Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

CTE is the brain damage you get from playing football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

an actual dog posted:

the failing new york times
hi-ho, a derry-o

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://twitter.com/surfbordt/status/943602761492455424

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

This is why I support Pol Potting that island.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Make Escape From New York a reality

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
What’s funny is the New York Times would be good if it was actually meant for New Yorkers to read

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/944915611251101697

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lmao jesus

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
i love "here's what those despotic fascists in countries we hate do: *describes thing that American authorities do every day*" articles

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

i love "here's what those despotic fascists in countries we hate do: *describes thing that American authorities do every day*" articles

a couple years ago reuters had a very negative article about how russia was considering banning gay men from donating blood and i lost it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

a couple years ago reuters had a very negative article about how russia was considering banning gay men from donating blood and i lost it

lmao

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

once I was sitting in the waiting room in a doctor's office and was reading a magazine when I came to an article that talked about how Iran or some other Middle Eastern shithole was such an autocratic mess that the schools even played the national anthem in the morning and had kids stand and salute for it

I put the magazine down

I think it was Time magazine, but I've never been able to find the article again

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Main Paineframe posted:

once I was sitting in the waiting room in a doctor's office and was reading a magazine when I came to an article that talked about how Iran or some other Middle Eastern shithole was such an autocratic mess that the schools even played the national anthem in the morning and had kids stand and salute for it

lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the failing glenn greenwald

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/946037111156826112

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this guy seems kinda hysterical though

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/946037119746703363

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Yeah it's a very nice meltdown

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jose posted:

Yeah it's a very nice meltdown

So what's Greenwald's deal, anyway? Useful idiot? Contrarian douche? I mean obv. he is crazy, I just don't get what he thinks

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
god your takes are absolute garbage, the failing forums user Nebakenezzer

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

greenwald has an extraordinarily inflated ego that leads him to defend his awful takes to the death, and also blinds him to the fact that maybe being tucker carlson's go to 'liberal' guest is not a good look

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Greenwald isn't good, but he also isn't worse than your average liberal pundit (and is probably better, all things considered), so it's always a little weird to see liberals attacking him. He definitely has this urge to be contrarian, but that's still better than being the type of journalist who just recites pentagon press releases.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

So what's Greenwald's deal, anyway? Useful idiot? Contrarian douche? I mean obv. he is crazy, I just don't get what he thinks

he's an ex-lawyer whose brain was so broken by the foreign policy and surveillance excesses of the Bush administration that he closed his practice and started writing instead. over time, his brain has become progressively more broken

he's developed a very strong distrust of the American government and of the executive branch in particular. as a result, he is sometimes overly trusting of sources willing to say bad things about the US, suspicious to the point of paranoia about anything the US government says, and a little too responsive to conspiracy-ish talk about the US government.

a little distrust goes a long way, especially compared to most of the media, who uncritically accept anything the US government tells them without a second thought. taking it too far, though, is basically the first step on the road to being a tankie

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
tankies are good

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

GalacticAcid posted:

tankies are good

:hai:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the failing new york times does it again

https://twitter.com/eswillwalker/status/946135716068601856

as a bonus, have some talk about how those worthless unemployed millennials just need to be homeless and carless so that they can learn to really pull themselves up by their bootstraps
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/946127348746899456

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

quote:

Remember, convenience is the gateway drug to entitlement. It drains people of their empathy, because it fosters the illusion that they can proceed through life without hardship.

solid advice from teh new york times on casting your children out into the snow during theholidays

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
lets cast the editorial board out

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

got any sevens posted:

lets cast the editorial board out

They already were :xd:

E: Actually i think it was some other department, the fact-checking and copy editing room. Either way, they are trash.
E2: literally the first post itt

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Dec 28, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

got any sevens posted:

lets cast the editorial board out into a GULAG prison camp.

Fixed.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've been reading upton sinclair's "the brass check" about corruption in the press.

quote:

Some years ago an old man committed suicide because his few shares of express-stock lost their value. The "New York Times" was opposing parcel-post, because the big express-companies were a prominent part of the city's political and financial machine; the "New York Times" presented this item of news as a suicide caused by the parcel-post!
the new york times has been failing for over 100 years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GoluboiOgon posted:

the new york times has been failing for over 100 years.

I don't know when or how we all collectively decided that the media was somehow not awful before, that we have to prove it again now that they've been engaging in yellow journalism since forever.

Was it because Trump insulted the NYT that people decided they wanted to rally around it?

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 06:49 on Dec 28, 2017

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know when or how we all collectively decided that the media was somehow not awful before that we have to prove it again that they're been engaging in yellow journalism since forever.

Personally, I felt like the Times was a decent newspaper for a while because I was comparing their coverage of the lead up of the Iraq war to that in the Tulsa World, which was even worse than the Times. It's easy to gloss over the bad stuff when you are used to much worse coverage.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Main Paineframe posted:

the failing new york times does it again

https://twitter.com/eswillwalker/status/946135716068601856

as a bonus, have some talk about how those worthless unemployed millennials just need to be homeless and carless so that they can learn to really pull themselves up by their bootstraps
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/946127348746899456

Well mistakes such as getting fired and failing out of college are pretty much timeless so you can't pin that on millenials being screwed as a generation.

Ironic how parents try to make up for 18 years of lovely parenting by suddenly forcing a reality-check on their kids because an online columnist told them to.

The true mistake here though was allowing Cheryl Strayed anywhere near the failing new york times. Not a good look.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Can't wait til all these parents are whining that their kids have abandoned them in their old age

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

GoluboiOgon posted:

Personally, I felt like the Times was a decent newspaper for a while because I was comparing their coverage of the lead up of the Iraq war to that in the Tulsa World, which was even worse than the Times. It's easy to gloss over the bad stuff when you are used to much worse coverage.
the NYT was sounding the trumpets of war and was very pro-Iraq War leading up to the invasion

they had front-page above the fold headlines pushing for the Iraq War

it doesn't matter that they had more ~decorum~ when pushing conservative state mouthpieces uncritically

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the NYT has never been good when it comes to foreign policy

if you want to disabuse yourself of the notion that the NYT has ever been good, look at any references to them from Chomsky or William Blum. a good Blum book for this is Killing Hope

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know when or how we all collectively decided that the media was somehow not awful before, that we have to prove it again now that they've been engaging in yellow journalism since forever.

Was it because Trump insulted the NYT that people decided they wanted to rally around it?

the media has been actively cultivating an image of neutrality and reliability for a couple decades now - portraying themselves as mere observers and pretending they don't have opinions

i think Watergate spooked everyone. being seen as being instrumental in the fall of a president (regardless of how valid that perception actually was) spooked the media and drastically changed their relationship with politicians

add in the rise of meteoric rise of media megacorporations around that time and a bunch of billionaires looking to control politics more directly, and you've got a recipe for disaster

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

an actual dog posted:

hi-ho, a derry-o

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

an actual dog posted:

hi-ho, a derry-o

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i read the communist monthly newspapers, every news still has an opinion so i might as well read the correct one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

gradenko_2000 posted:

As an old, I can answer this

When I was in High School, I saw the Manufacturing Consent movie and had my little mind blown. It seemed like thinking from Mars, and when you talked about media criticism with other people, it felt like thinking from Mars. Despite the 80s and 90s seeing huge media consolidation (and least we forget, budgets for newspapers slashed by management groups seeking profits in the short term.) (Actually, now that we're talking about it, Bill Watterson predicted the decline and downfall of newspapers with total fidelity during that time.) CNN was the most respected name in news. There was no criticism of the voice of the monolith outside of academics and their scruffy, confused students.

And yet, the ideas in Manufacturing Consent slowly became the norm for basically everyone not actually inside the media machine, both liberal and conservative. The Cons, of course, used the ideas of a media elite controlling the conversation to sell people on conservative voices controlling the population (and rolling white anger into supporting richers over their own class.) Another factor here, without a doubt, was the runup to the Iraq war. I mean, all the lies are old now, but it's not like even university educated me couldn't see that from online sources, the runup to war was lies. I remember talking with a friend about this at the time, and we thought that after a very long time, occupation forces would find *something* - a disused bunker filled with mustard gas shells - but that if no WMDs were found, Bush would resign or be driven from office. (I'd describe myself as very cynical back then, but clearly I had some naivete to loose.)

The Iraq war saw lots of people - my friends, basically anybody who didn't believe the monolith - start seeking alternate sources online, sometimes new media, sometimes foerign news sites like the BBC. This was after, of course, the dot-com bubble burst, which considering the media had more or less just repeated hype endlessly, was another blow to the monolith's credibility. So, lots and lots of people were much more open to media criticism ideas then they were in the late 90s. I say the run of the Daily Show with John Stewart opened people to the idea of how poo poo the MSM was, as well. The running joke about a half-hour comedy central program before the puppets that swear show being somehow the best newscast in North America really underlined to people the sheer emptyness of the modern media. I've no idea how popular he was, but a show like TV Wipe with Charlie Brooker was in a similar vein. While it was funny as hell, it was also sneakly educational, since the comedy often came out of media literacy.

And, ah, since the mid 2000s, you have the elite making GBS threads its own pants time and time again, which as already stated has eroded respect for the MSM, their voice. So, positive note: by the time Obama was re-elected, the ideas of media criticism and the wealth of alternate sources the internet has created over the years has really done a good job highlighting the bullshit of the traditional MSM.