Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tame dragon, ride dragon into battle. Laugh rear end off when you siege with the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Don't you have to have a dragon in order to defeat Winter forever? I think that's what the books are implying. Dragons -> Magic -> Longer Springs

This Universe is seriously weird.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Build a pit, put the dragon in the pit, sit on the dragon (in the pit).

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Part 16: A Game of Thrones

Incidentally, it’s worth remembering that Eddard was born only shortly before the Citadel declared that winter had begun. It’s been winter for twenty loving years.

I’m starting to think that if the White Walkers are on the board, it literally can’t become spring. Which is a problem, because nobody can beat them, and everyone’s just fighting the wrong war anyway, defending against their invasions instead of calling the War for the Dawn. Which means it’ll have to be me that does it. Which means that I’ll need an army that can meet the Walkers in open combat. Which means I’ll need to forge the realms of men together into a single force, as no disunified scattering will stand a chance.

This is exactly the case. So long as the white walkers have even a single holding, winter never ends.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I have to agree with DCB here. Time to bring that organic WMD under your control, unite the Seven Kingdoms in your late mother's name (You'd have thought the southern bastards would have learned it's a terrible idea to execute the parents of the Northern paramount after the last two times) and then go put some daylight between yourself and the cold ones.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

and then go put some daylight between yourself and the cold ones.

Crack open some cold ones with the boys?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
As of this update I'm still saving up for a dragonpit -- winter has made all construction very expensive and it costs over 1100 gold, don't forget.

Next update we are absolutely going to discuss dragonpits and dragon taming, I promise.

edit: Turns out I miscounted updates. Next next update. Really!

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 29, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Part 17: A Matter of Administration

Various Riverlands vassals agitate at me to be named King of the Trident every now and again. None of them like hearing “no”, but I’m not handing that title out until I have a few other King-level titles to check it. I have no intention of breeding another Edmure Tully.

Sybelle is one of my bastard half-sisters and Mother always spoke very highly of the Dothraki. This offer is acceptable to me.

I get a very flattering nickname with the minor side effect of making me sound like a stage magician. I’ll have to live up to it if any of us are ever going to see another spring.

Well, how about that? Good job, guys. Still, you know they’re just gonna re-declare the invasion, right? Because they are.

Good, very good.

The game gets a bit confused about who Robb is, but at least he’s picking up some swordfighting skills. Unfortunately I’m somewhat poo poo in personal combat so I don’t have much to teach him, but I suppose every little bit helps.

This is actually really helpful. The vassal she’s asking for is de jure hers (that’s why she’s asking). My kingdom has a bunch of Lords reporting directly to me, which is why I’m overwhelmed with vassals, and that really shouldn’t be the case -- I shouldn’t be dealing with anyone below the High Lord (aka Duke in regular CK2) level. If I’d noticed that guy being out of his de jure High Lordship I would have handed him over just to be rid of him, I’m more than happy to take a free favor for it.

And here’s another reason why I’m so swamped: a bunch of fairly important High Lordships were just never even created. Even though I control all of its territories, I can’t create the title, because I don’t directly control any land within it.

But I have options there.

Gosh, the omnicidal ice demons didn’t respect any concept of truce but just immediately invaded again? You don’t say!

I’m staying out of this and all future calls for aid. Not because I don’t want to help, but because it’s the wrong war. Defensive wars don’t help here, as Ned knows all too well. Only the War for the Dawn will matter, and until that, being at war just limits my options to do the things I’ll need to prepare for war.

Bastard children are still children of my dynasty who will grow up and can be given titles. I care about that very much.

Okay, so, see this guy? Apparently he’s acted dishonorably towards me. That’s all we need. I don’t actually know or care what he did, or is doing, or whatever. If it was something important to my interests I would have remembered. It’s petty bullshit that I’d let slide if it didn’t serve my interests.

I raise a few thousand men and park them right outside his land. You can’t declare war with levies already raised, but I’m not going to declare war.

Oh look, my guards failed to capture him. How terrible. How not at all what I wanted to happen in the first place.

The men I had waiting just next door move in immediately, and so much for the “rebellion”.

And you get a free title revocation on traitors.

Now that I directly hold some land, I can create the title.

I find a likely young lad and betrothe him matrilineally to my legitimate half-sister. Then I hand him Saltpans and the Bay of Crabs. Boom, 3 less direct vassals to deal with.

Eddard and Ronessa have another child, and I still have plenty of baby names in mind for these kids.

Good! If he was fooled he would have raised the kid as his own and I wouldn’t have gotten another Stark.

I have no problem with that. It was nothing personal, which I’m sure is a great comfort to this guy now that he’s landless and penniless.

drat it!

Whatever, get out of jail. I wasn’t actually mad at you.

Another High Lord helps me with properly ordering my realm.

Arthor Snow it is, then. How would you like to rule Pentos one day, kid?

A bunch of my vassals have been taking advantage of the peacetime to hold Northern melees, which are actually pretty fun. In-game they play out as a series of personal duels against increasingly skilled opponents, so it’s a great chance to practice those mechanics and yes okay there’s some risk of maiming or death, but that’s what makes it fun! Ned is not a great swordsman but I do pretty well in this one, which is neat.

I don’t know what happened to Elinor’s levies. I also don’t care.

I have more. That’s what I care about.

Aaaaand I can’t declare war because she’s got yet another bastard half-sister in her dungeons.

Whom she will not ransom back to me, because seriously, the AI in this game is fantastic. She knows exactly why I’m offering and what would happen if she said yes.

Jailbreak it is, then.

This is neat. Ruins are a GoT mod-only mechanic; destroyed provinces that answer to nobody and produce nothing. (All Winter-held provinces become ruins, as we saw during the wars beyond the Wall.) Reclaiming one would be really great, but it costs 1000 gold and say it with me now, I’m saving up for a Dragonpit.

Yoink!

That’s my mother’s chair you’re sitting on, cousin.

Next time: We talk about dragon-taming! Oh and also try to conquer Westeros or something but whatever

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
:getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In which the Starks end up conquering all of Westeros, not because they particularly want to, but because motherfuckers just won't leave them alone. :allears:

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Perestroika posted:

In which the Starks end up conquering all of Westeros, not because they particularly want to, but because motherfuckers just won't leave them alone. :allears:

Fitting end since, going back to Rhaegar & Lyanna, Aerys & Rickard, that's how all this poo poo began.

Time to change the House Motto from "Winter Is Coming" to "We Don't Start poo poo, We Finish It."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mister Perky posted:

Time to change the House Motto from "Winter Is Coming" to "We Don't Start poo poo, We Finish It."
"We're Coming For Winter"

It's good that the rule "You have to hold land inside it to create a High Lordship" can be turned off now. It's always been a pain to work with when you just want a tidy realm.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Getting the sense that the rest of westeros is REAL lucky that the Pact of Ice and Fire did not, in fact, go through.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ratoslov posted:

Build a pit, put the dragon in the pit, sit on the dragon (in the pit).

You don't actually need a pit to tame a dragon, by the way. You just need a pit to put the dragon in the pit to keep the dragon from dragoning around at your peasants.

So you can do pit/dragon in any order!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Dude!

Hey, which of the seven kingdoms are currently allied to the Iron Throne? The North and the Riverlands are ours (obviously). What about the rest?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

painedforever posted:

Dude!

Hey, which of the seven kingdoms are currently allied to the Iron Throne? The North and the Riverlands are ours (obviously). What about the rest?
All vassals of the Iron Throne. They fell back in line in King Edric's reign.

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL

frankenfreak posted:

"We're Coming For Winter"

It's good that the rule "You have to hold land inside it to create a High Lordship" can be turned off now. It's always been a pain to work with when you just want a tidy realm.

"Winter came."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Part 18: A Storm of Crowns

Drogon is roaming wild outside Meereen, I guess? I’ll have to try to get him under control later.

I march my men right to King’s Landing without meeting any resistance at all on the way.

While they besiege the capital, my secondary force finally finds a hostile army in the field. Gods, it feels good to slaughter weak southron fools again.

Catelyn Tully dies of old age, having never remarried. Rest in peace.

It’s so easy.

Endless winter or not, Winterfell has begun to prosper once again. In fact, I finally have enough money for a Dragonpit.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN’T BUILD ONE UNLESS I’M A DRAGON RIDER, I’M TRYING TO BUILD ONE SO I CAN BECOME A DRAGON RIDER WHAT SORT OF CATCH-22 BULLSHIT IS THIS

AAAAAAAAARGH

Arya had a son!

Anyway blah blah blah Elinor had no chance against me, this wasn’t hard to do with twice the men she had.

Huh. Interesting trigger work by the mod team here; notice that I don’t get any choice in the matter. And while yes, the Iron Throne title obsoletes the North title because it claims all the same territory, I’m sort of upset about it. I intended to keep the North as the primary title, to make a point about who was ruling things now.

Oooh! Treasure! It’s mostly crowns, none of which are any better than the Crown of Winter, so I’ll keep wearing that one to make my point that way. If I can ever tame Rhaegal maybe I’ll take to wearing one of the Targaryen crowns instead. And unfortunately, you have to be Big or Strong to wield Robert’s Warhammer, so that just has to collect dust.

Let’s do this properly.

It’s time to hand out justice to the old administration. The Kingsguard seems to me to be made up of worthy knights, so I keep them in their stations, while I judge my blood feud with Elinor resolved, and she is family. I allow her to go on her way.

Godsdamn right all hail me.

That’s Tommen’s son, still calling himself a Baratheon but reduced to his proper station, ruling the Lannister holdings. I leave past grievances in the past and grant him his due honors.

Ahem. That’s King Eddard of the Houses Stark and Targaryen, First of His Name, King of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, King in the North, King of Meereen, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, and Son of the Direwolf and Dragon.

Get it right.

Westeros is mine.

(That one dot right in the Marches is Summerhall. It’s a ruin.)

See that? That’s with a massive Too Many Vassals penalty (because now I really do have to hand off the Kingdom of the Riverlands).

Ships! I’ve finally got ships!

So I check out my new holdings and... what the hell? King’s Landing has no dragonpit. Dragonstone has no dragonpit. Meereen has no dragonpit. Hey, you know the only two cities in the lore to definitely have dragonpits? King’s Landing and Meereen, what the gently caress, you’re even using King’s Landing as an example in the description there you right loving bastards. Uuuuugh. So we really are gonna need to talk about this.

Whereas, the Freys made a pact with our uncle Robb, First of his Name, when said pact was politically risky, and

Whereas, they have been leal and faithful servants to our family ever since, and

Whereas, Roslin of the House Frey was Queen in the North, and

Whereas, Ronessa of the House Haigh is Queen in the North,

THEREFORE do I, Eddard of Houses Stark and Targaryen, First of My Name, declare that the house of FREY shall be Lords Paramount of the Trident, Lord Ryman Frey to hold the title initially, and it shall pass to his heirs, and the heirs of his heirs, for as long as their line and mine shall endure.

P.S. Try to pull an Edmure on me and I’ll tear you down just as quick, don’t think I won’t do it

Is this any way to treat a beloved cousin? Is it? No, no it’s not. Bad Elinor.

With that unpleasantness done with, I thought I might hold a nice feast to get to know all my new vassals in the six kingdoms I’ve suddenly come into power over. Feasts are nice.

There we go, see? Feasts! Problem-solving! You all have a lovely new king who you’re not going to rebel against and make life miserable and we’ll all be happy together.

I wish Ronessa hadn’t done this, as it’ll make having legitimate children harder and we still only have the one male Stark, that’s not really enough! I may have to divorce her when she’s older.

Dorne’s sucking up by marrying my last (I think? Dany apparently cheated on Rickon quite a bit) bastard half-sister to the heir to their throne. I don’t mind that at all, they’re powerful vassals.

Bedding my skinchanger Master of Whispers, goddamn yes, that’s awesome. (Or even... amazing? Ha ha but no seriously I hate my nickname)

I keep doing melees every now and again, mostly hoping that I’ll get a duel skill-up out of them. It hasn’t happened yet, but I did make the finals!

With my vassal count mostly managed (I’m one over) and the shock of my sudden assumption of the throne starting to wear off, my levy count is now pretty high, and climbing. It’s certainly higher than I’ve ever had it in the game before. Even at full strength, though, it’s not enough.

Questions for the Council

Okay, we need to talk about a bunch of stuff, might as well start with the most interesting one and handle dragon-taming first. Ned’s a very poor candidate for a successful tame; he has no favorable traits, he didn’t actually hatch Rhaegal from an egg, his stats are mediocre at best. All he’s got going for him is the bloodline and that is not going to be enough. We need the dragonpit. But as you’ve seen, we’re in a Catch-22 there. Can’t tame the dragon until we build it, can’t build it until we tame the dragon. And this system is just stupid; why exactly are “has a dragon egg” and “has a dragon to ride” but not “bonded with a dragon” covered? Is it developer oversight? Why doesn’t King’s Landing or Dragonstone already have them? This is just... it’s stupid, and I hate it, and I’m asking permission to cheat. I feel like the best solution is to just use a console command to give myself a dragon egg, so that I’ll get around the build restrictions but will still have to bear the costs of building it, which are excessive both in gold and build time.

Second, let’s talk about culture. I shifted the capital to King’s Landing because of its more central location, and that gives me the option to cease being a Northman and change to King’s Landing culture. Presumably that would give me the ability to have tournaments, which are Southron nonsense that the North doesn’t hold with, as right now I can only hold melees. I don’t know how it’d affect me popularity-wise; I’d still be a “foreigner” to most of the realm. It’d probably be a lateral move at best. It’s an option, though.

Third, we need plans in both the short and long terms. I’m pretty sure I can hold Westeros; it’s seeming pretty stable in the short time I’ve held it and as time goes by I’ll start getting long reign bonuses (Ned is still extremely young, there’s no reason why he shouldn’t reign for another four decades or so). I can take Pentos basically at will, and will probably do that -- it’s a sizable prize that’ll get us a foothold across the Narrow Sea and their levies are pathetic in comparison to mine now.

But let’s talk about levies some more with an eye on our real enemy. I’m up to 42,000, with a max of 57,000 when fully replenished. Let’s assume that number will go up a bit more as invasion shock wears off and everyone decides they like me, and call it 60k -- which you might recall were the size of King Edric’s levies back in the day and he didn’t have the North or the Riverlands, so maybe I can do a bit more, but I’ve also got pretty cruddy stats, so we’ll just keep our estimate at 60k. Let’s say I take Pentos and they contribute another 5,000 troops. My hypothetical levies are now 65,000 strong. That’s a lot! It’s more, in fact, than pretty much anyone else in the game!

The White Walkers have 250,000 soldiers. And that number is only increasing.

Now, they do tend to split those levies up, as you’ve seen sometimes in the screenshots; I’ve never seen them stack more than 100k at once. So if we had an army of approximately that size, we might be able to beat them in a straight-up fight -- and at numbers of those size, if we can get some wins, we’re going to be cutting them down by the tens of thousands and it could snowball in our favor very rapidly. But there’s a lot of ifs in that strategy -- if we can get our levies 100k strong, if we can maneuver to battle without attrition destroying those numbers before the Walkers can, if we win the first battles, then we win the war. But those probable casualty numbers cut both ways, and if things don’t go our way and our men get slaughtered, we’re in big trouble. As we saw with Edmure Tully making trouble, and with the faction problems while I was sorting out the vassal situation, and as Elinor learned to her sorrow, low levies means that everyone who wants a go is going to come at you, because you no longer have the men to stop them.

On the other hand, you might well have noticed something that seems to be contradicting that strategy for fighting the Others. “Wait,” you might be saying. “That coalition we were a part of forced a White Peace, and they did that with uncoordinated armies no bigger than 5,000 each on average. Surely that means there’s a way to win a war with these bastards without beating them in the field!” And yeah, I think there is. I paid some attention to that war, and they did it by sieges. They sieged Winter territory constantly, racking up enough wins in succession to spike the warscore into the positives before the zombie hordes would descend on them, crush them, and send it back down to 0% or negative with a rout in open battle. We could try this. We have ships, we have men, the Walkers have a long coastline to defend, and all their levies are out on their westward borders fighting invasions. A strategy of daring marine raids on coastal hoardings and then running our men back to the ships if and when the Walkers bring their levies back to deal with us is possible. It’s also risky in its own right; the CK2 engine favors battle and soldiers killed heavily over sieges when it comes to warscore. We’ll have a very difficult time getting to 100% that way, and if we get caught out and slaughtered we’re right back on the short track to doom.

So we have two options. (Well, technically three, but “sit tight in Westeros in an endless winter and just see how long it takes for the Walkers to come for us in a wave of extinction that will be at that point unstoppable” isn’t much of an option in my mind.) We can either go on the offensive, racing to conquer as much of Essos as possible as quickly as possible in the hopes that when there’s nothing left that isn’t either us or the Others we can beat them in a fair fight, or we can conquer Pentos, try to tame a dragon, build up our levies a bit more, and then try a somewhat insane plan of winning a war without ever fighting a single battle.

These are not good options. Frankly, I think the odds that this playthrough ends in the end of the world are pretty high no matter what we do at this point; I look at that 250k and things seem very, very bleak. So let’s talk this out and figure out how we’re going to move forward.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Is it possible to cheat yourself an egg, build the pit, then cheat the egg out of existence again? If so, Do That.

This councilor is pro-cheating, when the rules are stupid.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The_Final_Stand posted:

Is it possible to cheat yourself an egg, build the pit, then cheat the egg out of existence again? If so, Do That.

Username seems appropriate

How many men did this new others invasion start with? They seem to have grown at a staggering rate

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

We didn't spend multiple lifetimes to get cheated out of a dragon because of a stupid oversight. So cheat it back.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Questions for the Council

Okay, we need to talk about a bunch of stuff, might as well start with the most interesting one and handle dragon-taming first. Ned’s a very poor candidate for a successful tame; he has no favorable traits, he didn’t actually hatch Rhaegal from an egg, his stats are mediocre at best. All he’s got going for him is the bloodline and that is not going to be enough. We need the dragonpit. But as you’ve seen, we’re in a Catch-22 there. Can’t tame the dragon until we build it, can’t build it until we tame the dragon. And this system is just stupid; why exactly are “has a dragon egg” and “has a dragon to ride” but not “bonded with a dragon” covered? Is it developer oversight? Why doesn’t King’s Landing or Dragonstone already have them? This is just... it’s stupid, and I hate it, and I’m asking permission to cheat. I feel like the best solution is to just use a console command to give myself a dragon egg, so that I’ll get around the build restrictions but will still have to bear the costs of building it, which are excessive both in gold and build time.

The_Final_Stand posted:

This.

CapnAndy posted:

Second, let’s talk about culture. I shifted the capital to King’s Landing because of its more central location, and that gives me the option to cease being a Northman and change to King’s Landing culture. Presumably that would give me the ability to have tournaments, which are Southron nonsense that the North doesn’t hold with, as right now I can only hold melees. I don’t know how it’d affect me popularity-wise; I’d still be a “foreigner” to most of the realm. It’d probably be a lateral move at best. It’s an option, though.

Toss out the dumb old tree-gods and embrace the Southron culture.

CapnAndy posted:

On the other hand, you might well have noticed something that seems to be contradicting that strategy for fighting the Others. “Wait,” you might be saying. “That coalition we were a part of forced a White Peace, and they did that with uncoordinated armies no bigger than 5,000 each on average. Surely that means there’s a way to win a war with these bastards without beating them in the field!” And yeah, I think there is. I paid some attention to that war, and they did it by sieges. They sieged Winter territory constantly, racking up enough wins in succession to spike the warscore into the positives before the zombie hordes would descend on them, crush them, and send it back down to 0% or negative with a rout in open battle. We could try this.

So you gain warscore by besieging empty, ruined holdings? That feels...really game-y.

CapnAndy posted:

So we have two options. (Well, technically three, but “sit tight in Westeros in an endless winter and just see how long it takes for the Walkers to come for us in a wave of extinction that will be at that point unstoppable” isn’t much of an option in my mind.) We can either go on the offensive, racing to conquer as much of Essos as possible as quickly as possible in the hopes that when there’s nothing left that isn’t either us or the Others we can beat them in a fair fight

Voting this instead. If there's going to be a proper War for the Dawn, make it truly epic and apocalyptical. If we lose, we lose, but at least it'll be :black101: as all gently caress.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I say cheat in the entire pit in KL. It's lore appropriate, and you paid the iron price for it instead(sorta... not like it was hard).

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I want to see the world take a dragon-free stab at survival, even if its probably gonna be a losing war. This is a GRRM joint at heart; bleakness is the order of the day!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The_Final_Stand posted:

This.

Also no changing culture, the Starks shall always be Northmen at heart.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Culrture shift to High Valyrian or not at all

I find the idea that King's Landing doesn't have a dragon pit strange, unless it was destroyed in one of the many battles fought there? Can buildings be destroyed like that?

And I sorta feel like the longer you put off the war for the dawn, the harder it's gonna get.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Dancer posted:

I say cheat in the entire pit in KL. It's lore appropriate, and you paid the iron price for it instead(sorta... not like it was hard).

Yeah, do this.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cheats in Paradox games are literally there for fixing stuff when the game breaks, so cheat away.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
- Do the minimum amount of cheating necessary to get a Dragon Pit.
- Stay a Northman. In more peaceful times I'd favor becoming Southron to be able to hold tournaments, but that seems quite frivolous when a wintery apocalypse is happening.
- Expand your realm to prepare for a fair fight with The Others.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I looked it up, the Dragonpit in King's Landing is apparently a blasted ruin by the time of the books, having been initially destroyed during the Targaryen civil war, the Dance of Dragons, and then finished off by a couple thousand corpses getting piled into the ruins and burned with wildfire during a later epidemic.

Still seems like an oversight that you aren't allowed to rebuild it before actually taming a dragon, so cheat away and stay a northman.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Stay a northman, and cheat.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Cheat for your rightful dragon pit. Stay Northman. be an opportunistic bastard in taking on Winter.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I say just magic up a Dragonpit in King's Landing. As you point out it really should have one already.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
With mods as clusterfucky as they can be, I think you should just cheat yourself an egg. I'm interested in see how the dragon system works and now is as good a time as any to show it off.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
We didn't become DAKINGINDANORF generations ago just to abandon our title, Northmen we remain. Cheat the dragon pit back the way it was.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

If recent history has taught us anything, its that Northmen rock and southerners suck balls. Stay North and proud!

Cheat to get that dragon pit.

You should absolutely game the gently caress out of the war against the others.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That... absolutely has to be an oversight. I recall, for very certain reasons, that Dragonstone has a pit. Where has it gone? Cheat in a pit.

You COULD try to tame the dragon without one, but I think it's harder. And it's not easy to begin with. Since an egg is just a trait in this version of the mod, it should be easy to cheat in the trait and then cheat it out.

And the longer you put off fighting Winter the worse it will get. They reinforce by murder.

EDIT: I am trying to actually mod the mod files to make being bonded to a dragon work, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the syntax. Checking for friendship is awkward.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 31, 2017

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Remain true to our Northern Roots. Allowing a southron septon to officiate our coronation was gracious and conciliatory enough. Keep dancing with the gods and cultural values that have brought us this far.

Minimal Cheating to enable the dragon pit mechanic so you can show off all facets of the mod. The suggestion about cheating the egg in to unlock things then cheating it back out seems fair enough.

As for the war, how feasible is it to split out forces and pursue both strategies simultaneously? Set up a smaller (faster?) detachment to siege what it can behind enemy lines/in Others territory but primarily keeping on the move and being a distraction [and if it's small it's less of a disaster if they get caught out and slaughtered] while trying to add what Essos territory we can via diplomacy and/or sword (conceding a slower process for the latter because we're splitting up the army).

Or does breaking out troops into smaller groups just make all groups exponentially weaker and make it more likely we fail at everything?

If so I favor trying the insane plan first because it's more entertaining for us.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I FIGURED IT OUT

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7z9ww994i112jju/Dragonpit%20Fixes.rar?dl=0

Drop that in your mods folder, it'll overwrite the right things.

This will let you build a pit even if you just have a dragon associated with you.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Mountaineer posted:

- Do the minimum amount of cheating necessary to get a Dragon Pit.
- Stay a Northman. In more peaceful times I'd favor becoming Southron to be able to hold tournaments, but that seems quite frivolous when a wintery apocalypse is happening.
- Expand your realm to prepare for a fair fight with The Others.

:yeah:

• Locked thread