Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Do you want Skynet beca... no, wait...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Alaska is awesome and only stupid people who aren't willing to embrace the outdoors don't like it. From June to September you'll never want to be inside. Don't just hole up in the winter. Find something to do: cross-country skiing, hockey, figure skating, ice fishing, snow mobiles, hiking, stargazing, etc.

I guess if you get deployed every summer it might suck, because June-Sep is amazing. On the other hand, if you take a 6 month Oct-Apr band, you skip winter and get to the best parts.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

mllaneza posted:

Do you want Skynet beca... no, wait...

Hail

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Satan

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Thump! posted:

my unit isn’t full of gently caress ups and is pretty okay,

:stare: things must have really changed since I left.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Not military related but

https://twitter.com/chrissyteigen/status/945827499761692672

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Probably a former-mil pilot though, so it still counts.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I think the crew aren't considering the easiest solution to this problem.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

I think the crew aren't considering the easiest solution to this problem.

Crash into a building or empty field?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw3PJftd-_E

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

enlisting after christmas for 8 years 11x option 40 whatup

one of my friends kids didn't list to me when I said "don't do it" but I at least got him to go intel so he'd have a decent job when he got out

but then he went opt 40

and then got a bct girlfriend

i have failed

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

one of my friends kids didn't list to me when I said "don't do it" but I at least got him to go intel so he'd have a decent job when he got out

but then he went opt 40

i have failed

you can lead a horse to water...

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

but then he went opt 40

i have failed

I remember a dude from my corps school class that married some chick before class was even up.

boop the snoot posted:

true

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 28, 2017

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

i tried so hard

Viva Miriya posted:

I remember a dude from my corps school class that married some chick before class was even up.

if this kid does this i will fuckin cry

bct gf's kid is about to turn 1

nooooo friends kid ruuuuuun

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

i tried so hard

What a loving idiot.

He belongs in intel.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

i tried so hard

I honestly just figure anyone fresh out of basic will gently caress the first person that'll let em and get hooked. We were dumb enough to enlist and basic ensures we come out super dumb.

Lol just lol if you wife your Corps school/(lesser) A school/AIT/whatever fling though.

LingcodKilla posted:

What a loving idiot.

He belongs in the infantry.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

wait this dude loving someone that has a kid and he scooped that?

Bruh

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

I honestly just figure anyone fresh out of basic will gently caress the first person that'll let em and get hooked. We were dumb enough to enlist and basic ensures we come out super dumb.

Lol just lol if you wife your Corps school/(lesser) A school/AIT/whatever fling though.

fair point

im just glad i was able to talk him out of infantry

"bruh, i did that and it was lame and bad. look, i'm almost 30 and working a just above entry level IT job because infantry and fuelers have like no real world prospects dont be like me"

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I wouldn't wish infantry on anyone who wasn't already broke brained/predisposed to want that poo poo. Even then I'd show them a college course catalog first.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I remember regular infantry giving the paratroopers poo poo when I was in the Reserves because we "weren't real infantry you pussies just jump out of planes you never walk anywhere". Said without a hint of self-awareness or realisation.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Memento posted:

I remember regular infantry giving the paratroopers poo poo when I was in the Reserves because we "weren't real infantry you pussies just jump out of planes you never walk anywhere". Said without a hint of self-awareness or realisation.

Pesticide!?!?!?!?!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Viva Miriya posted:

Pesticide!?!?!?!?!

The absolute loving irony of a weekend warrior telling literally anyone they "weren't real" (anything) was very much lost on these people

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
One thing scouts have over infantry, in the stryker world anyway, is only putting 6 dudes in a stryker instead of loving 11. Where the gently caress do they fit everything? It can be crowded with 6 when you have javelins, 240's, a bunch of optics, radios, personal weapons, assault packs, rucks, whatever. And we still have tons of poo poo strapped on top and on the sides.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Memento posted:

The absolute loving irony of a weekend warrior telling literally anyone they "weren't real" (anything) was very much lost on these people

They signed up for the reserves. They weren't about poo poo anyway. Lmao if they think they could pass judgement on a dishwasher.

E: also pesticide lets me know like everyday how poo poo the Army and specifically the 82nd is. Mainly because I ask. Those reservists would be broken before the first year was up. gently caress em.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Reserves is like boy scouts with pay.

That said I love boy scouts and being payed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LingcodKilla posted:

The Reserves is like boy scouts with pay.

That said I love boy scouts and being payed.

This is exactly 100% why I joined the reserves

The ad campaign was like "one weekend a month, two weeks a year, tax-free pay" and that was the god damned pure truth.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
*gets mobilized*

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Woof Blitzer posted:

*gets mobilized*

I volunteered to mob recently but nobody will call me back lol

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Memento posted:

This is exactly 100% why I joined the reserves

The ad campaign was like "one weekend a month, two weeks a year, tax-free pay" and that was the god damned pure truth.

You say that but I had about 3 years worth of actually wearing the uniform in 6 years as a reservist, plus that's not counting other time wasted in a non-duty status doing online training or stuff for subordinates between drill weekends. Depending on the branch/unit 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year is the absolute bare minimum.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 28, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Woof Blitzer posted:

*gets mobilized*

They offered us contracts in mid-2003 to go straight to the Royal Australian Regiment and go somewhere sandy. I had just reached time in my current contract, and decided to tap out.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Horror movie-esque;

Like “oh my god he’s not on the manifest where did he come from???”

OR

Romantic Comedy; “the woman he loves is back in NYC getting married in less than 5 hours, we have to turn around, they belong together!!!”

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

You say that but I had about 3 years worth of actually wearing the uniform in 6 years as a reservist, plus that's not counting other time wasted in a non-duty status doing online training or stuff for subordinates between drill weekends. Depending on the branch/unit 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year is the absolute bare minimum.
You don't need to actually do any AFT to have a good year.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Well, I'd rather have an extra person than be missing somebody....

As a scout PL you're pretty much always a convoy commander between JBLM and Yakima. We were in Snoqualmie pass and my stryker was roughly in the middle of the convoy and I can see the lead vehicle and the tail vehicle, but when I counted them we were one vehicle short. I was starting to think I was super hosed, I lost a god drat stryker somehow. Turns out that one of the mortards took the express lane for some loving reason which kind of goes off and away from the main I90 route before linking back up with the rest of I90. Crisis averted.

I had already been mildly had my dick slapped by another units S3 via text when I decided to have my 12 vehicle convoy pass a 30+ support vehicle convoy.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mustang posted:

I had already been mildly had my dick slapped by another units S3 via text when I decided to have my 12 vehicle convoy pass a 30+ support vehicle convoy.

I've never been more proud of you

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
God I'm almost glad my sex drive took a poo poo during basic and AIT couple of hookups.

I don't even understand how some of the dude's I went to school with could even function. They literally could not act sapient when their dicks got hard.

Also: I don't know how the reserves work but National guard units are mobing nonstop. I know there's a reserve unit around me but it's kinda crazy how much even unrelated guard units know about each other, but we don't know poo poo about our nearby reserve units.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 28, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Memento posted:

This. I had a goddamn reservist E-7 come into our small shop when we deployed. Dude worked at loving Lowe’s. How the gently caress am I supposed to take you seriously.

No one did. He would laugh smiling but closed jaw. Clicking it sometimes. It was weird.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Soulex posted:

This. I had a goddamn reservist E-7 come into our small shop when we deployed. Dude worked at loving Lowe’s. How the gently caress am I supposed to take you seriously.

Yeah the influential people all work at Home Depot

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
I know it was a few pages back, but holy poo poo on that pervert camera guy.

Question 1)

You are one of several witnesses to a particular type of crime you have, no doubt, attended multiple mandatory breifings on, do you:

[ ]Follow the loving explicit guidelines for reporting said crime, while hoping that you get in quick enough to not have a foot jammed up your arse?

[X] Ask reddit?

I swear there is a particular kind of military dumb they screen for in testing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

oh no a major in a different BN is mad at me :rolleyes::fh: i'd tell him to go gently caress himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah, sure you would. All the majors in a BDE know each other, I'm sure it would have gone over well for me if I told him to go gently caress himself.