Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

chemosh6969 posted:

It'll be a shame when they end up fighting North Korean Scorpion instead.

I thought harpoons were more of a "Japanese research vessel" thing these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

not caring here posted:

If anyone is considering going back in just stand out side in the freezing cold for 30 minutes at 4 in the morning wearing wildly lacking clothing and then run across some uneven ground in the dark singing stupid songs and if you hurt yourself then pay some homeless person to yell at you about how you are a piece of poo poo and then go to the doctor but leave the appointment half way through because that's the quality of medical care to expect and just drink a lot of water and eat motrin until your stomach lining bleeds and then if you ever make a mistake or someone near you makes a mistake at you current job just stand outside for 6 hours after work ends every day and then set 2 weeks pay on fire and if you still want to join then you deserve everything you get and gently caress you

enlisting after christmas for 8 years 11x option 40 whatup

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
18X or nothing

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

40C or 72B

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

In her book on Groom Lake, an otherwise good aerospace history ends up completely untrustworthy because she claims with a straight face that Roswell was actually genetically engineered Soviet child pilots. So there’s a good chance that BMEWS story is made up.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

SimonCat posted:

The Koreans do that poo poo on the reg. It's been a thing for a while.

It’s their country and if they want to incorporate weird machismo into their info ops, I think it’s fair game. They have a neighbor to the north who gets away with murdering South Korean troops every 5-10 years. The american ground forces* are just farting around like bait and this is not a good look on them.

*the American intel, rocket artillery, aviation and naval assets would be of actual use in a conflict

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Don't forget North Korea tried to intimidate SK and USA with a dog show at one point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9jNIUtUn3c

Eccentric posturing is par for the cause in this conflict :)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Tias posted:

Don't forget North Korea tried to intimidate SK and USA with a dog show at one point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9jNIUtUn3c

Eccentric posturing is par for the cause in this conflict :)

I liked when the dogs did the long jump at the end

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
More dog videos please

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I hear every contract comes with your choice of a charger or a camaro. Yusha wouldn't lie to me right?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Nah, they only had mustangs for a while

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Anyone have any fun stories of military idiocy at Christmas? The best gift of all would be laughter.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
lmao if you think i was anywhere near a military instillation during christmas and new years.

except when i was deployed and went on patrol. but that wasn't fun or funny, it was boring.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Anyone have any fun stories of military idiocy at Christmas? The best gift of all would be laughter.

Yeah we're basically humor in uniform up in this bitch

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

HEY MCNALLY

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I went to basic with a dude named McNally but they messed up his namrtapes and he had to wear McAnally the entire time.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

In fairness, the army shitshow didn't really start until after the new year.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

We deployed on Dec 27th. First deployment, best deployment. Our Canadian MCC brought a coffee pot and his wife would send us a huge bag of Tim Hortons every two weeks. My roommate's grandmother sent him a care package containing such essentials as a 5lb bag of uncooked rice (he was baffled) and a couple of regular Hershey's bar ("Gee thanks grandma, fortunately it's not WWII anymore.") None of us got too sick from the black mold, and my room had a Katie Perry calendar (first time I'd heard of her).

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

drgitlin posted:

In her book on Groom Lake, an otherwise good aerospace history ends up completely untrustworthy because she claims with a straight face that Roswell was actually genetically engineered Soviet child pilots. So there’s a good chance that BMEWS story is made up.

I read that one as well at the Operation Paperclip book. I know there's some crazy in them but at least it's coming from somewhat more reliable sources than the UFO/bigfoot/Loch Ness Monster stuff I used to read as a kid, and it's also a minor portion of her books. Honestly, secret government genetic engineering from whatever Nazi scientist was into that stuff wouldn't surprise me, at least at some level and not complete humans at that time. The DARPA book mentioned how they were able to do implants to cocoons that the caterpillar would then grow into as they turned to moths. I'd be disappointed if a government wasn't trying to do some basic stuff like that with fetuses by now (because I'm obviously an inhuman monster).

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Given all the other heinous poo poo done or proposed in the name of national security during the cold war, the soviets having a program to gengineer better people is not that farfetched.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Genetic engineering is really hard and has only really been a thing in the past 20-30 years. It's also WAY harder in animals than plants. We'll probably see an enormous amount of progress in our lifetimes.

The Nazis had insanely wacky beliefs about genetics and until Stalin died Soviet scientists were crippled by Lysenkoism so the usual mad science suspects wouldn't have been able to do poo poo. If the US or UK wanted to do some crazy genetics program I don't think the knowledge to do anything worthwhile existed until at least the 80s, even if the will was there.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Someone set off the fire alarm in our barracks yesterday because they were vaping fat clouds in their room. Our brand new First Sergeant was pissed, but that’s about it :/

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Thump! posted:

Someone set off the fire alarm in our barracks yesterday because they were vaping fat clouds in their room. Our brand new First Sergeant was pissed, but that’s about it :/

This happened in AIT and one of the guys in my class was threatened with sharp complaints because he was in the shower and formed up outside with only a towel and flip flops.

ya know instead of potentially burning to death getting dressed

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

chemosh6969 posted:

I read that one as well at the Operation Paperclip book. I know there's some crazy in them but at least it's coming from somewhat more reliable sources than the UFO/bigfoot/Loch Ness Monster stuff I used to read as a kid, and it's also a minor portion of her books. Honestly, secret government genetic engineering from whatever Nazi scientist was into that stuff wouldn't surprise me, at least at some level and not complete humans at that time. The DARPA book mentioned how they were able to do implants to cocoons that the caterpillar would then grow into as they turned to moths. I'd be disappointed if a government wasn't trying to do some basic stuff like that with fetuses by now (because I'm obviously an inhuman monster).

1- Our goal is to control the flight of an insect by appropriating its sensory systems. Although significant funding has gone in to developing micro air vehicles (MAVs, wingspan <15cm), flying insects still significantly outperform the most sophisticated flying robots in efficiency, flight time, stability, and maneuverability. The restrictions that such a small spatial scale places on the amount of energy that can be stored on-board and on actuator efficiency means that this gap is expected to continue for a number of years to come. We are therefore pursuing a novel MAV design that uses an actual flying insect. We strive to produce small insect backpacks capable of receiving commands remotely and providing power to a combination of neural and optical stimulators. The patterns of stimulation will allow us to trick the insects motor-sensory system into responding to fictitious self-movements. We aim to use these 'ghost' stimuli to remotely control the insect's flight, while at the same time capitalizing on their remarkable natural flying abilities. The project has advanced to testing devices in free- flight and optimizing the stimulation parameters.

2- This research presents an implantable, miniaturized power generating system, a biofuel cell, which scavenges power from living organisms. The system harvests carbohydrates such as sugars stored inside the organism and, via an enzyme catalyst, decomposes these carbohydrates to generate electrical power. Our initial target for these devices is as a power supply for cyborg beetles. Our group has previously developed cyborg beetles, live beetles driven by wireless neural stimulator mounted on the dorsal thorax (see BPN 451). The stimulators are currently powered by a conventional rechargeable lithium battery. The goal of this work is to employ the implantable biofuel cell to charge the lithium battery by using the insect's own sugar stores. Insects predominantly store trehalose which can be decomposed into two molecules of glucose by the enzyme trehalase. Glucose serves as an electron donor when catalyzed by oxidoreductases such as glucose oxidase or glucose dehydrogenase. Our biofuel cell uses both trehalase and glucose oxidoreductase at the anode. We will present modification of the electrode, its surface chemistry, implantation of the biofuel cell and whole system integration.

3- One of the first things that happens when you cut your skin is that a DC electric field arises at the wound site. This field, first discovered in the mid-1800s, is called 'the wound field', and has been shown to exist in a variety of forms in a variety of wounds. The salient point of the wound field is that there is reason to believe that we may be able to manipulate it to improve how our injuries heal in certain cases. In particular, we are considering assisting healing of injuries to skin, intestine, and bone using a device that can encompass the wound site, monitor particular physiological metrics (pH, endogenous electric signals, etc.), and electrically stimulate the wound to improve the quality and rate of healing. In order to better define how this device will look, we are currently conducting in vitro testing with our own microfabricated stimulation devices and epithelial cells that are involved in natural wound healing. While it has long been known that such cells will orient and move in the presence of DC electric fields, we are not aware of prior efforts to explore the degree of control that can be achieved by dynamically manipulating local electrical fields. For instance, if we take a cluster of cells and apply a localized field over just part of that cluster, can we locally sculpt the developing tissue? An interesting detail of this approach is that many of the analytical techniques we will be using are derived directly from those used to study emergent behavior in herding sheep, flocking birds, schooling fish, and large crowds of humans. Our goal is to use the minimum control inputs necessary to effect system level change in a tissue. Depending on how successful this is, these approaches could provide new ways of interacting not just with injuries but also with laboratory tissue engineering where we try to recapitulate the developmental environment to regenerate damaged organs or grow new organs.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

chemosh6969 posted:

The structure of DNA wasn’t even discovered until the early 1950s, and Soviet science took a very long time to catch up to the west because they went down some stupid Lamarckian avenues thanks to ideological direction. Even were that not the case, it’s implausible to think that the Soviets could have developed both long-range saucer-shaped aircraft and genetic modifications to human beings that worked well enough to let some of these poor bastards get taught to fly etc etc and yet both technologies completely disappear from their toolkit and never crop up again?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

rifles posted:

This happened in AIT and one of the guys in my class was threatened with sharp complaints because he was in the shower and formed up outside with only a towel and flip flops.

ya know instead of potentially burning to death getting dressed

My old S-3 took me aside about how the squadron commander was fuming at me for reporting to the TOC in flip flops when our base was being penetrated like a week after we arrived in country, gently caress the army

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Thump! posted:

lets all remember that thump is the guy that was an reservist amtrak mechanic, got out, and then joined the army(ng?) to be a cav scout.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

vains posted:

lets all remember that thump is the guy that was an reservist amtrak mechanic, got out, and then joined the army(ng?) to be a cav scout.

Active duty, got stationed in Alaska on Stryker MGSs lmao

kill me

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hahahaha, oh my god you got F'd in the A

vains
May 26, 2004

alaska is probably cool to visit

vains
May 26, 2004

not caring here posted:

Hahahaha, oh my god you got F'd in the A

no hes loving himself in the rear end. like suction cup dildo in the shower just going to town on himself

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

vains posted:

no hes loving himself in the rear end. like suction cup dildo in the shower just going to town on himself

...and realizing halfway through that you regret it, but are being forced to keep going until you finish.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

bulletsponge13 posted:

...and realizing halfway through that you regret it, but are being forced to keep going until you finish.

I don't like this metaphor you still get to nut

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Sex doesn’t always end with orgasm. They mean when the Army finishes.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Soulex posted:

Sex doesn’t always end with orgasm.

I usually only try to say this when they start crying.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yup. Sex also ends when you pass out drunk or whisky dick wins. Or you try something stupid like butter for lubrication.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Tbf Alaska is actually kinda nice and I’m enjoying the place and my unit isn’t full of gently caress ups and is pretty okay, so it’s not the worst fate in the world v:shobon:v

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Plus living in town with my wife beats the ever living gently caress out of being anywhere near the base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

Yup. Sex also ends when you pass out drunk or whisky dick wins. Or you try something stupid like butter for lubrication.