Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

You'd think after the rest of the bystanders start referring to the dude you're fronting up to fight as "Champ" you might think about it for a second.

"Don't square off with someone named Champ" is right up there with "don't play poker against a guy named after a city."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Das Boo posted:

Took me way too literal there, friend.

And he is right in that they didn't invent Santa Claus, but its supposed to go " They invented the modern perception of Santa Claus"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Zil posted:

Earthworm Jim hasn't aged well.

Hm. You think they didn't use enough salt?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

"Don't square off with someone named Champ" is right up there with "don't play poker against a guy named after a city."

My favorite variation of that is from Pratchett's Thief of Time

quote:

'Dojo! What is Rule One?’
Even the cowering challenger mumbled along to the chorus:
‘Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!’

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phanatic posted:

"Don't mouth off at a guy with cauliflower ears"

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

And now for something completely different.

Love Henry Rollins and Nick Cave. Hank looks confused at the small human in front of him, and Nick looks like, well, a cave man...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

"Don't mouth off at a guy with cauliflower ears"

I went to grade school / junior high with this guy. Even back then he was not the man with whom to gently caress.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Love Henry Rollins and Nick Cave. Hank looks confused at the small human in front of him, and Nick looks like, well, a cave man...

I think the baby is someone who is also (now) famous.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Elizabethan Error posted:

jokes are traditionally funny, friend.

I wasn't making a joke, I meant it in the sense that Christmas's established mascot has already been engineered into a corporate shill that readies children for the watchful eye of a fascist entity or whatever complaints people have against that elf thing. The Coke bit's just an easy go-to since Santa's been selling coke since like, 1930. As I said in my original post, I don't see why Santa gets a pass and the elf is abusive and awful when they're pretty much doing the same bit.

Didn't realize there was a Santa history purist thing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Johnny Aztec posted:

And he is right in that they didn't invent Santa Claus, but its supposed to go " They invented the modern perception of Santa Claus"

Most of what Santa IS came from "A visit from saint Nicolas".

Grats in believing something because you heard it one time

https://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/santa/cocacola.asp

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Does anyone have the goon edit of the cornsnake eating itself, saying "Don't tred omph mmph"? I did not save it and can't find it anywhere.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Das Boo posted:

I wasn't making a joke, I meant it in the sense that Christmas's established mascot has already been engineered into a corporate shill that readies children for the watchful eye of a fascist entity or whatever complaints people have against that elf thing. The Coke bit's just an easy go-to since Santa's been selling coke since like, 1930. As I said in my original post, I don't see why Santa gets a pass and the elf is abusive and awful when they're pretty much doing the same bit.

"whoa listen to these fuckin' HISTORY PURISTS, insisting that people be accurate when describing historical events, fuckin' weirdos"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

John Lee posted:

"whoa listen to these fuckin' HISTORY PURISTS, insisting that people be accurate when describing historical events, fuckin' weirdos"

Sorry I misspoke about the historical event that is your cola drinks, hun.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Bored posted:

Does anyone have the goon edit of the cornsnake eating itself, saying "Don't tred omph mmph"? I did not save it and can't find it anywhere.

Close enough

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

And now for something completely different.

I'm pleased that the kid is very obviously Nick Cave's, but it makes me sad because isn't that the kid that died?

Das Boo posted:

Sorry I misspoke about the historical event that is your cola drinks, hun.

This is such a weird meltdown to have dear.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

If you know a better way to reach someone's heart in order to steal it, I'd like to hear it :colbert:.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you know a better way to reach someone's heart in order to steal it, I'd like to hear it :colbert:.

Nice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Bored posted:

I got you, fam.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm pleased that the kid is very obviously Nick Cave's, but it makes me sad because isn't that the kid that died?

That's Luke, It was Arthur who died, from the sounds of it they lost their balance while tripping on LSD next to a cliff. :smith: I guess, but here's an article to go with the pic: Henry Rollins and Nick Cave - How We Met:

quote:

He loves his kid, and, man, when you saw him on stage with the Birthday Party you would never think he could be a father. The father of the Antichrist, maybe. It's really cool to see Nick be a good dad, and be wrapped up in his son. Luke could be one of his greatest masterpieces.
:unsmith:

That reminds me, what's the difference between a toddler and a bag of cocaine?

Eric Clapton would never let a bag of coke fall out of a window.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a video of me immediately after Christmas lunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evRGIOj7nko

Edit: appropriately Australian version

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:01 on Dec 28, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a video of me immediately after Christmas lunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evRGIOj7nko

hell, same

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: appropriately Australian version

do what you must

I have already won

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

You'll never see it COM-IIINNGG

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Sausages posted:

That's Luke, It was Arthur who died, from the sounds of it they lost their balance while tripping on LSD next to a cliff. :smith: I guess, but here's an article to go with the pic: Henry Rollins and Nick Cave - How We Met:
:unsmith:

Henry Rollins posted:

Nick has gone to a few areas that I'll never go to, but to me that's not a reason for liking or not liking somebody.

One of those places? A 10 day heroin binge wearing a leather tuxedo in 90 degree weather and constantly squaring his fingers like he was constantly lining up a shot. Oh and never taking off his tuxedo until Henry has to hold him down and strip it off him.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well by going through the esophagus instead of the intestines, for starters.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

null_pointer posted:

I got you, fam.

Thank you so much!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kali-ma, obviously.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Who What Now posted:

Well by going through the esophagus instead of the intestines, for starters.

This is quite the the argument you two are having. Perhaps you can meet in the middle?

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I've got a little collection of Gadsen flag edits, so that if I ever find myself in a multiplayer civilization strategy game I can have a rotating pool of flags appropriate for an upstart rebellious colony.

and the one that would be my final choice:

yeah I'd march under that banner

unrelated: "Brian_Blessed_Leaves_Phillip_Stunned_After_Revealing_The_Size_Of_A_Gorillas_Penis_This_Morning_capture_36m.36s.jpg"

the man has some stories to tell

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

:angel:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Das Boo posted:

the idea of Santa/Father Christmas/Kringle evolved from the traditions surrounding Odin and Yuletide. it's far older than the measly 100-odd years Coke has been around

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

One of those places? A 10 day heroin binge wearing a leather tuxedo in 90 degree weather and constantly squaring his fingers like he was constantly lining up a shot. Oh and never taking off his tuxedo until Henry has to hold him down and strip it off him.

Only Nick Cave could survive being Nick Cave

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
https://twitter.com/ProducerLeo/status/946404145258475520

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Santa has been re-interpreted for centuries by numerous outlets, etc etc.

Rudolph, however, was specially created by a department store to be "a new christmas tradition" and to sell merchandise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ferrule posted:

Santa has been re-interpreted for centuries by numerous outlets, etc etc.

Rudolph, however, was specially created by a department store to be "a new christmas tradition" and to sell merchandise.

Claymation Rudolph owns.