Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

"How dare you leave my package out in the sun/rain/cold!?" "Someone could have stolen my package!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my local post office closes at like 5:30, and the nearest UPS depot is a 45 minute drive away, so it actually can be inconvenient to have to go get a package

on the other hand i can just have my package delivered to my workplace

although i remember one time back when i worked for the school district i had a package sent to the district office, which is normally staffed during winter break. but those idiots at UPS assumed "oh well it's winter break so we'll just not deliver any packages to "school" addresses." then when i drove over an hour to the UPS depot due to winter weather, i got out there only to find they'd stuck my packages in the back of a trailer and behind a thousand other packages that were slated for delivery to school addresses, so they couldn't even get it out for me and i'd wasted the trip and just had to wait until after winter break to get my package. that kinda sucked.

but fortunately that hasn't been a problem since i worked for the district

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

for a country that calls itself civilised the us is really hosed up in so many ways its unbelievable

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i just have anything worth more than $50 shipped to my office and then i bring it home

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

RISCy Business posted:

i just have anything worth more than $50 shipped to my office and then i bring it home

ever since i had something stolen out of my apartment complex's lobby this is what i do

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

spankmeister posted:

"How dare you leave my package out in the sun/rain/cold!?" "Someone could have stolen my package!"

Which is why you can request a required signature on delivery, they can't just drop it off unless someone signs that they accepted it.

Not that they always honor that poo poo, but thats how its supposed to work.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

heard a story about somebody's company putting the kibosh on that recently after their entire office was constantly receiving large automotive parts, high $ computer parts, dozens of small packages, etc. to the company then getting pissy with the receiving department if they werent getting everything to their office immediately

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

"I don't have time to wait around for a package!" "How dare you hand my mail to someone else!" "You can't expect me to miss work to drive all the way to the post office!"
these are all good arguments

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

these are all good arguments

really, the post is in a lose lose situation, because

spankmeister posted:

are good arguments too

just get signature required and insure it if you are worried

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Which is why you can request a required signature on delivery, they can't just drop it off unless someone signs that they accepted it.

Couriers around here just scribble something on there themselves and say it was signed by Firstname on shipping label.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://github.com/danielmiessler/SecLists/pull/155 lol

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
having the package waiting for me on the doorstop is way more convenient than having to go pick it up somewhere and it's never been an issue

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DrPossum posted:

these are useful and lots of aparement complexes have their own version too

a local apartment complex added those but you now have to pay a monthly fee to get any packages lol

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

a local apartment complex added those but you now have to pay a monthly fee to get any packages lol

landlords will gently caress tenants in literally any way possible

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
People wouldn't pick up their stuff at my apartment. The coat room in the office was full of things that sat for months on end. Now they only take packages around Christmas.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Ordered a bike to my office and the shop crew put it up on a high shelf :3:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

vOv posted:

i had a package marked as 'not at home' even though i live in an apartment complex with an intercom

this happens to me all the time. fedex is the worst offender

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

jeffrey bezos the 1st has priced out all delivery companies from being able to afford to pay the extra cent per package it costs to be tolerable

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kuvo posted:

this happens to me all the time. fedex is the worst offender

generally, fedex/ups drivers aren't allowed to go home until they "attempt" delivery of all the packages the computer put on their truck for delivery that day
so when it's getting late in the afternoon and they're behind schedule, they'll just start marking failed attempts so they can have dinner at a reasonable hour

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I just leave the front door unlocked and the courier man puts it in the door and off he goes.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and he doesn’t even have to DDoS your access point, amazing!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i have a PO box. anything that wont fit in it they keep at the adjoining post office and leave me a note to collect it. works for me :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

recently amazon's switched to a different carrier for me and my packages have started to do crazy things, like i've gotten at least three different ones where they'll not show as shipped for a couple days, then the next day they'll get marked as "destroyed" (like, specifically 'destroyed') and amazon will automatically recreate the order and ship a second one of whatever i ordered, and then a day later the original one shows up on my door completely intact, and then two days after that the second one shows up

i mean so far this has entirely worked in my favor so i'm not really complaining but lol

canis minor
May 4, 2011

This is fun - gain access to Lastpass without loging in

https://hackernoon.com/lastpass-authenticator-app-is-not-secure-77b9743c3007

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ate all the Oreos posted:

recently amazon's switched to a different carrier for me and my packages have started to do crazy things, like i've gotten at least three different ones where they'll not show as shipped for a couple days, then the next day they'll get marked as "destroyed" (like, specifically 'destroyed') and amazon will automatically recreate the order and ship a second one of whatever i ordered, and then a day later the original one shows up on my door completely intact, and then two days after that the second one shows up

i mean so far this has entirely worked in my favor so i'm not really complaining but lol

i feel like there's some kind of weird scam going on here but i can't put my finger on it

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

they've only been aware since june, give them some time

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RFC2324 posted:

Just the other day I had three servers delivered which were supposed to be signature required and the guy just dropped them on the porch. I was not only home but visible through the window and he didn't even ring the doorbell.

If I were less honest I'd have three new servers in my house on UPS' dime.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why did you have servers delivered to your house?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

To be fair, it's their 2FA app, not the password app.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

infernal machines posted:

why did you have servers delivered to your house?

Small company, I work from home.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

wolrah posted:

Just the other day I had three servers delivered which were supposed to be signature required and the guy just dropped them on the porch. I was not only home but visible through the window and he didn't even ring the doorbell.

If I were less honest I'd have three new servers in my house on UPS' dime.

Some delivery services allow you to see the signature (made on a digital pad) on their delivery tracking page. In that case, you can see exactly how the delivery guy faked it, and send in a complaint against them. Gets them reprimanded, or sacked.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Carbon dioxide posted:

Some delivery services allow you to see the signature (made on a digital pad) on their delivery tracking page. In that case, you can see exactly how the delivery guy faked it, and send in a complaint against them. Gets them reprimanded, or sacked.
hell yeah gently caress the working class

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
if they're not doing their job then they're not working, q.e.d quid pro quo lorum ipsem

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

minato posted:

if they're not doing their job then they're not working, q.e.d quid pro quo lorum ipsem

then they're doing a good patriotic job of being a boat anchor to capitalism :patriot:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anthonypants posted:

hell yeah gently caress the working class

Where are you going with this?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Where are you going with this?
complaining to some service worker's manager to get them fired because you don't like their performance or their attitude is disgusting, to me, imho

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

anthonypants posted:

complaining to some service worker's manager to get them fired because you don't like their performance or their attitude is disgusting, to me, imho

so what is the proper recourse to someone leaving your package which gets stolen, then? if you don't dispute the signature, you often cannot request reshipment.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
missing a delivery time or god forbid tossing a box onto your porch without knocking is one thing yeah, but forging a signature is some next level bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

anthonypants posted:

go post this in the tech bubel thread, we need something there to wash down that eight page hoa slap fight that just wrapped up

• Locked thread