdom is literally highlighted by a massive explosion in the distance. The only reason Finn didn't die from sitting in the beam long enough for his Honda CivicSkimmer to start melting is because the writers thought it would be better to have Rose fly in out of nowhere to ram him just as he was about to reach the cannon.

It's arguably the dumbest scene of an already magnificently stupid movie full of really stupid scenes.

Brother Entropy posted:

she's expressing what's important in the fight, not saying fighting at all is bad

rose is introduced in the movie grieving that a loved one died like a big impressive hero over a pyrrhic victory that ultimately saved no one and her climax is stopping that from happening again

and her faith that saving what's important to you is paramount is rewarded afterwards when between the lessons that luke and poe learned earlier, everyone is saved from what looks like a hopeless situation

Rose' sister died saving what was left of the fleet. The dreadnought would have killed those ships, and the bombers were called in immediately after BB8's drama in the X-wing played out.

It was the rest of the rebels who died on the way to and on SaltHoth whose deaths were worthless. SaltHoth was an especially worthless fight. The sand skimmers didn't buy anyone any time even before the ram cannon was in range, because fighters were murdering the poo poo out of everyone. The only people who do anything right in this movie are Chewie and Rey showing up in the Millenium Falcon ("Blast that piece of junk OUT OF THE SKY!"), and Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master, a legend, walking up to the whole First Order with his laser sword and bringing their entire offensive to a halt. Nobody else had a solution to their predicament, except to let the galaxy reject their plea for assistance, and die like dogs.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The dialogue was so embarrassingly BAD. It was WRETCHED. I found it hilariously how utterly worthless the star destroyers were. "The X-wing is too small, too close! We cant hit it!" "The transport is too big, too far, we cant hit it!" Uttered within minutes of each other by I think the same character. This movie was closer to Space Balls 2 then it was a sequel to Force Awakens. I found it so strange that the very same studio in a span of 2-years either ignores or blows up every critical plot thread established by TFA. It's not clever subversion, it's just a huge waste of time. TLJ doesn't offer anything new to take it's place... it's just noise.

TFA had people talking, speculating and guessing after they saw it about what would come in future sequels. I don't see what there's even to be excited about for the next one. Star Wars has jumped the shark for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TheNewt posted:

Pisses me off really.

There are great stories to be told from the point of view of the large political organization fighting rebels or terrorists.

There are really good references in modern film for Star Wars to take from. Be it the films of Nolan or Spielberg or Del Torro or even De Palma.

"Han Solo is a hero. A war hero...this is peacetime." Would have sold me so hard.

*after watching 13th film in most popular movie series on earth about scrappy good guys fighting the big bad guys presented by biggest megacorp in the world* You know I think this one had some really antifa themes because

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The dialogue was so embarrassingly BAD. It was WRETCHED. I found it hilariously how utterly worthless the star destroyers were. "The X-wing is too small, too close! We cant hit it!" "The transport is too big, too far, we cant hit it!" Uttered within minutes of each other by I think the same character. This movie was closer to Space Balls 2 then it was a sequel to Force Awakens. I found it so strange that the very same studio in a span of 2-years either ignores or blows up every critical plot thread established by TFA. It's not clever subversion, it's just a huge waste of time. TLJ doesn't offer anything new to take it's place... it's just noise.

TFA had people talking, speculating and guessing after they saw it about what would come in future sequels. I don't see what there's even to be excited about for the next one. Star Wars has jumped the shark for me.

Yeah well TFA sucked and was poo poo and just did the same crap as the previous movies and EU does and it is a poop poo mcgoop poo and offended me. I though TLJ was fun and good.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Rose almost killed herself (and finn) to stop Finn from saving the base

The whole breach of the door was pointless and lmao they literally called it a "laser battering ram"

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Disney made star wars boring

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Ep 9: sucking n loving n space

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

People were talking about basic as gently caress mystery box bullshit for the past two years, and I haven't read a single idea that I would have preferred on screen. The reason most people can't think about what happens next is because this movie wasn't overstuffed with slow-pitched underhand mystery boxes for YouTubers to unwrap over and over, and not being able to map out the next movie in your mind immediately is a good thing imo

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I was enthralled the whole time during TLJ and it made things hella more interesting with beautiful visuals. TFA made me roll my eyes and is creatively bankrupt. ANH is boring and dry as gently caress. ESB is okay. ROTJ is a bit more fun. The Prequels are good and ambitious and do a great job crafting the universe. Rogue One has no teeth but did a good job in perspective and scope.

Penpal posted:

People were talking about basic as gently caress mystery box bullshit for the past two years, and I haven't read a single idea that I would have preferred on screen. The reason most people can't think about what happens next is because this movie wasn't overstuffed with slow-pitched underhand mystery boxes for YouTubers to unwrap over and over, and not being able to map out the next movie in your mind immediately is a good thing imo

Agreed. I almost wish it did go through with Rey joining Kylo and ending the Resistance because then it would really be a case of "Oh poo poo, what comes now?"

EDIT: If Star Wars 9 plays it safe to say Rey really is some special rear end Jedi descendant of some legendary Jedi and whatnot, people are gonna roll their eyes and complain about them playing it safe or some poo poo. I hope they don't break and continue in a different direction cause it is balls stupid as Justice League showed to cater to fanboys.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 26, 2017

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Disney is going to have people praising the prequels with Episode 9, and some of those people will have in their posting history that one time they called someone a Trump voter for not liking Episode 8

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Rian Johnson sucked, TLJ was boring, and EP 9 will be as creatively bankrupt as the rest of the sequel and prequel trilogies

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was so neutral to seeing this movie but now I really don't care if I see EP 9 or not because I think I just don't care about star wars anymore

Thanks disney

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I dont think this movie was really that much more creative than TFA. AT-ATs on a snow planet, Snoke's Not-Emperor's throne room, Kylo Ren smashing his helmet to look like vader's (what), Yoda's ghost, the Death Star's name being brought up AGAIN for some god forsaken reason, and I'm sure a lot more stuf beyond that if I could remember. It was schizophrenic between calling back the most inane details of the prior movies and ignoring everything from the old movies. I do think Star Wars DIRELY needs to get some new ideas besides the Empire VS Rebels conflict, and as much as this movie seemed to be setting up to end that... it didn't.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I dont think this movie was really that much more creative than TFA. AT-ATs on a snow planet, Snoke's Not-Emperor's throne room, Kylo Ren smashing his helmet to look like vader's (what), Yoda's ghost, the Death Star's name being brought up AGAIN for some god forsaken reason, and I'm sure a lot more stuf beyond that if I could remember. It was schizophrenic between calling back the most inane details of the prior movies and ignoring everything from the old movies. I do think Star Wars DIRELY needs to get some new ideas besides the Empire VS Rebels conflict, and as much as this movie seemed to be setting up to end that... it didn't.

It’s not a snow planet and Kylo doesn’t smash his helmet to make it look like Vader’s (what)

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Out of the nine star wars movies, three were truly awful, two were just okay, three were fairly good, and yet somehow this is the movie that killed the franchise for you?

This, and not midichlorians? Why didn't you give up a long time ago in a galaxy far far away?

BardoTheConsumer fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 26, 2017

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

BardoTheConsumer posted:

This, and not midichlorians? Why didn't you give up a long time ago in a galaxy far far away?

Hope (said for the 50th time with a near saccharine earnestness)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
If there's one thing to be sure from the overreaction this has garnered, is that episode IX will double down on OT references and pop-culture throwbacks, in a way that it becomes a self-aware parody of the cinematic universe fad. I don't believe anyone at disney will let any director or writer get too creative or stray too far from the review committee.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Penpal posted:

Hope (said for the 50th time with a near saccharine earnestness)

It was crazy how often that word was thrown around in TLJ. That one line in R1 must've tested well.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

With reactions to TLJ being so extreme, I wonder if that puts Rian Johnson's announced trilogy in jeopardy. I suppose it will ultimately depend on how much business The Last Jedi does, but if that box office dropoff rate continues, it's hard to believe that the Mouse will sign off on such a huge financial venture if it's anything but A Sure Thing.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Hey guys, here's a hot take for ya: Star Wars was doomed from the start.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*reaches down, takes a bit of the thread, licks it*

It's salt

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gatts, self proclaimed prequel lover, declares TLJ one of the best in the series.

Says it all.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Phi230 posted:

I was so neutral to seeing this movie but now I really don't care if I see EP 9 or not because I think I just don't care about star wars anymore

saw the movie and this is me

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

She doesn't say "fight to save what you love" she says "Save what you love, not fight what you hate" word for word

Hurr durr stop fighting the genocidal nazis who are about to kill your friends because fighting is bad is a centrist message

So how many of the enemy have you killed today

hathfallen
Dec 22, 2003
Original Trilogy: The Jedi are awesome!

Prequel Trilogy: No actually, the Jedi kinda suck.

New Trilogy: No actually, YOU suck.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

hathfallen posted:

Original Trilogy: The Jedi are awesome!

Prequel Trilogy: No actually, the Jedi kinda suck.

New Trilogy: No actually, YOU suck.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Vintersorg posted:

Gatts, self proclaimed prequel lover, declares TLJ one of the best in the series.

Says it all.
Agreed, TLJ and the prequels own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Penpal posted:

It's like you didn't learn a single god damned thing from Dragonball Z.

• Locked thread