Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Covok posted:

The intent might be just to shrink the line so that people can follow all the books comfortably. Apparently, there's even been rumors for a long time that spider-gwen Gwen will enter 616 and rebrand as the Ghost-spider. With Miles also changing his name, the theory is they will all be in one book, like how the entire bat family mostly operates in Detective Comics. Or how they're consolidating all the Avengers teams into one.

This consolidation makes a lot of sense, when you think about how successful DC's version of it as been.

And, we already heard the 'Ghost-Spider' bit during the trailer for that new animated series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel wants you to write stories for them for free

Heres a list of restrictions

https://twitter.com/JustPlainTweets/status/946512956791107590

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Marvel's current business strategy:

*gif of a dumpster burning*

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This is a dramatic change from the Quesada to end of Hickman's Marvel era. That era had them dominate.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Gatts posted:

This is a dramatic change from the Quesada to end of Hickman's Marvel era. That era had them dominate.

To be fair, this is just their new phone app.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m glad I was around for the Hickman era. God drat those were some good years of books with a loving great ending.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m glad I was around for the Hickman era. God drat those were some good years of books with a loving great ending.

His Avengers run is my favorite in all of comics. I was completely into it and awed by its scope and scale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hickman's Marvel saga was too good for this world and thus had to end.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd be so into a gimmick month where the actual comics had to adhere to those rules. What would comics without 'sensationalism' even be?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Truly I find it easy to imagine a compelling superhero story where nobody has guns, dies or is allowed to talk about anything controversial.

Edit: Using Gwenpool as the example for that is all the more hilarious when she regularly uses guns.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd be so into a gimmick month where the actual comics had to adhere to those rules. What would comics without 'sensationalism' even be?

Bad

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

The list of restrictions doesn't surprise me but Jesus H Christ actually stealing stories from fans without even compensating them anything?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Things must be pretty bad at Marvel financially.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Contraceptives, huh.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Click your link again, because apparently not?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Things must be pretty bad at Marvel financially.

By 2019 it'll be five artists and Stan adding dialogue to finished scenes again

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

HIJK posted:

The list of restrictions doesn't surprise me but Jesus H Christ actually stealing stories from fans without even compensating them anything?

The title is ludicrously sensationalist, which the article even cops to in the body. It sounds like a standard cover-their-rear end disclaimer, so if Al Ewing writes a story where Storm throws Thanos a birthday party some guy can't go, "UHH, you totally stole that idea from my custom panel!"

The list of restrictions is ludicrous, but hey, it's Disney, what did you expect.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Rochallor posted:

The title is ludicrously sensationalist, which the article even cops to in the body. It sounds like a standard cover-their-rear end disclaimer, so if Al Ewing writes a story where Storm throws Thanos a birthday party some guy can't go, "UHH, you totally stole that idea from my custom panel!"

The list of restrictions is ludicrous, but hey, it's Disney, what did you expect.

i went over the language included in the article:

“The perpetual, irrevocable, exclusive, royalty-free and fully transferable and sub-licensable right, for the full term of copyright protection available (including renewal terms), to use, [etcetcetc] make available, and otherwise exploit, in whole or in part, in all languages, anywhere in the world, by all means, [etcetcetc] in any number of copies and without limit as to time, manner or frequency of use, without further notice to you, with or without attribution, and without the requirement of permission from or payment to you or any other person or entity"

So it is a CYA but to me it looks like they're claiming ownership of the stuff someone makes just in case :shrug:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
There's "No Aliens" on the list. Like... some of this stuff exists to go "Don't write your fetish comic" like the "No farting sounds" one. And yeah that makes sense, some of this other stuff is like... Marvel what the gently caress?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wolverine fanfics without the snikt cuz it's the sound of a bodily function

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I cant wait until thousands of users are banned for using guardians of the galaxy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So has anyone filtered down what you can actually write about?

Dr. Doom taking Valeria to get ice cream? Thing and Cap going to poker night?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Iceman and America can't be used cuz they're gay

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:stare: Jesus Purlmutter what the gently caress, I knew he was essentially Dickensian Scrooge made flesh but this poo poo is beyond.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jiro posted:

:stare: Jesus Purlmutter what the gently caress, I knew he was essentially Dickensian Scrooge made flesh but this poo poo is beyond.

There is really no reason to blame this on a single individual rather than an increasingly toxic corporate culture that's been evident in everything Marvel's done for the past 10 years.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Jiro posted:

:capitalism:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Do the X-Men as a whole count as social issues? How about promoting an alternative lifestyle?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm in the middle of reading Hickman's Avengers run, since I was one of the few people that didn't like it at first. Giving it a second go, and... I still don't like it, so far, though I'm only up to the start of Infinity. I just feel like he does a lot of good mythologizing and world-building, but skimps heavily on the characterization and relies a lot on plot devices over the actual actions of characters. When I realized that the first two stories are pretty much resolved with "the villains mostly just roll over because Captain Universe says hi", that helped me really click on why I'm not digging it.

Sometimes when he slows down and does single-issue stories that aren't as big of a deal to the overall arc, I feel like he does better, but they feel like just moments in a monolithic and glacial run.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Lurdiak posted:

There is really no reason to blame this on a single individual rather than an increasingly toxic corporate culture that's been evident in everything Marvel's done for the past 10 years.

I'd guess the restrictions are more coming from Disney's "literally rewrote copyright law so nobody can ever get Steamboat Willie for free" lawyers than the Marvel end. I count on Marvel to be tone-deaf enough to warn against "alternative lifestyles" and whatnot, but nobody who's ever cracked open a comic book could seriously write in a prohibition against bare midriffs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Finally they figured out what us fans love about Marvel!

*Squints*

a complete isolation from 'social issues', 'alternative lifestyles' and aliens!

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
By "no aliens", they actually mean no talk of, like, Nephilim and poo poo, right?

There goes my Wolfsbane/Nightcrawler team-up pitch...

Covok
May 27, 2013

You know, there is a part of me that thinks they meant some of these restrictions as a way of trying to stop people from making Pro Nazi comic and MRA bullshit and stuff like that (because you know people are going to do that) and they hosed up the wording. But, then, I realize I'm giving them way too much credit.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Covok posted:

You know, there is a part of me that thinks they meant some of these restrictions as a way of trying to stop people from making Pro Nazi comic and MRA bullshit and stuff like that (because you know people are going to do that) and they hosed up the wording. But, then, I realize I'm giving them way too much credit.

I should think that's absolutely a big part of why the wording is the way it is. One of the most famous panel edits of a Marvel work in Internet history is Jay Pinkerton's comic strip which features Spider-Man thinking "But the Holocaust didn't happen!" They want to be covered in every possible way in case they need to slap a C&D on the 4chan crowd.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sexpig by night posted:

Finally they figured out what us fans love about Marvel!

*Squints*

a complete isolation from 'social issues', 'alternative lifestyles' and aliens!

A solid 22 pages of Spider man reading the morning paper.

You can't see the paper and he doesn't comment on it as that breaks several different rules.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Covok posted:

But then they basically outlaw mentioning gays at all and well that thought falls apart.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

CharlestheHammer posted:

But then they basically outlaw mentioning gays at all and well that thought falls apart.

Yeah if that's their aim a much simpler and clearer way of covering that would be something like "Nothing that espouses bigotry, white supremacism, Nazism, etc. in a positive fashion."

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah if that's their aim a much simpler and clearer way of covering that would be something like "Nothing that espouses bigotry, white supremacism, Nazism, etc. in a positive fashion."

Yeah but then someone's going to complain that they're not portraying it in a positive fashion, they're just portraying it, and it's ultimately up to viewers to form their own opinions on complex social issues, because I'm pretty sure fox news has that exact position

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

KaosMachina posted:

Yeah but then someone's going to complain that they're not portraying it in a positive fashion, they're just portraying it, and it's ultimately up to viewers to form their own opinions on complex social issues, because I'm pretty sure fox news has that exact position

Except Marvel editorial gets to be the ultimate judge of that, no matter how strident someone's pro Nazi apologia arguments are. "No pro Nazi poo poo means no pro Nazi poo poo, we aren't interested in hosting a symposium on the merits of white supremacy, pass."

Like I think Covok's kind of reaching with his hypothesis because even if I squint my eyes and turn my head sideways I can't read that list of do-nots and come away with "oh well obviously this is Marvel trying to cover their asses in the case of alt-right assholes wanting to write The Adventures of Why Nazi Captain America Did Nothing Wrong," but if that is in fact what they wanted to do then the solution to that is really quite simple and it's just unambiguously telling bigots and Nazis to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But then they would have to tell some of their own paid writers to gently caress off! Hohohohohonhonhonhon :downsowned:

• Locked thread