Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I watched all of DS9, most of TNG, and ~30 episodes of Voyager in the last few months. Worth it to watch Enterprise? Should I just move on to a new series/franchise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tokelau All Star posted:

I watched all of DS9, most of TNG, and ~30 episodes of Voyager in the last few months. Worth it to watch Enterprise? Should I just move on to a new series/franchise?

On balance, it's at least as good as Voyager, so use that to judge.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Tokelau All Star posted:

I would say that it's worth it.

ST:ENT rightfully gets a lot of flack, but as a prequel, it actually does fairly well. For one thing, the uniforms are my favorite in the series--they fit the setting more than any other incarnation of Trek, so off the bat, you have people dressing the part. And the ship's interiors really make you feel like you're on a quasi-military early interstellar space vessel. Form over function. Considering when the show was made, they did a pretty good job of creating technology that was somewhere between the 1990s but well before the original Star Trek series.

Also, while they do a lot of really goofy and contradictory crap in the first couple of seasons, it's not all bad, and by the time the Xindi arc starts, it starts to get really good. The last couple of seasons are enjoyable. There are plenty of great stories in there, especially the last two seasons. There are some stinkers, too, but nothing quite as bad as Shades of Gray,.

Also, if you're into broadcast-TV-safe sexiness and teasing, early in the show, they find a couple of excuses to get T'Pol and her logically sexually attractive curves into a blue-lit decontamination chamber where the only cure is rubbing goo all over her nearly naked body. So, as the movie Tape Heads might say, the series has some "production value" as well. (The 13-year-old male producer who insisted on this aspect of her character must have been fired somewhere around the middle of the show's run, though, because it becomes less of an issue as the show goes on.)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Tokelau All Star posted:

If you're jonesing for more of the same, I say jump right in. If you liked what you saw of Voyager but you're not chomping at the bit for more, I say take a break to cleanse the palette then watch Enterprise. They re-fry a few Voyager elements and re-hash some familiar stories in Enterprise, so the whole thing feels a little tired to me coming off of the other (superior) series. But it's kind of okay in a vacuum if you don't expect too much from it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tarlibone posted:

Also, while they do a lot of really goofy and contradictory crap in the first couple of seasons, it's not all bad, and by the time the Xindi arc starts, it starts to get really good. The last couple of seasons are enjoyable. There are plenty of great stories in there, especially the last two seasons. There are some stinkers, too, but nothing quite as bad as Shades of Gray,.

The fourth season doesn't hold up nearly as well as people remember. It gets certain things right, absolutely, but Coto got waaaaaay too far up his rear end with continuity wank. There are some good episodes in there and the Terra Prime series finale is excellent but there's a lot of chaff with only occasional wheat in that season. And given Coto's terrible ideas for season 5, along with Drexler's hideous NX refit, I'm glad it died when it did.

Enterprise is basically Star Trek: Missed Opportunities. Especially in the first two seasons, here they were with a golden opportunity to really show us what it was like to go where no one had gone before, and instead we got a lot of half-baked Voyager leftovers. Granted, part of that is because a burned-out Brannon Braga was running the show when he really didn't even want to, but ... yeesh.

quote:

Also, if you're into broadcast-TV-safe sexiness and teasing, early in the show, they find a couple of excuses to get T'Pol and her logically sexually attractive curves into a blue-lit decontamination chamber where the only cure is rubbing goo all over her nearly naked body.

God. You cast a Star Trek turbonerd, and you reduce her character to "Vulcan sex kitten."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Enterprise is basically Star Trek: Missed Opportunities. Especially in the first two seasons, here they were with a golden opportunity to really show us what it was like to go where no one had gone before, and instead we got a lot of half-baked Voyager leftovers. Granted, part of that is because a burned-out Brannon Braga was running the show when he really didn't even want to, but ... yeesh.

There's a hideous irony in Star Trek Missed Opportunities consisting partly of half-baked leftovers from the other Star Trek Missed Opportunities show.

quote:

God. You cast a Star Trek turbonerd, and you reduce her character to "Vulcan sex kitten."

I've said this before, but I can't decide which motivation is more depressing/disgusting: Brannon Braga and/or Rick Berman sitting in an office giggling about how they're gonna get a chick with even bigger tits than Jeri Ryan, or a Paramount suit droning through a PowerPoint presentation showing Marketing's unit sales projections based on gratuitous fanservice.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I didn't do it. They did it. I liked her character, especially the initially slightly distrustful dynamic she had with Starfleet and humans in general, and vice-versa. I like that she didn't wear the standard uniform, because it really made it clear that while she was on the ship and performing duties and manning a post, she didn't consider herself--and the crew didn't consider her--truly a part of Starfleet, and thus the crew. That had to be earned. It helped remind seasoned Trek fans that there was a time when Humans and Vulcans had a less than perfect relationship, which is understandable given the different places both cultures were in: one has been hopscotching around the galaxy for a long time, and the other just learned how to reach other stars in less than a year.

The producers are the ones who sexed her up, from skin-tight uniforms to the aforementioned decontamination sequences. I'm just mentioning it. It wasn't necessary, and they eventually stopped doing it. If you're suggesting that they didn't try to play on her sex appeal early on, then... well, I disagree.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tarlibone posted:

I didn't do it. They did it. I liked her character, especially the initially slightly distrustful dynamic she had with Starfleet and humans in general, and vice-versa. I like that she didn't wear the standard uniform, because it really made it clear that while she was on the ship and performing duties and manning a post, she didn't consider herself--and the crew didn't consider her--truly a part of Starfleet, and thus the crew. That had to be earned. It helped remind seasoned Trek fans that there was a time when Humans and Vulcans had a less than perfect relationship, which is understandable given the different places both cultures were in: one has been hopscotching around the galaxy for a long time, and the other just learned how to reach other stars in less than a year.

The producers are the ones who sexed her up, from skin-tight uniforms to the aforementioned decontamination sequences. I'm just mentioning it. It wasn't necessary, and they eventually stopped doing it. If you're suggesting that they didn't try to play on her sex appeal early on, then... well, I disagree.

"You" as in a general "you." Like, "God, what the gently caress were you thinking with Threshold?"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

"You" as in a general "you." Like, "God, what the gently caress were you thinking with Threshold?"

Oh, OK. Sorry.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There's a hideous irony in Star Trek Missed Opportunities consisting partly of half-baked leftovers from the other Star Trek Missed Opportunities show.

Q's "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed ... it's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the timid" monologue would have been wonderful for Archer to hear, as opposed to Picard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Enterprise wishes it had a character that chewed scenery like Q did.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Enterprise wishes it had a character that chewed scenery like Q did.

Shran came pretty close. Jeffrey Combs does the best he can with every last second of screentime he gets with every single character he plays.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
The fact Jeffery Combs never got the captain's chair is among Star Trek's greatest crimes.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The NX refit looks better than the ship in the show, that is all

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

The NX refit looks better than the ship in the show, that is all

lol no

Drexler thinking he could branch out into ship design is hilarious.

Edit: It's the Ambassador-class engineering hull (with the Constitution deflector) attached to the NX saucer, with some weird-rear end struts and strange greebling. That's like Gabe Koerner and John Eaves had an acid dream.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 28, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Refit looks good as a bridge to NCC. I'm sad we didn't get it (and another season with SHRAN)

I just realized how much the engineering hull + deflector looks like a hand phaser.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
OK... so NX Refit has two navigational deflector arrays? The stock one on the saucer, and the C-band satellite dish on the new engineering hull?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

OK... so NX Refit has two navigational deflector arrays? The stock one on the saucer, and the C-band satellite dish on the new engineering hull?

They may have determined it needed a bigger one for going zoom with a faster engine and just use the old one for inverse tachyons and Borg flashlights

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Bloop posted:

Refit looks good as a bridge to NCC. I'm sad we didn't get it (and another season with SHRAN)

One of Season 5's stories was going to feature Alice Krige as a science officer aboard Enterprise who studied the remains of the Borg from the episode Regeneration, but some untold subsystem wound up assimilating her and show the genesis of the Borg Queen.

No, we didn't need world-building like that.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It seems like every long running show eventually stops being about interesting things happening and becomes a show about interesting things that have happened already.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Timby posted:

lol no

Drexler thinking he could branch out into ship design is hilarious.

Edit: It's the Ambassador-class engineering hull (with the Constitution deflector) attached to the NX saucer, with some weird-rear end struts and strange greebling. That's like Gabe Koerner and John Eaves had an acid dream.

I can't even tell what's going on in that image

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Ok well I didn't want season 5 to be horse poo poo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

remusclaw posted:

It seems like every long running show eventually stops being about interesting things happening and becomes a show about interesting things that have happened already.

Enterprise missed that first step.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Drexler is better than John "everything is made of knives" Eaves and the new secondary hull adds some much needed bulk to that flimsy rear end pizza cutter waif of a ship as well as covering over some of that glowing blue poo poo

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

bull3964 posted:

Enterprise missed that first step.

It makes sense if you consider TNG-VOY-ENT to be one long-running show, which is basically is.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

One of Season 5's stories was going to feature Alice Krige as a science officer aboard Enterprise who studied the remains of the Borg from the episode Regeneration, but some untold subsystem wound up assimilating her and show the genesis of the Borg Queen.

Well, that would have been better than featuring Alice Krige as a science officer who is also an incestuous energy-based vampire lady who can turn invisible and can be killed by house cats.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Ok well I didn't want season 5 to be horse poo poo

Kzinti war

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It makes sense if you consider TNG-VOY-ENT to be one long-running show, which is basically is.

I was thinking of Star Trek as a whole. Enterprise is pretty much the crossover point where it became more about filling in the blanks instead of about doing new things. There were hints of it earlier, and quality was not always consistent even when the show was still trying new things, but from Enterprise on, it's been nothing but prequels and retreads. Enterprise is Star Trek's final step into becoming a nostalgia property.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 28, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

Kzinti war

That is not horse poo poo.

Or in the cards, I'm assuming?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Bloop posted:

Nope ! They showed up in TAS, but nothing else has ever been done with them (except for the Star Fleet Battles people, which barely counts). We should get the Romulan War out of the way first anyway.

Incidentally, the Man-Kzin Wars anthologies are mostly pretty good, especially the early ones with Poul Anderson writing classic SF in Niven's universe. If you find used copies and are tempted, go for it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Season 5 would have at least been worth it for Shran becoming a full member of the crew. NX-Refit is a fun (albeit goofy) design, and that is a hill I am prepared to die on :colbert:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

remusclaw posted:

I was thinking of Star Trek as a whole. Enterprise is pretty much the crossover point where it became more about filling in the blanks instead of about doing new things. There were hints of it earlier, and quality was not always consistent even when the show was still trying new things, but from Enterprise on, it's been nothing but prequels and retreads. Enterprise is Star Trek's final step into becoming a nostalgia property.

Harsh but fair

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

remusclaw posted:

As a diehard trek fan I wish I could disagree. The only way Star Trek can get back any of its lost ground is by finally moving the timeline forward, IMO.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Timby posted:

I believe the preferred term is "Vulcan Love Slave." :wiggle:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

that flimsy rear end pizza cutter waif of a ship

:confused:

Also, Enterprise-J: Another Drexler masterwork.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

:confused:

Also, Enterprise-J: Another Drexler masterwork.

lol what in the figgety gently caress is this high school deviant art bullshit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:gowron: I never made the Ent-J to DISCO connection until you made me look at that again.

I wonder if the J has a spore drive

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Bloop posted:

They wanted to do it in s5, allegedly

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I loathe the NX refit. NX-01 was designed specifically to lack a secondary hull, probably to show how primitive it is. Adding one is stupid, that's not how real things work; that's not a refit, that's cannibalizing an extant craft to build a whole new one. Plus, changing the fundamental design of your shows ship is a terrible branding idea.

They could have set up an Enterprise/Excelsior rivalry, though, with a new Warp 6 ship which has the extra part. That could work, even if it meant the new ship was built from the bones of Columbia or some other sister to Enterprise. Get Trip all huffy about ruining the lines of the NX, Archer sulking about his daddy's engine being outclassed so soon, and eventually they come to realize it's the wave of the future. Like, have Enterprise save the new model, then they work together, then show why the new ship is better by having it save Enterprise from being totally outclassed by some random threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Riker is going to bone ensign Ro