Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

Can I ask a question in this thread (because it's about 2017 movies): how far wrong am I in presuming that Star Wars will fall short of a billion dollars this time round? I think it will end up in the $900 million region. According to Wikipedia, it's on $775 million at the moment, and based on what I've read about it, the fact that it had a very steep drop in its second week seems to me to indicate that most people who want to see it have already seen it and aren't interested in seeing it again (which its poor word of mouth will surely exacerbate). Are there still $300 million left for it make?

I think it will finish off as the second or third biggest movie of the year (in terms of money earned) behind Beauty and the Bast and Fate of the Furious and coming in fourth seems like a possibility as well.

If you look at a graph of its (domestic) progress so far you'll see that it's about halfway between where The Force Awakens and Rogue One were at the same point after release, so it should easily pass half a billion domestically. Its international sales are roughly the same as its domestic sales so far so it should make a billion eventually.
It should eventually get first place for the 2017 domestic market and then the race will be on to see if its foreign BO can catch it up to Beauty and the Beast.

joe football posted:

Boxofficemojo has it releasing in China in January. It's not a super huge deal in China or anything, but I think that + remaining legs should be enough to get it over a billion for sure

The Force Awakens made US$124 million in China and Rogue One made US$69 million which in both cases was more than 10% of their total foreign BO, it's been a pretty big market for Star Wars films in recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

China is historically considered a weaker box office area for Star Wars because the Transformers films make so much more money there and that leads to a bunch of movie writers who need to file five articles a day telling the same story of how people there didn't grow up with Star Wars but did with Transformers while also not realizing that parts of the Transformers films are specifically designed to appeal to China and the last one didn't have that, thus despite doing great it was below Paramount's unrealistic expectations. That also ignores the whole scams at the box office drama that keeps happening in China, to the point where no one should make any expectations of box office haul numbers.

At this point Solo might be the first one that does bad, and I say that only because we've seen nothing from it yet which is really weird. Ron Howard at least would show off bits of it on social media but Disney seems to have made him stop. Either way, Solo will have a TON of things written about it as it will be even more of a schizophrenic mess than Justice League. The latest Star Wars still had a bunch of shows sold out yesterday at the theaters but I also heard people leaving the shows while going to Pitch Perfect 3 and most of them were complaining, so I don't think it will get quite the traditional boost from people seeing it multiple times as the other films enjoyed, though it may get newer fans going to see it multiple times which will make up for the people who were complaining but also didn't see it for two weeks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tars Tarkas posted:

The latest Star Wars still had a bunch of shows sold out yesterday at the theaters but I also heard people leaving the shows while going to Pitch Perfect 3 and most of them were complaining, so I don't think it will get quite the traditional boost from people seeing it multiple times as the other films enjoyed, though it may get newer fans going to see it multiple times which will make up for the people who were complaining but also didn't see it for two weeks.

I think the weak word of mouth will undermine it. Even if it gets to one billion dollars, it'll struggle to get to $1.2, so it won't beat Beauty and the Beast and probably not Fate of the Furious.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The MSJ posted:

Pretty cool that she plays his daughter instead of girlfriend like every other movie would do.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Carla Gugino is shockingly age appropriate for him, being one year older.

Of course, that means they were 14 and 15 when they had her

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Davros1 posted:

Of course, that means they were 14 and 15 when they had her

Would help explain why they aren't still together.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GrandpaPants posted:

Bright continues to be uniquely terrible

I really, really don't get the hate for this film. It's well-acted, internally consistent, has great makeup, good effects, is competently shot, and has a surprising amount of heart for something so predictable and by-the-numbers. The plot is nothing special or original but it's a buddy cop film, you don't sit down for it expecting Faulkner. It's not like you didn't know how End of Watch was going to end.

Given the critic/audience split on it and comparing that split to that for the Last Jedi, a more conspiratorially-minded person than myself might think that there's an orchestrated campaign to try to convince people that Netflix's eschewing typical distribution channels is doomed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's a really lovely movie with a terribly racist message.

It's not complicated.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Bright is pretty much fine. I was expecting the politics to be, like, aggressively terrible, but even looking at it as uncharitably as possible, it's a movie that tries to say something good and ends up being a bit tone-deaf about it.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Bright just sounds like that picture of a My Little Pony in the Holocaust except Dungeons and Dragons with racism.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's also written by one of the most unlikable people in Hollywood, so a lot of the loudest detractors are taking their shot to knock Landis down a peg. For it not to get that treatment it would have to be genuinely very good, but it's not that.

Bar Crow posted:

Bright just sounds like that picture of a My Little Pony in the Holocaust except Dungeons and Dragons with racism.

Fantasy is the go-to genre for white people who want to write a story about race but have never interacted with non-white people.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pospysyl posted:

Fantasy is the go-to genre for white people who want to write a story about race but have never interacted with non-white people.
Followed closely by Sci-Fi.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bar Crow posted:

It doesn't even do that, the orcs are still the bad guys it just turns out the one Will teams up with is one of the good ones.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

FilthyImp posted:

Followed closely by Sci-Fi.

https://m.imgur.com/t/informative/RIcAF

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Bar Crow posted:

imagine saying this like its a bad thing

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Citing one of the best works of the genre doesn't quite excuse stuff like folks having an easier time with biracial relationships because "Well she's a Khynrei'aan so I don't feel bad when a white guy shacks up with a purple space chick".

I was hoping Bioware would made Tali a person of Color because Mass Effect nerds would lose their minds over their space wife being a space Muslim

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

On the other hand,the first interacial kiss on tv was in star trek. Dunno man,it seems to me that mediums that push against boundaries or put a mirror to society are good,even if they dress it up as spacemans? Is "monsters are due in mapple street" less eficient by using aliens?

Otoh,ill agree that fantasy is racist as gently caress.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Very first scripted interracial kiss. Sammy Davis Jr kissed a white lady at an award show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ChainsawCharlie posted:

On the other hand,the first interacial kiss on tv was in star trek.

That's yet another Roddenberry urban legend. There are at least three TV shows that beat them to it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

That's yet another Roddenberry urban legend. There are at least three TV shows that beat them to it.

Did Ricky kiss lucy on camera?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

gently caress Rod & Berries anyways

I gather TOS was progressive, as was TNG but c'mon that guy was a huge perv/pillhead with a lot of similarities to L. Ron Hubbard

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

got any sevens posted:

I don't believe so actually

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

got any sevens posted:

There was that (although, at least as far as I know, Desi always considered himself white), at least two British shows, and an episode of I Spy that long predated Plato's Stepchildren in 1968.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Some of, like, LeGuinn's stuff is seen as progressive. On the whole I wonder if Fantasy's problem is equal parts D&D tropes and the ossified corpse of LotR distative what is and isn't High Fantasy.

quote:

Dunno man,it seems to me that mediums that push against boundaries or put a mirror to society are good,even if they dress it up as spacemans? Is "monsters are due in mapple street" less eficient by using aliens?
Ok, I'll admit my dissing Sci-Fi was hasty. It's a good covet for polemics. There's still bad stuff out there tho.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think it has less to do with genre and more to do with the fact that most of the successful writers are white cis-het dudes., and even then you have authors like Neil Gaiman who tries to be inclusive without being exploitative.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I feel like a relevant title for this discussion, at least the sci-fi side of it, would be The Old Iron Dream, a work covering the incredibly conservative and/or regressive undertones that the genre has quietly ignored or hushed away. It's titled after the novel "The Iron Dream", which was a tale wherein a young Adolf Hitler emigrated from Germany after "some radical political beliefs" and began publishing science fiction novels which were effectively his own warped views but under a much friendlier space opera tone.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Timby posted:

There was that (although, at least as far as I know, Desi always considered himself white), at least two British shows, and an episode of I Spy that long predated Plato's Stepchildren in 1968.

Huh,learn something new every day. I stand corrected.

And yeah,there is a lot of bad stuff out there,but like skwirl said,its a genre filled with white cis dudes. I like to think that for each orson scott card there is a frank herbert or leguin or octavia butler out there. I hope so.Because seriously,gently caress orson scott card.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

END ME SCOOB posted:

I feel like a relevant title for this discussion, at least the sci-fi side of it, would be The Old Iron Dream, a work covering the incredibly conservative and/or regressive undertones that the genre has quietly ignored or hushed away. It's titled after the novel "The Iron Dream", which was a tale wherein a young Adolf Hitler emigrated from Germany after "some radical political beliefs" and began publishing science fiction novels which were effectively his own warped views but under a much friendlier space opera tone.

The Iron Dream is fascinating and disturbing. Mein Kampf as Golden Age science fiction is a pretty twisted concept.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It gets way more absurd and ridiculous as it goes on. It just doesn't stop ramping up how batshit it can get.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

END ME SCOOB posted:

I picked this up after hearing an interview with the guy.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ChainsawCharlie posted:

On the other hand,the first interacial kiss on tv was in star trek. Dunno man,it seems to me that mediums that push against boundaries or put a mirror to society are good,even if they dress it up as spacemans? Is "monsters are due in mapple street" less eficient by using aliens?

I think in relation to Bright, the argument is more that in 2017, after years of popular discussion of racism, and lots of media that deals with racism directly, it feels very weak that a director/writer/etc would decide to do some social commentary on race using an extended fantasy metaphor instead of just... making a film about real-life racism.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Red Bones posted:

I think in relation to Bright, the argument is more that in 2017, after years of popular discussion of racism, and lots of media that deals with racism directly, it feels very weak that a director/writer/etc would decide to do some social commentary on race using an extended fantasy metaphor instead of just... making a film about real-life racism.

Those films already exist, the problem is people don't look for them. The other problem is when we get into this question of "real-life," and realize that it's just in some abstract sense, and not in fact real life. Why make any fictional drama or thriller concerning injustice? Just make documentaries.

Kicker: documentaries are also not "real-life." Films are rhetorical, they compartmentalize social subjects within a narrative, and a narrative of extended metaphor is not structurally less effective than a documentary or grounded drama.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Detective No. 27 posted:

It gets way more absurd and ridiculous as it goes on. It just doesn't stop ramping up how batshit it can get.

Looking up actual responses to the novel is even crazier. To steal some of Spinrad's own words:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the weak word of mouth will undermine it. Even if it gets to one billion dollars, it'll struggle to get to $1.2, so it won't beat Beauty and the Beast and probably not Fate of the Furious.

It will easily pass a billion, that was never in question. And the word of mouth by all scientific metrics looked at by distributors is very good. Obviously there are vocal detractors but that shouldn't affect its box office at all. I don't think it was ever expected to match TFA and there are reasons like holidays etc. why it had a steeper drop in its 2nd weekend.

Deadline is a good source for BO analysis:

http://deadline.com/tag/star-wars-the-last-jedi/

This article in particular is about the differences in traditional measurements vs. online opinions:

http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-rotten-tomatoes-metacritic-imdb-users-cinemascore-posttrak-1202228837/

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
My job/business is selling toys and collectible junk. I'd love to put together some type of analysis based on merch sales, but it'd require so many anecdotal adjustments for weird industry things that I'm afraid it would look like a conspiracy theory board before I was done.

From what I've personally seen on the toy side though, The Last Jedi is pretty much on the same track as the previous movies (maybe a hair better than Rogue One) and is on par or slightly outpacing popular Marvel stuff. Even figures of poor Paige aren't quite in the bargain bin yet. So interest seems to be hanging on with at least something of a crowd. It's not anything like the falloff I saw for Suicide Squad and Justice League for the little bit that that's worth.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Go home Clint, you're drunk.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Guess it time for a new thread. What were the worst of the worst of this year? Can that awful Tom & Jerry Meet Willy Wonka be listed?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's quite a surprise that the franchise managed to sink lower than The Tom And Jerry Movie.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rirse posted:

Guess it time for a new thread. What were the worst of the worst of this year? Can that awful Tom & Jerry Meet Willy Wonka be listed?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The best part about that is this in the youtube description:

Because of course youtube reads the title as a link to the timecode of 15 minutes, 17 seconds in a 2 minute video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The gently caress? Is this from the same movie? It looks like a different animation team worked on each still shot. Everything so off-model.

• Locked thread