Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Red eyes is another huge hint, but I don’t remember any direct connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

SirPhoebos posted:

So is there any connection between the Machine Lifeforms and the Watchers? We see hints of connections (Eve's tattoo, N2 in general), but Jackass's notes don't make any mention of any ties besides the stuff from Project Gestalt.

That's what I was kinda thinking with my theory about a potential Nier 3 earlier. Like, what if the remnants of humanity and the Gestalt Project become the Watchers (aka the Grotesqueries aka cannibal space babies)?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The way I took it, even if we aren't getting explicit giant babies and pregnant women, the Watchers still had a role to play in all this. Like the humans evolving to use technology to remove their own souls, the Watchers simply adapted to the new environment by showing up as a computer virus instead of the White Chlorination Syndrome.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Or maybe this is the origin of The Watchers in some kind of insane closed loop.

Technology became magic and magic became technology.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Stubbies DO kinda look like babies. And they DO sometimes zombie pile and devour androids, who are kinda like people.

They don’t have electric wings, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's kind of hilarious that one of the few games where experiencing all of the content to get all the trophies* is a rewarding experience is also one that lets you just buy them trophies.

*Except the look up 2B's skirt 10 times trophy. That poo poo's just pathetic.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's kind of hilarious that one of the few games where experiencing all of the content to get all the trophies* is a rewarding experience is also one that lets you just buy them trophies.

...That's eternally the last trophy on my steam profile for NieR: Automata.

Edit:

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 26, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

i am tim! posted:

Stubbies DO kinda look like babies. And they DO sometimes zombie pile and devour androids, who are kinda like people.

They don’t have electric wings, though.

what is a waist-mounted propeller hoop, if not an electric wing

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

...That's eternally the last trophy on my steam profile for NieR: Automata.

Edit:

I'm still eternally grateful for you sparing me that fate.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
One thing I also took away from that document was that N2 purposely disconnected the machines in Pascal's village, the Forest Kingdom, etc. from the network as an experiment to see what they would do. The reason N2 was so intent on sending so many machines to wipe out Pascal's village was that it learned what it needed to and considered the "peaceful machine village" experiment to be concluded. It was just cleaning up after itself. I'll admit that I could be wrong about that interpretation.

Adam and Eve were also experiments and I think N2 probably would have killed them too eventually. I also think they got slightly more than they bargained for when Eve started corrupting the machines he had influence over. Maybe 2B/9S killing him was doing N2's dirty work for it?

...! fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 26, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I used the shop to get that achievement and then get the ones that are just grinding with no actual story attached to it.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

pulsor93 posted:

Er, not quite.
The Terminals are voiced by Darin DePaul (Ardyn from FFXV, Samuel Hayden from Doom), not Jamieson Price.

My mistake. Sorry.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hunt11 posted:

I used the shop to get that achievement and then get the ones that are just grinding with no actual story attached to it.

Yeah, It's the same for me. I did upgrade all pods and got to level 99. But doing the "kill a lot of enemies in berserk mode"-achievement at the end felt like a pointless grind. Also there were a few story achievements which I earned, but technically didn't get, because I had to play in offline mode.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I got them all legit but I appreciated the shop existing anyway. Yes even the butt one you goddamn prudes. The only people jacking it in this thread are the people lubing up and beating themselves off over their own ~principled position~ of not looking up a 3d model of a fictional character's skirt when the game tells you to.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
There's also an achievement for making 9S play for an hour with his pants off, so at least the game is equal-opportunity in it's butt-staring.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I tried to get that achievement but for whatever reason, 2B is completely fine with me looking up her skirt and won't knock away the camera :saddowns: I shouldn't have to spend money on such a low effort trophy 2B, stop making me look like a creep

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It has to be from a surprisingly specific angle given how wide 2B's skirt is.

I'd be really impressed if anyone got it without knowing it existed.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sindai posted:

It has to be from a surprisingly specific angle given how wide 2B's skirt is.

I'd be really impressed if anyone got it without knowing it existed.

It counts climbing up ladders if you're not careful about your camera angles. You could theoretically get it by accident.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Danaru posted:

I tried to get that achievement but for whatever reason, 2B is completely fine with me looking up her skirt and won't knock away the camera :saddowns: I shouldn't have to spend money on such a low effort trophy 2B, stop making me look like a creep

The game can be surprisingly finicky about it, yeah. I had a bit of trouble getting her to knock away the camera too. I found the best place for it was the makeshift tower near the bridge to the commerce center. Just park her near the edge and you should be set for a kickable view.

...I remember the specifics of this more than I'd like to. :negative:

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

...! posted:

One thing I also took away from that document was that N2 purposely disconnected the machines in Pascal's village, the Forest Kingdom, etc. from the network as an experiment to see what they would do. The reason N2 was so intent on sending so many machines to wipe out Pascal's village was that it learned what it needed to and considered the "peaceful machine village" experiment to be concluded. It was just cleaning up after itself. I'll admit that I could be wrong about that interpretation.

Adam and Eve were also experiments and I think N2 probably would have killed them too eventually. I also think they got slightly more than they bargained for when Eve started corrupting the machines he had influence over. Maybe 2B/9S killing him was doing N2's dirty work for it?

I don't think N2 felt like it NEEDED to do anything, it just simply wanted to see where things would go, especially with a pair of such advanced machines like Adam and Eve. Pascal was probably just a case where N2 decided to test the limits of his pacifism. Given that it seemingly could have reconnected any of the disconnected machines back into the network (explaining the sudden outbreak of the logic virus at the village), the fact that they pointedly spared Pascal and the children from the same fate kind of sells the idea that it just did what it did to see the results.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Know Such Peace posted:

Red eyes is another huge hint, but I don’t remember any direct connections.

lalalalala the watchers code at a boring 9 to 5 main job when they're not on their apocalyptic side gig lalalalala

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Chokes McGee posted:

lalalalala the watchers code at a boring 9 to 5 main job when they're not on their apocalyptic side gig lalalalala

This is probably up there in terms of good ways to describe the tech industry. Which is making me think on a few angles of this game's plot in new ways.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Hey, I got it by trying to get a good angle to shoot the Engels in the City Ruin assault. Trying to actually see what I was doing while shooting them ended up looking up the skirt without realizing. Felt real bad when the trophy popped up.

I hadn't even been looking at 2B, I was too busy trying to get a good look at the details on the boss.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Ashsaber posted:

Hey, I got it by trying to get a good angle to shoot the Engels in the City Ruin assault. Trying to actually see what I was doing while shooting them ended up looking up the skirt without realizing. Felt real bad when the trophy popped up.

I hadn't even been looking at 2B, I was too busy trying to get a good look at the details on the boss.

Great idea! That will also be my story for why I have the trophy! Thanks!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

...! posted:

Great idea! That will also be my story for why I have the trophy! Thanks!

My story: I bought it because I wanted to have all the trophies.

It isn't a very interesting story.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Ryas posted:

I don't think N2 felt like it NEEDED to do anything, it just simply wanted to see where things would go, especially with a pair of such advanced machines like Adam and Eve. Pascal was probably just a case where N2 decided to test the limits of his pacifism. Given that it seemingly could have reconnected any of the disconnected machines back into the network (explaining the sudden outbreak of the logic virus at the village), the fact that they pointedly spared Pascal and the children from the same fate kind of sells the idea that it just did what it did to see the results.

That raises an interesting question about what the logic virus is. It’s possible the machines have this core code to experiment and form splinter groups entirely because their core code is ‘fight your enemies’ BUT the logic virus could be a new thing that makes anyone start screaming or chewing or glowing red eyes. Honestly, since it affects machines and androids both, it might be a completely new, third side of the conflict.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Or it’s specific to Machine Cores.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

My story: I bought it because I wanted to have all the trophies.

It isn't a very interesting story.

You know, that could be verified by someone looking at your trophy list and seeing when you earned it... ;)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pretty sure the upskirt shot is the last one I got on the PS4 too. If not, it was definitely in the last couple alongside the 9S shorts one.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Pretty sure the upskirt shot is the last one I got on the PS4 too. If not, it was definitely in the last couple alongside the 9S shorts one.

That reminds me, one of the more amusing things I noticed about the PS4 version's trophy percentages is that something like 25% of N:A's players earned the upskirt shot trophy, while only maybe 15% of them earned the 9S shorts one. EDIT: Just checked, as of this writing it's actually closer to 22.7% and 13.5% respectively.

While I'm guessing the difference is mostly related to game progress and/or ignorance (I for instance heard about the upskirt trophy in this thread but hadn't heard of the shorts one until I looked it up), one could still make interesting observations about those numbers.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Relevant I guess...

https://twitter.com/TheDarkId/status/945931916188020738

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Bufuman posted:

That reminds me, one of the more amusing things I noticed about the PS4 version's trophy percentages is that something like 25% of N:A's players earned the upskirt shot trophy, while only maybe 15% of them earned the 9S shorts one. EDIT: Just checked, as of this writing it's actually closer to 22.7% and 13.5% respectively.

While I'm guessing the difference is mostly related to game progress and/or ignorance (I for instance heard about the upskirt trophy in this thread but hadn't heard of the shorts one until I looked it up), one could still make interesting observations about those numbers.

That most people who are into dudes still don’t feel the need to see a kid running around with no pants for an hour? 9S isn’t exactly a male 2B...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Don't worry, Id.

We already knew, in our hearts of hearts, that you were drunk.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The hardest part about rereading your old stuff is the shame I get from my own old sense of humor.

Being around people who are capable of growing up and examining themselves is a privilege in this day and age. Thank you, Id.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

You're in fact super rad owning up to that kinda stuff!

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

I'm really glad to see this, thank you Id. It can be pretty hard to own up to your past mistakes but I doubt there's even one of us who couldn't be described as a shithead in the past, but I hope that we've all grown up and will continue to improve as people as the years go by.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Y'all care way too much about whether someone thinks you were intentionally looking up a skirt.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Y'all care way too much about whether someone thinks you were intentionally looking up a skirt.

It's on your profile. Forever. Where people can see it :ohdear:.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's on your profile. Forever. Where people can see it :ohdear:.

It's okay, being the kind of creep who looks up other people's achievements is worse than being the kind of creep who pervs on fictional characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

If it's any sort of consolation or comfort, quality LPs like your old Drakenier stuff are the main thing that got me to register on SA, which has definitely been a net positive in my life (for instance, the excellent laptop I'm posting with was bought based on recommendations from SH/SC), and I really respect that you made a public apology completely unprompted. Sometimes it looks like everything's just going to hell and nobody cares, but gestures like that remind me that, despite the prevalence of high-visibility assholes, the majority of people are actually pretty decent folks. So, thanks, both for the LPs, and just for being (or trying to be, if you'd prefer) a good guy.

• Locked thread