Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just had a cutscene with an elozen dressed as the pope before an army with Lahabrea and Elidibus there.

Ominous, but it kinda comes out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TFRazorsaw posted:

I just had a cutscene with an elozen dressed as the pope before an army with Lahabrea and Elidibus there.

Ominous, but it kinda comes out of nowhere.

That is pope thordan and he's the head of the church of ishgard and effectively the ruler as well. You'll see lots of him in heavensward.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Even Ascians go to mass.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he's not a good guy.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I wonder how many genuinely good religious figures in video games there are? Less than a dozen? Less than a half dozen?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he's not a good guy.

Oh so you got the ominous Catholic elves cutscene. That means you just started patch 2.4 where they begin ramping up the story towards Heavensward and things start getting more interesting. You're also well over halfway to actually getting to Heavensward, so grats on that.

Saint Freak posted:

I wonder how many genuinely good religious figures in video games there are? Less than a dozen? Less than a half dozen?

I think it happens less often in western RPGs, but in JRPGs religious leaders that are actually evil has definitely been a major recurring theme for as long as there have been JRPGs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think the difference there is that the majority of japanese people are non-religious or flat out atheist and extremely skeptical of foreign religions. they don't have the "christian nation" backbone that a place like the usa has, so they have a much more cynical view of religion. Historically speaking as well they're correct to have that cynicism and skepticism.

OTOH I can't say god damnit in most parts of the USA without someone getting offended or upset about it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thundarr posted:

Oh so you got the ominous Catholic elves cutscene. That means you just started patch 2.4 where they begin ramping up the story towards Heavensward and things start getting more interesting. You're also well over halfway to actually getting to Heavensward, so grats on that.

I think it happens less often in western RPGs, but in JRPGs religious leaders that are actually evil has definitely been a major recurring theme for as long as there have been JRPGs.

How many Final Fantasies do you kill God in again?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Saint Freak posted:

The church in Dragon Quest has never been evil, I think, so that's at least one example

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
rondo of swords is a jrpg with a heroic pope figure, though she's also an anime girl in that game so

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I would take some literature on joining the heroic anime girl pope religion.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Do we count MMOs in this? The main church in Ragnarok Online is basically fantasy catholicism but without the assholes. Everyone is chill about 'em.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

How many Final Fantasies do you kill God in again?

"In the new world, we won't need God!" - Lightning, Lightning Returns

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
"unlocking" flying is dumb

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Aymeric seems like a good guy at least.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

MechaX posted:

The church in Dragon Quest has never been evil, I think, so that's at least one example

They've definitely had God be evil in Dragon Quest though, even if the church itself was fine and upstanding.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Kevin Graham :colbert:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Do we count MMOs in this? The main church in Ragnarok Online is basically fantasy catholicism but without the assholes. Everyone is chill about 'em.

It's a weirdly sexy church, though. The Church of Thirst.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

JRPGs in general are fairly libertarian in their leanings. Even in cases where the institutional power structure isn't wholly distrustful and malevolent, it's usually up to a band of outsiders acting in an individual capacity to stop the villain. Organized religion - and especially a pseudo-Christian religion - is an easy target for this, both since modern Japan isn't a highly religious nation to begin with (with fewer than 40% of the population declaring an organized religion) and because the trappings and structure of Roman Catholicism are about as foreign as you can get. It lends the whole business an air of arcane mystery. To Western eyes used to seeing crosses and pope hats, it looks like the Japanese have a serious grudge against Catholicism, but it's more a consequence of its symbolic use in storytelling, sort of like how voodoo's gained a devilishly bad rap in Western storytelling.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 27, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kashuno posted:

The only time I liked it was in Azys Lla. Every other instance of unlocking flight made me die a little more inside.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The only Aether Current that can eat poo poo is the one by the frozen dragon in Coerthas. I think they ended up moving it, but on release, the only way I could figure out to get up was by doing this insanely precise jump against a small piece of terrain.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Nah. I like having to explore each new expansion area before the game goes "okay, *now* you can zip around wherever you want." And honestly, excluding the Lochs, I don't recall any of SB's aether currents being too far off the beaten path.

I am glad they put in an NPC ferry in the Ruby Sea, though. It was a pain in the rear end to go back to the southern part of the area after making your way north to Onokoro. You had to return to Kugane, zone in, then swim west.

But man, unlocking flying for HW zones at launch was worse, since a) there were no blue quest icons, and b) the aether current rewards were buried within sidequest chains, instead of just eventually becoming available as you progressed through the MSQ.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

There's about $500 worth of bad decisions in this picture.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Astroniomix posted:

There's about $500 worth of bad decisions in this picture.

Where's the bad decision?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Where's the bad decision?

Letting me drive the train.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Astroniomix posted:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Astroniomix posted:

The one idiot in the game who bought the yellow one

(yeah I know you have both shut up)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

$24 mount with generic music and scaling issues. S-E :thunk:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

:capitalism:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Vermain posted:

The only Aether Current that can eat poo poo is the one by the frozen dragon in Coerthas. I think they ended up moving it, but on release, the only way I could figure out to get up was by doing this insanely precise jump against a small piece of terrain.

I would like to nominate the one in The Lochs where you have to do a big lap around the map. It's over near where Ixion can spawn. gently caress that one.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

Aymeric seems like a good guy at least.

Aymeric is elf voted most likely husbando. Dang good looking fella.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think the difference there is that the majority of japanese people are non-religious or flat out atheist and extremely skeptical of foreign religions. they don't have the "christian nation" backbone that a place like the usa has, so they have a much more cynical view of religion. Historically speaking as well they're correct to have that cynicism and skepticism.

OTOH I can't say god damnit in most parts of the USA without someone getting offended or upset about it.
While it is at least slightly apocryphal, the pre-modern Japanese government also cracked down on Christianity on the probably-correct theory that it was being promulgated in part to provide Europeans with a fifth column of local supporters.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SonicRulez posted:

I would like to nominate the one in The Lochs where you have to do a big lap around the map. It's over near where Ixion can spawn. gently caress that one.

The one on the tiny bridge? There's a quest that takes you halfway to it. Grab it then. (I didn't :negative:)

The only time I ever got annoyed grabbing Aethercurrents was back before they adjusted everything so you had to go around that freakin' hill W of Tailfeather at least 5-6 times in a row because the aethercurrent quest line took you there.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've got a friend who wants to take advantage of the free login campaign, but we're wondering if he could take advantage of the callback campaign immediately after. Or would that render it void?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've got a friend who wants to take advantage of the free login campaign, but we're wondering if he could take advantage of the callback campaign immediately after. Or would that render it void?

Pretty sure the first renders the second void -

quote:

Players to be invited to return must have a service account that has been inactive for at least 90 days (including the free play period). Those who fail to meet this requirement will not receive an e-mail even if they have been invited to return. (source)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm past the Shiva fight now. Moenbryda and Ilberd are both fun additions to the cast.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
:smith:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Shush

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Xenogears probably wins the evil faux catholic competition. The pope and archbishops molested orphans then sold them to anime nazi cannibals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Xenogears probably wins the evil faux catholic competition. The pope and archbishops molested orphans then sold them to anime nazi cannibals.
They're kind of nuanced though, since there's also a good religion.