Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I’m sorry to hear that Intruder. Was it a long time coming or a surprise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Intruder posted:

My Christmas gift was a likely divorce

Don't feel bad for me: it's my favorite gift this year

:aaa: :(

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Guys he said don’t feel bad for him.

Congrats Intruder!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

went on a 4 mile walk with my dog. good dog. also played fetch with one of those plastic ball thrower things i got for my dad because he has bad shoulders and i think i can throw a tennis ball 80 mph with some practice

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I’m sorry to hear that Intruder. Was it a long time coming or a surprise?

The writing has been on the wall for awhile

I'll be waiting a bit to put some distance between the process and Christmas so the kids don't associate the two

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Intruder posted:

Maybe this can all go smoothly and she'll die of a stroke or something.

Fingers crossed

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well congrats Intruder I suppose. At the least I'm sure it's going to be a relief.

I hope the kids handle things well and you...you know, get what you want there. That always seems like the messiest thing about divorces.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Intruder posted:

I'll be waiting a bit to put some distance between the process and Christmas so the kids don't associate the two

Sorry buddy. Your move or hers? Or mutual?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Astros win a World Series, Intruder divorces his wife

Fair trade-off imo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Mine mostly

I got some good advice. It's better to be alone than with someone who makes you miserable

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Oh wow I thought you were making a joke about my marriage earlier, but you were not.

Good luck with single life. Get Tinder and learn all the new emoji poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I got a cold for christmas but not too severe of a cold, mostly just head cold. My stepdad made a standing prime rib roast which was excellent. My wife got me a really nice handmade end-grain cutting board that a friend of hers made, my stepdad is gonna come over and upgrade my stereo system (he's an audiophile), my brother gave me lord of the rings LCG game packs (we play it together a lot, so it's a cool "for me but really for us to enjoy together" gift), my mom got me Mainias, Panics, and Crashes 7th edition, and I got some amazon money from my sister and my mother-in-law. Not bad! Plus the requisite piles of candy and chocolate.

I've got the week off, today we're gonna go see the new star wars, and I still have three days to figure out presents for my wife's dad and stepmother who we're seeing saturday.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Goon grats intruder.

Come to Asheville with me and no butt stuff if you wanna drink about it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Sorry to hear about that Intruder, also congrats Intruder. Do what's right for you.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Intruder posted:

Mine mostly

I got some good advice. It's better to be alone than with someone who makes you miserable

Very good and accurate advice. Hope it works out for you, ending things is miserable even when it’s the right decision and kids make it that much harder. My sister did something similar about 3 years ago and I can say she’s genuinely never been happier.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Eating that "food" caused Intruder's life to flash before his eyes and he realized that it wasn't working out.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Intruder posted:

Mine mostly

This is true. It's also better for your children than being in a miserable household.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A divorce is never sad. It means 2 sad people will be a little less sad.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

My Christmas gift was a likely divorce

Don't feel bad for me: it's my favorite gift this year

Come to NJ i'll hook you up with NJ house wifes

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

seiferguy posted:

A divorce is never sad. It means 2 sad people will be a little less sad.

The kids might be more sad tho

Call it a wash

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
please do it

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/945421649918201856

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wish Obama would drop decorum and just throw a year long tour aimed at pissing off Trump just by going places and doing nice things.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My parents divorced when I was around 5 or so, and they arranged joint custody. Both remarried within the next 5 years, so I grew up going back and forth between houses: my dad's house on weekdays, my mom's house most weekends and summers, and with effectively four parents. I understood it not to be the normal family thing but I was not greatly upset by it either. While I can't claim that I had a happy childhood, most of the bad stuff was not related to the fact of their divorce.

The key thing was that (as I found out as an adult) while my mom had plenty of grievances towards my dad that were fully justified, neither of them ever exposed me to that: they didn't fight in front of me and they were mature about the joint custody and (until my mom remarried) alimony. If you let your kids understand that you're both still their parents and still love them, and that your decision to separate isn't their fault, that's good; the extension of that is to never use them as pawns in an ongoing game of petty revenge at the person who hurt you. I had friends of divorced parents who engaged in petty poo poo, like telling their kids how awful their other parent was, or buying them something their other parent specifically said they couldn't have, etc.

A friend of mine's ex also decided unilaterally to move to the opposite side of the country, knowing full well that there was no way he could move there and no way he could afford to see his son regularly. It wasn't even for a great job or anything, she worked at starbucks and just got a job at another starbucks in north carolina (we're in California). It was just blatantly a decision on her part to not let him see his son and he had little practical recourse, not being in a financial position to take her to family court or anything.

Basically don't do that petty poo poo, make sure your kids get to spend time with both parents and just do your best to make their time with you good (not "try to be their friend" you still need to be a drat parent, just give them what they need, including emotional support, discipline, and good modeling of mature adult behavior) and you'll be OK. They're going to be hurt, that's unavoidable, but be patient and try to get your ex on board with the basic idea that you have to keep your adult argument poo poo entirely out of their perception.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

My parents divorced when I was around 5 or so, and they arranged joint custody. Both remarried within the next 5 years, so I grew up going back and forth between houses: my dad's house on weekdays, my mom's house most weekends and summers, and with effectively four parents. I understood it not to be the normal family thing but I was not greatly upset by it either. While I can't claim that I had a happy childhood, most of the bad stuff was not related to the fact of their divorce.

The key thing was that (as I found out as an adult) while my mom had plenty of grievances towards my dad that were fully justified, neither of them ever exposed me to that: they didn't fight in front of me and they were mature about the joint custody and (until my mom remarried) alimony. If you let your kids understand that you're both still their parents and still love them, and that your decision to separate isn't their fault, that's good; the extension of that is to never use them as pawns in an ongoing game of petty revenge at the person who hurt you. I had friends of divorced parents who engaged in petty poo poo, like telling their kids how awful their other parent was, or buying them something their other parent specifically said they couldn't have, etc.

A friend of mine's ex also decided unilaterally to move to the opposite side of the country, knowing full well that there was no way he could move there and no way he could afford to see his son regularly. It wasn't even for a great job or anything, she worked at starbucks and just got a job at another starbucks in north carolina (we're in California). It was just blatantly a decision on her part to not let him see his son and he had little practical recourse, not being in a financial position to take her to family court or anything.

Basically don't do that petty poo poo, make sure your kids get to spend time with both parents and just do your best to make their time with you good (not "try to be their friend" you still need to be a drat parent, just give them what they need, including emotional support, discipline, and good modeling of mature adult behavior) and you'll be OK. They're going to be hurt, that's unavoidable, but be patient and try to get your ex on board with the basic idea that you have to keep your adult argument poo poo entirely out of their perception.

Very pro-read post here.

Sad to hear a number of TFF marriages collapsed this year but glad y'all are moving on and seem to be pretty mentally/emotionally healthy about it all.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Intruder posted:

Mine mostly

gently caress like altuve hits balls

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
20s: huh, a bunch of my friends are getting married

30s: huh, a bunch of my friends are getting divorced

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not about you FUCKO

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

axeil posted:

a number of TFF marriages collapsed this year

Well poo poo, I better stop posting here just to be safe :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 26, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Not about you FUCKO

It was observational humor meant to be relatable to the average reader, BUTTHOLE

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

so you're saying that getting married in your 20s is a huge mistake

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
My parents divorced me when I was 2, and there really was no way around it because my biological dad was going to end up killing my mother in some alcoholic rage if they didn't. Then in shared custody he would try to be the "fun dad" and let me do whatever, and leave my mom around to be the "responsible one." And yet, probably more damaging than that was him moving away while my mom and her new husband were moving somewhere else with me when I was 4, and it just... forced me to say goodbye in a way I'm not sure any kid should say goodbye to one of their parents. It required me to emotionally shut off a part of me that wanted to see him, and I think ever since, that hosed with me more than anything. Whenever I bitched in school therapy about the divorce, that's what I was really talking about, not something from when I was 2 and couldn't remember anything, but just all the awkwardness of saying goodbye.

You seem like an incredibly good dude, Intruder, so just stay around your kids, like I'm sure you will. They'll be grateful for that more than anything in the long run.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

My parents never got divorced because they were never married

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm married and my previous girlfriend was obscenely clingy and routinely made horrible choices that hosed up her life. My wife's boyfriend before she met me was this super controlling conservative homophobe who nobody in her family liked.

Every so often out of nowhere we just kind of go to each other like "yeah dating sucked I'm really glad I found you" and now we're weird nerds together and its pretty deece.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I wanna gay marry my dog

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I married the first woman with whom I had a serious relationship, which will probably come back to haunt me in some way!

We both acknowledge how much better we get along with each other than with anyone else, and how lucky we were to meet each other at least.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Probably 50% of the people I know that got married in their 20s are either separated or divorced.

Any of you dudes have a DxRacer gaming chair? Came into some cash over Xmas and thinking of treating myself because my old chair is dying a painful death.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I saw The Last Jedi

Kylo Ren is a young Snape and I cant unsee that

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm married and my previous girlfriend was obscenely clingy and routinely made horrible choices that hosed up her life. My wife's boyfriend before she met me was this super controlling conservative homophobe who nobody in her family liked.

Every so often out of nowhere we just kind of go to each other like "yeah dating sucked I'm really glad I found you" and now we're weird nerds together and its pretty deece.

I'm almost the same except I'm not married to my gf. Yet. My ex was super clingy and manipulative, her ex was a compulsive liar that cheated many times.

She constantly reminds me that she's happy to be with me :)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Probably 50% of the people I know that got married in their 20s are either separated or divorced.

Any of you dudes have a DxRacer gaming chair? Came into some cash over Xmas and thinking of treating myself because my old chair is dying a painful death.

just get a steelcase/herman miller at a used office chair warehouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I don’t have much to say about divorced chat as I’m alone, non of my friends are divorced yet, and my parents should probably have divorced but my dad stuck around because my mom can’t really function in American society as a hard hearing immigrant who had a farm peasants education in post WWII Korea and now ive taken over for Dad since he passed being her keeper

I hope you’re hale and happy whatever happens Intruder

BlindSite posted:

I got a dx racer and half expected it to be an over priced gimmick but it’s actually really comfy and I used to get muscle pain in my hip and back with a normal office chair f I sat in it for more than an couple hours but this I haven’t had any i forgot I even did

• Locked thread