Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Is the weekly reward fixed or can you improve it if you run the cr multiple times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's fixed I think, but spending ten minutes doing a challenge rift is far more lucrative than that same time spent bounty or farming or whatever.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

exquisite tea posted:

I think the last thing anybody on earth wants is for the challenge rifts to be actually challenging.

I'd like them to feature builds that while likely not very powerful are fun and unique to play utilizing lesser known skills and interactions :smith: So many are just garbage rear end build snapshots from someone with a broken brain and/or at the beginning of the season.

mewse
May 2, 2006

But can you guys beat the challenge rift time of the player with BATTLETAG® Bengerman91?? Engaging content right here

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
What's with all these Barbarians using Wreath of Lightning? I'm following this build: https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/barbarian-furious-charge-build-with-raekor-and-immortal-king-patch-2-6-1-season-12

Is it not up to date?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
You use it with standoff in the cube so 25% movespeed is 125% damage.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I'm trying it out now - the speed bonus due to crushing objects is another nice surprise. I hope with it leveled up more the lightning damage may even be slightly significant.

Dr Strangepants fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 28, 2017

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

D1 Dungeon Anniversary event is returning:

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/21361560/the-darkening-of-tristram-12-28-2017

"The anniversary event begins January 1 at midnight PST and ends January 30 at the same time."

mewse
May 2, 2006

DrSeRRoD posted:

D1 Dungeon Anniversary event is returning:

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/21361560/the-darkening-of-tristram-12-28-2017

"The anniversary event begins January 1 at midnight PST and ends January 30 at the same time."

No mention of anything new, rip

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Mind over Matter posted:

80, yeah. I'm not sure how reasonably U6 will get to 90. I'm sure it's doable, but I haven't bothered trying on my monk. Uliana is unfortunately way, way outclassed by Sunwuko. A lot less effort for a lot more damage.

Wow you're not kidding. I thought "Uliana explodes an entire screen though, it's great" but Sunwuko does the same thing just by clicking bell. Set seems to be bugged for the Years of War conquest though, kinda lame.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

mewse posted:

No mention of anything new, rip

also disappointed

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Was that banner available before? It's the only thing that stood out to me, but it could be that I just never paid attention to it since it's not as neat as pets/portrait frames.

mewse
May 2, 2006

DrSeRRoD posted:

Was that banner available before? It's the only thing that stood out to me, but it could be that I just never paid attention to it since it's not as neat as pets/portrait frames.

I think it was, the Diablo wiki article lists the banner elements and hasn't been updated since February.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

mewse posted:

I think it was, the Diablo wiki article lists the banner elements and hasn't been updated since February.

Ah, I think the different color threw me off. I may still give it a run, just for the hell of it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah I've been using that banner shape since the last event

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Have returned to this game for the first time since it launched and am doing a seasonal character (a wizard). Am at level 70 and am starting grinding rifts and bounties. Is there anything specific I should be crafting now or hoarding my crafting materials for? Also should I identify a build to work towards now or instead experiment with abilities to get a feel for what matches my play style?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Have returned to this game for the first time since it launched and am doing a seasonal character (a wizard). Am at level 70 and am starting grinding rifts and bounties. Is there anything specific I should be crafting now or hoarding my crafting materials for? Also should I identify a build to work towards now or instead experiment with abilities to get a feel for what matches my play style?

this helped me a ton

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Hello. I have just bought the game and expansion and am brand spankin new. I made a monk. Do people chit chat on a discord here? I'm gonna go through the campaign and learn this wonderful new story!

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Charles Bukowski posted:

I'm gonna go through the campaign and learn this wonderful new story!

I...

uh...

:ohdear:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Leave them alone and let them get through it their one and only time at their own pace.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

DrSeRRoD posted:

FYI, it seems that the event is not active yet, in case you went to check it out and couldn't find the portal.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Yeah, the pages are dropping but I've heard the portal isn't going live until the 4th.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah some old patch note has been going around that says "future anniversary events will lead in with the pages Jan 1-3 before starting proper" or something like that. Kinda lame to have to wait though.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Star Man posted:

Leave them alone and let them get through it their one and only time at their own pace.

Totally agree, but also think the early game difficulties desperately need to be rebalanced. Went through it recently with a friend playing for the first time and it's just awful. Your resource generation and damage is truly miserable if you play at a difficulty that can kill you, or else you cruise through on normal/hard which isn't very engaging. Rifts mitigate it a little with the high monsters density, but your first time through bounties isn't much better.

Regardless of what you think of the story, characters, writing etc. of the campaign, it really doesn't show off the game's "have fun exploding monsters" gameplay very well which is kind of a shame.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Oh, do people not do the campaign? I saw there was some Adventure Mode but I don't know what that is. I don't see anyone else playing the campaign, I don't join anyone's game and no one joins mine. Feels bad.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Star Man posted:

Charles Bukowski posted:

Oh, do people not do the campaign? I saw there was some Adventure Mode but I don't know what that is. I don't see anyone else playing the campaign, I don't join anyone's game and no one joins mine. Feels bad.

No, you should absolutely do the campaign. It's worth doing at least once, though yes it has fallen out of favor at this point. I was not trying to imply "skp everything and start grinding rifts" by any means. I was just joking about the quality of the campaign's plot, nothing more.

Adventure is the go-to mode for most stuff these days, but I do think that playing the campaign once to learn the basics of the game is fine and good.

Also, go into options and turn on Elective Mode. This is the way the game should actually be played, and it means you aren't limited to one skill from each category.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I don't see the old battle.net style of creating games and joining games for campaign. Do people just jump in and out at will these days? I played for a few hours yesterday and didn't see another single soul.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Charles Bukowski posted:

I don't see the old battle.net style of creating games and joining games for campaign. Do people just jump in and out at will these days? I played for a few hours yesterday and didn't see another single soul.

The way it's set up now is not really optimized for anything but adventure mode (aka bad for campaign). If you have a game open and there are other people near your same level (not sure how close they have to be but the window seems very small, if not the same level), on the same difficulty, same type of character (seasonal vs. non-seasonal) it will let them join you. This works much better at level 70 (max level) when everybody plays on the same difficulty and adventure mode is 1 game type that's split into several other subtypes (bounties, rifts, GRs, etc). Really though, play the campaign exactly once and then do adventure mode from there on out.

You can also party up with people and then join a game together and do it that way.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

GoingPostal posted:

Yeah, the pages are dropping but I've heard the portal isn't going live until the 4th.

You heard correct. Blizzard's post: "...only the pre-cursor event (roaming cultists in Adventure Mode) is currently available. The portal to Old Tristram will open on January 4th."

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Larrymer posted:

The way it's set up now is not really optimized for anything but adventure mode (aka bad for campaign). If you have a game open and there are other people near your same level (not sure how close they have to be but the window seems very small, if not the same level), on the same difficulty, same type of character (seasonal vs. non-seasonal) it will let them join you. This works much better at level 70 (max level) when everybody plays on the same difficulty and adventure mode is 1 game type that's split into several other subtypes (bounties, rifts, GRs, etc). Really though, play the campaign exactly once and then do adventure mode from there on out.

You can also party up with people and then join a game together and do it that way.
Even then, the set of things you can readily get a pub game for is fairly small in Adventure Mode: mostly just a couple different breakpoints for rifts and bounties. Everything else is usually just a private game that you get invited to: join communities (like the LLJK community, which is kinda dead now because we're late in the season but will come back when the next season starts) to find those more readily.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wrote a small book on these forums about how Diablo 3’s campaign story is insulting on every level but you should still play the campaign once because Diablo is cool and good.

But literally only once and never again, buddy

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!
Oh Challenge Rift, I thought you had a decent character this week but you tricked me. I looked at the Crusader's gear and it seemed fine. Roland's with the set flail/shield. Decently rolled gear, high paragon, decent regular/legendary gems.

Then I realized he had 0% movement speed (admittedly it's not so bad with Steed Charge, but still, why would you do this?) I also realized he was squishy as gently caress and if I died I was likely going to die again before I could use the defensive buffs. I was able to beat it on the second try barely, but goddamn that was painful. Thankfully the Conduit pylon on floor 2 helped me recover after being 40 seconds behind. Never been a fan of Roland's, and now I dislike it even more.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

I wrote a small book on these forums about how Diablo 3’s campaign story is insulting on every level but you should still play the campaign once because Diablo is cool and good.

But literally only once and never again, buddy

I would like you read your book after I'm done the campaign.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Thorg posted:

Oh Challenge Rift, I thought you had a decent character this week but you tricked me.

He was squishy as gently caress and if I died I was likely going to die again before I could use the defensive buffs. I was able to beat it on the second try barely, but goddamn that was painful. Thankfully the Conduit pylon on floor 2 helped me recover after being 40 seconds behind. Never been a fan of Roland's, and now I dislike it even more.

Somehow in his recorded run the timer jumps up to like 10% before I even reach the first big pack of enemies :confused: I think they may have captured a bot playing or at the very least a supersperg putting way too much effort into a GR55, the defensive buffs are definitely on auto recast and he must have been maximizing the hell out of CoE.

Roland's is definitely not a bad set but this challenge rift is garbage.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Just got the game a few days ago to force some friends to play together. We got through the campaign and hit 70 and I'm trying to figure out what I should be doing with my time now.

Also, does Crusader ever get fun? I tried running it with a group of 4 and while I dig tanking in other games, it feels like a fool's errand in this.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Just got the game a few days ago to force some friends to play together. We got through the campaign and hit 70 and I'm trying to figure out what I should be doing with my time now.

Also, does Crusader ever get fun? I tried running it with a group of 4 and while I dig tanking in other games, it feels like a fool's errand in this.

I was always a fan of the shield throw build, it basically makes you a ranged character and sort of squishy but drat it's fun flinging a thousand shields around at once.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s lots of fun crusader builds but i enjoy chain shield bashing my way through rifts wearing Roland’s. It’s the only build for crusaders that I take horse off for, since your moving faster by shield bashing towards more guys

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I could see going back to the campaign to ease into a new character/class, where the extra structure would help me focus on the fundamentals before running loose all over the place. Jumping straight into hard adventure mode on a seasonal monk the other night was kind of a mess.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

John Murdoch posted:

I could see going back to the campaign to ease into a new character/class, where the extra structure would help me focus on the fundamentals before running loose all over the place. Jumping straight into hard adventure mode on a seasonal monk the other night was kind of a mess.

The leveling performance of the different classes is all hosed up and they're not spending dev dollars trying to fix it when you can get powerleveled to 70 in 20 minutes.

To be more specific you can't judge crusader until at least you're wearing a 6pc set and even then it won't be until you have the supporting items that you'll be seeing the performance that they balance numbers around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
I'd love to see them find a way to integrate campaign and adventure mode in the next game. The first time exploration of all the new-zones is still good and something that would be lost by just having adventure mode from the start.

Now that they have a full gear progression to T13 and beyond mapped out, as well as seasons at launch, they can do stuff like have your Haedrig's Gifts drop from the last boss of each act's story mode mission or something. Plus they can also do stuff like integrate bounties into the world so they are connected to people you see in game and can tell their mini-stories in each zone, like they started experimenting with in the shrouded moors/temple of the firstborn.

Maybe even take some risks and do something more drastic like have the story be a series of connected missions/dungeons on the adventure mode map. Or ditching levels 1-70 and replacing them with tutorial dungeons where you have to go get your new skills and try them out, which is basically the main point of campaign mode and leveling up these days. Or take all those little caves around the map and make them fully fleshed out, hand-crafted story dungeons since the overworld and rifts will still be procedurally generated.

I just don't see how they can justify a new game with "basically Diablo 3, but there is a new story and in this one you kill Diablo".

hampig fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 2, 2018