Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

blarzgh posted:

Last Jedi: Space Bombers?? Why THE gently caress would you build spaceships that require GRAVITY to Attack other spaceships???

Also: One ship with a hyperdrive can 9/11 a whole fleet? Why has no one ever just strapped a hyperdrive to an asteroid? Seems much more efficient.

Well same thing with Empire. That scene would have been cool if they didn't have to find the remote to open the bomb bay doors. What even was that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

Star Wars is well and truly based on WWII though. More fantasy than sci-fi. Softest sci-fi evar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Away all Goats posted:

Same thing with the long range plasma cannons firing in an arc. Space does not work that way :reject:

The lightspeed kamikaze was cool as gently caress, but just made you question why did they never do that to the Death Star, or why the empire doesn't just do that to blow up planets

I'm gonna go ahead and say The Force. Also it only works if you're super close before you actually hit speed and it has to be a big enough ship. That's my answer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

it might not be the best idea to tell everyone that your plan is to sneak away in cloaked, unshielded transport ships just in case you have a traitor on board.

She didn't hide that she was fuelling up the transport ships. She was asked for clarification that there was a plan beyond the self-evidently suicidal 'abandon ship under the guns of the enemy with no destination in sight' - everyone knew they were going to abandon ship.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

TLJ: That the code breaker they went to find wasn't Lando.

SAME

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Like they still could have ended up with Stuttery Thief but just have a Billy Dee cameo. It isn't like he's doing much other than voicing Lando in Lego games.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I leaned over to my friend twice during TLJ. Once was to say: It's Lando!.

The other time was when Snoke had force pulled Rey up close and the camera was pulled in tight on his face. I said, "Looks like Roy Moore got elected after all."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, we're probably not getting Lando appearances because Billy Dee Williams is barely mobile from age and not really fit to act anymore, last I heard.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Inescapable Duck posted:

IIRC, we're probably not getting Lando appearances because Billy Dee Williams is barely mobile from age and not really fit to act anymore, last I heard.

:(

I hope for at least a radio communication to hear his dulcet voice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

According to Rian Johnson they did think about having him show up as the hacker but decided against it because of the whole double cross.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Star Wars isn't allowed to have more than one black guy in a speaking role, sorry.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mu Zeta posted:

Star Wars isn't allowed to have more than one black guy in a speaking role, sorry.

I mean they used to only have one woman too but they got over that eventually

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Len posted:

Like they still could have ended up with Stuttery Thief but just have a Billy Dee cameo. It isn't like he's doing much other than voicing Lando in Lego games.

They could have had him instead of not james bond

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In the new movies if anyone from the old movies shows up, they have to be killed brutally onscreen to borrow emotions from the old movies that the new ones haven't earned, so maybe it's best that Billy Dee avoid them.

Chewbacca will live forever though. Nobody wants to be the guy who killed Chewbacca.

Edit: spoiler tags even though I haven't seen the movie yet either. Just guessing.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Dec 25, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Imagined posted:

In the new movies if anyone from the old movies shows up, they have to be killed brutally onscreen to borrow emotions from the old movies that the new ones haven't earned, so maybe it's best that Billy Dee avoid them.

Chewbacca will live forever though. Nobody wants to be the guy who killed Chewbacca.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_Prime

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Makes sense to kill Chewbacca in books. In print none of the characters have any practical considerations favoring or disfavoring them over the others -- for example, whether they are played by one human being who is rapidly and visibly aging, or a guy in a monkey suit... but if you're making a movie and you've got a beloved character who will never age and can be played by anybody of a certain height...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tunicate posted:

She didn't hide that she was fuelling up the transport ships. She was asked for clarification that there was a plan beyond the self-evidently suicidal 'abandon ship under the guns of the enemy with no destination in sight' - everyone knew they were going to abandon ship.

Based on what we know about the character, the most likely answer is that Holdo knew she was going to have to kamikaze if they couldn't get away and she wouldn't ask anyone else to do it. But as the sitting head of the Resistance, there's no way they'd let her. She kept silence so she could present a fait accompli.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There's a lot of irritating things about the latest SW (I still like it tho) but the thing that burns my parsnips the most is one of the final scenes:

Rose stops Finn from sacrificing himself to destroy the battering ram cannon, then tells him, "That's how we'll win. Not by killing what we hate, but by saving what we love." That's a nice sentiment and all but that's LITERALLY what Finn was trying to do! He was ready to give his life to stop the cannon so that the First Order didn't massacre the, what, twenty remaining members of the resistance?? If Luke didn't loving show up at the end they all would have loving died because Rian Johnson is a colossal dumbass who thinks he's a way better writer than he actually is.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

There's a lot of irritating things about the latest SW (I still like it tho) but the thing that burns my parsnips the most is one of the final scenes:

Rose stops Finn from sacrificing himself to destroy the battering ram cannon, then tells him, "That's how we'll win. Not by killing what we hate, but by saving what we love." That's a nice sentiment and all but that's LITERALLY what Finn was trying to do! He was ready to give his life to stop the cannon so that the First Order didn't massacre the, what, twenty remaining members of the resistance?? If Luke didn't loving show up at the end they all would have loving died because Rian Johnson is a colossal dumbass who thinks he's a way better writer than he actually is.

They would have died anyway without Luke because Finn was just sacrificing himself to buy time for Rebel reinforcements to arrive… which didn’t happen, and they only escaped thanks to Force coincidence type stuff drawing Finn’s attention to the secret pile of rocks exit.

It would have been a better Moral Lesson if there was actually some way for them to Run and Fight Another Day by being practical and not following Reckless Plan Heroism, but by that point I kinda feel the idea had been run into the ground, since it was the third time in one movie they had to make that choice.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pieces of Peace posted:

They would have died anyway without Luke because Finn was just sacrificing himself to buy time for Rebel reinforcements to arrive… which didn’t happen, and they only escaped thanks to Force coincidence type stuff drawing Finn’s attention to the secret pile of rocks exit.

It would have been a better Moral Lesson if there was actually some way for them to Run and Fight Another Day by being practical and not following Reckless Plan Heroism, but by that point I kinda feel the idea had been run into the ground, since it was the third time in one movie they had to make that choice.

It's a take down of toxic masculine heroics. Owns.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Another TLJ IIMM: Rose and Finn are captured, surrounded by what must be a hundred stormtroopers and about to executed by uh, electric strings? Anyway the awesome lightspeed kamikaze scene happens and we cut to Rose dragging Finn out of wreckage and they're completely alone. Phantasma who was standing right next to them watching the execution is now on the other side of the hangar and has to walk over.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Away all Goats posted:

Another TLJ IIMM: Rose and Finn are captured, surrounded by what must be a hundred stormtroopers and about to executed by uh, electric strings? Anyway the awesome lightspeed kamikaze scene happens and we cut to Rose dragging Finn out of wreckage and they're completely alone. Phantasma who was standing right next to them watching the execution is now on the other side of the hangar and has to walk over.

I assumed when everything went pear shaped everyone and anything not bolted down to the super structure went flying about and Phantasma probably assumed they were dead along with those scattered troopers. Came back around after an indeterminate amount of time while commanding disaster management and "loving hell, they're still alive."

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Dec 26, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Here's a thing that Irrationally Irritates me in space films, undersea films, anything where someone wears a helmet in the dark. They always put huge bright lights inside the helmets shining into the actor's faces so the audience can see who it is, but in reality it'd be annoying as gently caress and blind you with glare all the time.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Jaded Burnout posted:

Here's a thing that Irrationally Irritates me in space films, undersea films, anything where someone wears a helmet in the dark. They always put huge bright lights inside the helmets shining into the actor's faces so the audience can see who it is, but in reality it'd be annoying as gently caress and blind you with glare all the time.
Also a lot of scenes in a car driving at night.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Jaded Burnout posted:

The CW show Arrow does this with Diggle's mask when he is Spartan. It's even dumber there. No only would it blind him, but it would light up his face so everybody could easily ID who the vigilante is.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

b]Justice League[/b] was marginally better IMO, but Steppenwolf paled in comparison to the JL trying to take down Clark. Cyborg telling the Flash "we're the accidents" was the most he got in terms of character development.

Agreed: this movie would have been waaaaaay more my jam if Bad Superman was the main protagonist. I felt we got cheated a much better fight for whatever that was we actually got..

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
The Last Jedi I generally enjoyed the film, though I think half of it could have been cut - it spent too much time rehashing bits from the original film.

But mostly, gently caress Poe Dameron. Fucker should have been shot after disobeying orders during Operation Slow-moving Flimsy Space Bombers Attacking from the Worst Possible Angle.

He should have been shot after sending Finn and Rose on a stupid mission that undermined Laura Dern's sensible escape plan and resulting in like 80% of the transports being picked off. In fairness, she could have said "Dude, I have a plan - chillax", especially when she knew he was likely to go all maverick.

He should have been shot after wasting the remaining pilots on Operation Fly lovely Slow Vehicles in a Tight Cluster Towards a Prepared Enemy.

Dude is just about responsible for all the good guys deaths in the film - I'd argue even Luke.

In conclusion, gently caress Poe Dameron. He was pretty cool in the previous film, but just super sucked here.

That said, I really like the crackly sound of Kylo Ren's lightsaber. There's something satisfyingly creepy about it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They could swap the main villains around from Justice League, Batman V Superman, and Wonder Woman and nobody could tell the difference.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

That said, I really like the crackly sound of Kylo Ren's lightsaber. There's something satisfyingly creepy about it.

Agreed. It suits his character. Barely contained, menacing, and unstable, but also a self-made poor imitation of a greater original.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mu Zeta posted:

They could swap the main villains around from Justice League, Batman V Superman, and Wonder Woman and nobody could tell the difference.

To be fair even Marvel movies have this issue.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

The Last Jedi I generally enjoyed the film, though I think half of it could have been cut - it spent too much time rehashing bits from the original film.

But mostly, gently caress Poe Dameron. Fucker should have been shot after disobeying orders during Operation Slow-moving Flimsy Space Bombers Attacking from the Worst Possible Angle.

If the dreadnought had followed them, it would have killed their remaining cruisers within about twenty seconds. It's a fleet killer with those big superguns. Poe's choice was ultimately the correct one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Elissimpark posted:

It's me I'm the guy who things his lightsaber looks cool as poo poo what with the cross guard venting energy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Len posted:

It's me I'm the guy who things his lightsaber looks cool as poo poo what with the cross guard venting energy.

The beam effect is definitely cool, but whoever did the choreography clearly is having trouble getting it to work without Kylo cutting his own arms off

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Elissimpark posted:

I really, really like the way he holds his lightsaber when he turns it on, I don't know what that stance is called but it looks really menacing, specially with his absolute furious expression.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was kinda annoyed they moved his scar from the first movie.

I was also annoyed that he wasn't wearing his helmet in the first movie that would have saved him from getting said scar. Regardless of the whole "child in a mask" bit, if he's have just loving kept it on he'd have not gotten sliced as badly.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I wish it was a nastier scar, that's pretty tame for a lightsaber cut.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

I wish it was a nastier scar, that's pretty tame for a lightsaber cut.

Nastier probably would have grossed out one of the (presumably) old white guys and got an r rating

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cage posted:

Also a lot of scenes in a car driving at night.

And also making sure in every superhero film the hero's mask gets damaged sufficiently to allow for enough face time for the star.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The movie was okay at best but I love how kylo ren constantly hits the floor with his lightsaber but Rey doesn't. There is really only the one or two scenes but Ren is constantly nicking the floor and leaving burnt marks. A cool subtle way of telling how he's barely in control and isn't much concerned with collateral damage.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Len posted:

Nastier probably would have grossed out one of the (presumably) old white guys and got an r rating

PG13 films get away with horrific stuff these days, grandma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

sassassin posted:

PG13 films get away with horrific stuff these days, grandma.

Hey man I'm pretty sure Kylos face was the goriest the series has gotten someone probably had to fight like hell to make that a thing.