Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
All those numbers are poo poo and you are all poo poo if you take any of them as being serious.

They will be used as convenient talking points by idiots for the next 2 months because they appear to be on reputable letter head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

In antifa/gently caress snitches news: http://www.wweek.com/news/2017/12/26/what-its-like-to-betray-antifa-to-the-cops-and-get-caught/

What the article fails to mention is that Tan's roommate was a woman named Kelly that would also show up to antifa demos but was/is dating David Fry of Patriot Prayer's motorcycle club fame, and Tan freaked at people for wanting to bar Kelly from events. Tan playing at being a spy for the cops was not a surprise to anyone.

The article also doesn't act like RCA gave a response, which it did. Kind of paints things in a different light.

Reene fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 28, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Reene posted:

In antifa/gently caress snitches news: http://www.wweek.com/news/2017/12/26/what-its-like-to-betray-antifa-to-the-cops-and-get-caught/

What the article fails to mention is that Tan's roommate was a woman named Kelly that would also show up to antifa demos but was/is dating David Fry of Patriot Prayer's motorcycle club fame, and Tan freaked at people for wanting to bar Kelly from events. Tan playing at being a spy for the cops was not a surprise to anyone.

The article also doesn't act like RCA gave a response, which it did. Kind of paints things in a different light.
It should be noted that David Fry from the nazi motorcycle club is a different David Fry than the one from the Malheur occupation.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 28, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Would you like Frys with that?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

anthonypants posted:

They've also been investing heavily in private/chartered schools, which use different metrics than public schools, so that's not necessarily a good comparison.

So you're saying schools in the PNW are not particularly good at Christian indoctrination?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

anthonypants posted:

#36 in crime what the hell

iirc liberal states usually have worse overall crime stats because they actually track sexual assault statistics instead of chalking all of them up to hysteria

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Venuz Patrol posted:

iirc liberal states usually have worse overall crime stats because they actually track sexual assault statistics instead of chalking all of them up to hysteria

Also, the biggest cities in 31 states are smaller than Portland.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Reene posted:

This reads like a parody of millennial special flower BS, but its apparently real?

quote:

An exuberant 20-year-old with short, dyed-blue hair, Tan, whose legal name is June Davies and who identifies as gender non-binary, felt a magnetic pull

It took only a day for Tan to become an informant. Tan texted Niiya—and began sharing details of Antifa's marching routes during protests. For Tan, it made sense to work with police

One of Tan's friends found four months of texts between Tan and the cops. The friend took screen shots

Why did you start talking with a police officer?

... I admired [Sgt. Niiya] because he was another person like myself who was doing a job that isn't super-common - there's not a lot of Asian cops. I admired him for it.

If you thought you were doing a good thing, why keep it a secret from your fellow activists?

I knew they had their superstitions about the cops.

I've had depression since I was a kid. I've had anxiety since I was in seventh grade. [But] I think those allegations victimize me. I'm not a victim.

What will you do now that you can't go back to the Portland protest scene?

If I ever do activism again, maybe I'll go to Berkeley.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
There's also this article from the Oregonian today, about how there's so many nazis in Eugene, Oregon. http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2017/12/post_292.html

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Eugene loving sucks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That skate park they put under the freeway is a loving Mecca though. It owns.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

That skate park they put under the freeway is a loving Mecca though. It owns.

i, too, am not comfortable going to burnside

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

i, too, am not comfortable going to burnside

That park is even rougher than Marginal Way and it took me a long time to figure out MW enough to make it fun.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

anthonypants posted:

I think it's more likely they asked Comcast and Comcast told them that >100Mbps internet was available at ~95% of residential locations. See also this article from 2015.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Congratulations, again, on the soda tax, Seattle?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm perfectly satisfied with the soda tax, as long as they would expand it to sugary drinks like Jamba Juice and Starbucks. Fair is fair.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Peachfart posted:

I'm perfectly satisfied with the soda tax, as long as they would expand it to sugary drinks like Jamba Juice and Starbucks. Fair is fair.

Seriously, it's classist bullshit otherwise and folks who are buying a vente frap can afford to pay a few more cents on the drink.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
regressive taxation is classist bullshit no matter the product, hth

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
incredibly glad and exuberant that conversation in 2018 will shift from 'should people on food stamps be allowed to buy food I don't think they should eat' to 'tell me why we should bother ensuring food for people at all'

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Do the taxes at least work or are they both regressive and ineffective?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Seems like a sin tax so probably not.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Happy Minimum Wage Increase Day, washington state! 50 cents an hour is more than what I would've gotten from my yearly performance review.

I gotta hand it to all the scummy small business owners (mostly espresso stands) who have no problem howling about the minimum causing a price increase, but stayed as silent as a sheep when it came to all those other price increases. Transparency only when it suits their interests.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

lol no but our property taxes are so artificially low there aren't many ways to generate new revenue

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cheetah7071 posted:

I guess the image in my post isn't loading for a lot of you but $2m is going towards administration and $400k is going towards produce vouchers. Here is the Seattle Times article: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/promoting-health-at-a-hefty-price-seattles-soda-tax-starts-jan-1/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Well, this isn't great. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/interior-secretarys-plan-would-open-up-washington-and-oregon-coastlines-to-drilling/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I just moved from Detroit to Seattle last year and have no experience with earthquakes but isn't this sort of idiotic?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Jackard posted:

I just moved from Detroit to Seattle last year and have no experience with earthquakes but isn't this sort of idiotic?

It's idiotic everywhere right now because of fracking. They want to secure these leases for well in the future.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

It doesn't require an earthquake to spill a billion gallons of oil into the water and ruin fisheries and our pristine coastline. But yeah, it's extra dumb in a long line of super dumb poo poo.

It's a question of when, not if. It is not backed by any policy other than rich people robbing society.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

porkface posted:

It doesn't require an earthquake to spill a billion gallons of oil into the water and ruin fisheries and our pristine coastline. But yeah, it's extra dumb in a long line of super dumb poo poo.

It's a question of when, not if. It is not backed by any policy other than rich people robbing society.
Last time I checked Washington and Oregon have already ruined their fisheries without relying upon oil contamination....

Aren't the salmon runs on the Columbia at record lows? Yet, still no morotorium on fishing.
(God forbid we go shoot some of those stupid seals and sea lions that eat tons of salmon by the dams.)

Wild salmon running low? Better go crank knob for the bred ones up to 11. Farming salmon? gently caress, we can make a crap load of cash on that....
(Oh they escaped? Well its okay....)

In other (non-Seattle/Portland) news, has there been any updates on the Hirst supreme court case? I heard on the radio that the legislature was getting funding for infrastructure projects held hostage, due to the GOP constitutency wanting a fix to Hirst.

However, I thought I had read something that one of the counties had already adapted some kind of fix.
(Something to do with paying additional taxes and connection fees on new wells or something... Maybe it was just a proposal. But the fees they were proposing sounded hefty, couple hundred dollars of tax per year and an additional one to two thousand dollar 'fee' up front.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 10, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Seattle traffic plans https://projects.seattletimes.com/2018/one-center-city/

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

So one of those projects that will screw up the entire center of the city is just to build a streetcar for temporary amazon inhabitants.

Uproot amazon and stick them in Auburn and half the problems go away for a lot less money.

- edit and they really are going to poo poo up the area even more for a loving hocky stadium.

That entire longass list is amazing in its insanely offhanded punishment of normal people that need to survive.\

- edit2
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazon/thanks-to-amazon-seattle-is-now-americas-biggest-company-town/

quote:

Thanks to Amazon, Seattle is now America’s biggest company town

Amazon so dominates Seattle that it has as much office space as the city’s next 40 biggest employers combined. And the growth continues: Amazon’s Seattle footprint of 8.1 million square feet is expected to soar to more than 12 million square feet within five years.

In 2005, Schoettler said, he told CEO Jeff Bezos that the company needed a plan, and Bezos agreed. His only condition was that Amazon would stay in downtown Seattle, Schoettler said.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 10, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seattle's minimum wage law means I can't get a mediocre sub for $5 :qq: :qq:

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/10/seattles-minimum-wage-killed-the-five

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I hope the subway by my house closes the way the Papa John's did.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I would have thought steadily rising food prices would have had more to do with it but whatever.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

therobit posted:

I would have thought steadily rising food prices would have had more to do with it but whatever.

Yeah but that's harder to use that as ammunition against the most meager concessions to the working class

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sure in a capitalist economy pretty much everything rises in price as time goes on but in this case it's because you demanded a living wage!

Maybe we could just start pulling the wealthy from their homes and lighting them on fire in the streets? I dunno just spitballin' here.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

What frustrates me is the outsized importance people place on wages as a driver of total cost. Yes, it increases marginal cost per unit but in a food establishment it is at most 30% of cost. The lease on a store in Seattle had to exceed labor cost. Increasing cost of labor will obviously eventually lead to price increases unless something else changes things to increase productivity (happens a lot) but it isn't like if wages go up by 10% then so does cost and therefore prices. And drat near everyone seems to think that is how it works.

therobit fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 10, 2018

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Seattle's minimum wage law means I can't get a mediocre sub for $5 :qq: :qq:

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/10/seattles-minimum-wage-killed-the-five

Nooooo how will they survive without the jingle?!?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Nooooo how will they survive without the jingle?!?
won't someone PLEASE think of the franchise owners!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Wait, $5 footlongs still existed? Those went away here (except for the occasional promotional deal) a few years ago.