Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

He's full of poo poo. He's just saying this to scare the Chinese in helping us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, criticizing the editor who largely seems on point and scathing for some typos/grammatical mistakes seems like missing the forest from the trees.

It was just a minor thing I noticed since it's on the very first page of the book. The more obviously hilarious stuff like entire chapters being crossed out has been posted elsewhere.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pakled posted:

lol that the publishers of Milo's book thought he was a serious intellectual conservative and not a sub-Ann-Coulter level troll

probaly out of blind hope/desperation. there arnt many serious intellectual conservatives left. its mostly confidence men and trolls and loons.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Despera posted:

At some point it must have dawned on the editor that Milo therefore no one was going to read his or hers notes.

I hope the editor took some sort of diary of what he was doing.

Was he onboard from the start, or just an editor by trade? What was it like reading the book for the first time? How about after 1 week of slogging through this? There's a story just in that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Willo567 posted:

He's full of poo poo. He's just saying this to scare the Chinese in helping us

well yeah. Xi Jinping played him like a fiddle and now its slowly starting to dawn on trump.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It was just a minor thing I noticed since it's on the very first page of the book. The more obviously hilarious stuff like entire chapters being crossed out has been posted elsewhere.

That kind of thing would not even be on the radar of an editor at this stage of editing. She or he might make a few choice edits as they notice them but when you're cutting out entire chunks because the content is atrocious, it's a waste of your time. Assuming the author is operating in good faith (lol) they might send you back a new draft with entirely new chunks of text, which would necessitate doing the nit-picky grammatical thing all over again.

EDIT: Also at a major publishing house like S&S, you're going to make your intern do that kind of brute force poo poo.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probaly out of blind hope/desperation. there arnt many serious intellectual conservatives left. its mostly confidence men and trolls and loons.

The main guy that's remembered as a "right wing intellectual" nowadays is William F Buckley and he was a pretentious racist rear end who once called his debate opponent a queer and threatened to attack him. Not only that he was a staunch defender of apartheid and African colonialism, after the apartheid and colonial governments courted him.

Gotta face the music man, in 40 years the likes of Bannon will be remembered as the brilliant intellectual giants of the conservative movement.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I like to imagine the poor editor chain smoking and drinking black coffee directly out of the pot for like forty hours straight in order to get it over with. Spelling/grammar mistakes are entirely forgivable under those circumstances.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope Clinton's out and active during the 2018 election so that the GOP keeps attacking her while Dem candidates get to focus on actual issues and stomp the poo poo out of the GOP nationwide to retake one or both chambers of Congress

if she did that would be amazing. the hero we need. not the hero we deserve. im bat-hillclint-man

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mendrian posted:

That kind of thing would not even be on the radar of an editor at this stage of editing. She or he might make a few choice edits as they notice them but when you're cutting out entire chunks because the content is atrocious, it's a waste of your time. Assuming the author is operating in good faith (lol) they might send you back a new draft with entirely new chunks of text, which would necessitate doing the nit-picky grammatical thing all over again.

EDIT: Also at a major publishing house like S&S, you're going to make your intern do that kind of brute force poo poo.

Talking about the editor's own comments being ungrammatical, not Milo's.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Talking about the editor's own comments being ungrammatical, not Milo's.

I realize that. I'm saying that the editor is probably not even looking at what he's typing. There's no point.

Contrary to popular belief being an editor doesn't mean all your writing automatically comes out clean.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

So was his editor also a white supremacist he worked with or was he or she just an unlucky sap assigned by S&S to work on that mess?

It looks like it's Mitchell Ivers who appears to be left wing: http://www.thresholdeditions.com/ (about halfway down) but takes an almost "I agree with your point but make it better" tone in most of the notes.

Honestly the whole thing is the editor beging, BEGGING Milo to be a professional author

In between being so exasperated you can taste it coming off the page

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Riptor posted:

I know that the very existence of Hillary Clinton is triggering to many but why is "she should stay outta politics!" even a talking point right now? What has she even been doing other than her book?

I can't think of her getting involved in any big elections recently or making any sort of big statements. People don't seem to be telling John Kerry to shut his mouth... wonder if there's some sort of significant difference between the two of them!
He kind of was on a lot of people's poo poo list for a while after 2004 actually, on account of that election was widely thought to be quite winnable for the Democrat, and that he knocked out many older Millennials' first crush, Howard "YEAHRG" Dean. The main differences are that he won the primary fair and square, and that while losing to GWB is sorta embarrassing, it's not as embarrassing as losing to DJT.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Crows Turn Off posted:

Since Hillary is hated so much by Republican voters, she should publicly endorse Republican candidates with state-wide commercials and say things like, "Sam will lead Mississippi exactly like I would, so he's got my support!"

jeezus this would work. shave a percent or two off a republicans voter base as they run around like chickens with heads cut off.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

But enough about videogames!
:stat: :wal:

The editor's notes are incredible, you can tell he's loving flabbergasted at what he's been forced to read.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its a joke making fun of the fact that the alt right are morons who do weird projectionist poo poo.

The punchline to the joke is homophobia and racism so no.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Kilroy posted:

The main differences are that he won the primary fair and square

lol

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/alanblinder/status/946450186859175936

Dismissed with prejudice

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

:byewhore:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I downloaded the pdf edition with editor's notes on my kindle and I think I'm going to die laughing. This idiot has no grasp of argument or rhetoric at all and goes into long streams of consciousness about how amazing he is. It's like a freshman term paper, complete with the teacher crossing out whole sections and Milo just putting in huge quotes to hit a page limit.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Y'all should see the way TD jerks off to how intelligent Milo is. It's truly a thing to behold.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Y'all should see the way TD jerks off to how intelligent Milo is. It's truly a thing to behold.

He's their token gay friend

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guys? Cool if I use you as a publisher to spread gay panic rumors about a public figure? Cool right? Cool."

"Only talk to your own audience" is the Rightwing mantra. Who did the editor think the book was for??

The ditor actually wrote the word "Um..."! Haha holy poo poo how much more do I have to go...194 more pages??? Fuuuuuuuck that!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

Well, valley of the blind, and all that.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Lote posted:

What is he even trying to say? I can’t tell who he’s attacking or supporting.

I just kind of read the guys tweets in Rob Schneider Daderpdaderpityderp form in my brain at this point. They all follow the same basic populist rhetoric formula to rile up his gently caress stupid base of Infowars and Fox News watchers. Some person and nickname insult about them->how in his mind they're failing and the worst ever and he and "the deplorables" are the greatest and how he's going to put it all right soon somehow with capitalized power words he wants his gently caress stupid base to take extra note of. It's fascist dictator style political theater in twitter format for the modern era.

The obvious downside of this is that it just looks like rambling bullshit to the other 70 or so percent of the United States and like probably at least 95% of the total human population that aren't part of his cult of personality.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

:lol: lata bitch

enraged_camel posted:

I should not have checked. It's pretty terrible.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Zanzibar Ham posted:

When she ironi-commended the Reagans for their efforts to fight HIV it just got put on the leftist 'why Hillary sucks' list.
She made a comment at the funeral that was so dumb and completely wrong that the press had to spend a week delving into how dumb and wrong it was. Saying that was her plan all along is literally the puppet master defense. It's weak bullshit.
I mean he wasn't basically paying the DNC's bills, as far as I know.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Remember when Milo asked Obama's press secretary to force to Twitter to return his checkmark.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Kilroy posted:

I mean he wasn't basically paying the DNC's bills, as far as I know.

That how she won by 3 million votes? Speaking of weak bullshit

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

Remember when Milo asked Obama's press secretary to force to Twitter to return his checkmark.

Didn't bird site update its TOS to make stuff like the fake blue diamonds he and Assange use violations?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Despera posted:

That how she won by 3 million votes? Speaking of weak bullshit
Thing is, she probably would have squeaked out a win against Bernie even without the underhanded tactics. But why win cleanly with 90% probability when you can break and bend the rules to win with 99% probability?

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

SurgicalOntologist posted:

This is not at all how catching works neurally. There is no estimation involved. Even insects have the neural circuitry for interception, so it's doubtful the explanation for this mistake has anything to do with brain development.

the throw was from very close proximity and the dog probably initially was tracking the hand rather than taco

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kilroy posted:

Thing is, she probably would have squeaked out a win against Bernie even without the underhanded tactics. But why win cleanly with 90% probability when you can break and bend the rules to win with 99% probability?

What underhanded tactics were there, though? Like yeah I know the DNC wanted her to win all along and there were some bigtime financial ties, but I've never seen any indication that the votes were rigged or they bent the rules to discourage Bernie supporters from voting or anything like that.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

dbukalski posted:

the throw was from very close proximity and the dog probably initially was tracking the hand rather than taco

Could it not be... that the dog just made some tiny mistake and didn't catch what it wanted to? Why are we trying to neuroanalyze taco catch dog

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

This is not a good book.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Trump is getting a medical exam by a real non fake doctor: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-to-undergo-physical-on-jan-12/article/2644513

Any hope for this being funny?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Pakled posted:

What underhanded tactics were there, though? Like yeah I know the DNC wanted her to win all along and there were some bigtime financial ties, but I've never seen any indication that the votes were rigged or they bent the rules to discourage Bernie supporters from voting or anything like that.
I'm not going to go any further down the rabbit hole of primary chat, which I'm pretty sure breaks the rules of this thread anyway, so I'll just say I don't think there was any actual vote rigging (or suppression) and leave it at that.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

TulliusCicero posted:

This is the rising "intellectual" star of the alt-right.
More like "was." His career has been toast ever since his pedo apologism was discovered, and everything since then (the Buzzfeed exposé, the dredged up neo-Nazi poo poo, this lawsuit) have been just icing on the cake.

It was never about the intellectualism anyway, it was about the shamelessness, the comedy factor of being a minstrel-like gay stereotype, and being at the right place at the right time with GamerGate.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Kilroy posted:

That's some Milo level argumentation there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
The whole manuscript has been posted here:
https://www.scribd.com/document/368036918/EXHIBIT-B

osker fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 28, 2017

• Locked thread